• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai ADMIITED cutting out characters

WilldaBeast

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure there were more than the forbidden seven, like, I'm sure he had ideas for characters that he didn't even start developing but wanted in the game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
As for GAW, yeah you got me there. That dude is WAY out there. However, the fact that he's so far out there is what buys him for me. He's completely original and incredibly unique. I can see where I may sound biased in my argument if it comes to GAW vs Olimar. Of course, there is the fact that GAW actually has a strong place in gaming history.
I can spot a couple of fallacies. Firstly, how is Olimar not unique? He's probably one of the most unique characters in the game. No one else can pluck little people out of the ground to attack and throw with. Plus, his credibility fluctuates depending on how many Pikmin you pluck. The more, the better. The only other character that fluctuates in usability is the Ice Climbers, because if you lose Nana, you lose half of your character (which is somewhat similar to Olimar having no Pikmin).

Also, Olimar does hold a strong place in gaming history. Since when has G&W been more popular than Olimar? Maybe he was years and years ago (technically he wasn't really an individual character, but regardless..), but Olimar stands in the light of Nintendo's continuation of innovation and unique game design. Pikmin is unlike anything else. Ever. And Olimar is a very strange character. Yeah, he's pretty simple in design, but in concept, he and his Pikmin go hand in hand as a wonderful character(s) in Nintendo's book. I would include Olimar in the ranks of Mario and Link in terms of uniqueness and innovation. He's definitely not one of my favorite smashers, but I love the guy and very much appreciate his inclusion.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
I will say 2 things.

1. I trust anything that the developers did regarding character selection. The team spent months on this game, I'm sure they would've liked to have just as many characters as we ideally want... but the fact is, it's just messy to keep throwing characters in there to appease the fans. I was always under the impression before release that the game was going to have tops 35 selectable characters (not anticipating alternates/transformations), and apparently they (mostly) felt the same way.

2. Toon Sheik? Hell, just do Tetra. She was frikkin' sweet. Although, I guess I can't deny that I'd like to see what "Toon Sheik" would've looked like...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sakurai cut characters? No duh. What's next? Police ADMIT to arresting people!
STOP IT YOU'RE SCARING THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!

but in all seriousness every game cuts some of its ideas why people are surprised about this. if he said he'd eaten babies or something sure but omg some ideas didn't make it to the final product this is such a shock to the world and the natural order.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I can spot a couple of fallacies. Firstly, how is Olimar not unique? He's probably one of the most unique characters in the game. No one else can pluck little people out of the ground to attack and throw with. Plus, his credibility fluctuates depending on how many Pikmin you pluck. The more, the better. The only other character that fluctuates in usability is the Ice Climbers, because if you lose Nana, you lose half of your character (which is somewhat similar to Olimar having no Pikmin).

Also, Olimar does hold a strong place in gaming history. Since when has G&W been more popular than Olimar? Maybe he was years and years ago (technically he wasn't really an individual character, but regardless..), but Olimar stands in the light of Nintendo's continuation of innovation and unique game design. Pikmin is unlike anything else. Ever. And Olimar is a very strange character. Yeah, he's pretty simple in design, but in concept, he and his Pikmin go hand in hand as a wonderful character(s) in Nintendo's book. I would include Olimar in the ranks of Mario and Link in terms of uniqueness and innovation. He's definitely not one of my favorite smashers, but I love the guy and very much appreciate his inclusion.
The thing with me is that I do see that Olimar and his game is extremely unique and innovative, I just dont see how it should transition to brawl. Also, Olimar can do perfectly fine with just 2 Pikmin at any time, except for when he has to recover. This doesn't make him fluctuate as much as one may think.

Also, his basic strategy is just to throw as many Pikmin at the opponent as you can, then spend a couple seconds puliing more out when they're killed. With the Ice Climbers, you're constantly working with your partner to try and overcome the opponent. You constantly have to consider Nana in your movements and tactics to compete in high end competetion. Finally, you have to work to save Nana when the opponent singles her out because, unlike Olimar who only needs all of his Pikmin for his recovery, Popo only has that one Nana that can't be replaced, and he is much more vulnerable in every way without her.

Now as far as Olimar's popularity goes, in my region Olimar is about as popular as the roadkill on the highway. Sure this doesn't speak for the entire world, but you can't blame me for having this factored into my opinion.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Also, [Olimar's] basic strategy is just to throw as many Pikmin at the opponent as you can, then spend a couple seconds puliing more out when they're killed.
Clearly you have never played Olimar.

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo was probably cut by some pretentious art designer for the aesthetics of the character selection screen.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Also, Olimar can do perfectly fine with just 2 Pikmin at any time, except for when he has to recover.
No. Just no.

Now as far as Olimar's popularity goes, in my region Olimar is about as popular as the roadkill on the highway. Sure this doesn't speak for the entire world, but you can't blame me for having this factored into my opinion.
So.... Have you played Pikmin?

BTW, I'm sorry this thread has been hijacked XD

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
not that anyone will ever read this. but it makes sense why they dont tell us who the "removed" characters were.

i mean afterall theres going to be a new brawl game eventually and this way they can save what they've put together for the next game.

telling us now would be a poor marketing choice hehe.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
I think we can all understand that there needs to be new characters for the next installment of the series, but it's just kind of dissapointing after seven years of waiting. How long will we have to wait for the next game?

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Dude, waiting is not as big a deal as you think. I rather much enjoy all the games that come after Brawl, some even being new Nintendo (or Nintendo published) IPs. That way we have more things to consider for a future SSB game.

And yes, more characters, but that means we need more modes and new additions. What else would Smash be lol?!

PS: I'll trust what the developers are doing for each Smash game since they've done everything we could hope for in the last three games. I think its fair to say we will have at least 50 playable characters in the next one though and I'm psyched since Nintendo seems to be on a roll nowadays with what they are doing and what they are funding.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Please don't discuss SSB4, you'll get the thread locked! lol

Anyway Olimar as a SSBB character reflects the game he came from. Quirky, unique and at times difficult.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Just like he cut out every other character you ever wanted. That's what people will hear since they don't read.

Star Ryan

Smash Cadet
Claus was blatantly cut.

Jest.

I'm quite enjoying brawl as it is to be honest, minus tripping every now and then.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I agree. They've done everything in their power to look for things we wanted. Come on, more music files, the forbidden 7. Sure, why do something and not report it for the glory. I mean come on, if these guys found out, they would have told someone or at least done a match with the hacked character(s).

PS: Olimar is in because he's of course a Nintendo made character from recent times. I don't see a better excuse. Someone has to represent Pikmin and none better than him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Interestingly enough from what can be inferred from the game's coding, Mewtwo and Roy were pretty much done or complete by the time they were taken out. They were going to be in until Sakurai decided to add Sonic.

jakeadactyl

Smash Apprentice
so now that sakurai said he may consider making another game down the road, can we consider dlc again?

i mean, a lot of the things he says, he changes his mind on (ness, mario tornado, etc) so i don't see why the mods and rupeeclock flip and lock any thread even containing the letters dlc in it. >.<

and it IS possible, it could be done through another channel which acts as both a disc channel and a separate one (similar to the mario kart channel). the disc could be played through that channel and also incorporate the extra content. i mean, come one, we see nintendo's new "pay and play" system and new stuff comes out all the time. Yesterday, a huge update for my pokemon ranch was released. it IS possible for brawl

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh. So that's why Krystal, Ridley and Geno aren't in. >.>

Why does this have a topic?
I think Geno's exclusion was the result of copyright issues. After all, Sakurai stated that some stuff didn't get in due to copyrights and then there's one of the scrapped tracks.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Wow

Didn't Sakurai also cut Pit and Mewtwo in SSB64?

And weren't Diddy Kong and Wolf (Face it, Dixie and the Wolfen getting trophies but those two didn't makes it suspcious) cut in SSBM?

