• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Balancing

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Because the impressions from the E3 Demo totally weren't that nearly all characters are good except Zelda?

That may be true, but let's face the facts. We wont know the true balance of the game until we've had more than a few days at E3 and 2 days at Best Buy to play it.

I'm just hoping for balance patches. No amount of in-house testing is going to match millions of players playing it online.

That said, the last time Sakurai had "help" with balance (Brawl) we ended up with Meta Knight. Melee wasn't great but at least it didn't have god-tiers.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
That may be true, but let's face the facts. We wont know the true balance of the game until we've had more than a few days at E3 and 2 days at Best Buy to play it.

I'm just hoping for balance patches. No amount of in-house testing is going to match millions of players playing it online.

That said, the last time Sakurai had "help" with balance (Brawl) we ended up with Meta Knight. Melee wasn't great but at least it didn't have god-tiers.
We also won't know the true balance of the game until it's actually finished, let alone having just a few days to play it. I hope the game doesn't require too many patches, I mean I'm excited we have a console and online system that can allow patches now, but I want it to be as balanced and polished from the get-go and not reliant on huge patches.

I'm encouraged by the fact that Sakurai at least acknowledges that Brawl wasn't balanced and is making an effort to fix that, instead of being prideful or stubborn and saying that he can handle it. He's getting more help to balance. Melee was also a smaller roster, so we gotta keep that in mind, but true it didn't have a Meta Knight-like god destroying everyone.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm extremely thankful he has a better , more inclusive additive now, and not a snobby elitist one like he had when making Brawl. A game should support all playstyles - intentionally kicking out players you don't like is just bratty. And it looks like he's starting to remember that.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I remember people saying that her Utilt (which was a good surprise KOer) is much weaker in Smash 4, her Din's Fire, whilst stronger in the sweetspot, does next to nothing with the outer parts of the attack and her Lightning Kicks are now weaker and/or have poorer range (can't quite remember what I read perfectly). Also Zelda's Transform was the best Down Special in the game lol. Sounds like she's nerfed to me.

So who said? ZeRo and many people on the Zelda boards who played the game at Best Buy.
Ahh, gotcha. I played the game but to be fair I never played Zelda too much in Brawl.

Brawl's balance team was over 100 of people. Melee's was 1. This one is 12 which if I'm right is an average balance team. Maybe more.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm not that invested in the whole balancing discussion, but I'll throw in that balancing for FFAs instead of 1v1 matches is stupid given that FFAs boiled down are a series of simultaneous 1v1 matches.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Brawl's balance team was over 100 of people. Melee's was 1. This one is 12 which if I'm right is an average balance team. Maybe more.
Lots of room to mess up with 100 people balancing. 15 players in Melee, 50ish in 4, 1 balancer in Melee, 12 in 4, seems fair enough to me, I think balancing will be much better in Smash 4.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Balancing taking in consideration fre for all is just not ok.

Just balance every char 1v1, and then let free for all be the madness it is supposed to be.

I dont know why free for all, being a "for fun" mode...needs to be balanced for starters.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Lots of room to mess up with 100 people balancing. 15 players in Melee, 50ish in 4, 1 balancer in Melee, 12 in 4, seems fair enough to me, I think balancing will be much better in Smash 4.
I certainly hope so. This may sound elitist, but in the end I don't care about how many people are on the balancing team so long as it's the right people. There are a ton of people who have really funny ideas about game balance, but there are also people who know how to do it well.

And really, balancing 40-50 characters is a pretty daunting task, especially considering the number of 1v1 matchups is n*n where n = the number of characters. So for example, balancing 3 characters is just balancing 9 matchups (3 of them being balanced by virtue of being dittos), but balancing 30 characters is balancing 900 matchups. That's not including all of the FFA possibilities either.

I'm glad he isn't handling it alone, but I still don't think he's bad at it. It's just that balancing a roster like Smash 4's all by yourself would be way too ambitious.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I certainly hope so. This may sound elitist, but in the end I don't care about how many people are on the balancing team so long as it's the right people. There are a ton of people who have really funny ideas about game balance, but there are also people who know how to do it well.

And really, balancing 40-50 characters is a pretty daunting task, especially considering the number of 1v1 matchups is n*n where n = the number of characters. So for example, balancing 3 characters is just balancing 9 matchups (3 of them being balanced by virtue of being dittos), but balancing 30 characters is balancing 900 matchups. That's not including all of the FFA possibilities either.

I'm glad he isn't handling it alone, but I still don't think he's bad at it. It's just that balancing a roster like Smash 4's all by yourself would be way too ambitious.
From what I've seen of their balancing tactics it seems like they are on the right track, sure there are a few things that stick out as iffy but it's not as simple as saying "do that instead," because like you said changing one things alters hundreds of match-ups and sometimes they are gonna have to pick the lesser of two evils and it will be our job as competitive players to make the best of the characters we chose to main. But yeah, glad he has more help than just himself, but is keeping the team small enough to keep the things under control.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I think it's safe to say that the balancing will be at least better than Brawl and Melee as shown by every character (except apparently Zelda but the removal of her down special just means her players need time to adjust) being pretty good. I also need to let this out but... **** YEAH, LINK DOESN'T SUCK.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I worded that poorly. I meant balance is not achievable only getting closer to it is.
Well, I think even this statement is poorly worded. It's too general, and assumes a definition which is not mutual in our understanding the word 'balance'. . . the implications from such, I should say.

I would say 'balance' is not quantitative, mathematical, or empirical at all. Rather, balancing is a qualitative state wherein the advantages of one alternative over another are more highly subject to necessary specification. This implies an ordinal ranking system, where things are 'more' balanced and 'less' balanced, the 'most' balanced thing being that which other things are most often weighed against. Beyond the idea, there is no 'most' balanced game, of course, but to say that something becomes 'balanced' is of dubious nature, subject to the arbitrary estimation of the individual where sufficiently high level of balance is achieved.

Balance in a fighting game starts with this question: What character do I pick to be competitively viable? For the vast majority of fighting games (besides Brawl :troll:) a qualifying question is necessary, who is the opponent picking? What stages are there? The more questions are necessary to arrive at an answer to the first, the GENERALLY more balanced a game is.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Just a note, Brawl had four people balancing, not one-hundred.
Is there an official source for this because I've heard that the team was super small and that made it flawed, then I've heard that it was too big and that made it flawed, I'm pretty sure Sakurai said it was large and that caused mistakes. I just did some quick research but couldn't find the article I thought I had read this.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Read this. http://shoryuken.com/tag/domination-101/
Think about how it pertains to your play. Think about how it applies to your fighting mentality. then think about how balance ties it all together
I don't really like the strawman argument that he starts with. It sounds like he's trying to say that scrubs are the only ones who care about balance. That's wrong on a massive number of levels. Imbalance in the worst case is 'spamming the god-tier character's single move over and over' and no competitive player really wants to play that game. Look at any multiplayer game that has any amount of scene to begin with. Is SF dominated by spammers? Is Smash? Is GG or BB? I don't see a lot of spamming going on in higher levels of play. This also spills into other genres. Is every Chess match the same? Is every M:tG match the same? Not really.

You might say 'well yeah because these games aren't that imbalanced'. Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is 'games that are winnable by invoking the same boring strategy (and anything repeated enough times will get boring) over and over never become super popular', or to put it in fewer words: 'games that are horribly imbalanced are boring'.

For an example, I used to be really in to the Kingdom Hearts TCG, but when I tried to go 'hardcore' for it (there was a comparatively small card pool so it wasn't hard to collect all of them) I realized that the game's meta was completely dominated by 3 or 4 cards, and that these 3-4 cards completely shut down entire deck types and card categories that otherwise would've been awesome, and these cards also had no counter which was why they dominated. The few people who actually kept playing it thought that this was fine, but I did not.

