• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sa2vation Results Ft: Cyrain, Chillindude, Redd, CT Zero, Lie, Seagull

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I think we can all agree we just want to see Cammypoo at a tournament happy and smiling.

At least, that's what I want. <3

:phone:

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Bones- tournament seeding is too hard to predict early, because you literally have no idea who will show up at any given point, the seed list could change entirely

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Also nintendude I know you're good but cyrain and tope have been at the top of mdva in melee all the way back to at least 07, I dunno how you can say cyrain is on the b tier of players. He's always a threat to win even without tope to train with now.

Bones0

Smash Legend
1) that board **** talk

2) this is going to be solved with the elo system as it will enable objective seeding

3) bones, posting seeding is not necessarily the best idea simply because people have wildly varying and strong opinions on who's better than who...also @ your preparation thing...bracket probably shouldn't even be revealed to the players.
You had the HyperPhoenix bracket on a giant poster... >.>
Although I guess top 8 is a lot different than a full bracket. Whatever, I'll just wait for 'dat Elo seeding to see how it handles my wildly inconsistent results. lol

Bones- tournament seeding is too hard to predict early, because you literally have no idea who will show up at any given point, the seed list could change entirely

Idk what you're talking about, so you may have to elaborate. If you have to seed players for a tournament on Saturday, what would change between then and the week before? Just seed everyone in MD/VA, and whoever shows up gets the seed they always have. If a player shows improvement or falls off, you adjust their seed accordingly before the next event. There is no prediction going on. I can't imagine TOs are seeding based on who is playing well during warmups or something...

From what I have seen of Sypher, he has everyone stored in his version of Tio already with seeds in place, so this is basically what he already does (if I'm not mistaken). Pretty sure he could go through his list and post what he has everyone seeded as, 1-10 (though I can sort of understand why he might not want that public).

Nintendude

Smash Hero
You guys are funny...getting all butthurt about a very rough rankings list that was clearly stated to be imo. Who cares tho, this is the kind of stuff that makes tourneys more hype.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i wish my region was like this, people might care enough to improve if we had this kind of ****talk LOL

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Bones- what I mean is that anyone could show up at any time. Tio only allows seeds 1-10. It's best to seed once you have a complete entrants list, and not have a mega ranking of everyone, because what happens if 6-7 mid level players drop in from another state, the whole thing gets messed up.

Bones0

Smash Legend
i wish my region was like this, people might care enough to improve if we had this kind of ****talk LOL
This like never happens in this region. lol

Bones- what I mean is that anyone could show up at any time. Tio only allows seeds 1-10. It's best to seed once you have a complete entrants list, and not have a mega ranking of everyone, because what happens if 6-7 mid level players drop in from another state, the whole thing gets messed up.
I don't see how who entering has any basis on who is seeded above whom though. Yeah, I understand a ten person tourney may seed the top two players 1 and 2 instead of just leaving them both at 1, but if our seeding list had Redd > Chillin and the tournament has 50 people, then sure we can make both of them 1. It's way easier to go from specific seeds to vague ones as opposed to the other way around though.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
You had the HyperPhoenix bracket on a giant poster... >.>
Although I guess top 8 is a lot different than a full bracket. Whatever, I'll just wait for 'dat Elo seeding to see how it handles my wildly inconsistent results. lol
That's true, I'm guilty of revealing the bracket, but I don't think it was premature at that point. Seeds had already been determined by pools and I spent enough time on the bracket to know that there weren't going to be any complications that forced a change.

From what I have seen of Sypher, he has everyone stored in his version of Tio already with seeds in place, so this is basically what he already does (if I'm not mistaken). Pretty sure he could go through his list and post what he has everyone seeded as, 1-10 (though I can sort of understand why he might not want that public).
Oh god, what? Where did you get that idea? I don't keep lists, I do all of my seeding at the event for that event only.

The biggest problem with having a list of predetermined seeds is that tio doesn't support arbitrary values for seeding, and if you do listed seeding you can't take advantage of its good regional seperation algorithm (not that most TOs do anyway). There's other resolution crap that I'm too lazy to get into right now, but taking from a list isn't very good when you have a tournament with a few outliers.

eg
Redd >> Sypher >>>> randoms
small tourney

if i had seeding done according to some list, redd might be 10 and i might be 5 where the randoms would all be 1, but the highest resolution really needs to be between the randoms

i would put both redd and i at 10 seed and figure out the rest from 1-9

tio actually kinda sucks in the way it does seeding

If a player shows improvement or falls off, you adjust their seed accordingly before the next event. There is no prediction going on.
the complexity of this is the biggest issue aside from seed establishment

Top Bottom