• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

TP

Smash Master
I am just now picking up ROB as a secondary or even potential main and I have some questions.

1) What is the best course of action after tripping the opponent with Dtilt?

2) Ganon's Fsmash kills earlier when angled up. Is this true for ROB?

3) What throws are preferred and in what situations?

4) Are there any attacks I should basically never use?

5) How important is glidetossing?

Sudai

Stuff here
I am just now picking up ROB as a secondary or even potential main and I have some questions.
Main or GTFO! I kid~ :p

1) What is the best course of action after tripping the opponent with Dtilt?
Grab at low percents, FSmash at high percents.

2) Ganon's Fsmash kills earlier when angled up. Is this true for ROB?
I've been meaning to test this because it was true for everyone that could do it in Melee, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll be sure to let you know if I ever do get around to testing it.

3) What throws are preferred and in what situations?
D/UThrow to follow-up at low percents.
F/BThrow near the ledge to set up gimps.
UThrow at high percents to kill (160%+, mileage varies based on weight)
F/BThrow near the ledge into a laser to kill (150%+, milage varies based on weight)

4) Are there any attacks I should basically never use?
Side B

5) How important is glidetossing?
It's not 100% needed but it's super helpful if you can get it down. It's basically a free grab/FSmash/USmash.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I always charge the gyro at the beginning of a fight
Same here. It's hysterical watching people randomly shield or spot-dodge when walking towards you lol. It's a free gyro charge.

Oh and @Twilight Prince- I would recommend learning the glide toss. Its not hard, and it is incredibly useful for ROB, who happens to have one of the best glide tosses in the game (Suck it, Peach.). Also, if you have't already, you should also learn the gyro cancel and reverse gyro cancel, as they can come in handy. I would also recommend learning to wavebounce every one of ROB's specials. Especially up-b, but then again that tends to happen automatically lol.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
FSmash doesn't kill any earlier regardless of angle, which is strange since it's still true of some other characters. (e.g. Mario's FSmash kills earlier angled up.) It's only useful for moving the hitbox.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That's good to hear, because I use the down-angled fsmash far more than the others. ****ing short characters...

Sudai

Stuff here
I like to angle it up when trying to break the tornado just because I feel like it has more range that way. Iunno, I think I look at it as a triangle type hitbox where angling would actually effect the range but knowing my luck, it's a rounded hitbox at the end so it doesn't even matter. Lawl.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I am pretty sure the angled up f-smash kills earlier than the angled down one.

I remember testing it out waaay back when I started playing Brawl, and I distinctly remember noticing it.

I also did it in practice mode, because I didn't know diminishing knockback didn't apply there. That's actually a good thing because it made the knockbacks consistent and not based on diminished damage.

I could be wrong though, I was quite a newb at Brawl back then, and I don't have my Wii set up right now to test it (also I am busy working on stupid lab work, also I am distracting myself with lots of TF2).

Arcrandom

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5058-0892
I would just like to start a discussion about ROB's D-air. its basically a kill if you can land it at any %, but the only one's I've seen recover are Pit, Rob, Jiggly, and Meta. what does everyone think about that, since its prbably the easyest to pull of out of any character, its just kinda slow.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ROB's Dair is amazing if the opponent has a predictable recovery and is recovering from below. I've spiked Pikachus, Lucarios, even other ROBs in tournament matches. You just have to know the timing and the best place to use it. I normally like to auto cancel it with the ledge, that way even if I screw up I'm not getting punished for it. ROB really has a very underrated Dair.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Kind of irrelevant...and since I'm still new ehre idk if I should make a suggestion like this but would it be a good idea to make a R.O.B. chat box/room like a xat? No REAL point in it, but just for the hell of it :p

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Like an IRC channel for ROB players or something? I dunno how to do that but if you do, go ahead, I'll get on some nights when I'm free.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Haha Alright...I'll make one later tonight if you guys are still up to it. Its just a simple chatbox :p

If I do make it, I'll need like one more owner (admin) and maybe like 2 mods or w/e. Any ideas on who?

Since I make the box Im auto owner but y'all just ell me what ya want and I'll make it :D

EDIT: I'd also need a picture for the Background...if you have one pm it to me.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
oh

i personally hate those little chatzy boxes of whatever i know this is going to be so i assumed everyone else did too

:x

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I doesnt matter to me wether we have one or not. I jsut saw some of the other boards had one and suggested we'd get one. :p So you want me to make on or not?

@ Sudai Idk what a IRC is...or I do and I'm being just being slow lol Explain pl0x?

Sudai

Stuff here
IRC = Internet Relay Chat

The original form of internet instant messaging. It's still great. It's simple to use once you've gotten used to it too. Iunno, if you haven't had experience with it, starting as a Chanel Operator wouldn't be too good of an idea. XD

I personally don't see the need for a ROB forum chat room as people can just reach me on AIM, MSN, or Yahoo if they really want to talk to me. I've never been a fan of chat rooms either though so yeah. If people want a room, I say make one. Hell, if you're unsure, just make one and post the link up. If it's not active, it's not active. You wasted 30s of your life. :p

TP

Smash Master
MOAR QUESTIONS!!!

1) What are R.O.B.s hardest match-ups?

2) What are the most effective things to do when trying to not die horizontally or vertically? Fair's the quickest aerial, but I saw Bair used a lot in videos...

3) What attacks have disjointed hitboxes?

4) Are there any videos of good R.O.B. players having a "laser only" ditto? If not, there should be.

Sudai

Stuff here
1) What are R.O.B.s hardest match-ups?
GnW, MK

2) What are the most effective things to do when trying to not die horizontally or vertically? Fair's the quickest aerial, but I saw Bair used a lot in videos...
Horizontal: Fast Fall a FAir followed by a double jump.
Vertical: Fast Fall a FAir.

It's all about your fastest aerial to regain control of your momentum. Jumps also help slow your momentum once you can do them. Fast Falling reduces the vertical distance you will fly and when you DI to a corner, that means you'll be able to get rid of more of the horizontal distance since you have more vertical distance to play with. After all that, feel free to BAir to help you get to the stage. If you're not going to die, though, don't bother wasting your double jump. It only helps you live 1-2% longer so I usually don't even bother trying. (I really should have recorded all the testing I did on this over the weekend... x.x)

3) What attacks have disjointed hitboxes?
A lot. All of our aerials. USmash, FSmash, DSmash, UTilt, DTilt (ever so slightly), FTilt (ever so slightly)

4) Are there any videos of good R.O.B. players having a "laser only" ditto? If not, there should be.
This would take longer than Solimar dittos. ZOMG. x.X

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I kinda like the chat room idea. I think it'd be good for newer players to contact ROB veterans on a more personal level than posting a question on the boards (plus it'll keep our boards cleaner). I think a lot of people would probably be too shy to IM one of the top ROBs with a question. And it would be a place for all the ROB players to just hang out and chat about stuff and things, ya know? We sorta do that on the boards but not like we could.

If you do do something like this, I think an in-browser chat room would be simplest, quick and easy to access without having to set anything up.

and :laugh: @ not knowing what IRC is, man I feel really old now...

jjvirus

Smash Champion
In that case, tomorow afternoon my break starts so I'll make the chat (it is in browser). I'll try to find a cool/funny/interesting R.O.B. pic for the background unless someone has one they'd like me to use. Once I have it made I'll post the link in a new thread. Sound good?

buenob

Smash Lord
lol I haven't used IRC since i was like 16 playing CS all the time and using it to #findscrim

I posted it in another thread but it's better to be discussed here...

when you're using tilts a bunch and the other person starts to space themselves properly outside your ftilt range, how do you usually keep up the pressure? I found that as soon as they got out there I had very few options compared to them... the best one I found was hop-back and charge top // laser... what do other people do?

Sudai

Stuff here
Step forward and tilt again if they're just out of range. If they're too far for that, I'll just do a grounded gyro charge. It's pretty safe since you can shield, spotdodge, roll, or jump away near instantly (shield then jump cancel out of the shield for the jump option). Even a quick shield > FTilt/Laser/Anything is pretty safe. Main reason I do it is because of all that safety combined with the fact that if they roll, sidestep, or make any other king of mistake, boom, gyro to the face.

buenob

Smash Lord
I found that a power-shielded ftilt leaves rob pretty open for counter-attack... mostly, all aggro pressure / momentum is lost on the powershield and now i'm attempting to react to them, and they can start zoning me

stingers

Smash Obsessed
That depends on your opponent, really.

If a Snake power shields your Ftilt, you're eating one of his. If a Falco power shields your Ftilt...what can he do?

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, the FTilt option wasn't really meant for people that can outspace you. If they outspace you already, you shouldn't be trying to zone them in the first place.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Anyway...

Are there any other chat box websites besides the one Sudai linked to earlier? I can't stand that chat box x_X the smilies, the background picture...it makes it all so horrible to look at. Everything is just designed horribly and it's not very aesthetic.

buenob

Smash Lord
throwing out the reflector -> trip comes to mind... also dash grab or boosted smash

buenob

Smash Lord
lol sorry about the maybe double post, but no one out-spaces rob :D you just have to change up which moves you use lol...

but like, after getting frustrated once by my ftilts, the guys I was playing with figured out powershield == instant momentum shift, and I kind of chalked it up to me not knowing how to properly use the tilts and stuff... i was kind of hoping people would be like 'lol noob just do this', guess not (should i be happy or sad about that lol)

instead of focusing on that, we were trying out some other level related stuff so i switched back to my reg. style for the duration of the play and haven't had the chance to really experience this situation a bunch

Top Bottom