• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2008 Ballot: Inductees revealed!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has announced it's official Ballot for the year 2008. Here is the list of artists who have been recognized as potential Hall of Famers.

MASS EDIT: The results are in.

The nominees:
Afrika Bambaataa
Chic
Beastie Boys
Donna Summer
Madonna
Leonard Cohen
John Mellencamp
The Ventures
The Dave Clark Five

The Inductees:
The Dave Clark Five
John Mellencamp
Madonna
The Ventures
Leonard Cohen

The Runner-Ups
Afrika Bambaataa
Chic
Beastie Boys
Donna Summer

Comments? Thoughts? Anything you would change?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Velvet Revolver has done nothing for Rock and Roll.

If anyone should be in, it's Cohen. I love his stuff and his amazingly influential to many artists.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
as a large Afrika fan, I say he beyond deserves his spot in the RnRHoF. he's one of the most important and most influencial early hip-hop figures, period. the guy's a complete genius.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Why is it whenever I set up a point system for stuff like this, no one follows it >_>

Just about every single one of them sucks. Im only going to say John Melloncamp.

Velvet Revolver should be in there...
A band has to be at least 25 years old to be considered.

And I certainly hope you're not implying that Leonard Cohen, Afrika Bambaataa and the Beastie Boys suck...

Velvet Revolver has done nothing for Rock and Roll.

If anyone should be in, it's Cohen. I love his stuff and his amazingly influential to many artists.
Yeah, I'd give Cohen a 10. In fact, I'd give him an 11.

It's not JUST For Rock and Roll, they have inducted many other genres and have even stated they want to branch off that stereotype (a la Grandmaster Flash, Donna Summer, Afrika, Miles Davis, etc.) and get more diverse artists in. I would have liked Afrika's main influences Can and Kraftwerk to get in first, but seeing as how the hall hates basically all Kraut, Prog and Hard Rock/Metal, we'll be lucky to get them at all

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Who are the judge of this?
A bunch of old guys? I don't know whom EXACTLY, but there is definitely bias (One said "KISS is not now, never was, or never will be a great band; another said the same about The Monkees)

All of the Rock and Roll icons are missing there. This happens because they're nominating the ones they like, not the ones the people want.
http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/inductee-list/

Those are all inducted so far, the hall is still young and has criteria for recruiting inductees. With only ten choices a year and only an average of five of those get in, it will take time, but if Rush, Yes or Deep Purple don't get in in the next ten years, I WILL do something. And I'm not talking about a petition...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yea, once they added people like Grandmaster Flash and Prince, it lost all credibility.

It's ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame, not music. They aren't rock'n'roll at all. If they want to branch out, use OTHER branches of Rock. (No Vaughan)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yea, once they added people like Grandmaster Flash and Prince, it lost all credibility.

It's ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame, not music. They aren't rock'n'roll at all. If they want to branch out, use OTHER branches of Rock. (No Vaughan)
Wouldn't it be easier if they just called it a MUSIC Hall of Fame, then innovators of every genre could get inducted (Like Prince and Grandmaster Flash). No Stevie Ray Vaughan D:

As for other branches of Rock, progressive/hard rock artists have been overshadowed for far too long. Arguably the only reasons Pink Floyd and Sabbath were considered was that hey were the two most popular and wanted in their genres. If you add Floyd and don't add others like Yes, Rush, King Crimson, etc., somethings wrong. Same for Sabbath and not adding Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, etc.

C'mon, with two words I can justify Deep Purple's position in the Hall: "Machine Head"

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Wouldn't it be easier if they just called it a MUSIC Hall of Fame, then innovators of every genre could get inducted (Like Prince and Grandmaster Flash). No Vaughan D:

As for other branches of Rock, progressive/hard rock artists have been overshadowed for far too long. Arguably the only reasons Pink Floyd and Sabbath were considered was that hey were the two most popular and wanted in their genres. If you add Floyd and don't add others like Yes, Rush, King Crimson, etc., somethings wrong. Same for Sabbath and not adding Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, etc.

C'mon, with two words I can justify Deep Purple's position in the Hall: "Machine Head"
Wait a minute. Deep Purple isn't in the Hall of Fame? Wow. Just...just wow.

As long as Yes continues to be denied admission, than I will continue hating the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

All that being said, just give the award to Mellencamp and call it a day.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Kiss FTW, they've been elligable since what, the 90's? I'm pretty sure they haven't been inducted yet.
Same for Rolling Stones, but I haven't checked in a while.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Kiss FTW, they've been elligable since what, the 90's? I'm pretty sure they haven't been inducted yet.
Same for Rolling Stones, but I haven't checked in a while.
One of the founders (I don't know his name exactly, but I could easily find it) said, and I quote, "Kiss is not now, or ever was, a great band. They will NEVER be a GOOD band." I say let Kiss in, AFTER other Glam-Metal/Shoch Rock artists of the era Kiss were emulating, like Alice Cooper (I'll be pissed if Vincent gets in without any band members) and T. Rex. Possibly Sweet, too.

As for the Rolling Stones, they were inducted same year as the Beatles and Dylan and other huge 60's acts.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
Who are the people that decides these things. personnal dont like any of them but Beastie Boys and Madonna have the best chance.

Top Bottom