• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's f-air

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
As a suggestion, I think Roy's f-air should have less knockback, but have the same hitstun. This would result in a buff IMO, because Roy can then have a much heavier combo game using his f-air.

The current knockback that his f-air provides is in many ways redundant with his neutral B, and I think he would benefit a lot from having less f-air knockback, ie. f-air into grab, f-air into d-tilt, etc. He would be able to chase down and continue comboing people much better if they DI away from his d-tilt.

Usually, if people DI away from his d-tilt, he can't follow up with anything other than a strong hit n-air/f-air for a 2 hit combo. Delaying the n-air to only try and get the first weak hit isn't fast enough, and he isn't fast enough to run and then crouch-dtilt either. U-air doesn't reach far enough in front of him to connect.

IMO if he had similar to Melee knockback on his f-air, but retains his current hitstun, it would be a much better move.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
with all due respect, i wouldnt complain at all about fair, nor roys need of a more potent combo game. roy has literally one of the best combo games out of the cast, and if youre having trouble connecting with things like fair > dtilt, or dtilt > anything, then I think it might pay off to do some more experimenting before you jump to conclusions. you can act very quickly out of dtilt (quicker than you might think), so i would try messing around with the timing of that. also, im not sure how at all fair's KB is redundant when compared with neutral B, because theres a BIG BIG difference in KB and function. flare blade is much slower, but has godlike coverage and pretty crazy kill power even uncharged. its great for use off stage use, edgeguarding in general, and even onstage sometimes. fair offers great coverage as well, but is quicker, and already has pretty low KB. when SHFFLd properly, it can easily lead into dtilt until past mid percents, and even at those percents, you can still get off things like fair strings and fair > flare blade. using fair to connect with bair, fsmash, dash attack, and grabs is not a difficult thing, you just have to be aware of your opponents DI, your own timing, and their percent. its one of the best tools in his kit believe it or not, and its integral to his spacing game and combo ability.

trust me, what you are requesting is not anything roy needs. If ANYTHING roy could use tweaks to mobility attributes to help balance his recovery, but even without that, hes still quite a solid character with absolutely amazing combo potential and kill power.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Roy's still hitting people with a wet noodle. I don't see why he needs to hit them with something even soggier. Especially when he can get a lot of combos off of it to begin with because there's not that much knockback, kind of like Marth in a lot of ways.

If there's any aerial that I feel should have modifications at this point, it's probably u-air, but even then, it's because n-air and f-air cover most of the things u-air could be used for, and then there's b-air and u-tilt.

SuruStorm

Smash Cadet
I would love to see some changes to his up air, would be great to have a little more uumph in there, wouldn't mind the mobility changes either.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
even with uair, i think the fact that theres so little KB is the reason that roy is so good against a lot of floaty characters, since he can actually combo them. if you increase the KB on that, it would decrease his combo ability, but it would still be hardly useful as a kill move. for that reason, i think the low KB status of his aerials is perfect. its not like melee, where he would literally get punished on hit, but its enough that its highly effective in setting up into things like fsmash and bair.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Roy is looking pretty solid in his current form.

i think his f-air is fine since it actually does combo at low percents, and given how early Roy can kill....it would be redundant to give him that ability at high percents

P.S -Roy is a combo beast and doesn't really need anymore tools to help him combo

Last edited:

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Roy 's u-air is fine. It's one of his primary combo moves, and adding knockback would make it worse. U-tilt is not redundant with it because it has a very different trajectory. B-air is a killing move.

If you think about it, Roy's f-air is stronger than Marth's sourspotted f-air, and Marth already has trouble comboing out of his sourspotted f-air at mid-high percents if people DI away. Chaining f-airs at higher percents doesn't lead to many hits because there's only so far forward you can go before you reach the edge of the stage.
It obviously combos very well at low percents, but at mid to high percents (60+), if people DI away (which is more often than not), he is stuck in the same position as Marth, not being able to followup after a sourspotted f-air, but not having the luxury of getting straight vertical knockback (and then a free hit) if the tip of his sword hits.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Even with uair, i think the fact that theres so little KB is the reason that Roy is so good against a lot of floaty characters, since he can actually combo them. If you increase the KB on that, it would decrease his combo ability, but it would still be hardly useful as a kill move. For that reason, I think the low KB status of his aerials is perfect. its not like Melee, where he would literally get punished on hit, but its enough that its highly effective in setting up into things like f-smash and b-air.
To add on to what you said, u-air can be acted out of stupid fast when L-canceled. U-air -> u-tilt works wonders on grounded opponents. It even frame traps people on shield most of the time. They see you hit their shield with the u-air and think, "Oh, I can shield grab him", only to get a u-tilt to the face the moment their shield goes down. And who needs to give the u-air "more knock back" when it leads into just about every kill move that Roy has. L-canceled u-air (on grounded opponents) -> F-smash/D-smash/B-air/Flare Blade/grab -> u-throw.

Oops. The thread name is Roy's f-air... It's good as it is. 'Nuff said.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Its definitely true. things like fair, uair, and dair are absolutely integral to his combo game. giving them more KB would basically be hurting his kill potential as well as damage racking abilities. i love that utlit too. such a great tool.

Roy 's u-air is fine. It's one of his primary combo moves, and adding knockback would make it worse. U-tilt is not redundant with it because it has a very different trajectory. B-air is a killing move.

If you think about it, Roy's f-air is stronger than Marth's sourspotted f-air, and Marth already has trouble comboing out of his sourspotted f-air at mid-high percents if people DI away. Chaining f-airs at higher percents doesn't lead to many hits because there's only so far forward you can go before you reach the edge of the stage.
It obviously combos very well at low percents, but at mid to high percents (60+), if people DI away (which is more often than not), he is stuck in the same position as Marth, not being able to followup after a sourspotted f-air, but not having the luxury of getting straight vertical knockback (and then a free hit) if the tip of his sword hits.
i mean, from my perspective, I have no trouble comboing with fair at all. at low to mid percents, i have no problem landing things like dtilt, dtilt, dash attack, DACUS sometimes, and even fsmash if theres a platform around. offstage, i can easily connect fair strings to put the opponent in a bad spot, and sometimes i can connect with a flare blade, bair, and occasionally a dair. i can connect with everything off uair, from fsmahses, to upsmashes, to dairs, to bairs, to grabs, and even more uairs. if youre having trouble combing, i definitely recommend watching some videos, and really trying to improve your timing with things like l cancelling and what not.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
If you're having trouble combo'ing opponents with his Fair, I would suggest trying to hit them at a 45 degree angle. The more level you are with them in the air, the further back they will fly on hit, almost at a straight angle. Try landing the Fair "diagonally" and it will pop them up in a perfect position where you can use your double jump to follow up with another Fair, Dair, or Flare Blade.

Top Bottom