• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubyiris' Combo Video "Insomnia" COMPLETE.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
It's finally finished!

Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm3LVfz_FqQ

Megadownload link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7WLQ30TS

*Old trailers for reference:*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaWXGIfV9dE <- New trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Rubyiris (It's the featured video.) <- old trailer.

My previous video was for critique purposes. This one is instead for entertainment purposes, and as a landmark in how much I've improved in comparison to 2009. So far I've got the following feedback:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I think that's a given. I'd also like to point out that there are plenty of good players with mediocre combo viodeos. :)

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
I would estimate they're far outweighed by mediocre players with good combo videos.... maybe you can pull a couple combos outcho ***, but that don't mean you know how to play DIS GAME. (White Men Can't Jump, 1992)

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Some of the combos were pretty cool.

Here's my opinion:
-I personally don't really like seeing mistakes in combo videos unless it's still unescapable (like missing a jab during a Sheik/Falcon tech chase).
-I personally like to see someone die after a combo...

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Some of the combos were pretty cool.

Here's my opinion:
-I personally don't really like seeing mistakes in combo videos unless it's still unescapable (like missing a jab during a Sheik/Falcon tech chase).
-I personally like to see someone die after a combo...
Noted.

Yes or no on the music. If no, what would you suggest instead?

AXE 09

Smash Master
I personally didn't like the music, but keep in mind that I'm not a very big rock fan. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who will like your music choice, as well as dislike it. It's totally fine to have that kind of music in there though, as long as you want to direct this combo video towards that audience. It's the same as having a combo video with rap music. I personally love them, but I know plenty of people who don't like them since the music takes away from the video for them.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I personally didn't like the music, but keep in mind that I'm not a very big rock fan. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who will like your music choice, as well as dislike it. It's totally fine to have that kind of music in there though, as long as you want to direct this combo video towards that audience. It's the same as having a combo video with rap music. I personally love them, but I know plenty of people who don't like them since the music takes away from the video for them.
I love you jeff, but at least put some effort into at least getting the genre of music I used correct. >:

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
If you attempt to argue that it is not "rock" then you are being pretentious. Just because it has some gay subgenre associated with it does not mean it's not "rock" which is a lot more encompassing.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
If you attempt to argue that it is not "rock" then you are being pretentious. Just because it has some gay subgenre associated with it does not mean it's not "rock" which is a lot more encompassing.
It's not even in the rock genre. It's in the metal genre. Metal and Rock are completely different, as are the subgenres.

Yes I'm being pretentious. Music is the single most life-changing aspect of my entire life. I have the right to be.

tw1n

Smash Champion
I thought it was pretty good. But some of the combos were just 2 or 3 hits and then an edge hog. (ie the dair to dsmash on marth and and the link vs sheik one)

I don't care much for the music choice but then again its not up to us, it is what you are comfortable with.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I like the first clip, marth clips and the ending clip.

pretty ****

The music was really good imho

look forward to the final production

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Imo you need to stop fading everything to black for transistions. A lack of transition is often the best thing. Follow along with the music. Like, if the music suddenly cuts in, you want the clip to hit fast.

As to the music, I think it's pretty good, just the constant fades bothered me, they make it feel slower and didn't fit most of the time with that type of music.

Out of curiosity what genres are you interested in that I might suggest alternatives? (If it's a longer video I like having a couple different kinds of music).

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Imo you need to stop fading everything to black for transistions. A lack of transition is often the best thing. Follow along with the music. Like, if the music suddenly cuts in, you want the clip to hit fast.

As to the music, I think it's pretty good, just the constant fades bothered me, they make it feel slower and didn't fit most of the time with that type of music.

Out of curiosity what genres are you interested in that I might suggest alternatives? (If it's a longer video I like having a couple different kinds of music).
I'm the opposite; Clips not transitioning smoothly irritates me. IYO what would be good times to implement transitions?

As for music genres;

Metal:

Progressive
Power
Neo-Classical
Black
Melodic Death
Melodeath
Tech Death
Grind

Electronic:

Freeform Hardcore
UK Hardcore
Gabber
Progressive Trance
GOA Trance

Hip Hop/Rap/R&B

I prefer instrumental tracks for smash. I don't think vocal tracks fit in well. As for my play style in relation to music; The music I enjoy most I don't feel fits my style of play.

Also;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki_Kajiura <- if you can classify this composers music into a specific genre I will love you forever.

I've been debating on the following tracks:

Yuki Kajiura & FictionJunction: Godsibb (Xenosaga 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTvSX4d-ck

FictionJunction Keiko: Synchronicity (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUQI5IpTKPA

they're both vocal, unfortunately.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
They don't have to not transition smoothly, but they can be much quicker, or rather than fade to black, do a crossdissolve between the two clips if they have similar colors.

It's kinda hard to point it out, it just depends on what's going on. If you have for instance, an obvious point in the music that lulls and then starts up suddenly, you could have one clip fade to black and then have the next clip rush in with from the black but hike the bloom/glow up and have that fade quickly into the normal clip, like in half a second.

The reason I tend to use a lack of transition is that for melee, it's hard to pick a good one in the first place.

With things like an fps montage, it's very easy because lots of things on the screen are constant no matter what the situation, like the gun/HUD. With smash, the colors vary a lot, the placement and size of the characters change constantly (not physically, but the camera moves in and out).

Ie in an fps video, you could do something like, make a good play, and then rewind the footage quickly to the beginning, where a similar clip starts with a different play. In smash even if the play is identical, the chances of the camera, background, and placement of the characters makes this really difficult to pull off with the same feel.

An fps player, can also do things like make tiny bits of theater, watching the player in 3rd person or free cam, leading up to the shot or whatever.

So smash videos really don't have much to work with. If you really want things to be smooth without making the video generic or slowing the pace significantly (generally bad in smash, because how often do you have a slow combo?) you're going to have to make sure each clip has something that ties it into the next clip. Doing that on top of syncing to the music without significantly altering the speed of the clips, tends to be pretty difficult. If there's no transition, you can focus entirely on syncing, and like I said earlier, depending on the music the suddenness can be good. It's also partly that I've never sat down and focused solely on the editing in a video I've made. It's usually just collecting and placing all the footage that takes time, and I've never had the desire to spend a ton of time on the video, and good transitions/editing are something that will take a lot of time for a smash vid.

If you really really want smoothness, but also don't want to put a ton of time into each and every transition, just do a combination of crossdissolve (additive works pretty well sometimes) and dissolve through black like you've been doing, but speed up the transition. It'll still be smooth if you halve or even quarter the length of some of those.

An example from your vid, looking at the clip that ends around :44. The main melody kicks in with the guitar, and the death should be taking place when the guitar slides down the neck (not sure what the term for that is) right before the next measure and have the transition be concluding on beat with the next clip. Clip needs to start on the beat or a significant note in the music, but it doesn't instead you still see falco running around for about and then link starts things up after the music's already hit the fan. In this case I would have liked a lighter colored stage to be in the next clip, dreamland or yoshi's would be good. I would probably use an additive dissolve in this case because it won't get too bright because of the black background in the second clip, and maybe a little flare to accentuate peach's death. In terms of timing, I would like to see link's bthrow animation happening on the beat, meaning the grab is happening on the upbeat to the melody.

If you want I can try to make a video that focuses more on editing/transitions than actual footage to show you what I mean, and annotate it, to the song of your choice. I would try to do it based on the footage in the clip, but the fades are already there, and getting stuff directly from you would be a bit of a hassle

edit:
actually this video I did recently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCv9nAWTvEs will work. I'll put up 2 more versions of that. The current version is light on editing, but the timing is good. I'll put up one version with those transitions all fade, and one where I put some work into it and try to spruce up the editing. Sadly, some of the footage in that is choppy, but I have it sitting out still as a project so it'll be easy to pick up and change.
also I really wish TRC hadn't turned into into something dumb/gotten canceled as an anime. I enjoyed the manga, I think if they had stuck completely to the story for an anime it would have been great.

for music, I prefer instrumental tracks as well, nowadays, but vocals work to your advantage occasionally. I'll give the music some more thought.

I hope some of that helped or else I just wasted a bunch of time haha. hit me up on aim sometime, it'll probably be easier that way.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Nice footage, music didn't fit. You might want to try something more rough. Falco and Fox combo nicely on a dance/hardcore-like track, so I think you should look in that direction. Rapex2 is an example, as are the SW vids etc.

You don't have to of course, but its just like how well rock matches with Falcon videos.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i personally think that rap works better with falcon, but to each his own.

i wanted to avoid using hardcore with space animals, though. my first combo video was made using freeform hardcore. it worked well outside of some editing errors, but I wanted to try something a little different.

i think that if i could come across a vocaless version of synchronicity, i'd work off that. it has the intensity, but it's a different genre, which was my original intent.

Metà

Smash Master
ok use some gabber in your video and I'll be impressed

I always thought you weren't into reaaally hard electronica like that. Gabber rarely even has melody, and if it does it's quite heavily distorted.

Top Bottom