• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai and the competitive scene

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
People who are successful in life tend to be very busy.
Except what does it mean to be successful and happy for that matter? It's always been said that money can't buy you happiness.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Except what does it mean to be successful and happy for that matter? It's always been said that money can't buy you happiness.
Money can't buy happiness, but it solves a lot of other problems. Here is what Robert Kiyosaki has to say. From his book "Increase you Financial IQ"
The money problems the poor have:
  1. Not having enough money
  2. Using credit to supplement money shortage
  3. The rising cost of living
  4. Paying more in taxes the more they make
  5. Fear of emergencies
  6. Bad Financial advice
  7. Not enough money for retirement
The money problems of the rich
  1. Having too much money
  2. Needing to keep it safe and invested
  3. Not knowing whether people like them, or their money
  4. Needing smarter financial advice
  5. Raising spoiled kids
  6. Estate and inheritance planning
  7. Excessive government taxes
My poor dad had money problems all his life. Not matter how much he made, his problem was not enough money. My rich dad also had money problems. His problem was too much money. Which money problem do you want?
Basically, you can never escape the need of money. Better to have problems of too much money than too little.

Bro, competitive gamers have their competitive phases in the prime years of their youth: when they're NOT trying to become accountants or lawyers.
Not necessarily. Mew2King is 24. I'm 24 and I'm working on a CPA and a joint venture to buy real estate. Also, billionaires like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were about that age when they started if not younger. Joe Kennedy was a bank president at 25 I believe.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
It is actually kind of important. People who are successful in life tend to be very busy... This is also why accessible games do better. If you don't have much time to play video games, you will gravitate to those that are easy to play. This is why World of Warcraft is successful. It was built to not be as demanding as other MMO. Smash, likewise, is designed to be less demanding than other fighting games..
There you go again using games that completely contradict your point. WOW and other MMOs largely depend on maintaining a high level of frequent players to keep their business model working. Naturally, a fair amount of depth and evolving strategy is necessary to keep players paying for months if not years on end.

I'm not a WOW player, so I can't speak for its end game, but I imagine the difficulty curve ramps up considerably when you progress to areas that require a higher level of planning, macro, and skillful coordination. WOW may be an easy game to pick up (idk), but I highly doubt it is immediately accessible at all levels of play.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Ahem.

This may sound harsh, but if I could erase any game from history, it would be melee.The only really competitive one.it has honest to god torn holes in the community.ugh...

On the subject!

Competitive players think they are having fun, but what is victory? I feel little joy in winning.i used to be competitive and winning was what counted.The joy should come from what you learn in each match that helps advance your strategy, not something superficial like watching a winner screen. Casuals like winning, but its about the journey, not the destination.winning means NOTHING to most.Losing makes you feel bad, but you still had fun doing it. Cometitives want wins, which gets old fast....

El Duderino

Smash Ace
All smash games are competitive multiplayer games. Doesn't matter if you play it as a party game or a tournament fighter. We just compete at different levels. Winning or loosing means virtually the same thing to all of us.

Why is something so simple so difficult for some people to understand?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I like to play Smash Bros., hi, how are you.

I guess I'll never understand bickering about the game (perhaps bickering is too harsh a word). I mean, I'd be blind not to see the conflicts and the reasons for them, but I just have more interest in taking what I get and enjoying it as best I can. I guess I'm just too easygoing to get up in arms about stuff like this.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Competitive players think they are having fun, but what is victory? I feel little joy in winning.i used to be competitive and winning was what counted.The joy should come from what you learn in each match that helps advance your strategy, not something superficial like watching a winner screen. Casuals like winning, but its about the journey, not the destination.winning means NOTHING to most.Losing makes you feel bad, but you still had fun doing it. Cometitives want wins, which gets old fast....
Everyone misunderstands what competitives are all about. I suppose I can't blame you guys, but I want to put things into perspective.

