• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Ah, cool. Yeah, I could see a game with Timber, but I wonder what Rare would've done to differentiate his game from all their other platformers. They wouldn't go down the Conker route twice. ;):laugh:
They should have gone down the FPS route for no reason. :troll:

volbound1700

Smash Master
As they would be part of a spin-off to the main DK series, I think stickers would be more likely for them, but I suppose we could've seen maybe a trophy or two, of like Wizpig or Taj or something.

And IIRC some of the DKR characters (other than Banjo and Conker) were planned to have their own games eventually, but they got cancelled or never made it past beginning stages, even when Rare was still with Nintendo. Don't remember which ones though, maybe Timber?

DKR was the start for both Banjo and Conker too. They all were considered in the beginning of the game. The game initially did not have Diddy Kong, it was Miyamoto that suggested to Rare to add him and make it more Nintendo like (before it was going to look something along the line of a professional racing game).

Not sure if all of them were going to have all their games but Rare was setting DKR to be the game that spawned a multitude of series and were successful in making two of them into a series.

It would have been neat to see more or at least have them appear in Banjo-Kazooie or DK series proper.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They should have gone down the FPS route for no reason. :troll:
A tiger with a gun? I guess it makes as much sense as a squirrel with a hangover. :troll:

DKR was the start for both Banjo and Conker too. They all were considered in the beginning of the game. The game initially did not have Diddy Kong, it was Miyamoto that suggested to Rare to add him and make it more Nintendo like (before it was going to look something along the line of a professional racing game).
Since Nintendo was able to retain rights to all characters made under existing Nintendo IPs, they should've been able to keep Banjo and Conker considering they technically originated as part of the Donkey Kong series. It's probably because it was a Diddy game, not a Donkey game. :glare: If it was Donkey Kong Racing, it would be interesting to see if Nintendo had managed to keep more of it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
A tiger with a gun? I guess it makes as much sense as a squirrel with a hangover. :troll:

Since Nintendo was able to retain rights to all characters made under existing Nintendo IPs, they should've been able to keep Banjo and Conker considering they technically originated as part of the Donkey Kong series. It's probably because it was a Diddy game, not a Donkey game. :glare: If it was Donkey Kong Racing, it would be interesting to see if Nintendo had managed to keep more of it.

I actually think that they still have the other ones minus Banjo and Conker. It is my view though that Nintendo really didn't care about keeping Banjo on as a series IMO. They could have fought it if they cared but Nintendo as Mario, DK, etc. IP so they really don't need this other IP. It was more or less Rare's vision and Nintendo often did not give a lot of credence or respect to Rare until after they were gone. (Miyamoto use to be jealous and criticize DKC during the Rare days but now he admits it is one of the best game series out there).

FourStar

Smash Ace
i remember at one point they added ratchet and clank as probable characters. i actually like that as a chance...

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I actually disagree with him more now than I used to. There are some things I agree with, like his new positions on the Zelda series and Mewtwo, but I gotta disagree about Paper Mario, K. Rool, Little Mac, and the Kid Icarus series, among others.

Also the roster he's reviewing isn't too good, but sadly for Youtube it's not bad.
I guess you've been to the bad side of Youtube' s Smash community then? Usually Youtube has some good rosters, or at least where I hang out at.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Honestly, only Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem and Mario stand a chance of getting 2 additional reps.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I actually think that they still have the other ones minus Banjo and Conker. It is my view though that Nintendo really didn't care about keeping Banjo on as a series IMO. They could have fought it if they cared but Nintendo as Mario, DK, etc. IP so they really don't need this other IP. It was more or less Rare's vision and Nintendo often did not give a lot of credence or respect to Rare until after they were gone. (Miyamoto use to be jealous and criticize DKC during the Rare days but now he admits it is one of the best game series out there).
To my knowledge, other than Diddy, the only DKR character Nintendo still owns is Krunch, because Nintendo got to keep the Kremlings, which Krunch is. I don't have a source for this on hand though. And yeah, at this point I'd be surprised (but delighted) if Nintendo still cared about trying to get any of Rare's IPs, but during the sale I wouldn't see why they wouldn't want to keep them, considering most of them, especially Banjo-Kazooie, had been quite successful commercially. Sure, not on level with Mario or Zelda, but it still comes down to a profit, which Rare's IPs provided.

I guess you've been to the bad side of Youtube' s Smash community then? Usually Youtube has some good rosters, or at least where I hang out at.
Maybe you've seen differently, but tbh I'd call most of Youtube's Smash community the bad side of the community. There are a few smart people, granted, but even they don't really compare to the people around here. Most rosters though have at least a few pretty poor choices, especially third-party ones, and the comment section to most roster videos will give you cancer. :p:rolleyes:

So, a bit off the edge but if we were to see a series get two newcomers, which one should it be?

If Isaac makes it in, I'd love to see both Isaac/Felix; much like how we got Marth/Roy.
Isaac/Felix would be pretty cool, but since we're going with unlikely, Isaac and an adept of a different element would probably lead to more diversity. However realistically I'd say the series most likely to get two newcomers is DK, with K. Rool and Dixie.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Off topic from Banjo-Kazooie but 3 Sonic exclusives announced for Nintendo:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/sonic-video-games-coming-nintendo-180538643.html

"The onetime rivalry between Mario and Sonic has grown into a friendship that has never been closer," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime in a statement. "These announcements in conjunction with Sega demonstrate the commitment we have to bringing great games to the Wii U platform, and set the stage for our upcoming announcements at E3."

"It should be a win-win situation," said Cheng (SEGA President). "Don't count Nintendo out."

SEGA is throwing support behind Nintendo it looks like. This may lock Sonic up for next Smash and who knows may make it more likely for more SEGA characters in Smash.

I do think the other characters san Banjo, Conker, and perhaps the Turtle may still be Nintendo IP as they appeared in Diddy Kong Racing DS.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Off topic from Banjo-Kazooie but 3 Sonic exclusives announced for Nintendo:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/sonic-video-games-coming-nintendo-180538643.html

"The onetime rivalry between Mario and Sonic has grown into a friendship that has never been closer," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime in a statement. "These announcements in conjunction with Sega demonstrate the commitment we have to bringing great games to the Wii U platform, and set the stage for our upcoming announcements at E3."

"It should be a win-win situation," said Cheng (SEGA President). "Don't count Nintendo out."

SEGA is throwing support behind Nintendo it looks like. This may lock Sonic up for next Smash and who knows may make it more likely for more SEGA characters in Smash.

I do think the other characters san Banjo, Conker, and perhaps the Turtle may still be Nintendo IP as they appeared in Diddy Kong Racing DS.
More Sega reps? Nope. Sonic's return being more likely. Definitely.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I don't know why that information was brought up here, but let's not have it turn into an off-topic mess.
It's on-topic to an extent as long as we're talking about probable characters.

Back on series likely to get 2 newcomers, yeah, the only series I can see getting two (at this point most others are complete or only need one newcomer to be fully complete; mostly the latter asides from Kirby. I'll save the rest to talk about for later) Mario, DK, Fire Emblem (though one would prolly be Roy), Golden Sun, and if we're lucky, F-Zero.

And as for Rare and all this stuff, I see a birds shot in hell at us even having Music from this, which sucks because DKR is easily one of my favorite games of all time (Especially the N64 version). While I know for a fact that if Rare was still with Nintendo or bought back that we would probably see no more sequels on certain series, I also know that we would be seeing them make these things called Games and not firing half of the art staff.

...Though that's for another day, but the stuff M$ does to them is ridiculous; not only the "they have no games" but the fact they sell and M$ still continues to do what M$ does. (Also no I don't have a true bias. I actually own a 360, PS3, Wii, and WiiU right now.)

peeup

Smash Lord
...what in god's name happened to the social roster discussion thread that i know and love and accidentally didn't visit for like 2 months

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
...what in god's name happened to the social roster discussion thread that i know and love and accidentally didn't visit for like 2 months
It died.... it's been buried under the many pages, left to rot for all eternity.

Social Roster Discussion Thread? What Social Roster Discussion Thread? The Roster Prediction discussion Thread was always here. :smirk:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's gone. Locked away forever due to excessive amount of off-topic discussion.

peeup

Smash Lord
I feel like a little part of me has died.

I'll derail this thread if it kills me (or gets me banned.)

So let's talk about Fire Emblem characters :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
For argument sake, let's just presume Marth, Ike, and Roy are coming back until stated otherwise. If there's going to be another character, it's going to be a crapshot as to who.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At least Mickey Mouse isn't on it :rolleyes:

That being said, a lot of the choices are still really unlikely, like Rayman, Sora, and Genesect to name a few, with Krystal, Bandanna Dee, and Ghirahim, while more likely than the previous three, also being pretty unlikely.

That being said, Mewtwo, Little Mac, Mega Man, Palutena, Shulk, K. Rool, Bowser Jr. and Chrom were all likely choices. Lucario should have been kept, though.

But still, this doesn't warrant its own thread...

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
For argument sake, let's just presume Marth, Ike, and Roy are coming back until stated otherwise. If there's going to be another character, it's going to be a crapshot as to who.
Lets not presume that okay? You may have your arguments as to why Roy and especially ike have things going for them but Chrom has at least as much going for him as Roy. Maybe even Ike. Lyn, lucina and robin could easily take a fire emblem place too. If we want to be daring ephraim, black knight, hector or Anna could maybe make it. Big maybe there. All I'm saying is presuming anyone from Marth from fire emblem is rediculous.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Dude, it's just an assumption at the moment. All three characters have already appeared in Super Smash Bros. at least once, so naturally those three would be forerunners until proven otherwise. Of course nothing is a guarantee, but keeping an eye on those three is the smart move at the moment when it comes to predicting the roster. Also if there has to be 4th character, we cannot assume anything due to it being generally a crapshot as to who. Nobody can agree on anything, so instead of trying to satisfy everyone it's better to keep quiet about it for now. Besides, with Fire Emblem, it appears inclusions are more along the lines of Sakurai's judgement then popularity. It's why Roy and Ike were in Super Smash Bros., so it can be presumed something of that sort will happen again this time around.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Dude, it's just an assumption at the moment. All three characters have already appeared in Super Smash Bros. at least once, so naturally those three would be forerunners until proven otherwise. Of course nothing is a guarantee, but keeping an eye on those three is the smart move at the moment when it comes to predicting the roster. Also if there has to be 4th character, we cannot assume anything due to it being generally a crapshot as to who. Nobody can agree on anything, so instead of trying to satisfy everyone it's better to keep quiet about it for now. Besides, with Fire Emblem, it appears inclusions are more along the lines of Sakurai's judgement then popularity. It's why Roy and Ike were in Super Smash Bros., so it can be presumed something of that sort will happen again this time around.
Whatever assume that Marth and Ike are coming back I don't mind. They are most definetly forerunners. But as being the main lord of the latest fire emblem game doesn't that mean that Chrom would be a forerunner too? Roy could very well make it but remember that in Melee he was a very late addition and in brawl he didn't even make it to the playable stage. So you definetly can't assume roy will be in this game. When it comes to series like fire emblem what is usually expected is the veterans of the most recent game plus the protagonist of the most recent fire emblem game. Unless sakurai can be convinced otherwise this has the highest likelihood of happening. I'm sure it was at least the first considered roster.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whatever assume that Marth and Ike are coming back I don't mind. They are most definetly forerunners. But as being the main lord of the latest fire emblem game doesn't that mean that Chrom would be a forerunner too?
Not necessarily. Look dude. We get it. You want Chrom with all your heart. Would you be satisfied if we got Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom?

Roy could very well make it but remember that in Melee he was a very late addition
Almost every clone was a late addition. Your point?

So you definetly can't assume roy will be in this game.
We can't assume anyone not named Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu will be in the game. Null point.

When it comes to series like fire emblem what is usually expected is the veterans of the most recent game plus the protagonist of the most recent fire emblem game. Unless sakurai can be convinced otherwise this has the highest likelihood of happening. I'm sure it was at least the first considered roster.
I like how you pretend to know what Sakurai is thinking and how you try to make a pattern after ONE event.

What is expected by most people is Marth/Ike/Roy and if we get a 4th character, FE13 character or Anna.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Not necessarily. Look dude. We get it. You want Chrom with all your heart. Would you be satisfied if we got Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom?

Almost every clone was a late addition. Your point?

We can't assume anyone not named Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu will be in the game. Null point.

I like how you pretend to know what Sakurai is thinking and how you try to make a pattern after ONE event.

What is expected by most people is Marth/Ike/Roy and if we get a 4th character, FE13 character or Anna.
The thing is I don't even like Chrom that much, I just think he is the second most likely character to get in the game from fire emblem. It annoys me that no one else seems to believe me here, but everywhere else Chrom is considered one of the top shoo ins. Of course I'd be satisfied with those four.

My point is the fact that he even is a clone shows that sakurai doesn't hold him in very high regard.

I know we can't assume anything. That's exactly what I was arguing against! The guy argued that we should just assume Marth Ike and Roy are making it. I was saying if we were to assume aforehand, Chrom would likely be in front of Roy.

I'm not pretending to know anyone's mind, I'm using common sense to figure out what is likely the first characters considered.

I think you misspelled 'a few'. You spelled it 'most'.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My point is the fact that he even is a clone shows that sakurai doesn't hold him in very high regard.
Sorry for jumping in, but I disagree with this one. Ganondorf is a clone. Does it mean Sakurai doesn't see him in high regard?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The thing is I don't even like Chrom that much, I just think he is the second most likely character to get in the game from fire emblem. It annoys me that no one else seems to believe me here, but everywhere else Chrom is considered one of the top shoo ins. Of course I'd be satisfied with those four.

By everywhere else do you mean GameFAQS? They're considered morons by EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET for a reason you know.

Bull****. (Pardon my language but that irks me). If Roy was a clone because Sakurai didn't like him then Sakurai doesn't like Falco, Luigi, Ganondorf, etc. Don't make **** up. Sakurai chose Roy because he thought Roy was something special. He even confessed that in an interview.

I know we can't assume anything. That's exactly what I was arguing against! The guy argued that we should just assume Marth Ike and Roy are making it. I was saying if we were to assume aforehand,

Ah okay! Something we can agree o-
Chrom would likely be in front of Roy.

Never mind...

I'm not pretending to know anyone's mind, I'm using common sense to figure out what is likely the first characters considered.

Yes you are.

And that's not common sense. That you trying to rationalize your wants and forcing them onto Sakurai.

I think you misspelled 'a few'. You spelled it 'most'.

Ask around. You will see what the majority wants. Roy is ahead Chrom on Shortie's poll for a reason.

Also. I use spellcheck. :troll:
Responses in red.

D

Deleted member

More and more I see the fool digging himself deeper into the hole of ignorance.

Not sure whether to laugh or feel pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom