• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ghirahim is practically one of the Zelda characters that stands the most chance of getting in.

And he stands out because people like him. :awesome:
I'm sure. Just like Zant before him.

Or how wildly popular Midna was.

Don't forget that Midna was popular enough that Nintendo acknowledged her popularity as well and said she might return for future games because of it.

Ghirahim is no different than ANY other Zelda character before him

He's a fad that will probably die out the next time a Zelda game is released

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
What about the possible chances of Anna being in Smash. She (well her lineage) has been in practically every Fire Emblem game. Recently playable in Awakening.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What about the possible chances of Anna being in Smash. She has (well her lineage) been in practically every Fire Emblem game. Recently playable in Awakening.
I don't think she's really all that likely. I'd be cool with her getting in, but I think that it's far more likely that we'd get another lord.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, I would really like Henry of all characters. I know it won't happen, but he's just so casually psychotic it's hilarious.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
asdfghjkl *Swoons*

I just wanted to have Marth, Roy, and Ike playable in Brawl, all 3 reps. We were so close too. I guess it wasn't meant to be (though I understand why). Though, if Star Fox apparently has enough merit to have 3 reps, I don't see why can't FE or even 4.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
over roy, chrom, lyn, lucina, and others not a chance
Hmmm... I guess but out of all of the FE characters she is the one that reoccurs the most. Like it has been discussed many times on this thread. Popularity has nothing to do with a characters chances. I do agree she seems unlikely, i'm just throwing darts at a wall here.

P.S I'd help out for Young Justice. I can care less for Green Lantern.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Seems that spoiler tags work like the previous forum's collapse tags... I liked the previous version better, oh well.

As for Fire Emblem... I think the series could warrant 4 characters. The main problem is the fact that most protagonists (Lords) are blue haired swordsmen (we have Marth, Sigurd, Seliph, Ike, Chrom and Masked Marth). With Awakening's success, they will likely add Chrom. Considering that Marth is iconic (being the protagonist of the first game), we could see at least Marth and Chrom as FE reps in SSB4. Even if both Ike and Roy return, we still have three blue haired swordsmen representing FE, and could give a wrong image of the FE series for those who don't know the series.

Of course, the whole blue haired swordsmen is just a pathetic excuse, but it exists anyway and harms the possibility of a more varied roster, regarding the FE series.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Hmmm... I guess but out of all of the FE characters she is the one that reoccurs the most. Like it has been discussed many times on this thread. Popularity has nothing to do with a characters chances. I do agree she seems unlikely, i'm just throwing darts at a wall here.

P.S I'd help out for Young Justice. I can care less for Green Lantern.
Popularity is what is helping mewtwo, roy, waluigi, and is what got sonic in in the first place

but you get an up-vote for helping out on young justice :)

anyways

have you guys seen this

makes me want snake to return, and I don't even play as snake

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
For me id like to see 3 FE reps

Marth (shadow dragon design)
Ike (Radient Dawn design)
Chrom

And perhaps give chrom the ability to change his class or at least some B specials that involve his lance. Theres plenty they could do with them, just because they are all swordsman doesnt mean they couldnt be as different as night and day.

D

Deleted member

Are you freaking kidding me? I gotta be connected to use the 720? I've put so many hours into my 360 that I'd hate to have to always be connected to just even use it. Here's to hoping that in the worse case scenario, that fighting games will be brought to the Wii U much more often. In other words, I want Chrono Phantasma, Tekken 7, Street Fighter 5, etc. on the Wii U in the future.
Ayep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJkHSUwixT4

AlphaOmegaSin isn't the best source, but he sites his sources, and his banter is entertaining to say the least.

Here's the original source:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/06/xbox-720-allegedly-requires-online-connection

I also recall seeing some patents for the PS4 to make it so that games are locked to your account. I can't remember the source but I posted it on /v/ ages ago. Basically it comes down to greed. Both Sony and M$ are trying to do away with used game sales.

Meanwhile you have based-Nintendo run the eShop in a way very reminiscing to the GLORIOUS Steam.

Nintendo+PC MustardRace for the Next Gen.

What saddens me is that IGN and all the fanboys are HYPED for this ****. It's like someone delivering **** on a platter while bitchslapping you across the face and you thanking them and asking for more... I've lost faith in modern culture.

