• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1. Wanted some balance in terms of games and systems, yes
Yet you ignore the balance of giving a relatively unimportant game two characters while every other games in the series has one or none. Ironic.

2. They would rep their games, yes, but characters always tend to have their latest appearance (or very close to it)
Apparently Ike and Micaiah don't though, at least to your specifications. If Marth gets his Awakening look, chances are they all will.

3. I am just saying she still has a chance
Take it from literally everyone else here, her chance isn't at the level of Chrom or Roy's.

4. Her popularity, she still has some of it
Yeah... not as much as like four other unplayable FE characters or the two playable in Brawl...

5. Well Roy and his F3YRE are some of the most overrated things I have seen, and he was my favorite in Melee
Opinions are subjective. Crazy, I know. The majority of Japanese FE and Smash fans disagree with you, but whatever.

D

Deleted member

I personally think 3 is too much (I even think 2 is too much to be honest), but I feel that if more than one Namco character is going to happen, the highest number is three.
Where does this notion come from? I'm personally on the opposite end of the scale. Us getting even one is a low probability, and if we do it'll likely be either a Tales rep or PakuPakuMan, Wakawakawakawakawaka.

You're trying to give a new game a lot of stuff when some longer running series in Brawl have less
I agree, especially considering many of us haven't even played the game, and "X" is just around the corner. We don't even know if "X" is even a sequel to Xenoblade. Also, the OST is a bit overrated. It's good, but it's not AMAZING. I like a couple tracks like Gaur Plains and stuff, but nothing else really stands out too much. Sure it has some hotblooded tracks, but perhaps it's because I still haven't played the game, but they seem to lack SOUL.

How about DLC music to extend the soundtrack? Or load your own songs into the game.

Would put the whole Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus: Uprising soundtracks in Smash. :awesome:
I don't see why it matters when we'll likely be able to mod the game after it come out just like we did to 64, Melee and Brawl. I'll just add my own tracks. I don't care how many there are as long as there are some good ones that need not be replaced. I mean really, paying for extra content you could just add yourself with a bit of brain-work.

but claiming she's the inevitable FE newcomer (along with Chrom) is just delusional at this point.
This, I await the delicious tears at release.

EDIT:
On Sexy Peach

Why not, I'd like to see Peach in a Sexy Mario Kart racer outfit.

Yet you ignore the balance of giving a relatively unimportant game two characters while every other games in the series has one or none. Ironic.

Apparently Ike and Micaiah don't though, at least to your specifications. If Marth gets his Awakening look, chances are they all will.

Take it from literally everyone else here, her chance isn't at the level of Chrom or Roy's.

Yeah... not as much as like four other unplayable FE characters or the two playable in Brawl...

Opinions are subjective. Crazy, I know. The majority of Japanese FE and Smash fans disagree with you, but whatever.
1. I know but still the latest console game
2. I said that, but they still would have their Awakening selves
3. Sure, but she is in the group underneath them
4. Still one of the more popular in Japan
5. I know, I know (everyone is different :awesome:)

Watashi

Smash Cadet
Recency pretty much. I think Sakurai wanted a new FE character, so he asked IS for suggestions, and they told him Ike.
Ah, well Chrom has both regency and popularity going for him.

As does Lucina but despite my wishes for her to be playable, I'm not expecting it.

:phone:

Ah, well Chrom has both regency and popularity going for him.

As does Lucina but despite my wishes for her to be playable, I'm not expecting it.

Exactly what I think for Micaiah

Want her in but not expecting it (see I said it you guys, you happy?)

Doesn't mean Lucina or Micaiah can't get in though

Edit: Oops, sorry for double post

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1. I know but still the latest console game
2. I said that, but they still would have their Awakening selves
3. Sure, but she is in the group underneath them
4. Still one of the more popular in Japan
1. Sakurai doesn't differentiate.
2. Well then Marth wouldn't represent Awakening now, would he?
3. Yeah, the group that doesn't have a good chance at playability. It'd be like the DK group below K. Rool and Dixie, or the F-Zero group below Goroh and Black Shadow.
4. Behind like three unplayable and two playable characters, yeah...

Want her in but not expecting it (see I said it you guys, you happy?)
I'd be happier if you didn't bring her up all the time...

1. Sakurai doesn't differentiate.
2. Well then Marth wouldn't represent Awakening now, would he?
3. Yeah, the group that doesn't have a good chance at playability. It'd be like the DK group below K. Rool and Dixie, or the F-Zero group below Goroh and Black Shadow.
4. Behind like three unplayable and two playable characters, yeah...

I'd be happier if you didn't bring her up all the time...
1. I guess
2. His appearance would, he himself wouldn't
3. Still not like most though
4. One of the top females XD

5. Everyone here brings up that one character a lot, don't deny that :awesome:

Examples: Roy, Ridley, Impa vs Ghirahim, the F'N Duck Hunt Dog, etc :cool:

D

Deleted member

1. I guess
2. His appearance would, he himself wouldn't
3. Still not like most though
4. One of the top females XD

5. Everyone here brings up that one character a lot, don't deny that :awesome:

Examples: Roy, Ridley, Impa vs Ghirahim, the F'N Duck Hunt Dog, etc :cool:
Not everyone... I have yet to pin a character down for N3ON for example.

D

Deleted member

It's Isaac. She just isn't obnoxious about it.

Most everyone has that one character, but not everyone always steers any converstions toward said character.
That's what I meant. Not that she didn't have one, but rather that she didn't bring it up enough to make it obvious who it was (at least to me).

It's Isaac. She just isn't obnoxious about it.

Most everyone has that one character, but not everyone always steers any converstions toward said character.
Ok, I understand

But I will say, when it comes to myself, most of it comes from the fact that there are constant responses :awesome:

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
If you were to pick someone from the current Brawl roster to be booted out of the next Smash game, who would you pick?

My choice would be R.O.B. ;)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm pretty quiet about certain characters I really like (Starfy and Lip and maybe Lloyd)

IAm2Sarcastic4U: I suggest none gets the boot. And if anything, let's not get indepth who should either. We've gone through this a lot and it hasn't really ended well.

Ah, Psycho ninja'd me.

D

Deleted member

If you were to pick someone from the current Brawl roster to be booted out of the next Smash game, who would you pick?

My choice would be R.O.B. ;)
>R.O.B.

YOU
are entitled to your opinion and I earnestly respect it

For me it's Lucas. I'd rather see his moves be added to Ness to improve his abilities as Ness is rather lackluster.

Followed by Falco and Toon Link.

I dislike clones.

D

Deleted member

I really love
SEMI
clones.
Semi or not I still dislike them.

I'd rather have a diverse roster without a single clone, than the opposite.

It's a much more fresh experience when every character is unique and very well thought out, Clones are just uninspired filler, cheap and lazy game design. Take Blazblue and Guilty Gear for example. Not a single clone in sight. It's really pleasant surprise to play all the characters and notice every one is VERY different from the last. Even semi-clones suck eggs. Sorry Ken, but you suck.

Ah well, since it's still calm before the storm
then I say Wolf.
Wolf is not a clone.
Not even a semi-clone.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Semi or not I still dislike them.

It's a much more fresh experience when every character is unique and very well thought out, Clones are just uninspired filler, cheap and lazy game design. Take Blazblue and Guilty Gear for example. Not a single clone in sight. It's really pleasant surprise to play all the characters and notice every one is VERY different from the last. Even semi-clones suck eggs. Sorry Ken, but you suck.
The characters are important though. It's Sakurai's laziness. :urg:

My choice would be :falco:, I don't really dislike ayone else.
He's popular. Dunno why you dislike him.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well clones are easier to make and still helps to include some characters, save time constraints and so on. So of course it seems quite compelling to make them. (-l^l);

That being said, clones aren't bad though. They can give different alternatives to play as a certain character (for example I like Falco due him being more airborne-styled and emphasizing in vertical knockback options)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

He's popular. Dunno why you dislike him.
What, so people aren't allowed to dislike popular characters?

What is this, some kind of hive mind community?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How about DLC music to extend the soundtrack? Or load your own songs into the game.

Would put the whole Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus: Uprising soundtracks in Smash. :awesome:

@Kuma: what feature from Tekken Tag 2? I am not familiar with the game... would you please explain? I would appreciate it! =)
What you were just asking about is exactly what Tekken Tunes is. It's a feature in the game that allows you to set the music for stages, screens, etc. You can mix and match all the different tracks on different stages and such with just the default music. The DLC music lets you put in the music from the past Tekken games. Meanwhile, at least on the 360, you have to rip CDs to load the songs into your hard drive which the game recognizes as an original song library. Perhaps the WiiU version lets you load from a USB drive which would be a big improvement.

But yeah, I want this song on this stage. This is the original song for the stage.

@FalKoopa
For Melee, it was because he and Ganondorf had the same build.

D

Deleted member

Well, some characters are near impossible to truly de-clone.

Luigi
Falco
Toon Link
and Lucas are the main ones.

Simply because they lack to strategic diversity to really give you a different character. Building a character is much more than simply thinking up stats and tossing in some moves. All of this has to flow with a specific play strategy. When this doesn't happen you get a bunch of awkward characters like in PSABR, where some are just... weird.

Though I shouldn't complain, as that's to be expected out of an all-star game. Characters are picked not out of fighting prowess and uniqueness, but out of iconography, thus you get this sort of end result.

Still, I wish they would put more thought into the characters. So many of them have SO MUCH untapped potential, mostly Samus, Ganondorf, Ike, and DK. Samus especially could be ALL KINDS of broken, instead of the mediocre bounty hunter we've had since 64.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai added six clones in place of Dedede because he felt Melee's roster was too bare-bones otherwise.

The obsession over dismissing clones as "lazy" ripoffs is incredibly misguided. The very fact that they're similar to another character is why they're able to be included in the roster. It's not as though Sakurai is holding back on unique characters to put in clones; it's them or no one.

Yes, Ganondorf should really undergo a complete overhaul after the fiasco that was Brawl, but for the Falcos and Lucases out there, being Luigified is completely fine in my book.

Capain Puff

Smash Cadet
Has sakurai ever clarified why he made :ganondorf: a clone?
Not that I know of, why would he think of making two characters from entirely different universes clones?

Well, some characters are near impossible to truly de-clone.

Luigi
Falco
Toon Link
and Lucas are the main ones.

Simply because they lack to strategic diversity to really give you a different character. Building a character is much more than simply thinking up stats and tossing in some moves. All of this has to flow with a specific play strategy. When this doesn't happen you get a bunch of awkward characters like in PSABR, where some are just... weird.

Though I shouldn't complain, as that's to be expected out of an all-star game. Characters are picked not out of fighting prowess and uniqueness, but out of iconography, thus you get this sort of end result.

Still, I wish they would put more thought into the characters. So many of them have SO MUCH untapped potential, mostly Samus, Ganondorf, Ike, and DK. Samus especially could be ALL KINDS of broken, instead of the mediocre bounty hunter we've had since 64.
But Toon Link has his items from WW, like Skull Hammer, Deku Leaf and the Grappling hook. They can at least declone his specials .

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Good thing we're not dealing with absolutes. Nobody wants a roster full of clones, but quite frankly having a few isn't really a bad thing. In fact it can be a very interesting way to experiment with movesets.

It's a much more fresh experience when every character is unique and very well thought out, Clones are just uninspired filler, cheap and lazy game design.
Most of the time, yes. However, just because they're lazy doesn't mean they can't be good or fun to play.

Take Blazblue and Guilty Gear for example. Not a single clone in sight. It's really pleasant surprise to play all the characters and notice every one is VERY different from the last. Even semi-clones suck eggs.
Again, having a few clones(4 as of Brawl, 5 if Roy came back) doesn't mean that there can't be any roster diversity.

Sorry Ken, but you suck.
No argument there.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai added six clones in place of Dedede because he felt Melee's roster was too bare-bones otherwise.

The obsession over dismissing clones as "lazy" ripoffs is incredibly misguided. The very fact that they're similar to another character is why they're able to be included in the roster. It's not as though Sakurai is holding back on unique characters to put in clones; it's them or no one.

Yes, Ganondorf should really undergo a complete overhaul after the fiasco that was Brawl, but for the Falcos and Lucases out there, being Luigified is completely fine in my book.
It's not misguided, it still holds true. Last minute or not it's still a lazy short cut, and lazy game design tbh. I'm not accusing him of being a bad designer mind you, nor am I saying he's holding out on the goodies, but tbh, I'd much rather have ONE very unique new face, than 6 clones.

I'm not saying they're ripoffs of other characters, but really, I can appreciate the thought and effort companies like Arksys put into EACH character they make, even if it means having 4 copies of the same series (at least the retail price is fair). You can just notice how much effort was put into ONE character. Then you go to Smash Bros, where one character is a different skin of someone else with different properties, you just feel robbed.

Melee's roster wasn't bare bones at all. If it included 64's 12 plus a few more, that's already enough in my book, that is, if every character is very different from the last. A roster with 24-27 very unique characters is far superior to one with 50 that all play more or less the same.

Quality over Quantity is all I'm preaching. More is not better, especially if more means lazy recolors of already existing characters (I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat), any child with a basic grasp on nouns and colors can come up with a roster like that. It takes a true artist to put blood sweat and tears into just 1 character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But Toon Link has his items from WW, like Skull Hammer, Deku Leaf and the Grappling hook. They can at least declone his specials .

I quote a line from the Dojo

Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same.
I hate this...:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom