• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I'm not counting on Krystal showing up (nor do I want her). She wasn't in the last game, and the games she has been in weren't received very well. There's already 3 characters for StarFox, which already seems excessive.

And another thing. Geno is a vastly overrated choice. He's a one-shot character, a partially third party character, and a boring, forgotten character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not counting on Krystal showing up (nor do I want her). She wasn't in the last game, and the games she has been in weren't received very well. There's already 3 characters for StarFox, which already seems excessive.

And another thing. Geno is a vastly overrated choice. He's a one-shot character, a partially third party character, and a boring, forgotten character.
Unlike Waluigi, who is a no-shot character

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never said he was likely (but I would like him). Probably a touch more likely than Krystal, better chance than Geno.
I doubt that.

Sakurai has noticed the interest in Geno from 2 polls, while Waluigi still hasn't become more relevant than he was 4 years ago. Not even appearing in the last Mario Kart

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I doubt that.

Sakurai has noticed the interest in Geno from 2 polls, while Waluigi still hasn't become more relevant than he was 4 years ago. Not even appearing in the last Mario Kart
And Geno was in one game almost 20 years ago, has since made a minor cameo once, and has the legal issues.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'd bet that the criteria isn't really criteria seeing as they're so subjective, I'd call it more of a ladder with one hidden step.

1. Popularity gets a character noticed.
v
2. Can they be a unique character?
v
3. Would they fit into the style of Smash and not have a moveset that's overly complicated or time consuming?
v
4. How much would they add to and effect the game as a whole (balance)?
v
5. The hidden step, Sakurai's final and subjective opinion on the character as a whole. Currently only 4 characters that weren't in Brawl are actually this far:

Mewtwo, Roy, Saki, Takamaru.

Dixie and Ridley are close, but are stuck on step 3 based on Sakurai's comments about them. Though in Dixie's case, I'd say time was a slightly bigger factor.

Just can't forget though, that the entire time while on the ladder, it's all still subjective and each character can also have minor conditions as well. Ex. Sakurai wanting Takamaru to get another game before hand/is worried about his Japanese only status.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And Geno was in one game almost 20 years ago, has since made a minor cameo once, and has the legal issues.
Which means he's JUST as likely as he ever was, while Waluigi has lessened.

You think he would have appeared in a mainstream title by now

D

Deleted member

I'd bet that the criteria isn't really criteria seeing as they're so subjective, I'd call it more of a ladder with one hidden step.

1. Popularity gets a character noticed.
v
2. Can they be a unique character?
v
3. Would they fit into the style of Smash and not have a moveset that's overly complicated or time consuming?
v
4. How much would they add to and effect the game as a whole (balance)?
v
5. The hidden step, Sakurai's final and subjective opinion on the character as a whole. Currently only 4 characters that weren't in Brawl are actually this far:

Mewtwo, Roy, Saki, Takamaru.

Dixie and Ridley are close, but are stuck on step 3 based on Sakurai's comments about them. Though in Dixie's case, I'd say time was a slightly bigger factor.

Just can't forget though, that the entire time while on the ladder, it's all still subjective and each character can also have minor conditions as well. Ex. Sakurai wanting Takamaru to get another game before hand/is worried about his Japanese only status.
I still see them as criteria given that all characters in Brawl do meet them, but this method could work as well.

Perhaps I could gather up all of the semi-frequently mentioned choices and do a ladder like system and see how it changes.

That said, it is rather interesting that we've never discuss criteria to this extend on the previous thread before. If there was one thing we didn't discuss in depth on the Wii-U thread, it was this one (or perhaps I skipped some discussion about it in the Wii-U thread)

@PsychoIncarnate and Waluigi: I say both of you can come to the mutual agreement that Geno and Waluigi, while I would like to see them, are unlikely due to their utter lack of importance. Which is too bad as with their popularity, importance may all be left that they need to become strong contenders.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
@PsychoIncarnate and Waluigi: I say both of you can come to the mutual agreement that Geno and Waluigi, while I would like to see them, are unlikely due to their utter lack of importance. Which is too bad as with their popularity, importance may all be left that they need to become strong contenders.
Indeed, legal issues not withstanding.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I still see them as criteria given that all characters in Brawl do meet them, but this method could work as well.

