• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs. Villager!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
nair / good movement is your friend

Edit: Dammit I can't give half ass answers without feeling bad. Okay so what I do when I play against a villager, a good villager, is to apply tons of movement pressure on him. Roy can do this with nair and being extremely fast, but alas its not so simple as 123. Chances are Villager is extremely good at spacing with his fair, and I doubt nair clanks with that. What you want to do is get in his face, and stay in his face at all times. Approaching with shield is your best bet, villager has a terrible grab, and you should abuse the hell out of that. Often times playing against a great villager I try to be around them and refuse to let them play there game. You cant let him get a gyroid out for free. I often grab the villager and would use the throws invincibilty frames to get a free punish and luckily Roy has an amazing throw game. Chances are if you down throw the villager might dair or nair as its so quick, so I always look out for the offensive mix up when the villager is thrown. I believe this match up is tough for Roy, but if you play well and use your ability to kill early you might have this. Also don't get hit offstage, you wont make it back no matter how unpredictable you are. Just try and up b without jumping as quick as you can. Maybe you can hit the villager before his fair hits you. If he is on the ledge charging fsmash. Hold down when you recover you wont grab the ledge but you will blast the villager. Um sorry for the big wall of text, but I have to go and I was summarizing my thoughts as good as I can.

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I just played a friend as Villager(me) vs Roy for an hour and I actually don't see this as being a bad matchup for Roy. Villagers like to either be *really* close or at the very edge of mid range and long range. They can't compete with Roy at point blank range, not by a long shot. Take stage control and get in their face. You don't have to approach with an attack just get in there and play a really passive agressive game with shields (this is a very powerful tactic vs Villager as many characters btw) and punish punish punish. They will probably try and zone you out but Villager doesn't have the mobility to stay away from you for long and really this isn't Link or DHD were taking about, projectile spam won't get them too far. Once you close the gap i don't think they will be able to compete with roys damage/kill potential.

Your upB is a fantastic oos option as long as you don't let Villager cross you up. This was the bane of my existance when i played that match. It very nearly invalidates aerial approaches when used correctly.

All this is asuming customs off btw =P i a imagine counter timber would be a matchup breaker in this case.

x3Dx

Smash Rookie
NNID
ReiiAyanamiii
3DS FC
2552-4012-4230
Watch out for villager's spacing options such side b and fairs. Those really hinder roy's capabilities to get in and rack up damage. best way to do that is shield. Once your'e in avoid being directly above or under villager since his uair and dair come out very quickly.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
If they do cross you up, you can do Up-Smash instead. it connects from Roy's sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom