• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RoK the Reaper "NEVER GIVE UP" Ike Guide (Updated 8/04/08) 9 AM (CST)

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
wow, this is like the Roy boards all over again. roK making a thread and getting bashed, comboking submitting useless posts, and people who don't play Ike commenting on how bad it is (liked me :)).

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice
Can we end this nonsense please?! This is now classified as a "POINTLESS THREAD". Please stop flaming dudes for no reason when you dont know what your talking about, especially if you're not an Ike player. RoK is ego trippin again, and this only makes Ike players look worse.

P.S.: Again, if you dont play Ike, stop posting stuff that holds no weight and is pointless. Get a life, or a girl, or girl with a life that will help you get a life.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
as much as i hate rok stop flaming him we all know hes every you guys say but it is considered spam so lets keep it to a min.

Wertilq

Smash Rookie
Why is Comboking and Rok so hated, is really grammatical errors, copy pasta, big arrogant ego etc, good reason enough for people to consistently spam their threads, calling them idiots and saying everything they do is crap?

I care about their guides, they may not be 100% right, but do that matter?
They are not bad players, and their opinions about how to play as Ike can make my Ike better. There is no short cut to becoming good, but by reading their guides I can get ideas how to improve myself and start experimenting, if it sucks it sucks, if it's good I start to use it.

So far I like Roks guide I hope he complete it even thought Smash boards is a burning hell of flamers...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Why is Comboking and Rok so hated, is really grammatical errors, copy pasta, big arrogant ego etc, good reason enough for people to consistently spam their threads, calling them idiots and saying everything they do is crap?

I care about their guides, they may not be 100% right, but do that matter?
They are not bad players, and their opinions about how to play as Ike can make my Ike better. There is no short cut to becoming good, but by reading their guides I can get ideas how to improve myself and start experimenting, if it sucks it sucks, if it's good I start to use it.

So far I like Roks guide I hope he complete it even thought Smash boards is a burning hell of flamers...
you haven't been here long enough thats why. most of those flames are from when RoK just said I'm not gana post my guide here because someone said something that was wrong with it right away. he actually said it in a more arrogant tone though.

as for comboking he spams everything else so you can blame karma for his threads being spammed. Comboking either copies stuff that other people wrote or posts pointless 1 sentence replies like he did to you or his last 5 posts in the general Q&A sticky when intelligent conversations are going on.

Wertilq

Smash Rookie
I understand that such things is annoying yes, and listed a few reasons which was possible reason why people were annoyed with them.
Annoyed is one thing, spamming and flaming everything they do is another. No matter what they do nothing makes such behavior acceptable. It makes whole this forum look bad. And it definitely doesn't make them better persons.
If it leads to anything "positive" it leads to them leaving... I don't know what others think, but I don't think that people leaving is a good thing, especially not when they try to contribute to the community.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well comboking leaving might not be so bad he doesn't go to tournaments or even have wifi he said hes like the best where hes at once and that it wasn't saying much. no one actually knows how good he is since theres no vids all he does is post a lot and a lot of people from other boards blame him for the Ike boards being so bad.

IMO its better to do something write or let someone else do it. The only think comboking has done as good as other people could was the index. and I actually think he was pming a lot of mods asking for stickies till one finaly said look make an index and I'll sticky that because the week before he had made like 5 threads and they all had a tag asking for a sticky.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think the problem that most people have with RoK is that he tries to perpetuate the idea that Ike is one of the best characters in the game, it's just that everyone (except him of course) sucks as him. The Yoshi board admits Yoshi sucks. The Link board admits Link sucks. The Bowser, Captain Falcon, Peach, and Shiek boards all admit that their respective characters suck too. This is the only low tier character board where a majority of the people who usually frequent this board still think Ike is a good character. This is probably the biggest reason why most people don't take the Ike board seriously. There are a decent number of smart people here but they get buried underneath all the "ZoMg, IkE iZ dA pWnZoR" fanboys even if there is only one in a thread.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I think the problem that most people have with RoK is that he tries to perpetuate the idea that Ike is one of the best characters in the game, it's just that everyone (except him of course) sucks as him. The Yoshi board admits Yoshi sucks. The Link board admits Link sucks. The Bowser, Captain Falcon, Peach, and Shiek boards all admit that their respective characters suck too. This is the only low tier character board where a majority of the people who usually frequent this board still think Ike is a good character. This is probably the biggest reason why most people don't take the Ike board seriously. There are a decent number of smart people here but they get buried underneath all the "ZoMg, IkE iZ dA pWnZoR" fanboys even if there is only one in a thread.

...when have the sheik boards ever claimed she sucks...are you an idiot?

And lol, Ike isn't low tier, and ****, neither is Bowser..