I started playing Melee competitively about a year ago. I got better than all my friends, learned all them advanced techniques, etc.
I played against another competitive player one or two months after I learned all my advanced techs.

I had never lost so hard in my life.

See, you guys all think competitives are only in it to win and only win. If that were true, there'd be none of us left. Everyone who starts off in the competitive community is a loser. They will get beaten down by countless players who are all better than them. They will realize very quickly that not only are they NOT the best player ever, they aren't even remotely close to adept in the game. All competitive players start earning their wins after they've played with the best, learned from the best, and work towards overcoming the best.

So if you really wanna know why competitives like winning so much, well, it's exactly as you described it except on a much grander scale. It's about learning from your losses, feeling proud about your wins, and playing your way to being the best. It's more fun than you can possibly imagine.

Also, one of the small things about competitive smash I really like is that it's offline. Can't ****-talk so much when the other guy is within punching range of you =]

Signia

Smash Lord
Responding to my sarcastic response with more sarcasm. Commendable.
LOL I'm sorry, what's wrong with this?

Look, I couldn't care less about your opinions, they won't change my points of view.
Why won't they? Are they wrong? If so, how? Or, do you simply close your mind to opposing opinions?
I just post mine and leave it at that.
Uhh ok yeah I don't you think you do.

I know I sounded harsh, but I can be a little aggressive when defending my opinions.
Looks like you do care D:

In that post you mentioned, I was just using a sarcastic and condescending tone to make fun of some elitist people that whine about everything and discuss games like it's serious business, usually insulting others that have differing opinions or that like other games. It's pitiful, childish and downright stupid.

Seriously, whining about something just because it doesn't fit your liking is childish behavior at its best.
A "whine" is a distressed cry, usually used describing the tone of someone asking someone to change someone's behavior. All I've done is expose contradictions in what you're trying to represent to me and what you've represented other places. I haven't represented a crying tone, I used sarcasm and contemptuously laughing emoticons. You're just characterizing it as "whining" to make yourself seem somehow less weak. Are you confusing me with someone else?

This literally all I've said to you:
Lol, what is this "fundamentalism" you speak of? 1552 posts on this forum? How wretched are you to take this forum seriously! Whoa damn, our whole species insane? Too real man, too real.
You never did tell me what you meant by fundamentalism. That word has been used in the past to mean many different things, and I wanted you to clarify before telling you how vapid you are for thinking competitive or elitist attitudes are like religious doctrine or whatever the **** you meant.

Actually no, I was just having some fun with your obvious false profundity and hypocrisy about taking something seriously. I guess in order for you to interpret that as rage you must have felt really hurt by that, since only someone who was enraged would hurt you that bad. Sorry D:

Now go back to doing important non-trivial things like counting to 200 bob-ombs on smashboards XD
Just commentary on your ridiculous notion of "importance" given your other activities, and called this: "To think that people take trivial things such as video games or sports so seriously... a sane person must wonder what kind of wretched species we are. Oh well." just false profundity... meaninglessness masquerading as meaning. "Wretched species," Lol, compared to what, monkeys? Your fantasy of what a human is?

You call this whining? Childish? Whatever bro I'm not the one spending his time posting in threads like "count to 200 bob-ombs" :/ Pitiful? Your facade of being interested in discussion for only "important" things is pitiful. You don't dislike the discussion because it's trivial, you probably dislike it because of your inability to understand the discussion.

Look, I couldn't care less about your opinions, they won't change my points of view.
Or maybe because you just won't entertain different points of view. Idk

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
SmashChu comes onto a site primarily designed for discussion of competitive and recreational Smash and proceeds to berate competitive players at every swish of a clock pendulum. His behavior should not be supported and feeding fuel to his asinine ideals will only serve to further his means. Arguing with SmashChu is a zero-sum game where the end result is everyone being more bitter and SmashChu ignoring everything remotely relevant to discussion so he can contort the conversation to his dictation, then leaving once all parties involved are properly pissed at his obnoxious behavior. He is the epitome of genuine disdain turned into petty trolling. Put SmashChu on your ignore lists and be done with it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh hi Toise!! Haven't seen you in a while! :D :D :D

It is actually kind of important. People who are successful in life tend to be very busy. Accountants and Lawyers work a ton. People who want to increase their wealth work very hard to do this. Most people don't have time to sit there and learn a video game. They don't have the time to become like our competitive gaming friends and practice a video game. Basically, if you have the time to go to tournaments and try to get good at a game, you likely aren't successful. "Playing well at a game shows a life wasted."

This is also why accessible games do better. If you don't have much time to play video games, you will gravitate to those that are easy to play. This is why World of Warcraft is successful. It was built to not be as demanding as other MMO. Smash, likewise, is designed to be less demanding than other fighting games.
I can't accept this. Starting off, it's totally subjective what 'successful in life' means. You can't just slap it on a doctor or a lawyer because those are traditionally accepted roles. I'd argue that being successful means putting in work to your career, whatever it may be. Some could even argue that it's so much as being happy. The statistics are wishy washy but i'm pretty happy with my lifestyle and i'm... not actually that rich (by which I mean, our family has been in budget crisis several times and I honestly feel bad for asking for too much of something because of the cumulative stress I might be putting on the budget, etc. I'm not too badly off but it's nothing incredible. Point being, you can't judge someone's success based on whether they're in to competitive gaming. KL has a point: Why would you bag it out if you've been here for 10 years? I'm just sayin'...

Also, even if your definition of successful was true (and for argument's sake we're going to use those two examples but in reality it doesn't matter all that much), being successful DOES apply to anything and everything. Again, this relates to slapping it on a commonly well known and 'respected' career but I think that's pretty... well, yeah... :/

I dunno, i guess.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wasn't responding at you. Did you see your name somewhere in my posts? I think not.

Besides, using the claim that I waste time in Forum Games hardly helps your argument. I just happen to pass by whenever I am online here on SWF (and how much time does that take? Two seconds? Oh, such a waste of time!).

When I mentioned whining, I wasn't referring to you specifically, rather at those who bash games for not suiting his tastes. Very much like the OP saying that Sakurai should do this and that, because he wants the game as he sees as ideal.
Regarding this subject, I've said in this thread before, but I will say it again: don't like the game, then don't play it. Simple as that.

What I meant with "trivialities" has nothing to do with competitive gaming, but with these Melee vs. Brawl debates that accomplish nothing.
It's not like we can make Sakurai do things our own way, so why bother in the first place?

Triviality is not discussing strategy in a game: triviality is arguing over which game is better when most of the times, it's something subjective, as you either like the game or not. There's nothing you can accomplish with discussing tastes. You can't make another person like a game.
Analogy: person A likes to eat apples but doesn't like bananas, but person B hates apples and prefers bananas. Both start to argue about which fruit is better. See how ridiculous this sounds? It's the same as arguing over which game is better.

All the whole talk about humans being a wretched species was an exaggeration for calling stupid to people who:
  • Bash Brawl for not being Melee. Both are different games and must be treated as such.
  • Bash Melee because "it's too competitive and Brawl is better." Same reason as above.
  • Overall don't accept the others' preferences. This is childish behavior, much like those console wars between Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft fanboys.
All those Melee vs. Brawl debates wouldn't exist if people who like Melee simply played Melee and people who like Brawl simply play Brawl. I can't see how simpler can this question be resolved. I just can't.

And with all this talk the social aspect of gaming, I bring the question: shouldn't a community be united and tolerant towards each another? Because it hardly seems the case with the Smash community, with all those Melee vs. Brawl debates happening since 2008.

People should simply shut up and play the game they want to, instead of coming here and shoving their preferences down the others' throats. It's not going to change anything and will only cause these senseless flame wars.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It'd be nice frostwraith... but the simple fact is that some don't see it that way. Debates on this kind of stuff always has happened and probably always will.