At least Sakurai was man enough to admit something he did.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
When deciding what characters should be included, you must take into account the balance between all characters, and that whittles down to each and every attack/move that the character can do, along with their hitboxes, height, weight, power, speed, fall, and every other statistic that carves the character into what they are. A character is not defined by their looks, they are defined by their statistics, and whether or not those statistics can balance out the roster well enough. For instance, just look at the roster in brawl. It's a beautiful, clean rectangle, with the characters well ordered and balanced. Hell, look at the Mario-G&W-Olimar triangle. Mario is positioned in the top left, G&W in the top right, and Olimar smack dab at the bottom of the center column. Also, what's in the center column? The three Kirby characters (not four, but three, so the space at the bottom could be open for Olimar, who completes the triangle). G&W inspired Mario's design; Mario inspired Olimar's design (and name), and hence is why they form the triangle. Sakurai put his less-known series right in the center, because it's HIS, and he wanted it centered, to balance the roster even further. It's not to the left, because Kirby does not sport the fame that Mario does, and it's not to the right, because it's not 3rd party/not well known. Pokemon is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises, but they put the Pokemon characters on the right side of the roster so that not all of the super-franchises would take up the left side. They could easily have switched the places of the Metroid/Retro column with Pokemon, but that would have looked like this:

Popular /// Fulcrum (Kirby + Olimar) /// Not as popular & extras.

How the designed it eliminated that, and mixed it up a bit.

Popular/Popular/Popular/Semi-popular/Fulcrum (Semi-popular)/Semi-popular/Popular/Semi-popular/Extras.

That boils down to 4 popular columns, 4 semi-popular columns, and the extras column (mostly 3rd party). Wanna know why Mewtwo, Dixie, Plusle + Minun, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Toon Zelda/Sheik were cut (along with any other characters in the planning stages)? Because they would have totally unbalanced the roster. It would not be your nice, clean rectangle, but would have to be rearranged entirely to attain any kind of balance or cohesive form.

Anyways, that's enough on my part.
No one said anything about this post?

>_>

<_<

Well *I* appreciated it. More or less made the layout of the character roster more clear. I certainly didn't notice the G&W/Mario/Olimar theme (If it's to be believed.)

What about ROB though? He's just kind of hanging out in a weird spot. :laugh:

M@v

Subarashii!
How about you guys stop the sakurai hate. NEWS FLASH: EVERY GAME HAS STUFF CUT FROM IT. Do you know anything about game development? Without Sakurai the game and these forums wouldnt be here so think before jumping on the hate bandwagon.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
no pit wasnt cut from ssb64. but mewtwo was. there was also someone else that i forgot.
basically if he was supposed to be cut he would appear in melee.

Ørion

Smash Ace
How about you guys stop the sakurai hate. NEWS FLASH: EVERY GAME HAS STUFF CUT FROM IT. Do you know anything about game development? Without Sakurai the game and these forums wouldnt be here so think before jumping on the hate bandwagon.
Ya, I don't really see what the big deal is. So...Sakurai says that they didn't have time/room on the disk or whatever so some of the ideas or even complete characters didn't make it....okay. This happens in every game, we just usually don't hear about it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
no pit wasnt cut from ssb64. but mewtwo was. there was also someone else that i forgot.
basically if he was supposed to be cut he would appear in melee.
Characters that were planned for Smash 64:

Bowser
Mewtwo
King Dedede

Also, no one has anything to say about my Mewtwo and Roy comment?

Spire

III
BRoomer
No one said anything about this post?

>_>

<_<

Well *I* appreciated it. More or less made the layout of the character roster more clear. I certainly didn't notice the G&W/Mario/Olimar theme (If it's to be believed.)

What about ROB though? He's just kind of hanging out in a weird spot. :laugh:
Thank you JiangWei, I very much appreciated the response. It seems as if the pointless Olimar argument overrode my post (and my comment on Olimar probably did not help, but I had to support the little guy).
Characters that were planned for Smash 64:

Bowser
Mewtwo
King Dedede

Also, no one has anything to say about my Mewtwo and Roy comment?
Probably not. This thread is off track and pointless. What has needed to be said has been said. It'll die real soon.

Oh, and to respond to your post, I don't believe that Roy and Mewtwo would have fit on the roster even without Sonic's inclusion. I support the structure of the roster very much, and believe that Sakurai had its order in mind the whole time.

And for the record, Peach and Pit were planned for SSB64.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Weren't Pit, Balloon Fighter, Snake, and Pokemon Trainer originally planned for Melee?

D

Deleted member

Man.

I don't care that he actually CUT them, I just want to know who it was he did!

Puffs

Smash Ace
Man.

I don't care that he actually CUT them, I just want to know who it was he did!
Probably just the forbidden 7, although i wouldn't like Plusle & Minun, Dr. Mario, and Toon Sheik (Tetra plz)

Top Bottom