• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy makes Meta Knight look like Ganondorf in power comparison.

Booster

Smash Lord
I was playing around with Roy in Project M and noticed how quickly I was killing everyone else, so I did some tests with Roy. Roy was able to kill Lightweights at as little as 40% and he took out Giga Bowser at a mere 72%. Roy's Final Smash I'm not going to touch on because Marth's is a guaranteed OHKO too. The only thing about Roy that isn't overpowered is his ****ty ass recovery, it's the worst in the game. Anyways, if Roy can kill Giga Bowser at 72%, imagine how annoying this will get quickly. I don't mind Roy being overpowered, it's fun taking out whoever you want (**** YOU OLIMAR AND META KNIGHT), but if this mod is meant to simulate Melee's balance, I would think Roy would be extremely illegal in and out of tournaments. I wonder if someone from Brawl Minus helped to create Roy?

I would think to balance him that you lessen the damage with his attacks and make his recovery better, the only way you can seem to die as Roy is because of how ****ty his recovery is. I would say cut his damage about 1/3 of it's current amount and add an extra 50% to his Recovery, that's just me though. What do you guys think of Roy? Are you good with him or have you had dumb luck like me?

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
Xpost from the other thread:

If Roy is Op, then fox should be banned.
So no Roy ain't over powered.
roy is widely concidered to be one of the better balanced characters on the PM roster.

Last edited:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
but if this mod is meant to simulate Melee's balance, I would think Roy would be extremely illegal in and out of tournaments. I wonder if someone from Brawl Minus helped to create Roy?
There is no diplomatic way to say what needs to be said without sounding harsh, so I'm just going to lay it out there.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Making vague statements like "Roy can kill Giga Bowser at 72%" and "able to kill Lightweights as as little as 40%" gives no credit to your claims, as they're entirely without context. You've put forth a nonexistent argument for an incredibly bold claim, and I honestly have no idea what you're even trying to do with this thread.

I'm of the opinion that Project M Roy would likely be mid-high tier in Melee, somewhere close to Captain Falcon.

NuclearMeatball

Smash Rookie
but if this mod is meant to simulate Melee's balance, I would think Roy would be extremely illegal in and out of tournaments.
It's funny you say this considering the amount of useable characters in this game vastly outweighs that of melee.

Also, in your post I assume you are referring to Brawl MK and Olimar, which is a completely different game and metagame than Project M. It's comparing apples and oranges.

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
Roy is an extremely well balanced character in my opinion.

Pros:
Great combo game, great neutral game, crouch cancelling and grab range are excellent.
Cons:
Horrendous recovery, good combo weight for other characters, a little light, subject to camping.

I don't want to judge, but looking at your post it seems you don't really follow competitive PM at all. Easily the best Roy in the world (Sethlon) has been really successful in tournaments, but even he hasn't gotten top 3 at a major yet.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Roy is an extremely well balanced character in my opinion.

Pros:
Great combo game, great neutral game, crouch cancelling and grab range are excellent.
Cons:
Horrendous recovery, good combo weight for other characters, a little light, subject to camping.

I don't want to judge, but looking at your post it seems you don't really follow competitive PM at all. Easily the best Roy in the world (Sethlon) has been really successful in tournaments, but even he hasn't gotten top 3 at a major yet.
Roy is practically combo meat though.

Top Bottom