Something around the time you arrived, actually a little bit after, was I got incredibly frustrated about this myself. I was so frustrated I made a long, ranting blog post about my annoyance from it and why people couldn't just accept it before I went to bed that night.

Can you guess what happened? The thread was locked by the next time I checked it (the next day). It had turned in to the very thing it was criticizing: A melee vs. Brawl debate and thus was closed.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, arguments like this will always spring up but i'm afraid that there really is nothing we can do about it, the only way to content ourselves being the fact that arguments such as these exist in any gaming community.

Arguing over silly things is part of human nature. It seems silly if you take a step back but honestly, this is one of those things we can't take the high road on because we just end up making hypocrites of ourselves. It's so easy to get in to these arguments and they last forever. I don't know how many times i've gotten upset over the fact that my brother, as a general rule, dislikes dogs and isn't afraid to show it.

So... I know you're annoyed but, trust me when I say, people will be people. We just can't stop it. But know that you're not the only one who'd like to see and end to that stuff.

Also note that melee vs. brawl was actually comparatively a light subject in this thread compared to others haha, i'm scared to see what you'd do in a thread like this:

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/whats-the-deal.329285/

(that happens to be the blog post I made ages ago. Just look at how it goes wrong lol. :p Some of those posts really angered me, so if you look at that, you'll see this thread... really isn't too bad in that regard, bro. :) )

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It'd be nice frostwraith... but the simple fact is that some don't see it that way. Debates on this kind of stuff always has happened and probably always will.

Something around the time you arrived, actually a little bit after, was I got incredibly frustrated about this myself. I was so frustrated I made a long, ranting blog post about my annoyance from it and why people couldn't just accept it before I went to bed that night.

Can you guess what happened? The thread was locked by the next time I checked it (the next day). It had turned in to the very thing it was criticizing: A melee vs. Brawl debate and thus was closed.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, arguments like this will always spring up but i'm afraid that there really is nothing we can do about it, the only way to content ourselves being the fact that arguments such as these exist in any gaming community.

Arguing over silly things is part of human nature. It seems silly if you take a step back but honestly, this is one of those things we can't take the high road on because we just end up making hypocrites of ourselves. It's so easy to get in to these arguments and they last forever. I don't know how many times i've gotten upset over the fact that my brother, as a general rule, dislikes dogs and isn't afraid to show it.

So... I know you're annoyed but, trust me when I say, people will be people. We just can't stop it. But know that you're not the only one who'd like to see and end to that stuff.

Also note that melee vs. brawl was actually comparatively a light subject in this thread compared to others haha, i'm scared to see what you'd do in a thread like this:

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/whats-the-deal.329285/

(that happens to be the blog post I made ages ago. Just look at how it goes wrong lol. :p Some of those posts really angered me, so if you look at that, you'll see this thread... really isn't too bad in that regard, bro. :) )
Clicking that like made me lose more faith in humanity. >_>

But, it's still stupid arguing over which game is better than the other. It's something subjective and everyone has different tastes.

Whenever I don't like to do something, I simply don't do it, unless I have to do it for whatever reason. I'm not going to start pitiful arguments just because I don't like something. It's a childish behavior, it's stupid and leads nowhere. So, I question: why bother in the first place?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm still floored by the implication that successful lawyers and doctors play anything more complex than Angry Birds.

volbound1700

Smash Master
SmashChu,

That reminds me of a teacher I once had in school that said if you are winning in video games, you are usually losing in real life. Unfortunately competition is in every fascet of life. Education, Work, Sports, and even video games.

Guys by their nature are competitive. A typical boy conversation: "I can run faster than you." "Uh uh." "Yes" "Well let's race." "I beat you!" "I didn't try, let's do it again!" "Beat you again!" "Well I can run faster over a long distance than you." .... It keeps going. See my point.

