• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus benefits considerably from perfect pivoting

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
Don't sleep on the perfect pivot for Samus! When she performs a perfect pivot, she gets a nice sliding effect which can be put to great use. Samus has clear disadvantages when it comes to movement options (slow roll, floaty, laggy aerials, etc) so it's great to be able to take advantage of the slide she gets from PP - not all characters can slide as far as she does.

When performing a retreating pivot, I've found success following up with an f-smash. I've caught people with the attack while also moving backwards, maintaining good spacing which we all know is so crucial for Samus. I feel like this is an excellent option to add to your arsenal. Here are some videos to show you what I mean:

In this video I catch Lucina at the 0:04 mark attempting to approach me with her f-air, I retreat, avoid the attack, and f-smash her with a retreating PP:
http://youtu.be/MofYaeX36Qs

This one happens at the end of the video. Ganondorf tries to approach me with a roll, but I slide back and catch him with a nicely timed PP f-smash:
http://youtu.be/_yZkErh4LL8

I certainly think Samus can really take advantage of her slide properties. These retreating PP f-smashes are very wavedash-esque and help Samus maintain her spacing game. I've also tried to implement the PP retreat with an f-tilt, or missiles, but these moves halt her slide just a little. Nonetheless I find them to be useful. What do you think?

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
Spacing with PP on fsmash is probably the best thing since you can space from the sourspot to the sweetspot, and avoid the tiny blindspot the attack has. Not sure about what difference PP side special and dashpivot sidespecial have.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
PP plus ftilt or dtil is even more efficient. one of the best ways to offset Sammy's disadvantages at close range imho. you can mix people up with PP missile too. This is a technique that helps define Samus in Sm4sh.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Can perfect pivot be done on 3DS? I don't play much of the Wii U version so I've never actually used PP, but when I tried to practice it on 3DS, I couldn't figure it out with video instruction. Even if, it seems like it would murder my hands to use it as much as wavedashing in Melee.

Edit: I'm experimenting in training, and I can do it...once in a while. Most of the time I just end up dash dancing or doing one of those slow dash turns. Wonder if there's some trick I'm missing, or if you just need a GCN controller to pull it off reliably.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Should be clarified that what's happening in all these clips isn't a perfect pivot. It's merely a pivot FSmash done early enough to retain the initial dash's momentum. PP FSmash actually is noticeably worse than this as Samus' PP doesn't go very far. In addition, her PP momentum halts when you do UTilt or DTilt from it so her best tilt from PP is FTilt.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Should be clarified that what's happening in all these clips isn't a perfect pivot. It's merely a pivot FSmash done early enough to retain the initial dash's momentum. PP FSmash actually is noticeably worse than this as Samus' PP doesn't go very far. In addition, her PP momentum halts when you do UTilt or DTilt from it so her best tilt from PP is FTilt.
I wouldnt necessary say its worse, maybe perhaps for strictly retreating situations. Pivoted fsmash alone might actually move you out of range to punish some moves. Situational I suppose, but it has its uses.

Aside from that PP forward is an amazing spacing tool. PP fsmash for example gives a more precise spacing option than a dash attack or foxtrot fsmash and is faster than a walking fsmash.

Last edited:

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Retreating Perfect Pivot up tilted F-smash is SO GOOD.
There's nothing more satisfying than swatting away someone like Mario that love to pressure with dair and see them struggle to even land a hit.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Best uses I've have from PP is sliding to chage my blast and shooting my charge blast backwards after a foxtrot in a direction.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Be sweet if we could somehow figure out a way to pp missiles, although i think charge shot works.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Be sweet if we could somehow figure out a way to pp missiles, although i think charge shot works.
Honestly I think regular pivot missiles would be better in most situations, as you would give yourself more room during a retreat. Its quick enough to punish moves you dont want to risk sticking your own hotbox into anyway, but if there would be a benefit to a PP middle that someone could think of I'd love to hear it.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Yeah no doubt. I just think a sliding missile would be tight :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom