• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

burrito

Smash Lord
Vulpine51 said:
I dont see why ICs would be taken out. They are a totally original characters. The clones have much more to worry about.
Yeah guys. Stop worrying about those characters. I'm sure he'll just be removing clones. He's definitely not removing G&W, since he is a big part of Nintendo's history and has a creative moveset. It will probably only be like 2-3 characters, anyways.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
"By the way, thanks a lot SamuraiPanda for translating this. Has Sakurai said anything else interesting?"

Thank you, and no, nothing that isn't already in English ^_^

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
I think the clones are the only ones in fear of being "axed" It would be a much smarter idea that instead of removing the low-tier characters like Mewtwo and Gay man watch Mr. Game and Watch they make them... you know... not suck. The post said that characters are going to be edited, so this makes more sense to me.

Although axing any characters just seems like a giant waste to me. They already have the models/moves/coding done for them, if anything they could just 'port a couple that they'd remove otherwise without changes. I mean, why not? Why risk getting your fans upset at their favourite character gone and just add them regardless? It's not like anyone would REALLY notice if Pichu didn't get a graphics update.

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
I highly doubt any of the characters with origional movesets will be axed. So like some have said, it will probably be some of the clones.

And BTW, G&W doesn't suck if you know how to use him.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yes, they already have all the characters done in Melee, but Sakurai said they wanted to edit ALL of the characters from scratch:

Sakurai said:
But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade.
If characters are, on a significant scale, being remade, that's practically the equivalent of completely making the character over again, IF that's not exactly what they're doing. So whether or not all the characters are completed in Melee is irrelevent.

And SamuraiPanda, I'd also like to give a big thank you from the staff of this site. We have some Japanese users and users from other countries on our forum, but most of our users are American. If it's not to much to ask, if Sakurai posts anything else that might be of interest (which is pretty much anything :p), could you post it here too? :)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
No problem at all. I don't have alot of time on my hands though. Gonna go to an anime con this week, and that means Im gonna have to study my *** off for my biochem test the friday after next. Spring semester sucks (and I should be studying right now...)

But never fear, I'll keep my eyes open for anything you guys will wanna hear.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I should give my thanks too. I would have never been able to translate this as well as you have. You did a great job.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Oh dear...Well I don't like all the characters but I still don't like the idea of taking away some characters...Oh well...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
If character space is as limited as Sakurai is saying, why in the world would you possibly want Raichu in the game? He's just another clone.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Yeah, I can see characters being completey redone as well.
Perhaps Pichu will be replaced with Torchic?
Mewtwo will be better?
Ganon with a sword? etc....

But the idea that characters will be REMOVED bothers me.
I suggest they just eliminate all of the trophies, they do nothing but gobble up information on the disc. But you'd think there would be enough information on the Wii discs to handle the clone characters along with the other 30 or so.

Its just a shame cause... this may sound silly.... but the whole cast of smash is like a family. And family is something you shouldn't get rid of, its just like losing a loved one, the idea is just hard to bear with.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
McFox said:
If character space is as limited as Sakurai is saying, why in the world would you possibly want Raichu in the game? He's just another clone.
Maybe I read it wrong, but where did it say character space was limited? It sounded more like resources were limited (time primarily). Is that what you meant?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I don't know why so many people are posting that Mewtwo should be removed. True, he's not really that good in Melee, but with the proper overhaul (which Sakurai has said that they're giving all of the returning characters), he has the potential to be a great character.

*EDIT*

ilabb said:
Maybe I read it wrong, but where did it say character space was limited? It sounded more like resources were limited (time primarily). Is that what you meant?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
McFox said:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Ah, gotcha. :D I asked because people actually think that disk space will be an issue... which is pretty much impossible considering how much of an upgrade we're getting with the game medium (mini disks to dual-layer DVDs?).

Sakurai knows that people look for how many playable characters and stages, so it's likely that he won't dissapoint. Pretty much, I don't see more than two being removed, IMO.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
As far as overhauling goes. I will be upset if they give Fox the "complete overhaul." I wouldnt mind some new moves, but hopefully they keep him the quick, fastfalling character that he is. Im in a good place with the character i got. I dont feel like adjusting my game too much.

Mabe other people can relate with me on this when it comes to their mains?

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
I decided to post the raw Japanese at a popular forum for some Japanese speakers to translate as well, and with such an ambigious language like Japanese, it's good to get a few different translations just to make sure (this is, after all, the language that doesn't care for pronouns >.>).

http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?&p=3938673

There are two translations there, and all three translations that we have all phrase it differently. No disrespect to SamuraiPanda, but I'm sure he knows how God-forsaken that language can be when translating, and it's always good to have multiple sources.

Forastero

Smash Rookie
I hope and pray that they dont take out Falco. He was a clone but a good clone, I mean come on he is Upper tier! I dont even care if they dont improve him, just please let him in.

Dustin never stops

Smash Rookie
concerning changing characters....

I for one completely look forward to it! learning how to play a familiar character all over again honestly sounds fun. From what I read it sounds like there opening up air combat and putting more emphasis on it. This doesn't sound like a specific character change, but rather a tune up in overall game mechanics. Which is awesome! but it will most likely cause a complete change in strategy, and for me ideally most smashers will have to start from square 1 in learning the game.

Impp

Smash Ace
I'm actually glad to hear that some Smash characters will be removed. It shows that there not just moving melee to the wii with a couple new things, but essentially recreating the game. It also kicks dirt in the faces of all the preachers of Self Created Smash Bros. Dogma (This includes all those that said before the news of Snake no third party characters) I'm expecting a jump that's something of the jump from ssb64 to ssbm. The game may be totally different, which will turn alot of people with melee ingrained in their brains away for awhile. But once they find out that it is a high quality game, they'll forget about not being someone, or not being able to wave dash, and do their old combos.
Knowing Nintendo, the good changes will far out weigh the bad ones.

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
Dammit, I'm a pichu player, so this saddens me. Pichu will probably be the first to go :(. Shiek might not make it either though, if they go with twilight princess zelda, I dunno.

Panero

Smash Cadet
Vulpine51 said:
As far as overhauling goes. I will be upset if they give Fox the "complete overhaul." I wouldnt mind some new moves, but hopefully they keep him the quick, fastfalling character that he is. Im in a good place with the character i got. I dont feel like adjusting my game too much.

Mabe other people can relate with me on this when it comes to their mains?

some characters neeeed it. being fast and powerful are luxuries that a few characters have. The characters will have greater balance in ssbb and I cant wait. Hopefully bowser isnt replaced with Wario..(I could see the fart working like the fire breath) id be so mad! :mad:

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Is there a possibility that only Pichu will be removed? It seems (although i may very well be wrong) that Pichu is one of the least useful character in the game, and the fact that he is a low tier clone doesnt help.

Also, is it just me or does the tempo of the trailer seem a lot quicker than the ssbm game we usually play? Is that what he means? Make moves more "reactive" in a sense?

I am fully aware that the trailer really isnt gameplay.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of sad now.. The only character I'd be fine with leaving SSB is Pichu, but if they're removing any characters it's not just gonna be one. *sigh* Only time will tell.. I'm not gonna get worked up over anything until I play the game and unlock everyone.

Panero

Smash Cadet
Really think Young Link will be taken out? I think hes one of the better clones. I like the alternative of having a fast link in the game.

SiGeL

Smash Cadet
I donb't know if I like that they are changing the gameplay speed of Melee, I thought it was perfect the way it was. I can't understand how someone would say it was 'too fast'? Hopefully this doesn't change the game too much.

As for some characters getting axed, I can understand that if they do it, it's because they have to, but I know that someone's favorite character will be no more, which sucks. Think of the children (and the low-tier/clones)!

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
The characters that are most likely to be removed are the ones that are just different version of an existing character: Doctor Mario and Young Link.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
So they'll be opening up Air combat? Thats either the coolest or most dreadful think i've heard yet. On one hand, it may make my Peach even better in the air (Peach feels good in the air, and other smashers say my Air Peach is very good, though my ground Peach needs work :( ) On the other hand, it'll make the other characters' air games better, taking away a big advantage of mine.

We'll see when we see, but I find the possibilities tantilizing.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Good. Now people can stop making those stupid official X character threads :p.

And about characters being removed, it doesn't affect me that much. The fact that ness was back in ssbm didn't make me any more happier seeing how he got nerfed down, thus why I now main as luigi xD. The same will prolly happen with SSBB. And with that increased aerial mobility, maybe all chars will be floaties! [/end dream]

crazyhoward

Smash Cadet
nomis said:
I think Sakurai is lying. He'll surprise us all with Pichu being the last unlockable character, making us laugh and very angry at the same time.
I sure hope so cus this scares me very much. I love all the characters no matter how bad they are. I mean the aviator (pichu with his blue outfit) is always fun to mess around with. And changing the speed could change the game completly. Air combat sounds fun but thats just farther away from an already great game. I am very worried now. I'm afraid of this becoming like the transition from Halo to Halo 2.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
First of all, go read the second translation from the page that ilabb posted. It's more accurate and should clear up some of the questions raised. Here's the link again:

http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?&p=3938673

There's two translations there, the second one is the best.

From what we're reading, I think we can expect the character count to not go up that much. I think some of the more obscure and indistinct characters will disappear and be replaced by more recognizable ones.

More importantly, it seems as if all the characters will play somewhat differently, and where this game will exceed from its predecessors is in the thought put into the individual characters and the general balance, which will only add to the fun.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
Doc can go (although I'll miss him) only if Mario plays exactly like Doc. Doc is just... a better character. Wether or not you prefer him or not is your own business but Doc is just a nudge up.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
"go read the second translation from the page that ilabb posted. It's more accurate and should clear up some of the questions raised"

More accurate? Actually, no. These people are scanlators, so its their job to translate into coherent English, so the second one posted is actually less accurate, just prettier. I translated mine to keep in mind the very subtle hints he could throw in, and allow people debating about SSBB to be able to have more room for interpreting it, despite the fact it was translated into English ^_^

Dotdotdot

Smash Rookie
Obscure characters being removed?!
This means:
-Pichu
-Roy
-YLink
-Game and Watch
Possibly Mewtwo

But at the same time:
Ness (wtfnooo)
Marth
and maybe
-Game and Watch...again

=/

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Sakurai wants to expand air? Pit has 3 jumps, even though he's not a puffball?

Even though that was not gameplay, but rather a movie, i think its possible he will make 3 air jumps for all characters. Radical, but, its Nintendo we're talking about.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
This makes me extremely sad to know that Pichu may have to leave the series. I loved his blue goggles and green backpack, and he was so fast and tiny as well. =(

Oh well...at least Pikachu's still there. Hopefully they can return him to his high tier, SSB64 glory. >>; <<;

Edit: Although you know, maybe the clones might stay...I mean, it's not really fair to kick them out yet add in "Zero Suit Samus"...=/ Unless Zero Suit Samus replaces the old Samus entirely.

Xeo

Smash Rookie
Oh man....I hope Ganon sticks around. Even if they give him a complete makeover, so he's like a slower stronger C. Falcon...so long as he stays...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Panero said:
Really think Young Link will be taken out? I think hes one of the better clones. I like the alternative of having a fast link in the game.
Honestly, I don't think that Young Link will be taken out. He seems to important to be removed. After all, Link is actually a boy. If the game wanted to be correct, they would have called Young Link "Link" and Link "Adult Link". However, since most people have the misconception that Link is an adult (since it was hard to decern from the NES / SNES games), and since adult Link was in the first Smash, the naming stuck. Thus, I can't see Sakurai removing such a beloved and, honestly, true character, especially since he'll be starring in a new DS game, as well as most likely the next Zelda game after TP. Plus, the fascination of the Japanese with 13 year old boys never ceases to amaze me ^_<

The one thing that I could see as a possibility, though, would be for YL to become cel-shaded like his WW counterpart. That'd be pretty trippy, IMO. Personally, I would rather not have that happen, but if it does, I'll accept it.

Top Bottom