There is no way you can or should take competition out of a fighting game.

link2702

Smash Champion
SmashChu,

That reminds me of a teacher I once had in school that said if you are winning in video games, you are usually losing in real life. Unfortunately competition is in every fascet of life. Education, Work, Sports, and even video games.

Guys humans by their nature are competitive...

fixed it for ya, technically humans by our very nature, regardless of gender, are competitive to some degree.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone! I'm your typical nintendrone, and as your typical nintendrone I'm going to gauge how fun and well-made a game is by calculating its sales and how much money it made Nintendo!

I also don't know **** about competitive gaming but here I go woowoowoo

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There you go again using games that completely contradict your point. WOW and other MMOs largely depend on maintaining a high level of frequent players to keep their business model working. Naturally, a fair amount of depth and evolving strategy is necessary to keep players paying for months if not years on end.

I'm not a WOW player, so I can't speak for its end game, but I imagine the difficulty curve ramps up considerably when you progress to areas that require a higher level of planning, macro, and skillful coordination. WOW may be an easy game to pick up (idk), but I highly doubt it is immediately accessible at all levels of play.
Your wrong. WoW was designed to not be invasive in one's life. This is why you have rested exp and bonus experience when a friend joins, among other things. It was more open than other MMOs which is why it succeeded. Making a game for diehard players makes it closed off to the general populous. Fighting games are the same way. The Smash came in and it was more open. WoW is becoming more geared towards hardcore players after Cataclysm. It is declining and rotting. Smash has been successful because it did not cater to hardcore players but to everyone. Making Smash more competitive would do the same thing and the series would see the same results.

Basically, make games for normal people and you see far better results.

SmashChu,

Guys by their nature are competitive. A typical boy conversation: "I can run faster than you." "Uh uh." "Yes" "Well let's race." "I beat you!" "I didn't try, let's do it again!" "Beat you again!" "Well I can run faster over a long distance than you." .... It keeps going. See my point.

Competition is fine, but not competition for competition's sake. Hardcore players are playing for winning's sake, not to enjoy themselves. Games are meant to be played for fun and enjoyment, not as an outlet for winning (which is usually because they can't win in the real world). A lot of the people here want it to be a competition outlet. Most people want Smash and their games to be fun experiences that they can come to after a hard day of work. Games should be designed for the latter as those designed for the former will fail.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I already said all I had to say here, but I get the feeling this will escalate... I'll be watching silently. :evil:

The flame war in that Speculation Chart thread and this one... both put up quite a show...

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's mindset is far too competitive. SSB needs to go casual!
In SSB4 all attacks should be replaced by taunts (everbody likes to taunt party, except those who want to win at smash because they can't win in the real world!), controlled by shaking the wiimote or pressing random buttons on the pad. Of course the winner will be decided randomly, so that nobody feels bad for losing.

50 million sales right here! IGN: "decent game, 11/10"

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Smashchu will be a very successful person in the future.

He listens to what he wants to hear and answers only what he wants to answer.
Forget about broadening your horizons or actually thinking about the opinions of the people who contradict you.

I sincerely believe he will lead a happy life. How can you not, if you just deny anything that doesn't sit right with you?

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Your wrong. WoW was designed to not be invasive in one's life. This is why you have rested exp and bonus experience when a friend joins, among other things. It was more open than other MMOs which is why it succeeded. Making a game for diehard players makes it closed off to the general populous.
Blizzard's whole design philosophy is depth first, accessibility second. I'd say they have a pretty successful formula, wouldn't you?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
English is my first language.

Also, hey Toise.

What up. Yeah, I feel like you answered this before, and I hated asking, but I like to read your posts in an accent with all the spelling errors. Just part of your charm, yo.

Aside from shooting down Chu on whatever bungled point he makes, I honestly have no idea what people are trying to prove in this thread. Also everyone on this site is super slow when it comes to relevant poop.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That makes me giggle so much.

Perhaps a character that stands still for too long will be forced into a YAWNING animation, making them vulnerable.