Perhaps I could gather up all of the semi-frequently mentioned choices and do a ladder like system and see how it changes.
Of course all the characters in Brawl met them, they got in didn't they? :awesome:

My problem with the criteria is that they don't take into account/forget that Sakurai's interest and opinion is literally everything. Without Sakurai's interest being a factor most any character could fit into the criteria based on someone's very subjective opinion.

Probably should go back and change my wording on the first step, as it's also about standing out/being a major character, any character can have some form of popularity and be subjectively twisted in there.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
The subject of a certain criteria for entrance into Smash is really debatable as well as some of the characters that are up for suggestion, say for instance the post that stated that Pac-Man was an overrated suggestion & even though Namco is working on the game there's no real chance he may get in, when Pac-Man in that exact statement meets Criteria 1-3, Overrated can be debated as popularity, which can make someone pick up the game overrated or not, Uniqueness of being from another company as snake & sonic was aswell as being a definite fit in the smash Universe looking back on the history between PM & Nintendo, as for Criteria 4 that is debatable since there is no way to tell how sakurai & the team will handle the character only speculation, which personally favors in Pac-Mans inclusion, & if you break down the criteria instead of looking at it as a whole a lot of the suggestions formed in this thread or even the sub-forum for smash bros. can easily match two or more of the essential criteria. So saying they can make it because they can't meet all four criteria kinda contradicts pre-exisiting characters like R.O.B, who is although Unique, isn't gonna make someone pick up the game, nor does he really fit in the game, being the only artifical/mechanical life form which somewhat brings balance presence wise, but moveset wise, closely resembles Pit in a Robot fashion which isn't bringing balance, but is copying pre-existing balance, if you would call it that. Some characters are debatable, some are Bias *coughcoughtoadcoughcoughstarfycoughcough* but to each his/her own

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I went ahead and put together a newcomer pool of 36 that I think have a shot.

That being said, I put anyone on here if they at least had some sort of a shot. And Chibi-Robo, for kicks.

Perhaps a bit controversial, but eh. To each his own. I just wanted to cover all the bases.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I went ahead and put together a newcomer pool of 36 that I think have a shot.

That being said, I put anyone on here if they at least had some sort of a shot. And Chibi-Robo, for kicks.

Perhaps a bit controversial, but eh. To each his own. I just wanted to cover all the bases.
I noticed you didn't put Dark Samus, do you not think that she/it can fill up a third Metroid character slot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Crap. I knew I forgot something. She's on there in spirit (In other words, I'm too lazy to adjust it, but she should be there. :p)

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Crap. I knew I forgot something. She's on there in spirit (In other words, I'm too lazy to adjust it, but she should be there. :p)
It's all good, i just can't stand how people want all these new Pokemon and Mario reps, when there are already like 6 or 7 of each, but there is yet to be a complete new second Metroid character. And i mean a separate one on the screen, not like Zero Suit. King K. Rool would be cool too for Donkey Kong. I don't even know why people want Tetra and Tingle, i have no idea how they could work, because as i remember it, Tingle was a mapmaker and i don't even know about Tetra. MegaMan and PacMan would be fine, i didn't play Kid Icarus, I'm good with a new Fire Emblem character, but just one new one. Krystal wouldn't be good because Star Fox already has 3 slots that are all similar to each other, so one more character for a series that only had 5 games isn't a good idea, especially since a couple of those games were spent in a ship. I didn't play F-Zero much, but i would be fine with the Black Shadow guy, i don't know about his moveset but whatever works. I'm pretty sure Porky wouldn't get in because he is a boss so... Ray would be cool, because he has like a robot armor thing. Mii wouldn't work because Nintendo doesn't want to tarnish the avatars with violence. I don't really care about the rest, so no new star fox, pokemon (maybe one), and mario characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's all good, i just can't stand how people want all these new Pokemon and Mario reps, when there are already like 6 or 7 of each, but there is yet to be a complete new second Metroid character. And i mean a separate one on the screen, not like Zero Suit.
I agree, which is why I see Ridley as a lock, essentially, with Dark Samus as a possibility.

King K. Rool would be cool too for Donkey Kong.
He's definitely one of my most wanted.

I don't even know why people want Tetra and Tingle, i have no idea how they could work, because as i remember it, Tingle was a mapmaker and i don't even know about Tetra.
Toon Zelda/Tetra is there mainly due to the "Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik" in the Brawl beta. Tingle has a few supporters, mainly because he got a spinoff series.