Most notably, Dark Decks (playing as Ansem or Dark Riku as your character card) were completely shut down by Monstro and Stealth Sneak, because Monstro shut down the friend spam that Dark Decks relied upon (you could use Heartless as friends (the game's versions of allies or summoned creatures), while Light decks used Disney and FF characters as friends), and Stealth Sneak was an impassible wall if you didn't have a card like Peter Pan or Hercules, which Dark Decks couldn't have. King Mickey was broken (and this alone would've been okay because it's freaking MICKEY) and you never wanted to not have him in your deck because there was never any situation where he wasn't exactly what you wanted at the time. Oh, and while the game had tons of awesome magic options, someone could simply drop Phil down on the table (Phil prevents the casting of Magic cards) and there would be noting you could do about it.

To put this in Smash terms so we're all on the same page: This would be the same as if there was only one tourney viable stage, and this stage was a solid counterpick stage for over half the cast. Also, everyone gets a special assist trophy or pokeball and they get to pick which pokemon or assist comes out on the fly. Oh, and it's also perfectly possible to ensure that the villain characters will never, ever KO you even if you're at 999% damage. That's... about as close as I can get for an analogy of how bad the balance was.

What's that? You've never heard of a Kingdom Hearts Trading Card Game? Well... now you know why. :p That scene actually didn't grow very much and I'm not even sure if its still around.

Competitive players want and care about balance more than 'scrubs' do. Unless I misunderstand entirely, I thought scrubs just wanted to be able to beat seasoned pros without putting any time or effort into the game. If competitive players didn't care about balance, they wouldn't be making tier lists to begin with. I mean, it's not like the entire competitive scene is trying to force space animals to be top tier in Melee, or is trying to force Meta Knight to dominate Brawl. They're just realistically assessing the balance of the game according to what they know about it, after giving it a lot of study. Being realistic and honest with yourself isn't bad in any way, and doing that much research proves that you do, in fact, care.

I admit that in Smash I'm a casual (I know about ATs but I don't do the tourney scene), I don't have a problem with the existence of tier lists, but I DO think that any character who isn't competitively viable in a multiplayer game is a waste of potential. It just makes sense. I mean, why only have 4 viable characters when you can have 10? 20? Sure some of the characters are going to be weak but you can't really avoid that. Perfect, absolute fairness isn't necessarily going to make or break a game. It's an ideal, but that ideal is secondary to the ideal of 'actually having a fun game to begin with'.

Anyways, the fact that he opens with a condescending straw man argument that is the exact opposite of accurate really makes me wonder if he has anything meaningful to say, but he looks like he might so I guess I'll read on.

Edit: I never would've kept reading if this was just some article I ran across at random, but since it was linked here and somewhat recommended I did read on. He actually says some good stuff but I still don't agree with the opening statement.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I just wanted to post this here.
(Interview from the last E3)

Kotaku: Do you ever talk to the high-level competitive players when you're balancing Smash Bros.?

Sakurai: Mostly I don't incorporate feedback like that. Basically, Smash Bros. is designed to be sort of targeted at the center, intermediate players, and if you think of sort of a skill graph or something where if you're targeting just the peak of that performance level, you're targeting a very small group of people. We wanna avoid a situation where it becomes a game sort of like other competitive fighting games, where it's only apreciated by a very small, passionate group of sort of maniac players. We definitely don't want that sort of situation. It's supposed to be a fun game for a wide variety of people.

But that's not to say that I don't appreciate very high-level competitive play, the type of very refined competitive gameplay that happens in other fighting games. Personally, I have a lot of experience playing in the arcade scene, and personally came out as a champion of a 100-person battle in arcade Street Fighter II.

Kotaku: Recently?

Sakurai: A long, long time ago. So I don't wanna ignore that there's that type of pleasure to be had from the game.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

Kotaku: Do you ever talk to the high-level competitive players when you're balancing Smash Bros.?

Sakurai: Mostly I don't incorporate feedback like that. Basically, Smash Bros. is designed to be sort of targeted at the center, intermediate players, and if you think of sort of a skill graph or something where if you're targeting just the peak of that performance level, you're targeting a very small group of people. We wanna avoid a situation where it becomes a game sort of like other competitive fighting games, where it's only apreciated by a very small, passionate group of sort of maniac players. We definitely don't want that sort of situation. It's supposed to be a fun game for a wide variety of people.

But that's not to say that I don't appreciate very high-level competitive play, the type of very refined competitive gameplay that happens in other fighting games. Personally, I have a lot of experience playing in the arcade scene, and personally came out as a champion of a 100-person battle in arcade Street Fighter II.

Sakurai: A long, long time ago. So I don't wanna ignore that there's that type of pleasure to be had from the game.
Then in that case, he should know firsthand that games like Street Fighter II are appreciated by more than just a small group of maniacs.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk

How recent was that interview? I've seen that quote be used years ago. I think his mindset may have changed with his recent focus on making the came cater to competitive players.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Street Fighter is. But competitive Smash is literally 1% of the fanbase.
The competitive scene is growing rapidly though. With things like the doc and the Melee community being so strong after so many years, a lot of casual players are starting to turn their heads and look at the competitive scene with great interest, and then after something like the Invitational where everyone was watching the pro smashers be supported by Nintendo, I dunno I think Smash 4 will have a great competitive community than any other Smash at launch.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
The competitive scene is growing rapidly though. With things like the doc and the Melee community being so strong after so many years, a lot of casual players are starting to turn their heads and look at the competitive scene with great interest, and then after something like the Invitational where everyone was watching the pro smashers be supported by Nintendo, I dunno I think Smash 4 will have a great competitive community than any other Smash at launch.
The main draw for me is that, before, I never had any real time/energy to spend on Smash since most of my time, energy, and money was going to college (and before that high school). Now I'm graduated and I have time for it.

Even as a casual player, competitive Smash was always interesting to me as a spectator sport.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I don't know, he's still screwing up noticeably in some places. I was told that Zelda, already near rock-bottom of the tier list, was nerfed.
To those who have said this i present to you this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHK4x4qB9ME

My conclusion: I don't think we should write her off just yet, i think as people start relearning her they will discover a more competent fighter than people think

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Then in that case, he should know firsthand that games like Street Fighter II are appreciated by more than just a small group of maniacs.

Not proving any points huehue
Just thought I'd clarify Sakurai's stance a bit clearer

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Last years E3
A lot can change in a year for Nintendo and how Sakurai handles the game. The competitive scene has received a lot of light in the past year and he has acknowledged it and embraced it a lot more in the past year. Not to say that that interview is irrelevant, but it may not be the best representation of how he feels.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
A lot can change in a year for Nintendo and how Sakurai handles the game. The competitive scene has received a lot of light in the past year and he has acknowledged it and embraced it a lot more in the past year. Not to say that that interview is irrelevant, but it may not be the best representation of how he feels.
You're probably right, but I still thought it'd be worth showing as it's possible he's already planned out most of the game by then.
I'm sure that his perspective has changed quite a bit through the months, especially after seeing the Smash Invitational!

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The competitive scene is as big as it's ever been, and is still a measly 1%. Most people still don't even realize that the players at the invitational were known players. Those that do are mostly against competitive play. The only thing I've seen change is the understanding that most stages are basically unplayable.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
I think some pro players could provide useful input, but I don't think the common player is going to do a very good job.

I mean, you wouldn't want the game to be balanced by someone who thinks that some low tier character like Sonic is "too cheap", or that C. Falcon's fspecial and Pit's fspecial are OP, would you? On the other hand, the average player could tell that some of Mewtwo's specials could've used a buff, and that Meta Knight was a bit much.
I don't want the game balanced by players at all. I wouldn't mind balance patches down the road however. Some people on this forum act like balancing a fighting game with 39 characters is an easy task, particularly in a game like Smash that has a ton of variables. You mention meta knight, but it took the smash community a good while to realize just how powerful he was, so I imagine it's much more difficult to have that realization in the middle of development. If there was an opportunity to patch the game, Sakurai may have chosen to do so. Hopefully that happens with the new game. But there is no such thing as a perfectly balanced fighting game. Smash is no different.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
The competitive scene is as big as it's ever been, and is still a measly 1%. Most people still don't even realize that the players at the invitational were known players. Those that do are mostly against competitive play. The only thing I've seen change is the understanding that most stages are basically unplayable.
Is there a place where you get that "1%" statistic or is that just a guess? Seems like an incredibly low exaggeration.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Is there a place where you get that "1%" statistic or is that just a guess? Seems like an incredibly low exaggeration.
It's an overestimate, actually. If everybody on Smashboards owned a copy of Brawl, then that'd be 1% of it's US sales. Basically any competitive player in the US has a Smashboards account, so I'm not missing a significant amount. But not everybody here is competitive, and other regions have much less competitive players from my understanding.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like the strawman argument that he starts with. It sounds like he's trying to say that scrubs are the only ones who care about balance. That's wrong on a massive number of levels. Imbalance in the worst case is 'spamming the god-tier character's single move over and over' and no competitive player really wants to play that game. Look at any multiplayer game that has any amount of scene to begin with. Is SF dominated by spammers? Is Smash? Is GG or BB? I don't see a lot of spamming going on in higher levels of play. This also spills into other genres. Is every Chess match the same? Is every M:tG match the same? Not really.

You might say 'well yeah because these games aren't that imbalanced'. Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is 'games that are winnable by invoking the same boring strategy (and anything repeated enough times will get boring) over and over never become super popular', or to put it in fewer words: 'games that are horribly imbalanced are boring'.

For an example, I used to be really in to the Kingdom Hearts TCG, but when I tried to go 'hardcore' for it (there was a comparatively small card pool so it wasn't hard to collect all of them) I realized that the game's meta was completely dominated by 3 or 4 cards, and that these 3-4 cards completely shut down entire deck types and card categories that otherwise would've been awesome, and these cards also had no counter which was why they dominated. The few people who actually kept playing it thought that this was fine, but I did not.

Most notably, Dark Decks (playing as Ansem or Dark Riku as your character card) were completely shut down by Monstro and Stealth Sneak, because Monstro shut down the friend spam that Dark Decks relied upon (you could use Heartless as friends (the game's versions of allies or summoned creatures), while Light decks used Disney and FF characters as friends), and Stealth Sneak was an impassible wall if you didn't have a card like Peter Pan or Hercules, which Dark Decks couldn't have. King Mickey was broken (and this alone would've been okay because it's freaking MICKEY) and you never wanted to not have him in your deck because there was never any situation where he wasn't exactly what you wanted at the time. Oh, and while the game had tons of awesome magic options, someone could simply drop Phil down on the table (Phil prevents the casting of Magic cards) and there would be noting you could do about it.

To put this in Smash terms so we're all on the same page: This would be the same as if there was only one tourney viable stage, and this stage was a solid counterpick stage for over half the cast. Also, everyone gets a special assist trophy or pokeball and they get to pick which pokemon or assist comes out on the fly. Oh, and it's also perfectly possible to ensure that the villain characters will never, ever KO you even if you're at 999% damage. That's... about as close as I can get for an analogy of how bad the balance was.

What's that? You've never heard of a Kingdom Hearts Trading Card Game? Well... now you know why. :p That scene actually didn't grow very much and I'm not even sure if its still around.

Competitive players want and care about balance more than 'scrubs' do. Unless I misunderstand entirely, I thought scrubs just wanted to be able to beat seasoned pros without putting any time or effort into the game. If competitive players didn't care about balance, they wouldn't be making tier lists to begin with. I mean, it's not like the entire competitive scene is trying to force space animals to be top tier in Melee, or is trying to force Meta Knight to dominate Brawl. They're just realistically assessing the balance of the game according to what they know about it, after giving it a lot of study. Being realistic and honest with yourself isn't bad in any way, and doing that much research proves that you do, in fact, care.

I admit that in Smash I'm a casual (I know about ATs but I don't do the tourney scene), I don't have a problem with the existence of tier lists, but I DO think that any character who isn't competitively viable in a multiplayer game is a waste of potential. It just makes sense. I mean, why only have 4 viable characters when you can have 10? 20? Sure some of the characters are going to be weak but you can't really avoid that. Perfect, absolute fairness isn't necessarily going to make or break a game. It's an ideal, but that ideal is secondary to the ideal of 'actually having a fun game to begin with'.

Anyways, the fact that he opens with a condescending straw man argument that is the exact opposite of accurate really makes me wonder if he has anything meaningful to say, but he looks like he might so I guess I'll read on.

Edit: I never would've kept reading if this was just some article I ran across at random, but since it was linked here and somewhat recommended I did read on. He actually says some good stuff but I still don't agree with the opening statement.

I suggest reading Sirlin's PTW. I think you misunderstand the use of scrub here. A scrub is someone who doesn't do what it takes to win. For example, I know people who don't edge guard in smash because it's unfair. I know people who don't wave dash because they think it is unfair. Or spam projectiles. Or push their enemies into corners. Or throw (because hitting someone while their blocking is unfair.)

These are scrubs. They feel these tactics are too dishonorable to use. They use phrases like "unbalanced" "not fair" "honor" etc to justify them not playing to win. These are the people that he is referring to. The common phrases they use that we've all heard hundreds of times over are all vague. Look again at what the author wrote.
One of the historically biggest complaints about Capcom games is that theyre “unbalanced”. Though the term is unhelpfully vague (as, youll notice, are most of the terms popular with scrubs and whiners), I think its basically meant as a complaint about how some characters seem so much better than others- a certain character is “overpowered”. And being overpowered leads to a game being unbalanced. Or something like that.
He's saying complaints from scrubs are vague. They usually use "balance," "fairness," or "honor," as their complaint and he explores what that really entails. All that being said, I think you were insulted as a casual player and that is just not the case. Scrubs can be casual players, but not all casual players are scrubs.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I suggest reading Sirlin's PTW. I think you misunderstand the use of scrub here. A scrub is someone who doesn't do what it takes to win. For example, I know people who don't edge guard in smash because it's unfair. I know people who don't wave dash because they think it is unfair. Or spam projectiles. Or push their enemies into corners. Or throw (because hitting someone while their blocking is unfair.)

These are scrubs. They feel these tactics are too dishonorable to use. They use phrases like "unbalanced" "not fair" "honor" etc to justify them not playing to win. These are the people that he is referring to. The common phrases they use that we've all heard hundreds of times over are all vague. Look again at what the author wrote.

He's saying complaints from scrubs are vague. They usually use "balance," "fairness," or "honor," as their complaint and he explores what that really entails. All that being said, I think you were insulted as a casual player and that is just not the case. Scrubs can be casual players, but not all casual players are scrubs.
I actually read Sirlin's Playing To Win a long time ago. That series of articles (now a book) is part of why I can even understand (parts of) the competitive community to begin with. Before that, the "competitve scene" to me was just some mysterious far-off thing that I had no real attachment to and, while they could probably hand my ass to me, I didn't care because I was likely to never face a pro in my entire life.

According to Sirlin, as I understand it, a scrub is someone who (to paraphrase) (A) isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is, (B) can't beat a pro player, but unfailingly thinks he can (C) once beaten by the pro player, makes up vague excuses such as "honor" or "cheapness" to downplay the pro's success and protect his own ego, and (D) generally never tries to improve and get better. I can see why someone like that would complain about balance, even if I think it's pretty low to **** all over people who play the game more intensely, but that's not exactly what I was responding to.

First off, I'd like to clarify that I was only responding to the "Prelude to a Diss" part, and not any other particular part of any other article (and yes, I read all of the Domination 101 parts and the Armchair Street Fighter part, I just don't think they warrant a response). The article seemed to directly state that "scrubs care about balance more than anyone else". Let's use Sirlin as an example as to why this is wrong. The guy balances games for a living. IIRC, he did some serious work on Puzzle Fighter and also did work on an HD remix of... was it SF2? I think it was. He's also working on Yomi, Puzzle Strike, Codex, and seriously wants to get a Fantasy Strike video game at some point in the future. The guy is really hardcore about balanced gameplay, and anyone who frequents his site can see that. Compare that to myself (I don't consider myself a scrub, just a casual, but it's the closest actual non-strawman example I can come up with) who simply looks at a tier list (that I didn't even work one iota on) and shrugs before going back to playing however I feel like at the moment.

Between the two of us, who do you think cares more about balance? Sirlin, the pro who devotes his life to it, or myself, the casual who... well... doesn't? And yet, I wouldn't call Sirlin a scrub by any stretch of the word, nor would I be tempted to think that his goal of a balanced game is somehow "wrong" or "misguided".

I feel like a lot of people like these articles not because the arguments are well-constructed but because they say things you already feel (or know) are true. As someone from the outside looking in, I see an argument like this and it doesn't convince me at all. Is it true? Is it not true? I don't know because I'm an outsider, but I can freely dismiss it because the arguments are not sound. There are really only three ways to prove something: By experiment/example (Yes, I can follow up an fsmash with a sh fair because I'm doing it right now), by logical inference from already proven facts (Since I can follow up fsmash with sh fair, and I can follow up a fair with uair, then fmsash->sh fair->uair is probably a valid combo string), or by process of elimination (This guy only picks 3 stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, and Fountain of Dreams. FD and BF have both been banned, so he's likely to pick Fountain). He didn't do any of those. He made several assertions that weren't backed up by exact quotes or solid facts (if you don't do this, there's a high chance for subjectivity to slip into your argument and corrupt/invalidate the whole thing), and since he had no solid facts to start with (aside from things that competitive players would know about and casual players wouldn't) then he had nothing to base any inferences or deductions on.

Now you might be thinking "Well the article wasn't aimed at you", to which I can say "The article was clearly aimed at scrubs with the intention of trying to convince them to not be scrubs". Since the arguments are weak, it actually fails at what it's trying to do: be convincing.

If I go to a tournament and see exactly the same stuff he's talking about, then I'll be convinced. Not by him, though. My own experience would be the deciding factor. To use an analogy, if I told you a certain technique was cheap, broken, and easily abused, yet couldn't execute it at the precision required to actually be cheap/abusive with it, then you'd have to be pretty foolish to just take my word for it. On the other hand, if you actually mastered the technique and then proceeded to easymode 4stock top players who were competing for $1000 prize, then that would actually go along way to prove my point. I was right, but that doesn't make me convincing, and you as the one who is 'undecided' have no obligation to believe me regardless of whether or not I eventually turn out to be right. Similarly, I have very little obligation to believe the article unless my own experience (or another more convincing source of information) says otherwise.

tl;dr: It's not a matter of how insulting or offensive he was, it was the weakness (and logical fallacy) of his arguments. I tore it apart the same way I'd tear apart anything else that was unconvincing, as I have done before. Nothing personal against the guy, or against anyone else who actually agrees (from experience) with what he's saying, and it certainly wasn't taken personally by me.

That said, I've spent the past few years of my life listening to "what is or is not a solid argument or solid logic" by professors who would fail my ass out in a heartbeat if I didn't get it right, so maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe my standards are a bit too high for an 11 year old article that was likely meant half as a "guide on how to get better" and half as an angry response to random idiots who show up around pro players and insult them for selfish, pointless reasons. Maybe what he's saying is actually true, regardless of the strength of his logic. Still, I can't help but raise my eyebrow at some of the statements made here, but again it's not because I feel personally attacked but because I feel like there's a solid chance I'm being lied to, intentionally or not.

Anyways, I feel like I'm derailing the thread, so if I don't respond it's nothing personal, I just don't feel like derailing further.

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
It's an overestimate, actually. If everybody on Smashboards owned a copy of Brawl, then that'd be 1% of it's US sales. Basically any competitive player in the US has a Smashboards account, so I'm not missing a significant amount. But not everybody here is competitive, and other regions have much less competitive players from my understanding.
I'm sure if you factor in the amount of people who play competitively, the ones who eventually want to but haven't really dove in yet, the people who like to watch competitive play but don't participate, and the people who don't mind the game being competitive but still play casually, then you will probably get a percentage much higher than 1%. The way you put it just makes it seem as if the other 99% hate competitive play making it obsolete when that probably is nowhere near the case.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I'm sure if you factor in the amount of people who play competitively, the ones who eventually want to but haven't really dove in yet, the people who like to watch competitive play but don't participate, and the people who don't mind the game being competitive but still play casually, then you will probably get a percentage much higher than 1%. The way you put it just makes it seem as if the other 99% hate competitive play making it obsolete when that probably is nowhere near the case.
The other 99% don't hate competitive play they just don't care about it. Even if is higher then 1% it probably isn't by much at all.

Top Bottom