Also it makes me think of all those competitive players who say "the game is designed so you can play however you want," which Sakurai apparently agrees with, except he doesn't think the way you play is fun or interesting.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I just want these options to be customizable... =( =( =(

The issue here is, if Sakurai goess too far down this path, Smash 4 might actually go down the hole a bit for casual players. I've heard a lot of casual players complain about tripping... I dunno, I just don't want it to be... you know... unplayable in that regard.

Wow i'm scared. I know I have no control over this but I just wish it would have customizable options... oh please someone let it happen... *shivers*

You know the weird thing though. They treat it like it's 'pros' but it's really just the game advancing over a bunch of years.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What up. Yeah, I feel like you answered this before, and I hated asking, but I like to read your posts in an accent with all the spelling errors. Just part of your charm, yo.

Aside from shooting down Chu on whatever bungled point he makes, I honestly have no idea what people are trying to prove in this thread. Also everyone on this site is super slow when it comes to relevant poop.
So people are complaining about turtling NOW? Well shoot, it's Sakurai's fault for that. It's his fault for making that tactic the best option in the majority of scenarios. All I can say that he needs to balance out offensive and defensive options, but not at a derp level either.

EDIT: After thinking about it more, I realized that he's actually wanting to balance out the options AND it seems like he's more than open to the idea of balance patches - which definitely explains one reason as to why NamDai was chosen. I just hope offense and defense are more dynamic while solid at the same time.

Though he really needs to add a ranking system for the next game. I know he was concerned about not wanting people's fragile little egos crushed (**** them), but it's obvious to him now that it did more damage than good.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Just saw this early this morning. It looks like everyone is already discussing it but I'm not entirely sure. As someone who enjoys playing 1vs1 competitively and casually with any stage and items all over the place all I can say is I do not agree with the following and here comes the melt downs.

Here's how one guy, who wrote in to Brawl producer Masahiro Sakurai, put it: "The other day, I had my first run at Smash Bros. Brawl online play. What I found was that nobody ever went on the attack; it was like everyone was taking the approach of waiting for the other guy to take the offensive. There were no items, either. I wanted to shout at them 'This isn't how you do Smash Bros.'! As the producer, what do you think of fights like this?"

Sakurai — who's still recovering from a repetitive-strain injury to his arm that's keeping him from playing video games for the time being — took time out in his Famitsu column this week to respond. "The idea of Brawl's 'carefree brawling' motto was to get rid of as many restraints as possible and allow people to choose whatever play approach they liked," he wrote. "I'd like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter is not interesting or fun. That's why I'll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game. We've learned a lot about net play since Brawl was released, after all, so a lot more is possible."
Whole thing here.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/13/40...thrilling?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

EDIT
About this statement I realized the kid with the question was talking about Taunt Parties. You know where everyone sits in the corner and taunts the whole match into a draw? What is the point? I ran into that so many times then just stopped playing random people.

Sakurai is actually in the right here talking about how to avoid such stupid things from happening.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lol damn you romance, ninja'd. Still tho it's so silly, sakurai goes to make the game more accessible and ends up making it a unbalanced trash heap. It's his own fault for expecting people to play like Melee in Brawl. I called it MONTHS ago, Sakurai is just gonna casualize smash into the ground until it's no longer the game we know anymore.

Making the call now, smash 4 will be like brawl but with absolutely NO combos, NO safe options and probably FORCED items for the first time.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^2.5/3 of those possibilities are truly bad, sine I argue items can be usable if balanced right.

also the way I read it is moreso that he's looking to make a more dynamic intense feel, thus meaning a more offense-happy game....which is what people kinda want.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lol damn you romance, ninja'd. Still tho it's so silly, sakurai goes to make the game more accessible and ends up making it a unbalanced trash heap. It's his own fault for expecting people to play like Melee in Brawl. I called it MONTHS ago, Sakurai is just gonna casualize smash into the ground until it's no longer the game we know anymore.

