• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roku-Kakuto-Geemu Results

MegamanX14

Smash Apprentice
I'm terrible at brawl and I know I would lose. What's your point? Put up or shut up also does not apply to this situation. What am I putting up? That I'd lose in brawl? Great stuff, cause that's definitely what my argument was about.

Anyway, if this is how you guys argue, then I'm done here. I can understand if you guys don't understand basic theory about competitive gaming, but I've made my point very clear and you all disregard it and say "well you'd lose to sovereign so your point is invalid." I seriously feel like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy right now.

:phone:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
MMX, I'm gonna respond to you because I'm bored and I have nothing else to do.

Coaching is detrimental to tournament sets. Brawl is, as Overswarm said, a player (or team) vs another player (or team). Having a coach is using outside assistance. If my friend was watching somebody play throughout an entire day, and I had to play that person, he could sit behind me and tell me everything he was about to do (Since players fall into patterns). I now have an unfair advantage because I have the 1-up WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO THINK ABOUT IT! It is different if I notice all of his habits and abuse them, but it is unfair to have somebody else tell me them during the match. That's like somebody yelling "C4 ON THE RIGHT PLATFORM, MINE ALL THE WAY ON THE LEFT" against a Snake player. It is unfair and puts the person being coached against at an unfair disadvantage.

Also, if you want to argue something and others don't/you don't want to accept their point, it isn't always that person's fault...just saying.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I just wanna stop by and say it's awesome that OS used some ROB, since he's like one of the true original ROBs

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just wanna stop by and say it's awesome that OS used some ROB, since he's like one of the true original ROBs
I'm THE ****in' original ROB, and don't you forget it :p

I saw Sorasin play Kel, and he did very well. I said "I don't want to fight that" so I picked ROB and grabbed the edge repeatedly on Castle Siege, winning via timeout. He CPed me to Pirate Ship, where I was forced to actually attack, and I won a good game. God bless the midwest.

ROB's still bad though.

clowsui

Smash Legend
you misunderstood sov when he said "physically", mmx

he meant in real life physically, as in within the bounds of a game with a coach

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
you misunderstood sov when he said "physically", mmx

he meant in real life physically, as in within the bounds of a game with a coach
Oh wow. I'm so sorry if he actually thought that I meant it like that. Anywho, this topic has been beaten into the ground enough. Great tournament, again.

Thanks OS and Kel for the compliment. I'll continue to improve. Doubles ftw, baby.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
megamanx14 said:
I can understand if you guys don't understand basic theory about competitive gaming, but I've made my point very clear and you all disregard it
What competitive 1v1 game allows coaching? The FGC won't allow you to have a coach on stage at, say, EVO, or to have a coach in the ropes. Starcraft players are in sound proof booths. Heck, even Madden players are not allowed coaches.

What exactly is your precedent for declaring that coaching is somehow "basic theory about competitive gaming"? Most 1v1 games do not allow during-match coaching for reasons already stated.

If you are thinking of Halo or CoD at MLG: Team competitive games where only some information is available to each team is a completely different beast than a 1v1 game where all information is available to both players at the same time.

Finally, outside of gaming there are tons of examples where coaching is limited. Chess? No coaching. Scrabble? No coaching. Jeopardy? No coaching. Soccer? No coaching (only at half time which is the same as between games in Smash). No where in gaming, nor in real life, is coaching considered an intrinsic, basic theory.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
My thoughts on Coaching is.....

Legal ONLY in between matches, not during. Also whether a player is using a coach must be determine BEFORE the set begins (as before the stages have been struck). Also I am willing to have/pay people to be volunteer coaches for players who do not have a coach (provided that they are objective and what not).
The next tourne will have this rule reflected in it.

As for integrity and such, there is a point where in gaming you do have to choose between Winning and Honor. Bending the rules is part of any professional sport (which all of them do coach during a game) and while frowned upon by the audience at time, in the end a win is a win.

Coaching does improve, but don't confuse this with what I call "Back Seat Driving".
Back seat driving is like.... "Jump now, or Up-tilt now" This does not help. What does help is.... "Punish here, or you are not mixing up your ledge recovery here." As for the two minds vs one... it does no good if a player cannot follow that advice right there on the bat.
Coaching is most effective OUTSIDE of the actual match (similiar to instructor)

This is the Midwest. Thus YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO DO WELL ON YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you were good enough, then you're name is Lain or Shugo and even they HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM TO IMPROVE!!!!!

The sooner you realize this and swallow your pride, you WILL get better at a faster rate.

Kirikou Rung

Smash Apprentice
1: Blue Rogue: Good **** pulling outta here with first. Was cool seeing you again, been awhile. Stay snug.
2: AlphaZealot: How many ice teas did you end up drinking? Haha.
3: Overswarm: Was great hanging out again. We're gonna have to do board games sometime. Also that tournament you were talking about has to happen!
4: Sorasin: Good stuff at this, man. I had a feeling you'd beat me this time around, glad to see you've been progressing as much as you have. Keep it up. I wanna see more of your falco upwards in tourney results.
5: Mister Eric: HooGreat weeekend. Thanks for hauling us around, definitely enjoyed it. We've all gotta set up a weekend to just hang out sometime. Miss you guys.
5: Kel: Enjoyed playing friendlies before the tourney. You're falco's legit in all honesty, your snake as well. And it seemed like you enjoyed yourself, regardless of your main being banned. Since you guys live so close now, we should really try to plan something sometime. There's really no good reason not to. Till next time, man.
7: Hilt: X:
7: Renegade: Was cool having you around, man. Good stuff in doubles and street fighter.
9: KassandraNova: Glad you were there! Liked your peach, it seemed like you really had a good time. We're long over due for a board game night. Get with me on facebook sometime, we've gotta set something up!
9: Crash: Good stuff beating me in singles.
9: Carls493: Boo I didn't get to play this guy.
9: Wakka: Mannnnn I miss hanging out with you. Was glad you made it.
13: Karate Lincoln: WHAT A BAD *** NAME LOLLLL. Is this Baro? You were actually a blast.
13: TheKiest: The god damn best TO in the Midwest. I don't even know where to start, lol. Good **** running this. So many clever ideas. I can see how you keep getting people wanting to come back for the next one. I know I do. I had a blast. Keep up the good work.
13: Suyon: 102 Ledge Grabs lmao. Enjoyed our set.
17: Sammy: Enjoyed our mm. Keep making it to tourneys, man. Hopefully if I make it out to another, you guys will be there.
17: MetaFlair: MY MAN. So glad you made it. Car ride up there was a blast. Gonna make sure Louisville and Morehead do something sometime.
17: Luna Lang: Already said it once but congrats on winning bop it XD You were pretty cool to talk to, too. See you next time we all get together for board games!
17: Lumi: Well we got to play one game this time around at least! XD Olimar's stupid. If I make it to another tournament out that way ever, I'll be sure to help you out with the matchup more. Though I don't know when you'll ever face one again rofl.
17: Juu: Enjoyed our money match. Glad you were able to make it, man, it's been too long.
17: JT: Good stuff in our money match XD Hoping to see you guys the next time I make it out to a tourney.
25: T800: We didn't play this time around D: Was cool seeing you, though.
25: Chaz: Pokemon Trainer! Haha, had fun in our friendlies. You were messin me up with squirtle!
25: Sovreign: Good stuff in doubles. Good seeing you again, surprised me, haha.
25: KBRO: Enjoyed our set, man.
Chi: You owe me five bucks XD Enjoyed our set, though. And glad you were able to make it. I was gonna be bummed if you didn't show.

Hahaha, amen.
What about me? :D

Top Bottom