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
believe me I'd praise roK or CK if they made a good thread... but that has yet to come. @AB, ur right, but even you haven't been here long enough. In the Roy forums, roK would endlessly post guides that nobody really cared about and every guide was the same. When ComboKing arrived at the Roy forums, his posts were newbie. he hasn't changed. don't get me wrong, there are some Ike players who actually care. And it's true that people who don't play Ike and have nothing constructive to say aren't helping. but that's only half the problem. It's because of people like roK that nobody takes Ike (or took Roy) seriously. If I had to guess, I'd put Ike low or low-middle tier. but that's just my opinion. Ike isn't an insane beast. but he can get better. the only way to do that, though, is to make the Ike forums better.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
...when have the sheik boards ever claimed she sucks...are you an idiot?

And lol, Ike isn't low tier, and ****, neither is Bowser..
You have to admit, none of these characters are all that great. We all know all of Ike's problems, Bowser is basically a giant target for anyone who can chain grab (do I even have to mention King Dedede's infinite?), decent range (Game and Watch anyone?), and at least average projectiles, and Shiek has very few KO options and low priority on a lot of attacks. None of these characters have very good recoveries either. To expect any of these characters to be higher than low middle tier is definately asking much.

Also, to save you the trouble, I'm a ****** that has absolutely no idea what I'm taling about. Must you respond the same way to everyone who doesn't see things exactly as you do? You criticize Rok but the irony is that you carry yourself in very much the same manner. Oh well...

@ Handsockpuppet:

Very well put. I agree completely.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
believe me I'd praise roK or CK if they made a good thread... but that has yet to come. @AB, ur right, but even you haven't been here long enough. In the Roy forums, roK would endlessly post guides that nobody really cared about and every guide was the same. When ComboKing arrived at the Roy forums, his posts were newbie. he hasn't changed. don't get me wrong, there are some Ike players who actually care. And it's true that people who don't play Ike and have nothing constructive to say aren't helping. but that's only half the problem. It's because of people like roK that nobody takes Ike (or took Roy) seriously. If I had to guess, I'd put Ike low or low-middle tier. but that's just my opinion. Ike isn't an insane beast. but he can get better. the only way to do that, though, is to make the Ike forums better.
Dude, you ****ing rock. Right on - well said.

Can you morons like CK and RoK stop attention whoring to improve your post-counter and get onto actually improving Ike's game through research and practice? Maybe post some new, helpful material rather than just recycling the bare basics over and over again?

Oh, and by the way - RoK don't you dare call yourself the "Best Ike in TX/US/The World/The Universe". I've seen you play Ike - I wasn't impressed.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm not sure RoK is an attention ***** he's more of a mommy thinks you the most handsome kid in school type. I'm sure a lot of moms said that but some people just let it get to there heads.

I'm actually working on a huge guide which I believe has new things I'm trying to explain match ups in a different way but my knowledge isn't extended to every character and its hard finding info that I'm looking for on some so If any would like to help me feel free to aim me. (now that I showed a few people I keep talking about it lol should have kept quiet a bit longer)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Bowser and Sheik are easy mid tier.

lol Sheik isn't that bad dude, learn to use her. And learn f tilt.

As for Bowser, yeah, he has some bad match ups, and he's a big target, but he's better than Ike, and Ike is around the middle of mid easily.

Eh, I'm not gonna push this much farther, I seriously doubt anyone here knows **** about either of those caracters.

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure RoK is an attention ***** he's more of a mommy thinks you the most handsome kid in school type. I'm sure a lot of moms said that but some people just let it get to there heads.

I'm actually working on a huge guide which I believe has new things I'm trying to explain match ups in a different way but my knowledge isn't extended to every character and its hard finding info that I'm looking for on some so If any would like to help me feel free to aim me. (now that I showed a few people I keep talking about it lol should have kept quiet a bit longer)
I like your style. Finally some innovative thinking for a change. I was thinking of putting together a decent Ike training video that actually demonstrates mid-level Ike techniques and strats to help the lower denominator raise their game a bit. Try to dilate the n00b factor Ike is suffering from on these boards. I want to get together more info first, maybe watch some more decent combo vids first.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know about the ftilt-utilt lock but it is really that useful? Honestly, I don't know because all I've heard is that it's good against heavy characters but can still be broken out of. Also, saying Ike is mid tier definately doesn't sound right to me because that would be like saying Link's mid tier despite his craptastic matchups... As a Mario, Ice Climber, and Ness user, I think I have a pretty good idea of what's around the middle of the road and Ike and Bowser definately don't seem to fill the role.

Smash Apprentice
Can we all stop using the word "tier"? -_-

A "realistic" tier list won't be created for quite some time, and even when it is - I don't think anybody with half a testicle will give a **** about it. I know I sure as hell won't.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can we all stop using the word "tier"? -_-

A "realistic" tier list won't be created for quite some time, and even when it is - I don't think anybody with half a testicle will give a **** about it. I know I sure as hell won't.
dr.mario guy said:
A realistic tier list is actually not far off from the horizon, there are only two-three major variables left out there so far that, IMO, will possible shift the "theoretical" tiers around before we get a realistic list.

#1. Double Jump Renewal (It involves using an DJ and an aerial and regaining the ability to double jump again, IDR what the exact term is. Maybe SJR or some weird acronym.)

#2. Grab Releases/Footstool related tricks.

#3. Glitches/Exploits related to that area.

Once we get in depth in those 3 areas, then an accurate tier list should be pretty easy to conjure up. This shouldn't take very long, the Brawl community is cruising through the boundaries of this game at a pretty fast pace.

About the guide: I'm not really that impressed with the guide. Of course, I'm not interested in Ike stuff in general, nor do I care if others care about my opinion, but it seems lacking. I know it isn't finished, I read that part, but even as a "rough draft" it seems flat and lacking anything "revolutionary" or "advanced".

Kingdom117

Smash Rookie
Hey great guide Rok!
Loved reading that, made me think a bit, I think I came up with a combo more advanced combo with Ike. if it works out i will send it to you so you can overlook it or something.

But awesome guide. Don't listen to the others that poke at ya, no need to listen to them.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
figures that a person who doesn't know how to edit posts would like RoK.
^This

I love noobs.

9and yes, the f tilt is ****ing useful. And most of her aerials lead straight into another attack, and we have a tricky combo to work on that can rack up like 80% damage. I doubt it's gonna be widely used, but it exists. O_O)

Smash Apprentice
A realistic tier list is actually not far off from the horizon, there are only two-three major variables left out there so far that, IMO, will possible shift the "theoretical" tiers around before we get a realistic list.

#1. Double Jump Renewal (It involves using an DJ and an aerial and regaining the ability to double jump again, IDR what the exact term is. Maybe SJR or some weird acronym.)

#2. Grab Releases/Footstool related tricks.

#3. Glitches/Exploits related to that area.

Once we get in depth in those 3 areas, then an accurate tier list should be pretty easy to conjure up. This shouldn't take very long, the Brawl community is cruising through the boundaries of this game at a pretty fast pace.
Yeah, I get that. But how well do you think this first actual tier list will actually be accepted by the Smash community as a whole? Every second fanboy will be screaming "N0! ROFLCOPTOR! MY _______ 1z D3f1n173ly GAAAWD 7I3R!11!1!". You can gather all the statistics and techniques you want, but it'll be hard to get everybody to agree on something solid, even amoung the pro players. It'll be a long time before we get a list that widely accepted and used.

And advice to Kingdom117, don't suck up to RoK - or before you know it he'll be asking for your credit card details.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Dude, you ****ing rock. Right on - well said.

Can you morons like CK and RoK stop attention whoring to improve your post-counter and get onto actually improving Ike's game through research and practice? Maybe post some new, helpful material rather than just recycling the bare basics over and over again?

Oh, and by the way - RoK don't you dare call yourself the "Best Ike in TX/US/The World/The Universe". I've seen you play Ike - I wasn't impressed.
thanks, and i laughed at the last part. in the Roy boards, roK was yelling he was the best Roy in Texas. unfortunately for him, Sethlon was also in Texas, and he was WAY better. then, with a slightly shrinking ego, he yelled he was the best Roy in Dallas. It cracked me up. I guess I could've said I was the best Roy on my street.:chuckle:

Betaz

Smash Ace
thanks, and i laughed at the last part. in the Roy boards, roK was yelling he was the best Roy in Texas. unfortunately for him, Sethlon was also in Texas, and he was WAY better. then, with a slightly shrinking ego, he yelled he was the best Roy in Dallas. It cracked me up. I guess I could've said I was the best Roy on my street.:chuckle:
rofl silly Rok...
also...
**** your rick rolling skills:mad::mad:
good thing I know how to get out of that site;)

Rmag37

Smash Rookie
^ Yay evidence!

I learned three things from this thread
1. Ike's B-air is a kill move.
2. ↓-Throw shifts nicely into æther.
3. The Ike-boards are flametastic.

XACE-K

Smash Master
^ Yay evidence!

I learned three things from this thread
1. Ike's B-air is a kill move.
2. ↓-Throw shifts nicely into æther.
3. The Ike-boards are flametastic.
1. I can't tell if your being sarcastic but I find it good.

2. That's an Ike noob "combo".

3. QFT, I don't even know why I post on these boards.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I use it too. >_> I feel like I suck when I use it, but I can't think of anything better. I try to wait to see if they air dodge and afterwards use aether, but they usually just move out of the way.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I use it too. >_> I feel like I suck when I use it, but I can't think of anything better. I try to wait to see if they air dodge and afterwards use aether, but they usually just move out of the way.
Use u-air. Whenever I use d-throw, most people will expect Aether to come which makes them air dodge right away so you can use u-air after the dodge is over.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
I must've been really bored to finally read this...

I believe you should put "Ike ONLINE/Wi-Fi Guide.", btw. This is because playing with lag makes Ike near high tier. ;)

I also have many other criticisms, but, honestly, I'm way too lazy to list them out. Just thought I'd read the guide by the "Omg, best Ike alive!" and leave some sort of comment.

Top Bottom