Making the call now, smash 4 will be like brawl but with absolutely NO combos, NO safe options and probably FORCED items for the first time.
Aren't you making an overstatement? (o.o)

Though he really needs to add a ranking system for the next game. I know he was concerned about not wanting people's fragile little egos crushed (**** them), but it's obvious to him now that it did more damage than good.
I don't think that will happen, though. I remember that Sakurai said he's against ranking systems.

Smash Bros. Brawl didn't have, neither did Kid Icarus: Uprising. Unless his philosophy has changed, I highly doubt he will put a ranking system in SSB4.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Aren't you making an overstatement? (o.o)

I don't think that will happen, though. I remember that Sakurai said he's against ranking systems.

Smash Bros. Brawl didn't have, neither did Kid Icarus: Uprising. Unless his philosophy has changed, I highly doubt he will put a ranking system in SSB4.
Is it a overstatement to say that after smashboards community members and others were invited to play test brawl and subsequently discovered AT's, those same AT's were removed out of angst against better players? Because that is exactly what happened, sakurai is epitomized in this pic. He wanted to play chess with better player and is essentially flipping the board over because he lost. He's a crybaby, simply put.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
About my last statement I realized the kid with the question was talking about Taunt Parties. You know where everyone sits in the corner and taunts the whole match into a draw? What is the point? I ran into that so many times then just stopped playing random people.

Sakurai is actually in the right here talking about how to avoid such stupid things from happening.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
About my last statement I realized the kid with the question was talking about Taunt Parties. You know where everyone sits in the corner and taunts the whole match into a draw? What is the point? I ran into that so many times then just stopped playing random people.

Sakurai is talking about players playing safe, he expected Melee to happen again with Brawl and failed. Melee= an approaching game, brawl = run to the ledge and wait.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Sakurai is talking about players playing safe, he expected Melee to happen again with Brawl and failed. Melee= an approaching game, brawl = run to the ledge and wait.
I don't think so at all. That is a pretty strong stance for such an ordinary play tactic. The guy with the question in my mind is clearly describing a group of people who taunt or just move the control stick up and down the entire 2 minute match. If you attack one then they all come after you then hide back into their corners. I experienced it many times thinking I was playing bots or something. I'm pretty certain this is what they are referring to. Think about it, there are never any matches when even the most defensive players never attack. It's the strangest phenomenon.

This type of playing has some type of cult following in Japan, has no one else experienced this? It really does ruin the fun.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
That image can be the same for a lot of people in this community...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
That image can be the same for a lot of people in this community...
Very true. I would say this is worse however if only because no one fights period. Still who am I to tell people not to fight in a fighting game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think so at all. That is a pretty strong stance for such an ordinary play tactic. The guy with the question in my mind is clearly describing a group of people who taunt or just move the control stick up and down the entire 2 minute match. If you attack one then they all come after you then hide back into their corners. I experienced it many times thinking I was playing bots or something. I'm pretty certain this is what they are referring to. Think about it, there are never any matches when even the most defensive players never attack. It's the strangest phenomenon.

This type of playing has some type of cult following in Japan, has no one else experienced this? It really does ruin the fun.
Another reason why we need the ability to block certain players from playing against you.

Renji64

Smash Lord
My expectations are low I hope that smash 4 can appeal to both crowds it sucks than competitive players are being put down. I enjoy playing items for fun but when i want to test my skills i play with them off since the n64. Sigh

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't mind. I've gotta admit my faults. Maybe I could make my points more clear.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
So Sakurai went online and complained about "pros" and while playing Brawl complaining about people playing defensively?

I can disagree but understand if Sakurai decides to only cater to casuals and completely kill Smash's skill cap but it looks like he doesn't even get what went right and wrong in the first place. Big ****ing thanks to KI:U for getting my hopes up. **** Sakurai and **** Smash 4.

Top Bottom