• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
McFox said:
I doubt that's actually what it says, considering they've already CONFIRMED 5 new characters.
jee...wat i meant is...other than the 5 already mentioned sakurai said they'll add at most 1-2 characters..n thats y the suggestion board is there >_>

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
LemonManX said:
The idea of characters being removed doesn't make me happy, but I suppose if it has to happen it has to happen, as long as either Roy or Marth stays (preferably Roy for me) but who knows, guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yes I hate playing as Marth but maybe it's just because I hate his design and Ike could replace him and keep the same move set. But I like the slight different in feel for Roy as well and Eliwood could replace him perfectly. But Marth is "top tier" so they'll be hard pressed to toss him when despite him not being a very popular FE character, he is a very popular character for SSBM.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Thanks for the spam Gimpy.

And wow, I still don't believe there are only 1 or 2 more characters left to be unveiled. That would be unbelievably disappointing. No one expects the game to come out until summer-winter of 2007 anyway, what are they going to be doing in all of that time?

Energismus

Smash Rookie
TheBlackrose said:
ok i know that everyone wishes that all characters stay and all but that is really not that important we should expect the gay and glitchy characters to be taken out or modified i.e pichu and iceclimbers and really worry about the game itself like ( fair levels like FD, advanced tactics becuse i doubt they were put in on purpose like the WD and stuff and just look foward to the best cuz we all no this game will NOT suck but reality is we have played melee for 4 to six years or so (not sure) that means we will probly not think brawl is better just bcuz of the sheer time put into melee... Does n e 1 agree wit me?
Masahiro Sakurai's Thoughts About Games said:
So it was that Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto introduced me to a "particular team" that had just completed a large-scale game.

Until the day comes when I can announce the team's name, I shall simply refer to them as "The Studio."

"Let's do it. Let's definitely do it!"
The words of The Studio's executive were very simple.

I was surprised when I saw the GameCube controllers they were using. The coating on the analog stick was worn down like an old eraser...
"Our guys have played Smash Bros. more than 10,000 times!"

It had to be a lie.
But when I saw their battle records, it showed a terrible number of matches that were not fabricated.

This was the result of years of uninterrupted playing of Smash Bros. during lunch breaks. There are often cases where your team doesn't understand the content of the game you're making, but that wouldn't be a concern this time.
( source: http://www.smashbros.com/en/story/page_3.html )
I read this article today and this part stood out. The team creating SSBB has played SSBM a lot. And while they may not be experts like many people that frequent these forums, they certainly sound like veterans, which would lead me to believe that they are familiar with many of the advanced techniques. I think they'll add more depth to the gameplay even if they do fix some of the unintended features of SSBM like wavedashing. I kind of expect that they might just add something like wavedashing as an official move.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
HighInDaSky,

So you are Japanese? Cool, can I assume you know the language fairly well then? I would appreciate it if you took a minute to look at my last post in this thread (page 20, I believe) that I wrote to SamuraiPanda.

The same could be directed to you, if you are good with the Japanese language. Could you do something like this, and perhaps get something done around here for all of us? Maybe even shut some people up ;) Heh, I'm not really thinking of anyone specific. I would just ask you as a new message, but I don't want to be guilty of reposting the same basic info/questions.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
Wow, that ranks as about the news I least wanted to hear. I also think we need to reconsider some of the 3rd party canidates people have been suggesting. If they are taking in new character, but might not reach 26 we could see some more original characters getting the axe.

I don't think too many people would be upset at the loss of Pichu, Young Link, or Dr. Mario but it's starts getting really dicey after that. Next on the chopping block would seem to be characters G&W, Mewtwo, Roy and Marth (people tend to forget Nintendo originally planned to cut them out of the American release), Jigglypuff, and Ice Climbers; characters that have less recognition. This is where is really becomes a major problem. I wonder in retrospect how many people would like Snake if they knew it came out the cost of IC or Marth (perhaps even two characters as he is high definition and must be designed from scratch).

Edit: I also should note that the increased emphasis on 1 player mode seems a bit absurd if they are cutting back the roster.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
As my last act of translating for the week (I should really be packing right now), I shall try and confirm what HighInDaSky translated. Keep in mind that I haven't actually read many of Sakurai's old posts, since I decided to translate them when they put up the update before he said all chars wont return.

For some reason, my bro's computer can read hiragana/katakana, but not kanji. I figured out a way to "read" the kanji without seeing the symbols, so I shall do my best.

Here it is: Sakurai starts by saying there wont be any manga characters. Then he starts talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters, maybe?"

Sakurai said it as a question, so it could still change. But at least we have a ballpark of how many non-Nintendo chars will be added.

When I get back, I'll read through the other entries by Sakurai to see if he said anything else of interest. Good catch, HighInDaSky. I hope you guys enjoy the news ^_^

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
I see.....so this could change....oh well, if they're planning to add one or two additional characters max, they better be good.

It's kinda disappointing but if they do add 2 characters max, they better be Geno and Sonic.

Evil Marshmallow

Smash Rookie
Here's my prediction of what will happen:

Brawl will come out and everyone will try and play as their old favorite character(as everyone did when Melee came out) if it's still there, then they will realize that the gameplay has changed from one game to the next(GASP! A change?). With this newly acquired knowledge, which they should have had a long time before they started to play the game, they will test out all of the characters to see how they play in this new game. After a little while of playing around with characters, a new favorite will be found and their old favorite from Melee won't matter.

If you wan't to play Melee with your favorite character, go play Melee. If you want to play Brawl when it comes out and have fun with whatever cracked out stuff they decide to put in that, play Brawl when it comes out.

I have a philosophy on games that I think more people should follow. When a new game in a series comes out, pretend like there were no other games before it. Think of it as a stand alone game and enjoy what it has to offer. Once you've done this for a while, you can then proceed to compare it to games of the past. You will find that games become much more enjoyable.

So, what I'm trying to get at, is that you can speculate all you want on who is going to be dropped, but don't go saying that you're going to cry if your favorite doesn't make it... but maybe I'm just saying that because I'm going to have my precious, precious Meta Knight.

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
Oh, so Sakurai said there will be 1-2 3rd Party characters added, not just 1-2 more characters total. That's cool. I figure it'll just be Snake & Sonic anyway.

Phew, I was scared for a little while there thinking Sakurai had said he'd only be adding 1-2 more characters total.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
It's still early in development. Personally I wouldn't mind if they replaced Mewtwo with Magus for something like that. If a character is similar to another character from Nintendo (Like trading in someone new for Sheik) I would not mind.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
givequicheachance said:
Oh, so Sakurai said there will be 1-2 3rd Party characters added, not just 1-2 more characters total. That's cool. I figure it'll just be Snake & Sonic anyway.

Phew, I was scared for a little while there thinking Sakurai had said he'd only be adding 1-2 more characters total.
Oh...I just read it again...and yeah, that must be it. :laugh:

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
"Here is a quick version of what Sakurai said at the bottom in response to a person complaining that SSBM is too fast: "Don't worry, the speed of the game will "be moderated" a little bit. When I asked "Could we allow more freedom in the aerial battles?" Everyone on my team agreed, so we are refining every character's ability from the very beginning" "

This better not turn into DBZ....

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
It was rather stupid for everyone to think that [insert totally obscure character] would be in it.
Personally I am not very dissapointed by only 1-2 more new characters.
Opnly because that means theyll be putting alot more work into Everything else, like improving characters, and making the clones original [he did say somehting like that right?]
/conclude rant

EDIT: Just realized what panda was saying with his post and feel no need to have posted this.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Evil Marshmallow said:

Brawl will come out and everyone will try and play as their old favorite character(as everyone did when Melee came out) if it's still there, then they will realize that the gameplay has changed from one game to the next(GASP! A change?). With this newly acquired knowledge, which they should have had a long time before they started to play the game, they will test out all of the characters to see how they play in this new game. After a little while of playing around with characters, a new favorite will be found and their old favorite from Melee won't matter.
I don't know, I played entirely Samus for all of SSB, and continued to do so for the first 3-4 years of Melee. I'm pretty sure she'll always be my main, though I'm happy I finally picked up some other characters as secondaries in SSBM.

First thing I do when Brawl comes out will be to play through Classic single player with Samus (first thing I'll do when the first match starts will be try to wavedash, heh). If she ends up bottom tier, then my goal will be to be the best bottom tier smasher in the US. I'll definitely try every character as I play through the single player, but it would take a lot to separate me from my favorite armor-clad girl.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I'm actually very glad that they are only adding a few 3rd party characters, even they add sonic no matter how much I hate him it would be better than having about 5 chars from other games, it would ruin the whol "nintendo" feel of things, this is a nintendo beat em up, if they added too many extras then it would be pretty much like many other multi platform fighting games. And to the person who said about the change in moves and game pace, and how we'll all expect our mains to be the same.
I pick my favourite characters due to who they are and what they look like not how high on a tier list I don't give a **** about they are, I play bowser and mario in melee because I like bowser and mario not because they're OMG my fave move set LOL!

Nephyst

Smash Rookie
Vulpine51 said:
But here he is saying that the amount of characters they created last time was a difficult feat that theyre going to try to achieve again. It doesnt sound sound like theyre jumping to crate a massive amount of characters like we all hope. I feel that my prediction is just as valid as yous. If I am in fact wrong, I give you full permission to laugh at me when Brawl comes out.
I'm willing to do that for you. ^^

I got one out of three wishes granted for characters. (because I am a very good E-Mail spammer...)
Metaknight, Typhlosion, and Deoxys where who I had in mind a while ago. I'm happy with metaknight, however, as I've been a metaknight obessor since he first appeared.

You know a ********, but extremely fun third party character that will never be added? Space Godzilla. :D
...or the 1994 Baby Godzilla.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
ihavespaceballs said:
(first thing I'll do when the first match starts will be try to wavedash, heh).
The first thing i'll do is try to waveshine. If i can still do that, i know my infinites are safe.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Good news! I was worried for a second there.

I think it will be better if they don't overflow the game with non-nintendo characters. Of course that is just me, but I really like this news ^^

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm also glad to hear he's announced a limited roster of Third party characters. Now maybe some people will stop with these more wild ideas like Cloud and other Squaresoft properies. Geno would be enough of a symbol for the good ole days of Nintendo-Square Harmony.

It's hard to choose only two, though, between, Sonic, Megaman, and Belmont. But Chances are, since it's Smash Brothers, the Belmonts would be out, because they don't fit Smash with their somber Gothic appeal.....Or Maybe that's exactly the reason they would be in.

God I'm so confused. Thank's Nintendo.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I wonder if they will edit the game so that you can no longer wavedash? at the very least I hope they get rid of the broken waveshine. Also everyone is talking about who they will take out, maybe ninty aren't thinking of it that way, maybe it's who they are going to keep in or move over/change

BentoBox

Smash Master
Evil Marshmallow said:

If you wan't to play Melee with your favorite character, go play Melee. If you want to play Brawl when it comes out and have fun with whatever cracked out stuff they decide to put in that, play Brawl when it comes out.

I have a philosophy on games that I think more people should follow. When a new game in a series comes out, pretend like there were no other games before it. Think of it as a stand alone game and enjoy what it has to offer. Once you've done this for a while, you can then proceed to compare it to games of the past. You will find that games become much more enjoyable.

So, what I'm trying to get at, is that you can speculate all you want on who is going to be dropped, but don't go saying that you're going to cry if your favorite doesn't make it... but maybe I'm just saying that because I'm going to have my precious, precious Meta Knight.
One of the most intelligent posts I've heard in a while.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Don't start the wavedash discussion again, it's been done to death... and if waveshining was broken, why do people beat Chillindude?

Anyway, I'm really happy that they're not letting any characters in who were never on Nintendo consoles. It'll shut up the Cloud/Sephiroth fanboys, and it will keep the game feeling more Nintendo.

dorkandproudofit

Smash Cadet
SamuraiPanda said:
UPDATE: Sakurai appanrently posted something long ago about 3rd party characters being in the game, here is a rough translation I posted on page 23:

"Sakurai starts by saying there wont be any manga characters. Then he begins talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters, maybe?"

Sakurai said it as a question, so it could still change. But now we at least have a ballpark of how many non-Nintendo chars will be added."
We'd be lost without your l33t tr4nslating sk1llz, sampandy. :( :)

But, anyways, does anyone have any ideas as to who will be the third party chars?

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
True also I didn't know about the other disccussions, i'm new here, I wasn't trying to bring anythign up so please try to be a little less aggressive in your posts

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
dorkandproudofit said:
We'd be lost without your l33t tr4nslating sk1llz, sampandy. :( :)

But, anyways, does anyone have any ideas as to who will be the third party chars?
most likely sonic, if 1.
if 2, possibly a castlevania char (simon belmont).

that's my assumption.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
everyone seems to thing that it's definate sonic will be in it, I think it would be much cooler if ninty surprised us with someone else.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Resting_Fox said:
Yeah, I'm also glad to hear he's announced a limited roster of Third party characters. Now maybe some people will stop with these more wild ideas like Cloud and other Squaresoft properies. Geno would be enough of a symbol for the good ole days of Nintendo-Square Harmony.

It's hard to choose only two, though, between, Sonic, Megaman, and Belmont. But Chances are, since it's Smash Brothers, the Belmonts would be out, because they don't fit Smash with their somber Gothic appeal.....Or Maybe that's exactly the reason they would be in.

God I'm so confused. Thank's Nintendo.
Why wouldnt the Somas be in it?

If Snake can be in the game, im pretty sure ANYBODY will fit in the game.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Inferno_blaze said:
True also I didn't know about the other disccussions, i'm new here, I wasn't trying to bring anythign up so please try to be a little less aggressive in your posts
That's fine, though I'd recommend lurking and reading a bunch of the other topics for a while, it keeps one up to date on what's been said and what hasn't.

And rereading my last post... yeah, I guess I was being a bit aggressive. Sorry about that, I think I was going for more "succinct but off-hand" and the subtleties were lost when it changed from spoken to written. I'll just start adding smilies, they make everything seem happier. :)

Test:
I banged your mom. :laugh:
Yeah, that's much happier.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i will be very sad if sonic doesn't make the cut. he deserves it more than any other 3rd party character, and he's done well for Nintendo as far as sales go since he crossed the border.

and as much as i'd prefer Simon Belmont as the other third party, it would probably be megaman as he's far more popular, though i think Simon would be far more unique.

i'm said about the cuts, but as for people to cut, i could accept the following (no offense to those who love these characters):

Pichu
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Roy
Shiek
Mr. Game and Watch
Young Link

in that order.

i want to keep the more unique people, like G&W, but i could stand to lose him since i never asked for him in the first place. ;)

jiggly doesn't seem like she'd fit in the new theme that sakurai is going for, but i could be wrong. i think pikachu and mewtwo are more than enough to represent pokemon, and opens a slot for some needed newcomers.

shiek may not fit with any kind of Twilight Princess Zelda, and we have Zamus as an in-game transforming (?) whip user now, it'd be weird to have two of those.

roy was an advertisement for his then-upcoming game. i can lose him. i think this game is getting too many sword users as is.

Y. link would hurt me the most, as he's the "true" link, as it were, versus Adult Link.

i'm not really focusing on movesets and melee playability as these things will be adjusted in brawl.

but that's just my take. i'm gonna have to trust Sakurai on this. overall i actually do like clones, for what i saw as a quick and easy extra character that plays differently, but i dunno how sakurai feels about them.

everyone else should stay and ganondorf and falco should get their own movesets.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
The only thing that annoys me about sonic and troubles me if he's added is that, he's so fecking smug looking all the time with that stupid smirk on his face, most of the games he's been in recently have been utterly crap (sorry to any who liked games like heroes) except for a few gems (sonic rush) and that he'd probably end up having a dull moveset (kick punch speed dash, I can't see much else for him seing as he doesn't really have any powers other than being fast) also tbh I think he looks so much better as a 2D sprite than a 3D model, I liked him when he was 2D but hate the 3D sonic.

also, you banged my mum? that's fine :) ... wait a minute, not it's not! CURSE THOSE deceiving smileys! :mad:

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
kilroy said:
jiggly doesn't seem like she'd fit in the new theme that sakurai is going for, but i could be wrong. i think pikachu and mewtwo are more than enough to represent pokemon, and opens a slot for some needed newcomers.
Oh puh-leeze. Pokemon is the second best selling franchise of all time. It has outsold the Zelda and Donkey Kong Country franchises (N's 3rd and 4th best sellers) combined. 4 of the 10 best selling games of all time, including the 2 best selling games of the current decade, and the #1 single best selling game not sold promotionally packaged with a console, are Pokemon games. Whats more, the characters in Pokemon are nothing but hundreds and hundreds of stylized fighters. To suggest that either there WILL or there SHOULD BE only 2 Pokemon in Smash Brothers is patently absurd.

And what "new theme"? Creampuff Kirby, farting Wario and M-rated Snake present a consistent theme which excludes Jigglypuff? You're just making up reasons to cut him.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Inferno_blaze said:
and that he'd probably end up having a dull moveset (kick punch speed dash, I can't see much else for him seing as he doesn't really have any powers other than being fast) also tbh I think he looks so much better as a 2D sprite than a 3D model, I liked him when he was 2D but hate the 3D sonic.
Sonic's moveset will be pretty basic. His B will be a charged up dash(Rollout, anyone?). His Bu can be a simple spinning jump with rings jumping out of him. He could also steal moves from Knuckles, Shadow and Tails. :laugh:

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
It would be interesting if Sonic moved like he did in his games instead of like traditional SSB, ie he starts walking and then slowly picks up speed until he's sprinting, instead of tilting to walk and smashing to run... It would add an interesting dynamic to his character...

Top Bottom