• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

saggy sticks?

tatsuha

Smash Cadet
With all the difficulty in getting new controllers (cost + availability) to replace ones with worn springs, it doesn't seem like a great option for such a simple problem. Would it be worth it to buy the crappy off-brand controllers for their springs and swapping them into the Nintendo-brand ones? I assume buying replacement springs online might be easier, but I'm not sure of the proper spring specs or whether people might complain about tournament legality.

Is this a good contingency plan for when the world's supply of good controllers has been depleted, or am I insane?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Just from opening different brands of controllers, I can tell you they don't seem to be assembled the same way on the inside and the pieces can't always just be switched out.

tatsuha

Smash Cadet
Just from opening different brands of controllers, I can tell you they don't seem to be assembled the same way on the inside and the pieces can't always just be switched out.
I figured the analog sticks would have to be similar, but I suppose that isn't the case. Maybe it'd be easier to just find springs after all.

oh, i was hoping this thread was about ED and you had some tips...

i could really use them
Still haven't found a fix for my ED. Miss ya, Lunchables!

Tesh

Smash Hero
nah, the sticks i got out of my gamestop controller do not attach the way nintendo sticks do. however you CAN take the sticks from classic controllers and nunchucks

some 3rd party stuff is shaped the same on the inside but its rare and there is almost no point in doing things the same way as nintendo when u could be cheaper or better in some way.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
wow i had this nice reponse typed up with sexual undertones and everything, then crashboards decides to update its software right as i'm posting

anyways if the spring has too much tension the stick is probably going to be ass, which is almost certainly what you're going to find from those lookalike controllers. what really needs to be done is a measurement of the springs nintendo uses so that we can constantly re-spring and re-lube our controllers for generations

i have some spare joystick modules that i can give to you if you're looking for an immediate replacement, but that might require you to go smashing sometime :|

tatsuha

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that update screwed up my chi.

My worry was that it would require too specific of a spring. Obviously length and diameter matter, and spring rate....but if the spring is being bent sideways, that's not necessarily going to directly correlate to the spring rate. It's probably just a matter of counting the coils or something simple. I just haven't gotten to look into it much, yet. I'll see if I can find that, because it would suck to see the community die because nobody can use their tech skill anymore.

I've got enough (two) working controllers right now, I think. I just wanted to make sure I had a backup, but I don't really want to spend $50 when I just need a spring. PM sent regarding life stuff.

Top Bottom