• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RUMBLE VS NO RUMBLE

Rumble Or No Rumble ?

• Total voters

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
since i joined the melee community last summer , Ive come to find that a majority of smashers dont like rumble. I have been told by some that it messes with your tech-skill when your playing. i myself have to have rumble on ..i cant play without it at the moment.

i wanted to know if there are any advantages when you turn rumble off?

alot of top players dont use rumble but i believe axe who is very technical does

so i ask you guys why you dont like / like ....rumble ?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I took rumble out cause someone keeps turning it on. I had to play a tournament set with it and didn't want to ask to turn it off once i found out it was on cause we started but it pissed me off. Just takes you out of the game if you're not used to it. IMO if you like rumble set it to your tag.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah I set a tag quickly in tournament to put rumble on because I know I am a minority. I don't understand how people play without it but whatever.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Ever since I got a rumble pack for my N64 controller back in '97 I haven't really looked back at playing without rumble.
16 years later, playing a game that has rumble without rumble just feels off to me. All preference really.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
No rumble, but it's 100% preference.
I'll probably take the rumble out of my controller at some point so I don't have to deal with using a setup after some rumblers.

Hahmed2

Smash Rookie
i use rumble probably just cuz i've never thought of taking it out. it doesn't mess with me. at this point it'd probably mess with me if their was no rumble.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
my controller cannot rumble. and whenever its supposed to rumble it lights up on the underside. :D

Bones0

Smash Legend
Took out the rumble pack and never looked back. Not only is rumbling annoying when I'm trying to make precise movements, but I like having light controllers (not light UP controllers like Strong Bad mentioned lol).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
pearl top clear bottom, w/ LEDs in it for the described function

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
Took out the rumble pack and never looked back. Not only is rumbling annoying when I'm trying to make precise movements, but I like having light controllers (not light UP controllers like Strong Bad mentioned lol).
This.

I started realizing it was a function I'm better off not using when I started playing Halo 2 competitively. Having rumble on makes it more likely you'll mess up whatever precision you're going for, so for shooters, especially Halo since you have to shoot a lot more rounds in Halo than you do in CoD, I don't deal with rumble nonsense. Melee is the same story, in my experience having my **** rumble for every moment of contact just messes me up, I feel like the less things connecting you to the gameplay on the screen the better off you are. Making the controller lighter is a huge plus as well. But it really is all preference at the end of the discussion though.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even sure if I have rumble on or not... I probably do but I guess I don't notice it at all. Ill try turning it off and see if it makes a difference.

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
When rumble is off I play very ****ty. I use rumble because it let's me know I'm doing my movemnets corectly, I love rumble lol but as some of the comments said preference.

Daryl Dixon

Smash Rookie
I've always had it turned off by default. I'm sure playing with it on wouldn't go well at all.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
If some of you want to permanently turn off rumble and want an end to it, you could just open up the controller and cut the wire. I dont see how this would not be tourney legal, so it should be fine and is VERY easy to do. Removing the rumble pack may be illegal, but is also very easy and something that some of you might want to consider to make the controller lighter
BTW, this does not apply to me, unfortunately. I like the rumble and the weight :)

JKJ

Smash Ace
I cannot use rumble anymore.
When I was younger, I loved it. Now, with all my technical craziness in this game, rumble makes me mess up my standard dair-shines as falco and my drillshines as fox. It also makes me mess up my combos with Captain Falcon and Marth, idk why though. I don't hate it, and I still have rumble in my controllers, but it's not something I an really use anymore.
I do like it for other games though :)

Tavo_7

BRoomer
BRoomer
I removed the rumble from inside the controller and then it felt heavy when I finally switched controllers, don't play competitively anymore so I don't pay attention anymore.

stelzig

Smash Lord
I took rumble out cause someone keeps turning it on. I had to play a tournament set with it and didn't want to ask to turn it off once i found out it was on cause we started but it pissed me off. Just takes you out of the game if you're not used to it. IMO if you like rumble set it to your tag.
IMO, if you're annoyed that much either way then put rumble on/off on your tag depending on what you prefer. Or of course just taking it out of your controller as many have suggested :p (and as you did)
I play with rumble, and danish smashers have sadly all started to turn it off lately (stay off my p4 port at least *******! :p). It is so damn annoying and sadly just putting it on a tag isn't that effective alot of the time because rotation in friendlies (we're usually 3 on one screen) and tag disappearing whenever you swap out.
You know what's also annoying btw? People turning off music. Unlike rumble, I haven't got used to people doing that yet so I still have that "something isn't right" phase sometimes when that happens, where I can't even concentrate as much on the game because it feels different, but I can't find out why :p

stelzig

Smash Lord
Well it's happened enough for me to find it annoying :p (speaking of vids. No music can even annoy/throw me off there lol)
But yeah it hasn't become a thing in Denmark yet so I only experience it at international tournaments. Far from all doing it though, rumble being off is alot more common.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I think there is soo many things to think about in melee that being focused on rumble being on or off is really a stupid thing to think about.
i dont like when the music is too loud(cause it slowly degrades your hearing and hurts my ears cause i have jaw problems) but it doesnt bother me to have music off

If some of you want to permanently turn off rumble and want an end to it, you could just open up the controller and cut the wire. I dont see how this would not be tourney legal, so it should be fine and is VERY easy to do. Removing the rumble pack may be illegal, but is also very easy and something that some of you might want to consider to make the controller lighter
BTW, this does not apply to me, unfortunately. I like the rumble and the weight :)
No one ever enforces no controller mods

Having no rumble motor in the controller is the best (for those who prefer no rumble). You never have to set rumble off and lighter controllers feel so much better

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
i hate playing with rumble
i took out my rumble pack. i cant imagine it being illegal since its the exact same thing as just turning it off

armada plays with rumble, and someone mentioned axe does, so as far as affecting tech skill i guess it doesnt. if you like playing with rumble just keep at it

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I have to have rumble. I learned a lot of tech skill based around the rhythm of the rumble, and I cannot seem to get a "feel" for what I am doing without feedback.

Rumble is just always something I have preferred and enjoyed in games.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
No one ever enforces no controller mods

Having no rumble motor in the controller is the best (for those who prefer no rumble). You never have to set rumble off and lighter controllers feel so much better
Really? Iv never been to a tourney, didnt know they werent too strict about it. I like my controller heavier, maybe just me.

Ongbak

Smash Rookie
The majority of time that I spent playing gamecube I used wavebirds, so rumble really throws me off when playing melee.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I personally need to have it on, SDIing feels much easier with a physical cue. I'm not sure if it's just placebo or not, though.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I just tried out rumble for the first time with competitive smash. It certainly didn't hurt, so I'm gonna leave it on for a while, and then switch back and see what's better. My hunch is that it has no effect on my gameplay at my current skill level.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
i usually play with it off but i dont really care if its on
it definitely won't affect your techskill if you're levelheaded about it. if you're paranoid about it, your techskill will go down the drain lol

i think turning rumble on has the advantage of having more feedback from the game but i prefer it off

Insom

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand how people can play without rumble. When I play without rumble, I feel like my character isn't even there. When rumble is on, I can feel my characters weight, I can feel the attacks connecting. It get's me into the game more.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I hate rumble

I ripped the rumble packs out of every one of my gamecube controllers and most of my dualshock controllers

Top Bottom