• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sa2vation- FT: Cyrain, Chillin, DoH, CT Zero, Cheese, Doom, Seagull, Nintendude!

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm going to go outside to a group of girls sledding and ask them if they want to come in and Smash.

Perhaps I should find a better wording though.

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
@Tantalus, there's also the 24 Shop located right below the venue. It's a 24/7 convenience store in the building in the middle of the quad that's pretty much like a 7-eleven, so you can get taquitos, hot dogs, pizza, wings, and all sorts of junkfood and drinks there. Just another option for lunch or dinner in case people are too lazy to walk to stamp or just want a snack.

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
Oh I know! It will snow in the afternoon, and then some girls will come in, asking us if we want to go sledding.
Does this have to do with the incident in the ccc? Or is this something else?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
At the one in like October or November a bunch of girls came in the room and asked us if we wanted to go slip and sliding with them (it was pouring outside).

Bones0

Smash Legend
I know you said you went Sheik since you knew I had mostly Marth practice, but that's still kinda dumb because you'll never improve trying to make the easiest counterpicks. Marth-Falco is even enough that neither main should need a secondary.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I know you said you went Sheik since you knew I had mostly Marth practice, but that's still kinda dumb because you'll never improve trying to make the easiest counterpicks. Marth-Falco is even enough that neither main should need a secondary.
Well it was my first tournament and Milkman sought me out to specifically to tell me not to go Marth. He has much more experience than myself so I felt like I should've listened to him. But I'll definitely go in with more confidence next time I go to a tournament (which might be this one lol).

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I mean, if you guys want to get a collection started, we can do that and I can paypal it to them on behalf of melee (brawl is getting crushed and I doubt they care)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Should we make this a donation tournament for EVO?
What did you have in mind specifically? We could up the venue fee and then donate the extra, we can take a percentage from all of the pots, or we can just simply ask for donations.

It could be funny to have people $5 MM m2k and for every MM he wins, he keeps $2 and donates $3.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
What did you have in mind specifically? We could up the venue fee and then donate the extra, we can take a percentage from all of the pots, or we can just simply ask for donations.
I would imagine he was suggesting donating the entire pot and any extra venue fee money. If not, that's what I'm suggesting.

dkuo

Smash Lord
i imagine many players would not enjoy that and decide not to come

we have to try to aim for a happy medium to achieve optimal results

edit: also i have a gut feeling i wont be able to attend unfortunately

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
i imagine many players would not enjoy that and decide not to come

we have to try to aim for a happy medium to achieve optimal results
In that case, I would say take a percentage from the pot.

dkuo

Smash Lord
someone should make a poll for this. maybe ask for acceptable % numbers etc and get some logistics going to see how to maximize potential donations (optimizing # of entrants with pot percentage to charity)

alternatively, have a separate donation fund outside of the tournament pot and see how potential donations for that would do

etc. just some ideas

I'm not giving **** to Evo, **** off

:017:
lol. that's fine then, don't come/enter/etc

unless the hosts decide player attendance is more important than evo donations, i dont think people not coming because of reduced pots should be a problem jk it should still be considered for the excess venue fee
on the other hand, not attending because charity percentage passed their threshold for attending is pretty important

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I like the m2k idea, also a percentage of the venue fee. I don't know about the pot because that's the draw.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
apparently i'm going to this

need a teammate for melee & project m. jason? mike?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think this would be reasonable:
- $3 venue from everyone goes to Evo
- $10 entry so out of state people attend
- People who place top 3 are obligated to do some $5 MMs which gives $3 to Evo

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Or go host your own **** for that, no one is going to be forced to give anything, if you wanna give your money then go ahead but stop trying to force it into this event.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)

It could be funny to have people $5 MM m2k and for every MM he wins, he keeps $2 and donates $3.
I would do this if a lot of people agreed to it tbh

Izzet

Smash Rookie
Or go host your own **** for that, no one is going to be forced to give anything, if you wanna give your money then go ahead but stop trying to force it into this event.

I agree with EE. Those that don't care for EVO shouldn't be forced to help a cause they don't care about. Or keep in mind that those that do care about it more than likely already donated? After already donating, why would they want to be forced to donate again?

I think you guys should promote it and try to collect donations at the venue, but keep it separate from the tourney. The tournament/the hype and hanging out with others in the community are all most of us go for anyways.

CTL17

Smash Lord
No to the venue fee thing.
If Jason is willing to do the MM donation, then let him do that.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Make this 10 entry instead of 5 and ill bring a NJ/PA carpool here. salem may come o.o
Sorry, this tournament is geared with a local feel. However, there are 6 events you can potentially profit from. So you pay in 30 in events, if there are 20 people per event, and you win all of them, you could end up coming home with maybe 150-200 or so. Because this event is being held in a college, we want to make as accessible to the college players as possible.

someone should make a poll for this. maybe ask for acceptable % numbers etc and get some logistics going to see how to maximize potential donations (optimizing # of entrants with pot percentage to charity)

alternatively, have a separate donation fund outside of the tournament pot and see how potential donations for that would do

etc. just some ideas

lol. that's fine then, don't come/enter/etc

unless the hosts decide player attendance is more important than evo donations, i dont think people not coming because of reduced pots should be a problem jk it should still be considered for the excess venue fee
on the other hand, not attending because charity percentage passed their threshold for attending is pretty important
Please simply ask for the donations. The goal for the venue fee is to be free, and with a $5 entry for the tournament, taking money from the pot is not preferred. I would like to still pay top 4 in singles.

No, we won't be doing this. Again, keep in mind that there are multiple ways to get a free venue fee, the goal of this is to keep it free for everyone. The venue fee is simply a penalty for people who are lazy and don't attend school there to help cover the costs of the TO's, Streamers, and assistants time in setup and TO'ing. If we have any left over, i'd be happy to donate it towards Melee EVO.

I agree with EE. Those that don't care for EVO shouldn't be forced to help a cause they don't care about. Or keep in mind that those that do care about it more than likely already donated? After already donating, why would they want to be forced to donate again?

I think you guys should promote it and try to collect donations at the venue, but keep it separate from the tourney. The tournament/the hype and hanging out with others in the community are all most of us go for anyways.
As do I. I do support smash being on the evo scene, but it should be everyone's choice.

ill also definitely do the MM idea you guys suggested

in both melee and brawl for sure
I'm sure people would participate.

We're keeping this 5/5/5.

:018:
Yes we are.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
IMPORTANT RULE CHANGE FOR BRAWL

As we experienced with APEX, we had an incredibly long top 8 finals. It took almost 4 and a half hours. I realize some sets were 3/5 that weren't normally, but this kind of setup is just one of the many reasons brawl has not been accepted into a large community and gets 100s of viewers for a weekend stream instead of 1000s.

THEREFORE: WE ARE USING THE APEX RULESET WITH A MODIFICATION FOR SINGLES ONLY

The stock count will be 2.
The time limit will be 6 minutes.

All other rules remain in tact. This is a trial run to see
A. How, if any, more interesting brawl becomes as a shorter game
B. How much this speeds up tournament time
C. If timeouts still occur

I know some people will support this and some people will be against, but this is a unique opportunity to try something different for the community and I look at this with an open mind, especially in a $5 event rather than a $10 event. I'm also looking forward to player feedback after the event on the change.

Please note this important change, I will update it in Post 1. It will also be updated on Smash4U and AiB.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Another IMPORTANT Announcement!

I've just gotten confirmation that VGBootcamp will be streaming in HD for us! They are a twitch partner, if you didn't know already, meaning their stream gets bumped to the front page. You should go ahead and support them, they are currently streaming Marvel at Xanadu:

www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Or just go to vgbootcamp.com, which will redirect you to the twitch stream.

If you get an opportunity, please donate to their stream. They are a fantastic group of guys who serve the community selflessly.

Top Bottom