MegaMan and PacMan would be fine,
As of late, these are the 3rd Parties that get tossed around the most.

i didn't play Kid Icarus,
Nor have I (I lack a 3DS and don't have the original). But from what I've seen through videos, it's good.

I'm good with a new Fire Emblem character, but just one new one.
Personally, I'm banking on Marth/Ike/Krom, with Roy if they have some extra time.

Krystal wouldn't be good because Star Fox already has 3 slots that are all similar to each other, so one more character for a series that only had 5 games isn't a good idea, especially since a couple of those games were spent in a ship.
I'm personally betting against Krystal, but when it comes to any additional StarFox rep, she's the best bet.

I didn't play F-Zero much, but i would be fine with the Black Shadow guy, i don't know about his moveset but whatever works.
Many people who want Black Shadow want him to take Ganondorf's old moveset to declone him, but he could be unique as well. Just an observation. I personally like Goroh more.

I'm pretty sure Porky wouldn't get in because he is a boss so...
I thought you liked Ridley though. :troll:

But I'd consider him due to the fact that he's a Mother villain from both Ness and Lucas' games, as well as the fact that he has a mini spider mech in Earthbound. He could be interesting that way.

Ray would be cool, because he has like a robot armor thing.
He's a cool guy. I need to play Custom Robo some time soon...

Mii wouldn't work because Nintendo doesn't want to tarnish the avatars with violence.
They boxed in Wii Sports and knocked each other off bridges and beams with swords in Resort, as well as shooting each other out of the sky.

I don't really care about the rest, so no new star fox, pokemon (maybe one), and mario characters.
I just want to say that I personally don't want all of these, or think all will get in (obviously). These are just the ones I think have a shot.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I agree, which is why I see Ridley as a lock, essentially, with Dark Samus as a possibility.
I thought you liked Ridley though. :troll:
But I'd consider him due to the fact that he's a Mother villain from both Ness and Lucas' games, as well as the fact that he has a mini spider mech in Earthbound. He could be interesting that way.

They boxed in Wii Sports and knocked each other off bridges and beams with swords in Resort, as well as shooting each other out of the sky.
I just want to say that I personally don't want all of these, or think all will get in (obviously). These are just the ones I think have a shot.
Well Ridley is Ridley, and if he says he can be in smash you sureshooting better believe its gonna happen. But with him the main argument is size, even though in the first couple metroids and i mean by release date, he is barely bigger than Samus. But i never played Earthbound or Mother, but my friend said Porky was weird, and that you went back with him in time and aborted a baby? He is established as a robot boss while Ridley is a Space Dragon that was beat by DDD.
And the Mii, Nintendo wants them to remain neutral as avatars, because in Sports it was just in fun, but to fight and attack would change the image. Not that he couldn't use all the different sports equipment to fight. Like throw a baseball and hit with a sword or roll a bowling ball.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
people that should be removed:
MK

Diddy Kong

Wario

Toon Link-he's a clone

i'd say Pit and Olimar but Pit's new game came out in march so he might make it and Olimar was shown to have a new game on the way Pikmin 3(idk that much about pikmin)

MK and Diddy have to be toned down to balance the next game, if they make it.
I'm fine wwith everybody else

New Characters:

Shadow The Hedgehog-he's the most common hack so it would make sense and if sonic does make the cut for the next one shadow could fit into the next storyline by coming in with sonic or saving him from a boss

Megaman-people really want him and nintendo always gives what the people want in their games
Zoroark-idk

Returning Veterans(SSBM wise)

Mewtwo-replacing him with lucario was because he was new and nintendo wanted to try something new, probably, and people didn't like it they wanted mewtwo

Roy-growing up as a kid i loved roy he was fun and cool and back then i thought marth was a girl so i used roy we had three star fox characters so three fire emblems that everyone knows is equvialent to that. but they have to give him a new moveset so there are no gay clones

Hope You Agree! :)
No, i don't agree. Meta Knight is in because the Kirby series can only really have Kirby, Meta Knight, and DDD. Diddy needs to be in because he is Donkey Kong's side kick in most games and he has his own series. Wario is similar to Diddy, they have been in the main series a lot, and then they got their own series. For Wario, it was WarioWare. Pit and Olimar have new games coming out so they have to be in, Pit may even get another character to join him. Lucario is extremely popular so he might stay and they will just put in Mewtwo with him. I didn't play Black or White so i don't even give a crap about Zoroark, i think Pokemon has enough characters in already. You are right about Megaman, he is heavily requested. I am not sure about Shadow, i would prefer Silver to mix it up, but then again they are third party so i doubt a second character. I never liked Roy because he was the same as Marth, and while Marth is girly, Ike is a bad*ss that balances it out, so if anything they might add Krom because he has a game just released in April.

JPW

Smash Ace
i always thought with Black Shadow they could make him kind of Bull Like lol. I was thinking of giving him a Bull Charge for his Side B. And like in F-zero GX he can use this Magic Power to shoot out a rope and pull you towards him for an instant *** kicking.

As for Kid Icarus in my view it's the best game i've played on the 3DS.

As for Fire Emblem i think it's got to be really lucky to get more than 3 reps. I means there's usually a 2 year wait till we actually get an english version. It's really doesn't seem to be high priority. It's usually only appreciated in it's cult fanbase. then again Fire Emblem Awakening is said to be the most popular one to date in Japan maybe it'll be like that around the rest of the world.
It's just that Shadow Dragon had a very limited release. And there was another FE game i think it was remake of FE3 for the DS and we never got that.

I think influnce for characters usually comes from the series itself.

Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are Nintendo's 3 biggest franchises. And they've got the most reps and everyone's usually familiar with those. So it make sense for them to have the most. Then you've got Starfox and Kirby with 3 which is usually about right. As they are the next in line. then we go Fire Emblem and Earthbound. Japanese influence types and sort of popular by name with 2 reps each. And then we go to the solo's. Which is expected. F-zero last game in a decade. Metroid. As good as the games are it doesn't exactly sell like hot cakes, it's usually bottom of the barrel. Pikmin is only new still needs time to grow. Kid Icarus was the comeback throwback much like IC in Melee. Then you get the retros. and usually we get a new retro every time. G&W in Melee. R.O.B. in Brawl.

also it cracks me up hearing people talking about PacMan being over rated. What was Sonic? I don't mean to be on the bad side. But there were sooo many die hard fans who even before Sonic was revealed said "he had to be in it because of the legendary history between Mario and Sonic". Even when the trailer was made for Sonic they acknowledge the rivalry as a deal. Pictures, clips, fandom. Sonic was in everything. The match was finally able to be played out. We already had it in our heads. Talk about being Over Rated. And Over Hyped. And i don't know whether i'm just making stuff up but i reckoned the day they announced Sonic for Brawl on the Dojo it got the most hits on that day than any other day.
I remember it was "THE BEST DAY EVER!" for me. I was soooo excited.

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
My Roster

First, I know this is a specific discussion but i wanted to get my personal roster out there and get some feedback.

First I'll list the vets to keep:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi
Link, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Wario, ROB
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon
Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Olimar
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Marth, Pit
Ness, Sonic, Snake, Mr. Game&Watch

Now newcomers and the reason:

Kamek
-Additional Yoshi character, raised Bowser.

Demise
-Good Ganondorf replacement, created Ganon, much cooler.

Phantom Zelda
-Character like Toon Link and Young Link, much different moveset than Zelda.

Ridley
-Awesome Metroid villian, already rumored.

Little Mac
-One of Nintendo's first fighters, classic character.

Krystal
-Different moveset than Starfox characters, good female choice.

Bandana Dee
-Waddle Dee's have been in Kirby from the start, playable in newest game.

Trainer
Oshawott, Servine, Emboar
-Newest gen, newest trainer, good replace from Red.

Deoxys
-Legendary, Pokemon from another planet, changes forms.

Eirika
-Strong female character, featured in Fire Emblem 3DS, debuted internationally.

Thanatos
-Was in the original Kid Icarus, loads of abilities, good villian.

Claus/Masked Man
-Brother of Lucas, alternate movesets.

Tom Nook
-Unexpected, from a long and loved series.

Pico
-Original F-Zero racer, mercenary, cool design.

Isaac
-Good game series, unique powers.

Megaman
-Classic NES game, Capcom rep, just so cool.

Mii
-Avatars for Nintendo, customizable.

Will try to post images later.
Open to changes and opinions. (My first post btw)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Now newcomers and the reason:

Demise
Trainer
Ganondorf and Pokemon Trainer don't need replacing. Ganondorf is the main villain in the Zelda series, and not appearing in a game every once and a while isn't cause for replacement.

Technically the trainer could be replaced, and your choices for the replacements are fine, but I really doubt that Pokemon from the three most iconic and popular starter evolution lines are going to be replaced. If anything is to be changed, it would be the Trainer's aesthetic appearance. (Or a second trainer would be added, but that's another debate)

Deoxys
Unfortunately, I believe the time for a 3rd gen rep has passed. Deoxys is a great choice, but I believe priority will be given to Mewtwo, keeping Lucario, and adding a rep from the newest gen (probably not a trainer) over a 3rd gen.

Eirika
Eirika would be a fine character, I suppose, but Ike, Roy, and Krom all have much better chances than her. Even Lyn does.

Thanatos
Even Medusa fits your reasoning better than Thanatos, plus she is more likely. But Palutena is the most likely choice, considering she played a larger role in Uprising than Medusa, and is much more popular than Thanatos.

Claus/Masked Man
Nothing wrong with the character, but it would be a little odd to have him without Lucas. It would sort of be like having Dixie without Diddy.

Pico
Pico's cool alright, but he really hasn't been as prevalent in the series as Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow, and also doesn't have nearly as much popularity as those two.

I would also consider adding a new DK character. And I wouldn't hold my breath for Kamek, Phantom Zelda, and Tom Nook. Not bad for your first post though. ^_^

Edit: Didn't see you cut Ice Climbers. Trust me, they're not going anywhere.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Ok, time to dissect.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi
Link, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Wario, ROB
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon
Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Olimar
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Marth, Pit
Ness, Sonic, Snake, Mr. Game&Watch

Cut Jigglypuff to make room for Mewtwo; she could use a break. Just my personal opinion.
No "original 12" argument bull.

Add Ice Climbers, Ike, & Lucario.
I don't care for Toon Link or Lucas

Demise

No. Ganondorf is LoZ's ultimate bad guy; he is the most reoccurring villain. Ganondorf's smash moveset should be scrapped to give him his own.

Demise will most likely be another one-time character in LoZ, besides Ghirahim is the more popular one.

Phantom Zelda
-Character like Toon Link and Young Link, much different moveset than Zelda.

The possessed suit of armor idea is neat, but only happened once. There hasn't been any news for new Toon link games, so I'm not sure about a new character right now. Tetra would make the better "Toon Zelda."

They should just make Toon Link his own moveset instead.

Ridley
-Awesome Metroid villian, already rumored.

YES! I never heard of this rumor, ur probably referring to all the fake rosters.

Krystal
-Different moveset than Starfox characters, good female choice.

It's too early to give StarFox 4 characters. Don't support a character because they are female. Adventures was disliked because it wasn't a "traditional" StarFox game, so Sakurai may over look it. It would be great if she does fight with her staff, but don't support her because if it. It is also possible that Krystal won't be in any more StarFox games because of the reboot, but that's not a fact.

Trainer

The Trainer will most likely stay the same.

Deoxys

I wanted Deoxys instead of Lucario. Deoxys time disappeared when Lucario got in instead. A 3rd gen. remake will raise it's chances.

Eirika

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones was released back in 2004/2005. The game wasn't very popular & didn't make a lasting appeal like other Fire Emblem games. A newcomer for Fire Emblem will probably either be a new lord like Krom, or just overall more popular character. Many other characters were also released as Awakening dlc.

Thanatos

Palutena & Medusa are more popular overall. They also had an impact on the entire Kid Icarus franchise & not just Uprising. Don't support a character just because they are a villain.

Claus/Masked Man

Mother is a dead series with 3 games. Adding Lucas was overkill.

Pico

Samurai Goroh is the more popular F-Zero rep. I actually don't want to see a new F-Zero character because the series has been on hitatus.

Mii
-Avatars for Nintendo, customizable.

I hate the Miis, but they are likely.
Comments in Red.

The characters I didn't response to I either agree with or lack information to give an opinion.

May want to consider:
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
A Mario newcomer like Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad, or just no one
Dark Samus
Mewtwo
Starfy
A retro or obscure character like Takamaru, Mach Rider, Lip, or Sukapon

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yeah, I love (You got 1-up'd) him too. WHICH IS WHY IT IS HEARTBREAKING THAT PEOPLE KEEP BRINGING HIM UP.

I mean, Sakurai said not to expect him and told you why. Nothing has changed. He's just not happening.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd like to know Sakurai's reasoning for specifically stating that Sukapon will probably never be playable, when he usually doesn't like to give solid answers about character possibilites. I mean sure he's obscure, but so were other characters that have been added or requested, and they weren't as popular as Sukapon used to be. Especially since his moveset from Joy Mech Fight seems like it would work so well in Smash. All I can think of is Sakurai addressed it to stop receiving as many requests for him, though he doesn't address many other characters he probably will never add.

Oh well, I guess at least now we won't get our hopes up for Sukapon just to be let down. And I probably should've posted this in the Sukapon topic instead. :embarrass:

I guess we'll never get to see this happen :(

Sorry Oasis, I'll stop talking about him now.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I forgot the reasoning. What was it Oasis? I know he didn't work for Melee (apparently), but I'm not sure why that would affect him appearing in future Smash.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
@ Oasis

Oh yeah, I remember now. You were one of Sukapon's main supporters back when I was a mere lurker.

Sakurai's hurtful words will never break my love for unlikely characters. I shall overcome!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I'm liking most of the suggestions. One thing is for sure. Nintendo would be making a mistake to replace any of the vets that have been in at least two of the smash bros games so far. Someone talked about getting rid of Jigglypuff and another about Ness being removed (along with Lucas). Bad ideas. Keep the long-time multi-game vets.

JPW

Smash Ace
What did Sakurai actually say about Sukapon and where is Sukapon from. I keep on hearing his name brought up but i've never heard of him or she or it.

yani

Smash Lord
What did Sakurai actually say about Sukapon and where is Sukapon from. I keep on hearing his name brought up but i've never heard of him or she or it.
Something about not being able to make him work due to him being limbless and that we shouldn't expect him. Maybe he'll revisit the concept though..who knows. He's from the first Nintendo fighting game called Joy Mech Fight.

D

Deleted member

Something about not being able to make him work due to him being limbless and that we shouldn't expect him. Maybe he'll revisit the concept though..who knows. He's from the first Nintendo fighting game called Joy Mech Fight.
I personally think Sukapon can be made to work. But Sakurai never said anything like that he couldn't work. He said something alone the lines of that he was too obscure and had little chance of revival.

D

Deleted member

I suppose if Sakurai really felt that the fact he had little chance for revival and release outside Japan, he COULD theoretically revive Joy Mech Fight himself like he did Kid Icarus.
It wouldn't be a too far stretch to work on that with experience in Smash Bros.

Maybe then Sukapon would stand more of a chance.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nooo, that is not what he said. His limblessness would not affect anything at all. There is no technical reason against that. NOW, it was quite a while ago when I searched through his Smash 64 journals to find the Sukapon stuff, but I remember it basically amounted to "He's too obscure" and "There is little chance of revival." People throw around "Sakurai loves adding obscure characters" a lot, but that's really not true. He doesn't add characters so willy nilly.

Now, I'm very biased, because I see Sukapon as very lovable. But I guess Sakurai doesn't necessarily agree that he'd make lots of people want to play the game. So you could probably chalk that one up to Sukapon not meeting the "first criteria". I mean, Sukapon would obviously provide a nice moveset, plenty of music and... maybe a nice stage. But WHATEVER SAKURAI.

I remember he even brought up Fire Emblem in his response as something that would be appealing to everyone, even an international audience. Sukapon... maybe he's just "too Japanese."

yani

Smash Lord
Hmm where the heck did I get that from? If Sakurai's reason is being too obscure then that's pretty damn lame..he would be an awesome character.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Probably Psycho because he kept repeating it after I repeatedly tried to tell him to stop repeating it. I'm guessing it was just a theory thrown around in the Brawl days by people that didn't know any better. Then people just picked it up because it's convincing if you don't think about it.

Like how "Ridley's too big" got so popular.

D

Deleted member

Regarding "Ridley is too big", I don't recall Sakurai even mentioning size when discussing Ridley, just jokingly saying he was impossible. The size argument needs to be banned from speculation because Sakurai thinks about it as much as we think about cars in the junkyard; not at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Theoretically, couldn't the limb "issue" be solved by making them an invisible texture and removing hitboxes?

I could be completely wrong.

EDIT: About the cars in a junkyard thing...I thought about them quite a bit yesterday. I randomly got linked to a part from the movie "The Brave Little Toaster" where the near-dead cars are being smashed in the junkyard on youtube. Does that mean Sakurai does care about heights? :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom