• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy made me a better player in general/Who changed your game

dotpwn

Smash Journeyman
Hey, um im actually a link player who's picking up roy as an alt, but i thgouth id post this here. Practicing as roy has really kicked my shfflc'ing into gear, as well as just changed my style for the better in general. wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, doesnt have to be roy. Who changed your game?

Blackadder

Smash Master
...You and your Marth, Phoenix.
Glad to see you got the hell out of my house too!

On topic: I did have a similar experiance, I used to main Link also.
I actually used him for an odd 4-5 years! The one day I just relised I wasn't that kick arse with him..so then I changed to Ganon!
I learnt to time ariels better, and also learent the secret of teching.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
I originally played smash with marth cuz my entire smash game consisted of rolls and tippers. Then when i went to college i got baptized into the world of advanced technique by a humiliating 4-stock loss. I picked up falco and learned to sh and its history after that. Falco definitely brought my game into the pro level.

vZakat

Half Genie
Playing Roy has tought me how to sweetspot very well. His sweetspot can be hard to judge sometime so now I can judge people sweetspot alot better. I main Roy though.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Playing Roy has suprisingly helped my Marth. I got a lot better with shffling, but most importantly, reacting to my opponent.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I originally played smash with marth cuz my entire smash game consisted of rolls and tippers. Then when i went to college i got baptized into the world of advanced technique by a humiliating 4-stock loss. I picked up falco and learned to sh and its history after that. Falco definitely brought my game into the pro level.
Thats funny cause i've never heard of you:confused:

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Take this advice from Chudat,

You need the techskill of a hightier to even touch a low tier

Banned via Administration

i agree to an extent. you just need a good tier char in general so you learn the game, not learn low tier. cuz when you are playing low tier, you are trying to learn how to deal with their awful moves, instead of learning the advanced play (mindgames, trix, etc). playing good tier characters even if they are "easy" (like shiek) has made me so much better with all my characters in general.

Blaxton

Smash Rookie
roy also made me a much better player. him and my 3 other characters i play(GnW, Luigi, and Pikachu) are now improving because of what i have learned using roy. i was a ness player for a long time and i didnt impove thats why i made the switch. i love roy hes the best.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I learned advanced techniques after I watched Puffstuff and Shined Blind then I thought "hmm maybe I can do that too" and strangely enough, my main was Jiggz, then Fox, then Link (hylian OMG that was pretty dumb) then Marth (Wound of the Wind) then Soldier of Fortune made me play Falco and then I played trash tiers.

So now I main polar tiers; Spacies and Marth + Trash Pokemon and Roy.

vZakat

Half Genie
I think that playing a low tier can help your mindgames. With a low tier, you don't have any brokenness, gayness, or amazing tech skills to relay on, so you end up having to learn how to read and trick your opponent. Your forced to learn everything your character can do and how to see the right opportunity to use it and take advantage of that opportunity.

technomancer

Smash Champion

I agree completely. Picking up Fox and Falco has completely revolutionized the way I think about speed, spacing, timing and priority, not to mention giving me a much better understanding of how to play on a team with those characters. Playing Fox at an advanced level gives you fingerspeed and on top of that it makes you realize that you NEED to be fast in order to play aggressively with any character.

I think that playing a low tier can help your mindgames. With a low tier, you don't have any brokenness, gayness, or amazing tech skills to relay on, so you end up having to learn how to read and trick your opponent. Your forced to learn everything your character can do and how to see the right opportunity to use it and take advantage of that opportunity.
I disagree with this. So many characters in this game have great combos and setups that often lead to KOs that playing a low tier can actually be harmful to your gameplay because they are so limiting; forcing you to play a certain style instead of being inventive and making use of a variety of moves. Playing a low tier is not the same as Rock Lee training with ankleweights on; it's more difficult, but also angles your training in a different direction.

vZakat

Half Genie
I disagree with this. So many characters in this game have great combos and setups that often lead to KOs that playing a low tier can actually be harmful to your gameplay because they are so limiting; forcing you to play a certain style instead of being inventive and making use of a variety of moves. Playing a low tier is not the same as Rock Lee training with ankleweights on; it's more difficult, but also angles your training in a different direction.
I don't think that low tiers are limited in there abilities to play certain styles, they're just unable to use those style of play to their maximum potential as high tiers can. By limiting yourself, you pay alot more when you make a mistake. It teaches you to spot opening and exploit them to your best ability and keep yourself defended as best you can.

Once you combine this with a high tier, you'll be able to catch them off gaurd more and abuse them appropriately (0 to death combos usually). And you'll be able to prevent your opponent from getting in a position to harm you badly, if at all.

If you are going to play in tournaments, I wouldn't suggest training by playing a low tier. It's much better to just learn these things with your high tier of choice. I'm just saying that these skill's (reading your opponent) are more important to surviving with a low tier. If you can't read your opponent with a high tier, you can just laser camp and pillar. No thinking required.

sigma

Smash Cadet
Definitly Ganon. He was who i played as when i learned of WDing and l-canceling and all that good technical stuff and most of it carried over to my other characters. Actually i only really botherd to learn WDing after i switched to Luigi.... So Gannon and Luigi.

I don't think that low tiers are limited in there abilities to play certain styles, they're just unable to use those style of play to their maximum potential as high tiers can. By limiting yourself, you pay alot more when you make a mistake. It teaches you to spot opening and exploit them to your best ability and keep yourself defended as best you can.

Once you combine this with a high tier, you'll be able to catch them off gaurd more and abuse them appropriately (0 to death combos usually). And you'll be able to prevent your opponent from getting in a position to harm you badly, if at all.

If you are going to play in tournaments, I wouldn't suggest training by playing a low tier. It's much better to just learn these things with your high tier of choice. I'm just saying that these skill's (reading your opponent) are more important to surviving with a low tier. If you can't read your opponent with a high tier, you can just laser camp and pillar. No thinking required.
this is not true. at all.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Hey, um im actually a link player who's picking up roy as an alt, but i thgouth id post this here. Practicing as roy has really kicked my shfflc'ing into gear, as well as just changed my style for the better in general. wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, doesnt have to be roy. Who changed your game?
Instead of picking up Roy I tried to play Marth with one hand behind my back.

It gives the same results, I guess.

DuoKaizane

Smash Cadet
I've always played Roy, and recently started branching to other characters.

Roy has taught me how to play situationally, which is in my opinion the most important thing to learn in Smash Bros. No amount of guides or text can teach you how to react in combat.

I am now literally able to pick up a character, and within 24 hours, beat my friends main. (Who is on or a little below the skill level of myself. [I've been playing Smash Bros for the 64, and bought SSBM the day it released--before I had my Gamecube--haha!])

-DuoKaizane

I've always played Roy, and recently started branching to other characters.

Roy has taught me how to play situationally, which is in my opinion the most important thing to learn in Smash Bros. No amount of guides or text can teach you how to react in combat.

I am now literally able to pick up a character, and within 24 hours, beat my friends main. (Who is on or a little below the skill level of myself. [I've been playing Smash Bros for the 64, and bought SSBM the day it released--before I had my Gamecube--haha!])

-DuoKaizane
thank you for your huge story.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
After using Roy at a tournament, he made me pick up Marth soon afterwards...

Top Bottom