• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - R.O.B.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - R.O.B.

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. R.O.B. match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against R.O.B.. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 7/5/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4rob:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | N/A
Default only
Lizard_Buttock: +1
Underhill: +1
Zonderion: +1

Default + Custom

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
http://smashboards.com/threads/r-o-b-matchup-analysis-8-rosalina-and-luma.396096/ Here's our discussion of the matchup. We decided it was 60:40 to you, though our discussion was implicitly customs-off, and the meta has progressed a bit then. Generally, you can make our zoning useless with Luma, and even reverse it with down-B, and you can really easily get up-air chains on us. However, if we can get Luma away from you (which is pretty simple with gyros), we can put you at a slight disadvantage, but you still have insane juggling and edgeguarding potential, and some really good frame data, so it's not in our favour. Going by your matchup ratings, it's either a +1 or +2 to you.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I agree. I play a R.O.B. fairly often. He can harass with lasers and sometimes the gyro, but a quick jump away with GP can reverse that.
ROB's down special is great at getting rid of Luma. His Nair is good and we have to be careful of his spike as well.

Rosalina can out Zone Rob, and has great disjoints that can run Rob's day. We can edge guard better than Rob. I give this +1 for Rosalina w/o customs.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
So, how do we edgeguard a rob that is going medium high and high, protecting himself with gyros?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Try and place Luma high, where you think he'll recover and be ready to cover his options if he decides to drop.

You can also try sneaking under him and using up air for an early kill, If he is going really high. Just watch out for his spike if you go underneath him. You could always jump into an airdodge and then punish his missed spike.

Mao Gakuji

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to deal with the B after Down B (or the other way around)? I have issues with this since it usually ends up launching my Luma off stage and makes it a bit harder to outzone ROB. Any recommendations?

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
GP are useful against his projectiles as long as you don't get baited for him to punish your end lag. Because of Rob using gyro for edgeguarding because he can use it near the ledge to limit your ledge options(get up and jump, think) for him to either read your roll or you getting off the ledge to attack for spacing. Rob can live longer than Rosalina since he's heavier than her and she's light so be careful of his rage since his attacks can even kill her early. Watch out for the up-throw because he can even get early kills from platforms along with rage. If you know your combos besides out of down-throw and up-throw, then Rob is a easy target for them and getting by your up-airs. If you jab 3-hit finish, then you may get a free combo with your up-air, depending on his di and if you read the air dodge, then free punish. Plus, read the air dodge for a up-air if you can because unless he has a gyro and he can drop it under you, then he can't challenge your dangerous up-airs any of his aerials. Be careful of his zoning because of his aerials, gyro, and lasers. Jumping over the lasers and gyro may help along with Power-shielding(but Luma will get hit). Up-tile and up-smash as anti-air moves when needed. Don't challenge his up-smash while landing if you get jiggled. Plus, watch out for the gyro because he also mindgame and bait your landing with them for him to punish. I think her b-air(or SH) can deal with his n-air along with her forward-smash(but spaced, though), and maybe star-bits. To deal with gyro, dash attack, SH aerial, SH air dodge to catch the gyro, but time it right so you won't get landing lag or try to less. Edge-guarding, B-air and down-air(along with Luma's hitbox) are your to go for gimping. Also, if you have the gyro in your hands, mix up it by z-drop to bait an air-dodge for a gimp or pressure him off-stage with it by limiting his ledge options. Down-smash for a ledge punish(or kill), down-tile, down-air(halo hitbox) to spike Rob down, and angled forward smash for ledgeguarding. Also, place Luma near the ledge for you to limit his ledge options for pressure and if he rolls, then down-smash to-go hit. Plus, if he tries jump away off-stage from the ledge, there's a few things you'll see. One, jumping to attack you so if you see it, punish him however you can. Two, if he grabs the ledge again, then free ledge punish or kill with Down-smash or aerial(back-air for a stage spike). If he tries to recover high(and go for the platform), then use your up-air or up-smash if he tries n-air. Plus, bait out an attack from him or a air dodge if you can for a punish. If he tries to recover medium, then forward smash, jab, baiting, reading his landing, or mindgame.

Stages: Lylat Cruise, avoid it because he does well with in it, thanks to his size, range, and projectiles and the moving stage can screw over your recovery. Duck Hunt is ok because both can live longer(Rob mostly), and can't stage spike each other. Battlefield, Rob can use the platforms for his projectiles to bait, combo, and trap, and also can early kills with up-throw; Plus, SH aerials as well under the platforms and jiggle her under them. Rosalina can SH aerials under the platforms for mindgame, zoning, and pressure. Also, thanks to her height and range, she can up-tile and up-smash under the platforms and jiggle Rob more and give him trouble, landing so this stage is good for both of them. Delfino Plaza, while Rob can get early vertical kills with up-throw and up-air, Rosalina can do the same as well with up-smash, up-air, up-tile, and up-throw, thanks to the low ceiling so this stage may help her more because of Rob's weight for her up-air to combo and even get early kills with Luma. Same with Halberb. Dreamland, ok for both of them since its similar to Battlefield, but with alittle more space, the wind blowing, and the ceiling being alittle lower.

Customs: I got nothing on Rob's and only on Rosalina's.

Results: This MU favors Rosalina by +1 in Default only; No customs. :4rob: can live longer, edgeguard, jiggle, and use his projectiles on Luma(even if Rosalina power-shield). :rosalina:can jiggle better because of Rob's weight and unsafe landings(outside of gyro), deal with his projectiles with GP so camping won't work much, get through his zoning with Luma, combo him, and also gimp him as well. So, she can get through his options with zoning of her own, use GP, and he's combo-meat for her if you know her strings and combos so get out there and take him down.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
when does Robs throws kill?, regular stages and comparison to t&c
Up throw, I say by 126% fresh on Battlefield on the top platform. Up throw on 140 or 150% fresh by itself. Rob players will mostly use that throw.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
R.O.B. is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Don't gravitational pull the gyro, save it for the (easy to predict) laser. If you pull the gyro, Luma will just eat the laser afterward and it will put her out of commission for a few seconds.

If you space your uair poorly, ROBs nair will hit you and Luma. Try and position yourself so you hit ROB directly below instead of at an angle and pay attention to how far into the animation ROB is in.

ROB can't airdodge out of his Up B and it's slow. On top of that, aside from nair which has startup, there's nothing ROB can do to contest a well spaced dair for the early kill offstage.

ROB's Dthrow -> Uair can hit Luma which can extend the duration of the hitbox, so be careful.

Nair in general is annoying but you have little reason to be going in recklessly against ROB.

Don't get grabbed and fortress and you're going to be A-OK in this matchup.

Source: Former ROB main and now a ROB secondary.

Royug

Smash Cadet
Don't gravitational pull the gyro, save it for the (easy to predict) laser. If you pull the gyro, Luma will just eat the laser afterward and it will put her out of commission for a few seconds.
Are you sure Rosalina can't protect herself and Luma from both of those with GP ? Since the active frames for GP are really long, I feel like (and I'm pretty sure it happened to me before) that Rosa can GP a gyro then counter the laser with a second GP or by shielding. Cause the timing at which the ROB player must shoot his laser after Rosa pulls the gyro with GP without her having the time to react seems pretty strict. Either the ROB will shoot his laser too soon, then it will be absorbed by the last frames of GP, either he will shoot it too late and Rosa will be able to GP a second time or shield.

Anyway, whatever the reality is, I think pulling the gyro with GP can be a good thing sometimes. Since the laser has a cooldown and must be recharged for a moment before being at full power again, but not the gyro, I think Rosa can GP the gyro if ROB already used his laser not long ago, when it's not a big threat for at least some time. Then it becomes an advantage for Rosa, because she can throw it back at ROB, and ROB can't use another gyro as long as there's already one on screen, right ?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Cant rob challenge a dairspike with an upair?
Also, what should rosa do to edgeguard aggresivly against a rob that recovers high and throws projectiles?

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Cant rob challenge a dairspike with an upair?
Also, what should rosa do to edgeguard aggresivly against a rob that recovers high and throws projectiles?
If it's the dair spike probably, but the dairspike is the less reliable of the kill options offstage. Luma's dair is what you're gonna want to be killing with offstage. It's safer, more reliable, stronger, and easier to land. ROB's uair has very little horizontal coverage and Rosa's dair has huge horizontal coverage. You need to be just half awake to space it properly.
Are you sure Rosalina can't protect herself and Luma from both of those with GP ? Since the active frames for GP are really long, I feel like (and I'm pretty sure it happened to me before) that Rosa can GP a gyro then counter the laser with a second GP or by shielding. Cause the timing at which the ROB player must shoot his laser after Rosa pulls the gyro with GP without her having the time to react seems pretty strict. Either the ROB will shoot his laser too soon, then it will be absorbed by the last frames of GP, either he will shoot it too late and Rosa will be able to GP a second time or shield.

Anyway, whatever the reality is, I think pulling the gyro with GP can be a good thing sometimes. Since the laser has a cooldown and must be recharged for a moment before being at full power again, but not the gyro, I think Rosa can GP the gyro if ROB already used his laser not long ago, when it's not a big threat for at least some time. Then it becomes an advantage for Rosa, because she can throw it back at ROB, and ROB can't use another gyro as long as there's already one on screen, right ?
Rosa probably can cover both, but you don't want to be in the situation where you're GPing twice in a row. It's already a laggy move and getting in the habit of using it twice in a row will mean death for you eventually. And yeah, GPing the gyro can and is good. I was really just thinking of a specific situation where you're at that magical range where ROB will just keep throwing both out until something happens. In normal situations if you can read the gyro, GPing CAN be good. But like I said before, getting in the habit of GPing will get you killed. Use it sparingly and deliberately and you'll be fine but any more and you're asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom