• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy v Samus

Glothrenite

Smash Apprentice
http://files.filefront.com/Cronos_RainbowRoy_v_GlothreniteSamus_DreamL64wmv/;4585710;;/fileinfo.html

just a fun match ... whatta ya think

http://files.filefront.com/Cronos_RainbowRoy_v_GlothreniteSamus_FDwmv/;4587320;;/fileinfo.html

and another

with the first vid .. you may need to scroll down the page it sends you to to get to the download link ... its cos the file name was really long.

Well i changed the length of it .. should be fine now.

Ok here is the fountain match ... after watching it again its not that bad of a match ... i just make a few really bad mistakes and it kind of ruins what could have been a good match ... from my point of view that is ... not that Crono didn't force these errors out of me =/

http://files.filefront.com/Cronos_RainbowRoy_v_GlothreniteSamus_Founwmv/;4623385;;/fileinfo.html

Banned via Administration
im not going to comment on the samus as i know very little on how to play samus, but roy is my main so i have advice.

Three things you shouldn't have done
1. edgeguard w/ flare - it is obvious and samus can easily avoid it because of her long *** recovery time. instead, sit there and wait/mindgame a fsmash in.
2. although this sounds odd, but against samus dont do too many fairs. fairs dont lead to anything against samus. instead, do nair.
3. you did too many unnecessary air-dodges. some were good, but many could have been punished.

A thing you should try: instead of shffling so many uairs when samus is above you, try just jumping up and trying to connect a flare blade. at high percents uair will do nothing to help you but a flare blade could help you.

Glothrenite

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefere he did come up and try some flare sh.t on me ... I don't think you realise how much of a shut down those u-airs are ... especially when he has a platform to shield himself with.

in any case .. its a trademark move

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Thanks for your advice 5150, all input is appreciated, though I'll do you a favour back and justify my actions.
EG with flare = less lag time than fsmash, more power to range ratio, holds for longer, avoids 'Roy zone'
The thing that makes my Roy so different from others is the lack of nair and the use of upair. I dislike nair for the fact it generally knocks opponents back to the point they can't be easily followed up on. Fair has a nice swipe which makes bombs easier to hit...Gloth uses and abuses bombs.
Air dodging - not much I can say, yeah some are risky, especially the recovery ones...but it's that that makes them so good, as it's not as expected.
Jumping in with B is something I did try. There were 3 vids initially though only two are here...Im not sure which one by memory had it, but I was repeatedly being punished by bombs while using this, A moves however will eat up a bomb most of the time, so I went with those.
I admit Roy vs Samus isn't my strongest point, and Gloth plays a Samus far from what I'm used to. He's a unique player, and that's what gives him strength - don't go thinking speed is the only key to success either, it's more a bonus coming with experience and practise.

Glothrenite

Smash Apprentice
I'll post the fountain one as well if you like ... I fall easily in it so I didn't think it was as entertaining ... gimme a tick

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
My take on the vids.

So far, I've only watched both vids once, from the point of view of the Roy, and I'll give you my impression.

Shaz, you have a decent Roy, but not an excellent one. You play fast, with lots of SHFFLing and combos, but you don't play smart. Lots of times I saw Samus in the air above you, perfect height for a full jump fast fall l-cancel up-air, but instead you just continued spamming up-air. Other times, when edgeguarding Samus, Gloth did a very bad height for his grapple to touch the wall of FD, and rather than charging neutral B or timing the f-smash to edgeguard, which he couldn't escape, you simply dash danced and wavedashed around, and Gloth ended up recovering. A lot of the time you spent in your shield too, which isn't very effective against Samus.

Gloth, from what I have seen of your Samus, the only thing you really need to do is work on your consistency for all your Samus tricks, add a few ones like beam cancelling (all the Sami in Europe were doing that) and sweetspotting consistently with the grapple beam, and learn when all of them are useful. Once you do that, your Samus will be considered awesome, by me at least ^^.

(It hasnt reached awesome yet, but it's still a good samus. =D)

Degreez

Smash Journeyman
Enjoyable videos.

Just tell the samus dude to work on his edge guarding kicks ( he missed around 3-4 of them ) and to be less bomb crazy lol

overall nice job both of u

Glothrenite

Smash Apprentice
less bomb crazy? ... 'less' bomb crazy? ... sorry ... thats simply not gonna happen

Thanks bringer ... yeah ... my grapple edgeing is in its infancy ... I started actually doing it maybe 4 months ago ... and i dont prctice vs cpu's ... only people ... I'm only just starting to come to grips with the heights involved ... its good to vs shaz's roy instead of his fox ... it gives me a chance to practice them without having to worry about being shine spiked ... beam cancel you say? ... you'll have to fill me in ... as you know my technical knowledge borders on ******** ... I thougt that beam shots worked differently to missles

Cronos_Rainbow said:
Thanks for your advice 5150, all input is appreciated, though I'll do you a favour back and justify my actions.
EG with flare = less lag time than fsmash, more power to range ratio, holds for longer, avoids 'Roy zone'
The thing that makes my Roy so different from others is the lack of nair and the use of upair. I dislike nair for the fact it generally knocks opponents back to the point they can't be easily followed up on. Fair has a nice swipe which makes bombs easier to hit...Gloth uses and abuses bombs.
Air dodging - not much I can say, yeah some are risky, especially the recovery ones...but it's that that makes them so good, as it's not as expected.
Jumping in with B is something I did try. There were 3 vids initially though only two are here...Im not sure which one by memory had it, but I was repeatedly being punished by bombs while using this, A moves however will eat up a bomb most of the time, so I went with those.
I admit Roy vs Samus isn't my strongest point, and Gloth plays a Samus far from what I'm used to. He's a unique player, and that's what gives him strength - don't go thinking speed is the only key to success either, it's more a bonus coming with experience and practise.
i hate to break it to you.....but you're wrong.....style is one thing but you can't play samus (or at least a good one) the way you did.

listen, uairs are great, and imo they are almost better than fair for their juggle ability, but against samus they are ****. yes, they do interrupt samus, which is good at low percents. but once you reach like over 100 or anywhere near you NEED to stop doing the wall of uairs, they dont lead to anything. doing a quick jumping flare WILL work if you space it right and time it right. using uairs the way you do is PERFECT against fastfallers, but not against floaties over 100%.

and nairs not being your "style"? wtf? that's like one of roy's 5 or 6 good moves!!!! nair is the only thing you can do against floaties and ESPECIALLY against samus because of the knockback. I think you are confused in thinking that you will be able to combo w/ fair or something, which you can't because of samus' CC (which gloth or whoever didn't do as much as he should have) and because she is too floaty. and if you space (hit w/ the tip of it) and time nairs right (not fastfalling till both swipes are out) then you won't get hit by bombs. and nair not being able to combo???????????????wtf??????? ok all you have to do is hit w/ the nair, l-cancel, and then follow them. against samus it may even be possible to hit them w/ another nair before they hit the ground. if not, then all you need to do is READ THEIR TECH. roy is fast enough (if you do it right) to be right there when they get out of the tech whether it be stationary or a roll.

oh, and yes you DO NEED TO NOT DO SO MUCH FLARE EDGEGUARD AGAINST SAMUS. if you played a samus who truly knew how to recover, then they would easily get past that EVERY TIME. I'm not saying flare isn't good edgeguard, as it is roy's best option, just not against samus. against fox: yes, against falco: yes, against ganon: yes, against samus: HELL NO. all the samus has to do is sweetspot her beam and she just beat your edgeguard. what i'm saying w/ fsmash is you don't have to exactly edeguard samus while she's off the map. use mindgames. make her think you're going to try and kill her while she gets on the ledge but then just walk back while she gets up and BOOM reverse fsmash and she's dead.

these are facts about how to play a good roy, not just "style tips"

Degreez

Smash Journeyman
Glothrenite said:
less bomb crazy? ... 'less' bomb crazy? ... sorry ... thats simply not gonna happen
Well, at the end the samus just seemed to be fighting himself by trying to use the bombs way to much. he started off using bombs very well, then slowly ran outta ideas i guess and used them when he didnt need to.

rojosmasher

Smash Apprentice
jeesh are you guys serious about a slow samus and a fast roy samus on the second vid dodeg quite a few if not a lot of roys aireals

Glothrenite

Smash Apprentice
5150 ... your argueing in a theoretical .. these are just fun matchs .. calm down .. no need for so many capital letters dude.

