• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Technique

zyroqwa

Smash Apprentice
I found this real cool tech with Roy. It's situational.

Here's the situation:

ROY
(Some floaty character/mid percent)

-The underline is the platform

You can use a Dair(properly timed) to pop up the person under the platform. While they're stunned you can Fsmash them.

Should try it : )

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
LOL like we didn't know this. but here's the disclaimers.

1) when the heck will they let you dair them on the ground

2) there's moves that can stop this. Shield, crouch cancel, grab, shadow dodge, wavedash, roll dodge, etc.

3) they can tech

4) the stun might not be enough to get a whole smash in.

5) if you miss, the lag will punish YOU

6) Roy has extremely low stun time

get it?

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
LOL like we didn't know this. but here's the disclaimers.

1) when the heck will they let you dair them on the ground

2) there's moves that can stop this. Shield, crouch cancel, grab, shadow dodge, wavedash, roll dodge, etc.

3) they can tech

4) the stun might not be enough to get a whole smash in.

5) if you miss, the lag will punish YOU

6) Roy has extremely low stun time

get it?
Rules of smash:
#1 Always L-cancel
#2 Always Tech
#3 Don't get hit
#4 No one is perfect, and thus nothing is impossible.

I do moves like this often, and it connects 80% of the time. It just requires that you have good timing and an open mind. If the situation where this is usable, then it's good to know. And sometimes, because this move is flawed, a person of a higher mind will not expect it and thus get hit by it. This is the phenomena of "Beginner's Luck". I think it's a perfectly usable move, but we probably have completely different playstyles.

And aside from that, you're far too venomous against this new host of enthusasim. With this being a situational move, that in itself means that it is not perfect and will be hard to execute. The situation he gave is a nice one, and one that would probably be better is, say:

An enemy just whiffed an aerial and is still in the air and the lag of the attack. If you're on your feet you can Full hop D-air fastfall l-cancel onto a platform, thus ending the enemy attack and bringing them onto the platform with Roy's crazy D-air, where you can f-smash with a grin on your face.

I'm sure that there are tons of better options, but to keep the opponent confused is a huge part of the game. For example in the same situation you can:

Shffl a fair or two into a d-tilt forward smash
Shffl a nair and follow with a full hop neutral b charge
Dash dance into grab>Dthrow f-smash
Dance cancelled Up smash
D-tilt into DED into edge guard

These are all viable responses to the situation I had provided, but to mix it up gives you flash, style, makes it less likely that they will find a way to seal your moves and punish you.

In short, what I am saying is: Every maneuver works, you just have to know when to apply them. The larger your move "Vocabulary", the better you will look, feel, and be. Because humans aren't perfect, that allows some of the coolest combos, situational or not, to be possible.

leefan

Smash Cadet
um... is he actually asking for advice for using the move, or is he trying to recommend it for us? if thats the case, then i have a move i would like to recommend using.
situation: when someone is trying to recover from upper right hand corner and has used up every recovery method they had and it looks like they may grab the ledge
take c falcon and knee them. it works wonders.

what a great technique, i think ill call it... edge guarding

Top Bottom