• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Mr. Game & Watch

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Mr. Game & Watch

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Mr. Game & Watch match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Mr. Game & Watch. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 8/9/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4gaw:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +0.5
Default only
Denzill7: +1
Folie: +1
Gamwa: +1
mario123007: +1
NouveauRétro: +1
SeanS: +1
vegeta18: +1
Woohoo982: ±0

Default + Custom
NouveauRétro: +1
vegeta18: +1
Woohoo982: -1 - ±0

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think we (g&w dudes) have the advantage. G&W can bucket star bits i think, and its not too hard to get rosalina in the air. Also, g&w and rosalina speeds are about equal, but i think rosalina is faster in the air.

-1 A bad matchup, but a manageably bad one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ W Woohoo982 : Star Bits is NOT a projectile attack, so Oil Panic is pretty much useless against Rosalina in a default only bout. Also, when inputting a score, make sure that you state if it's default only, or if custom specials are involved.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
@ W Woohoo982 : Star Bits is NOT a projectile attack, so Oil Panic is pretty much useless against Rosalina in a default only bout. Also, when inputting a score, make sure that you state if it's default only, or if custom specials are involved.
If it's fast shooting star bits, then that'll be a problem.
So I guess with costums still can make a difference.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If it's fast shooting star bits, then that'll be a problem.
So I guess with costums still can make a difference.
That's why I said "default only". In a customs bout, Oil Panic can be used against Floaty Star Bit and Shooting Star Bit, but once the bucket is full, Mr. G&W can't absorb any more Star Bit projectiles until he empties out his bucket.

Gamwa

Smash Rookie
NNID
rahunterb
-G&W's Bair is good for short hopping over Luma to get at Rosalina, or is good for hitting a separated Luma to rack up some quick damage, especially if you're caught between the two. His Bair is also good at keeping them apart since the last hit has extra knockback and works to hit either of them away.
-Since G&W is extremely light, Luma is quite nasty with F-smashes starting around 60%-70% on most stages, which is a huge disadvantage for him, especially if you get distracted by Rosalina and Luma's close enough behind you to hit.
-I'm fairly aerial with G&W and so far I feel like they're pretty tied in that aspect, depending on distancing; G&W can recover from her spike if you're quick enough at lower damage percentage, his Bair multi-hits both and usually knocks Luma into uncontrollable freefall for a few seconds, though I don't remember if Uair separates them and I don't think his Dair can get through her Uair for the first few frames of her attack.

As even as I've found a lot of my fights, G&W's light weight puts him at a decent disadvantage on the ground.

-1 Default

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
rosa can juggle game and watch really well with her aerials also up air beats pretty much all of his air attacks, and it isnt that hard to keep a good distance away from gw. He needs to get close to rosa but doesnt have the best approach options, and often has to come from the air, but rosa has a really strong anti air game and is able to zone him out as well as kill gw at really low percents due to his lightweight. I think without customs off, this match is +1 in rosalina`s favour

and i dont think turning on customs will do to much in this match, gw can use the hammer that does multi hits and a more consistant neutral special, but neither of these moves make a huge difference in the matchup if the rosa can keep good distance away from gw which shouldnt be too hard in the neautral. Rosalina`s customs dont help her a huge amount either in this mu either, shooting star and floaty star bits can be bucketed, so i usually think its best to just use the regular star bits in this MU, maybe luma warp and the quick up special, but neither of those moves will change this match up drastically enough. So +1 in rosalina`s favour with customs on as well.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
:4gaw:Mr.Game & Watch
Pros
  • Linkable back air, it is really useful when doing multiple air attacks.
  • Forward air is great for punishing
  • Impressive jab.
  • Judge is a great combo finishing move, but can also be a bit risky.
Cons
  • Light weight, easily get launched.
  • Down air has landing lag.
:rosalina:Rosalina and Luma
Pros
  • Can easily juggle :4gaw:around.
  • Forward air is a great move for giving many damage, or knock opponent off stage.
  • Down air great for air spike.
  • GP can take away :4gaw:chef.
  • Up air with Luma can do easy KO
Cons
  • Also lightweight.
  • Most attacks are slow, if facing a fast pace :4gaw: can be a tough one.
  • A bit fragile without Luma.
  • Huge figure, so easy to get hit.
With some minor buffs for G&W like his downtilt. The MU once again is pretty close.
However, I still think Rosalina has upper hand, especially when there's Luma.
I give +1

Last edited:

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Customs on:
:4gaw: Pros
  • Can bucket shooting star bits and fooating star bits
  • Chain judge is pretty reliable
  • Oil Panic will probably stay the same or be Panic Overload, both are good in this mu.
  • Impressive aerial game.
  • Nice jab.
  • Dtilt and Uair have windboxes.
:4gaw: Cons
  • Light.
  • Down air has landing lag.
  • GP can take away chef.
:rosalina: Pros
  • Insane edgeguarding.
  • Forward air is good for getting :4gaw: Off stage.
  • Up air with luma is an easy KO.
  • Luma Warp.
:rosalina: Cons
  • Every star bit but the regular one can be bucketed.
  • G&W loves when he gets offstage.
  • Light.
  • Weak without Luma.
Id say that this matchup is even or -1 rosalina.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
I feel like Rosalina can stuff our approaches quite well, but she dies just about as quickly as us. I think this MU is more of whoever can get through the each other's wall first, because both characters can rack up a ton of damage if they get the other in the air. It's +1 in Rosalina's favor.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like Rosalina can stuff our approaches quite well, but she dies just about as quickly as us. I think this MU is more of whoever can get through the each other's wall first, because both characters can rack up a ton of damage if they get the other in the air. I'd say it's more or less an even matchup. Slightly in Rosalina's favor.
Is this for the default only setting?

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
People are understating how bad this is. This is definitely +1, maybe even +2 with customs off for Rosa, because if Rosa starts camping G&W has very little options. In my top 3 worst G&W MUs for sure.
Let's look at pros and cons from G&W's side. Customs on.

Pros:
-Bair can launch Luma if he lands while doing it
-Toot toot can kill early if you catch them at just the right percent, depending on ceiling position
-No hitbox on Recovery=free bonus damage offstage, possibility of gimp (depends on stage)
-Trampoline Launch kills lighter characters pretty easily
-Short Order Chef can stun Luma
-Custom Stars can be bucketed, but the result is sadly not an OHKO, and Bucket has a lot of lag if it eats something but isn't filled
-Upsmash kills pretty dang early, is safe on shield, and armors through and punishes dair

Summary: basically, G&W's strength in this matchup is that he won't have a TON of trouble securing the kill at high percents, like he does with a ton of the cast.

Cons:
-Rosa's crazy aerial range almost completely negates his aerial abilities: Rosa nair outranges and outprioritizes everything, dair's disjoint loses to Rosa's crazy long disjoint, uair only suspends her in the air and doesn't beat her dair, and G&W nair just doesn't work.
-Luma messes with G&W's grab combos, which account for 50% of his damage(like he can even get a grab with that darn bodyguard in the way)
-G&W only has one option to get up from ledge on jabbing Rosa, Fire, which can be reacted to with upsmash
-Speaking of jab, Luma's jab finisher kills G&W at like 100%. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. JAB. Heck, a little later and even dash attack will kill.
-Uair has the chance to kill obnoxiously early, multiplied by the fact that G&W is third lightest in the game.
-The range advantage is just TOO big. G&W has no approaches that are safe and knock Luma away, so he'll have to take damage just to kill Luma. He gets spaced out incredibly hard, even against non custom Rosa. Every move G&W has, Rosalina's version has way more range. Meaning G&W cannot win the neutral with Luma there unless the opponent makes an egregious mistake
-non-Short Order Chef is just USELESS here. Luma can just meatshield it if anything
-G&W's OoS is pretty weak against characters with long ranged aerials. No good aerial out of shield meant RosaLuma can pressure G&W at little risk
-How will G&W kill a Rosa who sits in shield past percents where toot toot isn't true anymore (which is like after 80%)? The lack of kill throw is a huge problem.

Summary: So, while chances are G&W will have to get a read to even kill, he's gonna have a hell of a time racking up the damage too. Stage choice is going to play a huge role in this matchup. The unbalanced neutral means Rosa will almost always have a damage advantage, and she will usually win a last hit situation, since G&W will need a hard read while Rosa just needs to find a good punish opportunity.G&W's formidability offstage and the strength of his actual killing tools keep it from being unwinnable however.

Customs off: +2 Rosa
Customs on: +1 Rosa

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mr. Game & Watch is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
It is quite obviously bad, though G&W is quite good at dealing with Luma in my experience (relative to other characters). Namely, through back air (which can beat out Luma's weird jab armor via multihit) and dash attack.

Edgeguarding her is difficult, but definitely possible.

Jab stuff on the ledge can be dealt with through nair, Up B, or a combination. Not great, but a workable solution in theory.

dthrow > Up B is sometimes necessary when Luma is nearby. But when Luma is not nearby, he can dthrow > uair quite early for a kill.

Dash attack is just generally great, and G&W's foxtrotting is excellent, so he can match Rosa's movement quite well for the actual approach once Luma is gone.

Ultimately, however, G&W simply gets camped out. Rosa doesn't do anything that falls into usmash regularly, she can often stall for time (to get Luma back, go for a timeout, etc.) by sitting in shield, and G&W needs hard reads to secure kills most of the time.

In terms of high end G&W results on this MU, Regi seems to have performed quite poorly, not taking a game off of Dabuz when they met and losing to Xaltis very recently. And as for myself, I've done marginally better in terms of results in this MU but was upset by Frozen last KTAR (to be fair to him, he proceeded to defeat J Ribs and John Numbers, but I definitely knew what he was doing and got option covered anyway).

edit: I don't like assigning scores for various reasons, but put down +1

Last edited:

Folie

Smash Apprentice
I don't play g&w in this MU anymore but I'll throw in my amateur opinion

I don't think this mu is as bad as people make it out to be sometimes but it still feels like an uphill climb a lot of the time. The biggest issues I have are landing (not something I usually have issues with) and making progress against rosa once luma is deallt with (like SeanS said, not as hard as people make it out to be). Thankfully, to me it seems like Rosa's somewhat larger size and light weight makes killing easier with smashes and dthrow uair, and gimps are definitely possible when you know how the Rosa plans on recovering.

The thing I don't like most about this MU is how early some of Rosa's punishes can kill, landing or ledge mistakes can mean getting hit by usmash or fsmash and having stocks take p early, and uair punishes on airdodges are p deadly too.

+1 for rosa default. idk anything about customs but I'm told customs actually make this mu easier for G&W

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Ayy it's been a while!
Well, after talking about it and playing it more I've cooled my head about this mu, and it's not baaad bad, just right under "fair".
G&W still gets outranged, but the Rosa has to do a little spacing.
Killing Luma is still an acquired skill but isn't horribly difficult once you get the hang of it.
I find gimping Rosalina easier the more I do it.

G&W still doesn't have a really good punish game against a good Rosa, and Rosa can camp him really well when holding the lead, so he still loses.
But these new fact have given me juuust enough to change the disadvantage in customs off to +1. A hard +1, but still not quite +2. I'll save that for the really bad MUs like *shiver* Fox.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Heres how I approach this match-up, If I land one dash attack, I can land another on luma and another to kill it, I know it's punishable but I think it's necessary. Then go for grabs on Rosa. any character with more Ariel speed than GW will be able to juggle him easily and that's something you have to get used to. The only Rosa I've had trouble with was someone who was much better at the game than me I didn't feel it was a match-up problem

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Heres how I approach this match-up, If I land one dash attack, I can land another on luma and another to kill it, I know it's punishable but I think it's necessary. Then go for grabs on Rosa. any character with more Ariel speed than GW will be able to juggle him easily and that's something you have to get used to. The only Rosa I've had trouble with was someone who was much better at the game than me I didn't feel it was a match-up problem
You are aware that Mr. Game & Watch actually has a better air speed value than Rosalina, right?

Top Bottom