Glothrenite said:
5150 ... your argueing in a theoretical .. these are just fun matchs .. calm down .. no need for so many capital letters dude.
theoretical? how about i JUST DID some roy vs. samus matches and tried out different techniques. guess what? the advice I gave you was correct. and i don't think that because it is a "fun" match that chrono would do bad technique on purpose when he was trying so hard.

shoshone

Smash Ace
From what I saw, Cronos, you did a nice job with your u-airs, wavedashing, and mind games, however you also slipped up in some other things. First of all, you did way too much air dodging, and you paid the consequence for it too. Second, you could have done a better job at edge-guarding. You focused a little too much on mind games and kinda forgot about edge guarding. And third you did not use B down once in the whole first vid! I mean, you certainly have the capability to learn how and when to use B down.

I mean, youd still definitely kill me but thats my opinion.

I really didnt focus on the Samus though :(

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Thanks all :).
5150, I appreciate your input dude, but this is not an argument and I don't want it to be. My Roy has done very well for itself against players like Masashi, Isai, Captain Jack etc. I don't pretend to be some kind of know it all, so if you can give me some info it's not going to waste. The fact is though these matches were played at smash it up, drink it up, don't sleep birthday bash held for myself, and truthfully are fun matches. Judge them as you see fit, but don't hold it against me that I wasn't capable of landing many moves ie counters due to his bombing abuse (counter the bomb instead = useless) He plays a unique Samus in that it isn't always doing what most Samus players tend to, and as such does leave me playing differently too.

Cronos_Rainbow said:
Thanks all :).
5150, I appreciate your input dude, but this is not an argument and I don't want it to be. My Roy has done very well for itself against players like Masashi, Isai, Captain Jack etc. I don't pretend to be some kind of know it all, so if you can give me some info it's not going to waste. The fact is though these matches were played at smash it up, drink it up, don't sleep birthday bash held for myself, and truthfully are fun matches. Judge them as you see fit, but don't hold it against me that I wasn't capable of landing many moves ie counters due to his bombing abuse (counter the bomb instead = useless) He plays a unique Samus in that it isn't always doing what most Samus players tend to, and as such does leave me playing differently too.
ok, i understand.

but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up my argument.......

Nexis

Smash Apprentice
If ya used the amount of uairs for nairs (at higher percentage than 50%), I think you could have killed the samus faster.

But other than that, I thought it was a decent roy

The Bino

Smash Lord
By far your Samus is good but you really need to stop using your bombs so much.. a lot of time they can just screw you up.. also you really need to work on your grappling.. there were a lot of times while i was watching and saying i would've grappled there.. and i congrats on anyone who can do the super wave dash.. i just can't nail it.. but my Samus is top level without it.. and dodging is top priority

King Kong

Smash Lord
5150, you dont know who Cronos_rainbow is do you, maybe ask Isai or Captain Jack........

Gloth, your samus is so unique man. I dont think my yoshi will have then upper hand anymore. Nice to see you wavedashing now.

I cant criticise people whp are better than me lol

Nice vids boys. See ya in March! :)

Peace out

Glothrenite

Smash Apprentice
everyone is entitled to there opinions ... and Iceclimber ... I think mine isn't far off being like yours ... lol

Boricua316 .. your critisism sucks ***

added another match

oh yeah .. sorry we didn't record any matchs Zereul ... I just got slack really ... you shoulda harped at me some more ... just gives you all the more reason to come back again!

Thanks KK ... when i come up to visit we can record some matchs! ... Sloth Gloth and KK 3 player drunken FFA ... I think that sounds like fun

ZEREUL

Smash Apprentice
Ah don't worry Gloth, the only match I regret not getting filmed was my Zelda vs Mark's Doc. How he was complaining and kept calling Zelda "That Peach ****" :)

Top Bottom