• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay/Screenshot ( In-depth look )

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The new Samus looks more graceful than her Brawl counterpart. I wonder if this change will affect her speed, stretch and agility as well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I definitely like her old design over the new one, was never a fan of the Other M design. With that said, they managed to make it look quite nice, and it seems like she's much more agile with her attacks, which is a big plus, Samus has never been clunky like she is in Brawl, so I'm glad that her agility seems to come back. In general she just looks like tons of fun.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well she does seem a bit faster. Then again, so do other characters like Mario. So I'm unsure whether or not she'll be all that agile compared to the rest of the cast overall. But I'm all for whatever improvements can be made with Samus.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Well she does seem a bit faster. Then again, so do other characters like Mario. So I'm unsure whether or not she'll be all that agile compared to the rest of the cast overall. But I'm all for whatever improvements can be made with Samus.
Yeah, gameplay in general seems to be faster. ( For the Wii U version at least ) I'm really hoping that her new Forward Smash will give her a better killing ability.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I'll miss her Brawl design, though I do like her increased agility.

I was kind of hoping you'd be able to see her face through her visor now.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'll miss her Brawl design, though I do like her increased agility.

I was kind of hoping you'd be able to see her face through her visor now.
I'm so glad that you can't. While I understand that they wanted to put emphasis on Samus actually being a human in Other M, it annoyed me that I wasn't seeing the badass bounty hunter I know and love for the majority of the cutscenes. Save her face for ZSS.

Donghae

Smash Apprentice
I'm so glad that you can't. While I understand that they wanted to put emphasis on Samus actually being a human in Other M, it annoyed me that I wasn't seeing the badass bounty hunter I know and love for the majority of the cutscenes. Save her face for ZSS.
i hope they keep her other M body & face [hair] and make her wear a holster or something where she can put her gun in...why does so many dislike her other m look? X3 imo she looks great whit her other m lookie...and i really hope she will keep her high heels from Other M <~

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
i hope they keep her other M body & face [hair] and make her wear a holster or something where she can put her gun in...why does so many dislike her other m look? X3 imo she looks great whit her other m lookie...and i really hope she will keep her high heels from Other M <~
I think it's pretty much a 100% chance that ZSS will be based off of Other M, which also makes sense as that's her biggest appearance outside of her suit too, given how little time she has in Zero Mission.

I don't really mind the design, as long as I can't see her face through the helmet I'm fine. Never mess too much with the classic looks is my philosophy.

Donghae

Smash Apprentice
I think it's pretty much a 100% chance that ZSS will be based off of Other M, which also makes sense as that's her biggest appearance outside of her suit too, given how little time she has in Zero Mission.

I don't really mind the design, as long as I can't see her face through the helmet I'm fine. Never mess too much with the classic looks is my philosophy.
i woud love to see her have a alt costume...her old classic one and her default one which is her other M look

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I actually really liked the design and look of Other M. It was just the gameplay and story that really pissed me off.
Regardless, I'm liking how sleek and dynamic new Samus is looking.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
They should have based her model off of the Prime trilogy, or came up with a unique design on par with it. Anything else is a disappointment.

grizby2

Smash Lord
the picture of samus we got today...

isn't she punching the way that Z-samus usually performs her A combo?

off topic: and I keep noticing the pikmin are always in threes now, and in that picture they even died in threes. does that mean that 3 pikmin will act as 1 now? we can only SpEcUlAtE~

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I pointed it out first~ Not that it matters.

I think we'd get a hybrid of both formes' jabs, truth be told. I think they went with ZSS' animation just because it looked more unique.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Yo I just watched this video after checking out the Samus gameplay+screenshot video (from the first post) and I noticed that she's still pretty floaty in the air both while falling and moving just like she is in Brawl. Maybe if you jump after running/dashing she won't feel as slow in the air but yeah, from what I saw it, at least, doesn't look like her movements are as ridiculously slow like they were in Brawl, but here's hoping they ditch the whole "she's in space all the time let's make her floaty" idea and give her the amazing agility she displays in Other M.
I mean come on, she looks less bulky now, she should be faster both on the ground and mid-air. It's something she really needs and I hope they address that before the games come out.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Yo I just watched this video after checking out the Samus gameplay+screenshot video (from the first post) and I noticed that she's still pretty floaty in the air both while falling and moving just like she is in Brawl. Maybe if you jump after running/dashing she won't feel as slow in the air but yeah, from what I saw it, at least, doesn't look like her movements are as ridiculously slow like they were in Brawl, but here's hoping they ditch the whole "she's in space all the time let's make her floaty" idea and give her the amazing agility she displays in Other M.
I mean come on, she looks less bulky now, she should be faster both on the ground and mid-air. It's something she really needs and I hope they address that before the games come out.

her attacks are looking like they come out faster and might have more knockback and damage/killing power, particularly forward-tilt. I just watched the video and I see what you're saying, but most of her movement in gameplay videos consists of her either walking or being in the air. her jump looks a little higher and smoother, but she seems to retain her characteristic weight and floatiness. this isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as she moves better on the ground than she does in Brawl, which I'd be inclined to believe is so, and she'll definitely have better ground mobility due to the lack of tripping.

right now I want to see the following regarding Samus:

-dat glorious Zair.

-bomb jump mechanics

-how much power her missiles might have

-if ZSS is coming back and how the transformation will take place this time around

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
her attacks are looking like they come out faster and might have more knockback and damage/killing power, particularly forward-tilt. I just watched the video and I see what you're saying, but most of her movement in gameplay videos consists of her either walking or being in the air. her jump looks a little higher and smoother, but she seems to retain her characteristic weight and floatiness. this isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as she moves better on the ground than she does in Brawl, which I'd be inclined to believe is so, and she'll definitely have better ground mobility due to the lack of tripping.
Yeah I know Ftilt and Fsmash seem much faster now. When I said her movements seem sluggish I was referring to her ground and aerial movement, as in, walking/running and moving in the air.
I dunno, I really hope they make her closer to Melee and just fix her extremely slow movement from Brawl that ruins everything for her.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Yeah I know Ftilt and Fsmash seem much faster now. When I said her movements seem sluggish I was referring to her ground and aerial movement, as in, walking/running and moving in the air.
I dunno, I really hope they make her closer to Melee and just fix her extremely slow movement from Brawl that ruins everything for her.
her walk reminds me of how she walked in Melee. we have yet to see her run though. but I don't mind if she keeps her floatiness.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
She was actually really floaty in Other M. So long as it doesn't make her easier to KO vertically, I'd be fine with it.
I don't think she was as floaty as she was in Fusion/Zero Mission (her most recent 2D outings) but it's all subjective. right now I like what I'm seeing but I'd like to see a lot more

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me, or is Samus get alot more attention than most other characters? Obviously Mario and Link are being shown often, but how many pics have been related to Kirby, Pit, or Fox? Metroid's my favorite series, so I'm not against this(especially with the drought of Metroid game info), just seems a bit weird. That or Sakurai is holding off on us, like he's got a surprise in store. Whatevs, just an observation.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
there's speculation that Sakurai is hyping a Ridley reveal.
There's been speculation about Ridley since Melee, so that isn't anything new. Speculate all you want, it all depends on Sakurai. Not that we can't do anything on the matter, but you get my point. I'm in the camp that would prefer leave Ridley as a boss(considering we saw Yellow Devil in the reveal trailer, so maybe there's a boss rush mode/Melee like Adventure Mode) or have him playable in some event. I'd rather bring in a character like Dark Samus/Rundas since the Prime series didn't get as much representation as I would have liked in Brawl......that and poor timing for Prime 3 to come out in Japan cause Japan is Nintendo's top priority. Hell, why not both? If Sakurai can make Ridley playable without being super OP and "faithful" to how he fights in the Metroid games(i.e. not being super slow like Ganondorf), why should he be the only Metroid rep? Anyway, there's my rant for the day.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
The Yellow Devil seems more like a stage hazard for Mega Man's stage than a boss if you ask me (kinda like the Ultimate Chimera in New Pork City in Brawl).
He could be a boss for some sort of single player mode or this game's possible boss rush mode but I dunno.

Also about Ridley, I have a feeling he's probably gonna be a stage hazard for Pyrosphere. That or just show up in the background through that huge hole in the back. He could always be actually playable while that hole is just there for the sake of being there but we don't really know anything for sure. So yeah, like you said, we pretty much have to wait on Sakurai for everything here all while trying to make out what we can from the screenshots we get.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
More Metroid anything is good enough for me. I'd Ridley and Dark Samus or a hunter to be playable, bosses, Assist Trophies, etc.

Can't say I wouldn't be disappointed if Ridley missed the boat for the 4th time, and feel he has much more potential as a playable character (succeeded by a boss, but not a "copy/paste Dyna Blade" like in Brawl) however. At any rate, not the thread for it.

Love that Samus is getting more exposure in general. Probably just because she's visually one of the most improved characters.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
More Metroid anything is good enough for me. I'd Ridley and Dark Samus or a hunter to be playable, bosses, Assist Trophies, etc.

Can't say I wouldn't be disappointed if Ridley missed the boat for the 4th time, and feel he has much more potential as a playable character (succeeded by a boss, but not a "copy/paste Dyna Blade" like in Brawl) however. At any rate, not the thread for it.

Love that Samus is getting more exposure in general. Probably just because she's visually one of the most improved characters.
agreed. out of all of the characters demonstrated and revealed so far, I am most excited to play the perfect attendee, Samus, again. not just 'cuz she's been my main for the past three games and because I have a huge investment in her franchise- she just looks so cool and she seems to be more fun and better to play in this game. maybe I'm just overconfident or optimistic but I'm really excited to see whether or not I'm right.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So today's pic has revealed that Samus's charge shot has been "drastically improved". So it seems Bowser is getting a huge animation overhaul while Samus is getting a complete rebalancing. Neat stuff.

---
The Yellow Devil seems more like a stage hazard for Mega Man's stage than a boss if you ask me (kinda like the Ultimate Chimera in New Pork City in Brawl).
He could be a boss for some sort of single player mode or this game's possible boss rush mode but I dunno.

Also about Ridley, I have a feeling he's probably gonna be a stage hazard for Pyrosphere. That or just show up in the background through that huge hole in the back. He could always be actually playable while that hole is just there for the sake of being there but we don't really know anything for sure. So yeah, like you said, we pretty much have to wait on Sakurai for everything here all while trying to make out what we can from the screenshots we get.
Oh wow, hi there Yuchi.
Fancy seeing you outside of Skype. still crying that you unfriended me waah

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yay, a usable charge shot! If the charge time is manageable she might have a decent killing move this game :).

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
you have no idea how happy today's Sakurai quote and pic makes me. super glad Samus is getting buffed and rebalanced.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I actually am definitely interested in seeing Samus have movements and an appearance derived from Other M. The game left me quite dismayed from a gameplay and story standpoint, but the suit design was sleek and cool, and Team Ninja made the movements smooth and crisp. While I do think there's a lot to be said for that slow, first-playthrough aesthetic of stopping to examine the world around you that defines Metroid for me, there's nothing more fun than the speed and flow of playing the game fast when you know where everything is, a feeling that was well-captured in Zero Mission, for instance.

and i really hope she will keep her high heels from Other M <~
Why the hell would anyone run around dangerous places surrounded by deadly monsters, all while wearing high heels? I like a lot about the Power Suit design and movement in Other M, but the Zero Suit was terrible. It would be form-fitting, and it would bind down any bits that would be likely to move independently (namely the girls). And it would have sensible footwear. Really, now, is that too much to ask?

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
I actually am definitely interested in seeing Samus have movements and an appearance derived from Other M. The game left me quite dismayed from a gameplay and story standpoint, but the suit design was sleek and cool, and Team Ninja made the movements smooth and crisp. While I do think there's a lot to be said for that slow, first-playthrough aesthetic of stopping to examine the world around you that defines Metroid for me, there's nothing more fun than the speed and flow of playing the game fast when you know where everything is, a feeling that was well-captured in Zero Mission, for instance.

Why the hell would anyone run around dangerous places surrounded by deadly monsters, all while wearing high heels? I like a lot about the Power Suit design and movement in Other M, but the Zero Suit was terrible. It would be form-fitting, and it would bind down any bits that would be likely to move independently (namely the girls). And it would have sensible footwear. Really, now, is that too much to ask?

high heels would make her taller. her kicks would hurt too.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
high heels would make her taller. her kicks would hurt too.
She's 6'3". She doesn't need to be taller. She also grew up on the Planet Zebes, and has Chozo blood. Her kicks would probably kill you barefoot.

She has no need for heels.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
She's 6'3". She doesn't need to be taller. She also grew up on the Planet Zebes, and has Chozo blood. Her kicks would probably kill you barefoot.

She has no need for heels.

6'4"

and I don't see how making something that can kill you into something that can kill you more is a bad thing

Top Bottom