As for what I wanna see, it's not BB on WiiU (though with MiiVerse it mite be cool), but Chrono Phantasma on Steam, that would make me *** buckets. There should be more fighters on Steam. UMvC, KoFXIII, BlazBlue, TTT2, DoA5, etc... SSF4AE isn't enough, and SFxT is garbage.

Anyway, on topic. Haven't played Awakening yet, but from the few trailers I've seen, the resemblance between Ike and Chrom is too similar. Now I see why some people say they couldn't see Chrom and Ike in the same game. PoR Ike and Chrom are near identical. RD Ike sets himself apart in combat, but the personalities are still very similar.

So, I could see Ike not coming back tbh. Just going by how lazy Sakurai can be, and knowing he's not gonna revamp him completely to make a different and original character.

volbound1700

Smash Master
When I talk to most neutral fans, most of the big additions to the new Smash are third parties. Someone pointed out that Cloud and other big Final Fantasy Characters should be in the game. Megaman, Pac-Man, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Llyodd Irving, Amaratsu, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. area bigger additions than most if not all the 1st parties left out there.

Also take into account the hype other Sonic characters would also bring to the series (i.e. Tails, Knuckles, Shadow) or even other Sega Franchises (Toe Jam and Earl, Nights, Super Monkey Ball, Shinobi, etc.)

Nintendo is running out of big options outside of the Third Party World.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When I talk to most neutral fans, most of the big additions to the new Smash are third parties. Someone pointed out that Cloud and other big Final Fantasy Characters should be in the game. Megaman, Pac-Man, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Llyodd Irving, Amaratsu, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. area bigger additions than most if not all the 1st parties left out there.

Also take into account the hype other Sonic characters would also bring to the series (i.e. Tails, Knuckles, Shadow) or even other Sega Franchises (Toe Jam and Earl, Nights, Super Monkey Ball, Shinobi, etc.)

Nintendo is running out of big options outside of the Third Party World.
Lol. So much lol.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Oops I saw FE and I thought you guys were talking about Final Fantasy. Sorry for going off topic. You guys were talking about Fire Emblem.

JPW

Smash Ace
man this place still seems bugged. Took me 4 times to sign in.

I believe it not just popularity that helped Sonic's chances. It most likely was a factor. But i believe History also played a great part. It's the 90's it was Mario vs Sonic. There was a full on rivalry there at times. Playground Wars. Who's better Mario or Sonic? It's still there today, though Mario is the clear winner now because no one can forgive "Sonic 2006". But History had to be on Sakurai's mind all the time. I'm pretty sure he expected everyone to suggest Sonic even when he showed, Snake because that opened up the door, if Snake's in does that mean Sonic has a chance? How will the people go? Sonic been on Nintendo consolesx and his games have actually sold better when on a Nintendo Console or Handheld.
What got Snake in? The only person begging for Snake was the creator of the franchise. Why did Sakurai put him in or even consider him? History? he was relevant to Nintendo also. Sakurai was quoted for "Third Parties to be eligible they've had to be on a Nintendo Console at least once"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I also recall seeing some patents for the PS4 to make it so that games are locked to your account. I can't remember the source but I posted it on /v/ ages ago. Basically it comes down to greed. Both Sony and M$ are trying to do away with used game sales.

Meanwhile you have based-Nintendo run the eShop in a way very reminiscing to the GLORIOUS Steam.

Nintendo+PC MustardRace for the Next Gen.

What saddens me is that IGN and all the fanboys are HYPED for this ****. It's like someone delivering **** on a platter while *****slapping you across the face and you thanking them and asking for more... I've lost faith in modern culture.

As for what I wanna see, it's not BB on WiiU (though with MiiVerse it mite be cool), but Chrono Phantasma on Steam, that would make me *** buckets. There should be more fighters on Steam. UMvC, KoFXIII, BlazBlue, TTT2, DoA5, etc... SSF4AE isn't enough, and SFxT is garbage.
Come to think of it, I haven't heard Nintendo say anything on used games. But yeah, having more fighting games on Steam or WiiU would be great. I can easily see a huge audience for BlazBlue and the MiiVerse is perfect for fighting games just based on the concept of it - as not everyone knows of message boards for specific games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nintendo and PC Is what I did last gen, and will probably continue into this gen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyone think that 3rd party companies should get a bonus AT to represent their other series?

For example, Sega would get Sonic as a character and NIGHTS as an AT. And Konami would get Snake as a character and Simon Belmont as an AT.

What do you think?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It would be cool to see I guess, but I severely doubt either company would put that much effort into such a cameo.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
A company would be lucky to get one of their characters into Smash, one rep per 3rd party is enough. I'm still not fond of 3rd Party characters to be even incuded in the Smash games, let alone 2 reps for a 3rd party series. But hey that's just me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Miiverse would be very welcomed for Super Smash Bros. in particular. If implemented right, we could make whole communities and tournaments without the reliance on Smash Boards.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
True, but I'm willing to bet that 90% of those communities will be casual communities (The other 10% being the likes of Smashboards and other competetive sites). However, I do agree that tournaments could greatly benefit from Miiverse.

Imagine Sakurai occasionally posting things regarding Smash. Like upcoming DLC, or even hints towards the game. (if we get a community before the game.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Miiverse would be very welcomed for Super Smash Bros. in particular. If implemented right, we could make whole communities and tournaments without the reliance on Smash Boards.
At the very least, it'll be a start. Smashboards and Facebook would be much more efficient to work with. Miiverse would be perfect for asking quick questions and to start networking.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Let's just hope for the sake of my head that the internet doesn't blow Donkey Kong chunks like with Brawl. I mean, I'm not expecting Grade AAA internet, but something better then matches with -200 fps and disconnections up the ass.

Brawl's internet was pretty abysmal in general, which is a huge disappointment considering the Super Smash Bros. games are pratically begging for online play.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart Wii is the best example of what Nintendo games are capable of with online gameplay. You had leaderboards, random matches (regional or worldwide), allowed you to go online with a guest, heck it even had its own Wii channel and still to this day, a variety of tournaments to participate in. And that was just on the Wii.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I hope Sakuai & Co. goes down the road of a BETA for SSB4. It can really help iron out the kinks for the game's online structure. Plus many people are so anxious to get their hands on the game.

Nintendo seems to be warming up to online play more-and-more. Mario Kart 7 was able to have 60fps online with few hick-ups. SSB4 online should be loads better than Brawl, given the simplistic nature of the game and other teams that have online experience.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So on that PS4 everyone is hyping the **** out of it. Though I still think it'll flop. At least both it and the Xbawks should. According to patents, both force you to have a connection to play games. But IGN and the like wont stop sucking Phony's ****. Don't wanna sound like fanboy, but refusing to accept the WiiU as a next gen console was a low ****ing blow.
I don't think the PS4 and next X-Box will bomb anywhere except perhaps Japan (and that is mostly due the Japanese market being mostly handhelds nowadays, and them never having been keen on X-Box).

In the American market, both consoles will perform fine (at the very least their first several months will have higher sales than the Wii U). The rumored pricepoint for them is $400-450 (with $500 being the absolute highpoint for them), so the pricepoint will be more affordable than when the 360/PS3 launched (especially the PS3).

In Europe, both consoles have a very good chance of having subpar sales due to the poor economy in much of Europe right now. However, the PlayStation brand is still quite strong there (the only territory that really took to the X-Box there seems to have been the UK).

I think the more disconcerting thing about those two consoles is the rumor about them disallowing used games. However, I don't think even that would be enough to impede their sales (just look at how popular anti-consumer DLC has been).

I think the Wii U right now has a very cloudy horizon in the West. Nintendo will have to get out a lot of software this year in order for the console to be successful long-term in the West. Getting out Mario Kart for this holiday season with a small pricecut ($50) would at the very least keep the Wii U's sales from being anemic.

The 3DS's Western sales are also disconcerting. The 3DS this January in the West sold more poorly than any of the DS's January sales (with the exception of the years where the 3DS was already released). The only three bullets Nintendo has to make the 3DS more successful in the West is another price cut, Pokemon X/Y, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I think Smash 4 3DS also has the potential to drive a lot of 3DS hardware sales.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Not as much as you think, unless the game does something revolutionary.
I think the 3DS version of Smash 4 could end up selling more than the Wii U version if for no other reason but the fact that there will be far more 3DS owners than Wii U owners by the time Smash 4 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom