• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashPro97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0920-6255
Cool, there's a SmashPro in the thread! I'm eager to see what a pro has to say about the topic of the hour

*heads back a couple pages*

You might be disappointed on that lol.

Come brawl with me and see what I mean ;)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You might be disappointed on that lol.

Come brawl with me and see what I mean ;)
See, this is what confuses me. You actually seem like a reasonable poster who's neither trollish or a complete disaster to this thread ... but that argument was just much much longer than it needed to be.

Oh well, the thread moves on. I'll pass on the brawl but owe you a match when Smash4 does come out though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've seen a lot of stupid going on here. I think I'll just move back to No Rildey - Butthurt Plaza.

SmashPro97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0920-6255
See, this is what confuses me. You actually seem like a reasonable poster who's neither trollish or a complete disaster to this thread ... but that argument was just much much longer than it needed to be.

Oh well, the thread moves on. I'll pass on the brawl but owe you a match when Smash4 does come out though.

Well if Smash4 is the same pace and movement as Brawl then sure. If not, then lemme adapt.
Besides, I went with SmashPro97 because if I were to use iSuck, then I would be a troll. MEH.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Toad >>> Bowser Jr./Paper Mario > Rosalina > Everybody else conceivable to the Mario universe (my apologies to Waluigi)

While I do not wish to partake in another argument, I would just rather express this concern I have over Toad and Bowser Jr.'s priorities in comparison to each other, especially if only one character slot would be easily available. The same, of course, applies to Paper Mario, as well as it does Bowser Jr.

I wish for someone to explain to me how Bowser Jr., a slightly recurring character that has only appeared in the recent past decade in a few titles, has the same priority or even more as such than Toad, a majorly iconic, long-running, and important recurring character. Toad has appeared in nearly every Mario platforming game in some capacity, as well as being an occasionally playable character if not a helpful assistant. Not only that, but Toad also appeared in several other non-platforming Mario titles like the Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Mario Sports series. Toad is practically one of the most recognizable Mario characters within the universe, in the same sense that Ridley is for Metroid or Pokemon Trainer is to Pikachu.

If any sole Mario character deserves to be in Smash this time around, it's Toad.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
IMO: Paper Mario = Waluigi > Bowser Jr. > Toad. In terms of possibility. No preference, since I would like *your least favorite Mario character* to be in.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Um... yeah, everyone's still doing the Mario.
Anyone from Mario I would like to see is already in.
-
From the Wario series, however, I'd like to see Captain Syrup. I'm surprised that back in the Brawl days, Captain Syrup had a pretty big following. Might say, if memory doesn't fail me, she was among the Top 10 most supported characters.

Just once I'd love to see something Wario-related in SSB that isn't Wario-ware based. (Character, AT, or stage).

CalumG

Smash Lord
IMO: Paper Mario = Waluigi > Bowser Jr. > Toad. In terms of possibility. No preference, since I would like *your least favorite Mario character* to be in.
Waluigi over Bowser Jr. and Toad in terms of possibility? Whatcrackareyousmoking.com/canihavesome.jpg

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The way I see it, in terms of likelihood

Toad = No Mario Rep > Bowser Jr. > Everyone Else

I love Paper Mario, and know people here love him just as much, but always felt he's a little bit overestimated here in terms of chance.
If he makes it in Smash I'll be genuinely surprised (and very very happy.)

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Damnit, i meant Paper Mario = Bowser Jr. > Waluigi > Toad. Ofc there could be no more Mario reps for this game. Paper Mario isn't at its prime anymore, Waluigi doesn't appear in main Mario games, Jr is the 2nd villain, and Toad is just Toad.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just gonna go and say....

No new Mario characters=Toad=Bowser Jr.=Paper Mario > Waluigi > Geno > Anyone Else.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The Wario series has been a major portable franchise, so I could definitely it as a 3DS stage.

Toad should be a rep before other mario characters. I think Waluigi doesn't offer anything in the Mario series that literally any other couldn't. And it annoys me that Daisy could serve the same role (in a sports outfit) but is mostly dismissed. I don't really care for Daisy, but I view their role in the series as comparable.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I've seen a lot of stupid going on here. I think I'll just move back to No Rildey - Butthurt Plaza.
Read this as No Ridley = Butthurt Pizza. >_>

You guys are totally forgetting the bestest Mario newcomer ever!

Dry Metal Baby Daisy in her sports outfit.

CalumG

Smash Lord
The moveset of this:

With the animations of this:

You can practically taste the butthurt. :troll:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna go and say....

No new Mario characters=Toad=Bowser Jr.=Paper Mario > Waluigi > Geno > Anyone Else.

At this point, given some recent statements from the developers of Super Mario RPG about Geno, everybody else from any other series (excluding third-party) has a greater chance than Geno. His future is as grim, bleak, and dour as oblivion.

Unless, of course, you are simply stating preference and not predication, from which then I apologize.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
At this point, given some recent statements from the developers of Super Mario RPG about Geno, everybody else from any other series (excluding third-party) has a greater chance than Geno. His future is as grim, bleak, and dour as oblivion.

Unless, of course, you are simply stating preference and not predication, from which then I apologize.
Kinda both preference and likelihood.

Geno doesn't have a shot but he's brought up enough and popular enough that I thought I should include him.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I'll just reiterate what I said last night in terms of what I think will be best for Smash:

No character> Bowser Jr> Toad> Paper Mario

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
The moveset of this:

With the animations of this:

You can practically taste the butthurt. :troll:

I'm not offended even in the slightest, yet what is to be gained from this? At this point, you're not adding anything productive to the beaten-to-death discussion, other than trying to provoke the emotive responses from the likes of Mr.SaturnGamer, who is well-known for a reactionary nature as much as anybody offended.

I encourage you to at least drop the subject if you have nothing else to add to it, even if your intention is just playful jesting, because there are other topics well-worth discussing. Provoking easily-angered forums members is akin to threatening a wild animal with a stick - it's not advisable, nor is it necessary.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm not offended even in the slightest, yet what is to be gained from this? At this point, you're not adding anything productive to the beaten-to-death discussion, other than trying to provoke the emotive responses from the likes of Mr.SaturnGamer, who is well-known for a reactionary nature as much as anybody offended.

I encourage you to at least drop the subject if you have nothing else to add to it, even if your intention is just playful jesting, because there are other topics well-worth discussing. Provoking easily-angered forums members is akin to threatening a wild animal with a stick - it's not advisable, nor is it necessary.
Actually, what was to be gained was me showing that Paper Mario using Mario's moves doesn't look as out of place as people suggest - provided the animation kinks get worked out. It was thinly-wrapped in a light bit of trolling, but I was actually making a legitimate point that it'd be very easy to make Paper Mario as a last-minute clone if need be. If fans can make these (admittedly half-arsed) versions of Paper Mario out of other characters, what could the developers do?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Of all series we are discussing MARIO AGAIN. **** I hate these they're so boring and unproductive.
Then again. At this point how much better does it get.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ah finally someone broke the silence. Are people already mourning Ridley?

Anyway, how many newcomer characters (independant of the total) do you see getting in?

I think about 10-12 newcomers between starters and hidden characters will be the number. Considering Sakurai believes the priority no longer lies with more characters, it's only natural for them to start decreasing.

CalumG

Smash Lord
my guess is 13 newcomers and 3 removals of old characters (take your pick of your 3 least favourite), leaving a tidy 45 characters overall. 50 seems too high a number, 40 seems too low, but I'd be more than okay with having a few vets removed at the expense of working on some newcomers. So yeah, 32 returning characters, 13 newcomers.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Just imagine if Ridley is de-confirmed as a playable character, and is, instead, announced as either a stage hazard, background character, or even a boss. I truly, genuinely, sincerely, emphatically, sympathetically feel absolute sorrow for whichever character is announced in September instead. Assuming, of course, the pattern maintains.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Ridley was in the background in 64, in that awesome opening sequence in Melee and a boss in Brawl. Sakurai keeps making sure he's present in each of the games and makes him more and more appealing each time. If he's so important to include in some fashion in each game, how does Sakurai not see his importance as an all star and therefore the obvious reasons to make him playable? Making him a stage hazard at this point? Why would he think we still give a damn for any reason other than getting to be him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom