• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus should not have high heels

Should Zero-suit Samus have high-heels?

• Yes

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • No high heels, if they can make her function like in Smash 4

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I don't care (at all)

Votes: 33 34.7%

• Total voters

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Btw I just noticed I typed "morph ball" instead of "smash ball" lol
Mmmmkay, maybe she is good but the amount of effort needed to get her to that point kind of renders it moot, especially when far better options are available (Meta Knight). And it means diddly squat for free-for-alls, where she is hilariously weak. I guess that made some people around here happy...
Well I mean, no other character was worthy playing if you really wanted to win when Meta Knight was available. But I see where you got your idea from, she was far less than great in Free For Alls.
I'm pretty much in the boat that Zero Suit Samus as she currently is in smash doesn't really make sense in contrast to Zero Suit Samus in the games. Considering that she somehow becomes way more over the top in zero suit form than in her, you know, power armor. That always bugged me.

But yeah, the heels bug me, not because I don't like heels generally, but because they seem out of tone for Samus and Metroid in general really. But that's just something that bugs me about Zero Suit Samus since Smash 4 really.

But yes, the heels among other design choices seem really gaudy to me.
That also bothers me, to see Samus being better without the Power Suit, but I don't want ZSS to get nerfed to bellow Samus, I want Samus to be buffed above ZSS (and neither of them need to be the best in the game, just good), so you see, the problem is not on ZSS for being too good, it's on Samus for being too bad. And the heels don't bother me at all because again, it's not a fashion item for Samus, they are there as weapons for her and they just made her moves cooler than before, there is nothing but love from them.
Well, you know what always bothered me on the basis of being "too feminine for Samus"? Her Melee taunt. That taunt has absolutely nothing to do with her personality whatsoever, I hate it. That needed to be changed way more than the heels could ever need, seriously.

Edit: that thing btw:
200px-Samus-Taunt-SSBM.gif

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could kind of understand wanting a character to be more canon if it's someone like Ganondorf who is low on tier lists or just plain isn't fun to use. But wanting a character to be less powerful just to match canon, whether you use the character or not kind of smells like not liking fun.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I could kind of understand wanting a character to be more canon if it's someone like Ganondorf who is low on tier lists or just plain isn't fun to use. But wanting a character to be less powerful just to match canon, whether you use the character or not kind of smells like not liking fun.
Tbh I had more fun with brawl ZSS, than I did with four ZSS.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
That nerf would not make her more balanced tho.
Yes it would, it's a general nerf that would hurt all of her matchups.

Characters like ganondorf are still going to have trouble hitting her and and can still get touch of deathed themselves.
That's because Ganondorf is a pile of crap who can't even launch magic ballz. He's horribly underpowered AND noncanon so he naturally struggles against everyone. With ZSS taking *1.2 damage in Ultimate, Ganondorf would deal *1.44 plus his other buffs, which is at least scary. Like, Bowser scary. Ganondorf would stand a chance.

Missed grabs become even more risky.
So just fix her grab? It's not bad at all TBH, much better than normal Samus' grab. It didn't drag her out of high tiers...

Edit: Also this example doesn't really even refute my claim that improving balance should be done regardless of canon.
Because I agree with you? I don't intend to refute a point that is clearly correct. I'll quote myself:

Balance comes before canon, obviously.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Yes it would, it's a general nerf that would hurt all of her matchups.:
That's not balancing her, it's just nerfing her.
That's because Ganondorf is a pile of crap who can't even launch magic ballz. He's horribly underpowered AND noncanon so he naturally struggles against everyone. With ZSS taking *1.2 damage in Ultimate, Ganondorf would deal *1.44 plus his other buffs, which is at least scary. Like, Bowser scary. Ganondorf would stand a chance.:
Ganondorf is garbage but the key word was like, for characters like ganon. Bowser and Donkey Kong still get **** on to the point of almost unwinnable MUs despite having grab confirms that kill at 60 with rage. Bowser has a huge grab range and top 10 ground speed to boot. Where are you getting these numbers from? Are they just random?
So just fix her grab? It's not bad at all TBH, much better than normal Samus' grab. It didn't drag her out of high tiers...:
Her grab itself isn't really broken and does what it's supposed to do for the most part. It's the risk reward of the grab that gets skewed and that can cripple her entire character. They nerfed the risk reward on her grab really hard in one of the last patches for the game by making combos at high percents impossible. Since she has such a risky grab, her grab games risk reward is very important. Not being able to kill at high percent off her risky grab makes shield almost a win button in neutral. Nerfing how hard she can be punished off grabs, which is a charged smash attack by literally all characters that scales really hard, could skew her grabs risk reward too far.
Because I agree with you? I don't intend to refute a point that is clearly correct. I'll quote myself:
I agree that balance over canon when creating the moves and animations but canon should have no say when it comes to balancing the characters stats.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
That's not balancing her, it's just nerfing her.
That's the whole point. The S and A tiers are way stronger than the other characters and must be nerfed. That's how balance works. With a couple exceptions the top 16 are also excessively difficult to edgeguard, further swaying balance in favor of their strong neutral games.

Ganondorf is garbage but the key word was like, for characters like ganon. Bowser and Donkey Kong still get **** on to the point of almost unwinnable MUs despite having grab confirms that kill at 60 with rage. Bowser has a huge grab range and top 10 ground speed to boot.
All the heavies seem to have issues with their moves literally not working correctly. I guess 60% Koo-Pa is on the Wii U version on a battlefield platform? Those matchups are only tough because the top tiers are broken. Nerfing them would benefit balance a lot. At least Sheik got a few reasonable nerfs. There are nerfs comin' in Ultimate...
Ground speed hardly matters in the air-dominated Smash. Just look at Roy. Trash.
The other main issue is that low tiers can't recover. Poor physics and weak recoveries cripple most heavies, although Bowser's problem is a propensity to being spiked.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Are they just random?
1.2*1.2=1.44 Multiplicative damage benefits Ganondorf more than anyone. Allowing him to be threatening to ZSS with this nerf.

by making combos at high percents impossible.
You want ZSS to be more broken? She's not a grappler and has far too many benefits already, so her grab must be weak. Same deal with Marth. It's poor balance though because it linearizes play. Her grab is still rewarding on reads.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's the whole point. The S and A tiers are way stronger than the other characters and must be nerfed. That's how balance works. With a couple exceptions the top 16 are also excessively difficult to edgeguard, further swaying balance in favor of their strong neutral games.

All the heavies seem to have issues with their moves literally not working correctly. I guess 60% Koo-Pa is on the Wii U version on a battlefield platform? Those matchups are only tough because the top tiers are broken. Nerfing them would benefit balance a lot. At least Sheik got a few reasonable nerfs. There are nerfs comin' in Ultimate...
Ground speed hardly matters in the air-dominated Smash. Just look at Roy. Trash.
The other main issue is that low tiers can't recover. Poor physics and weak recoveries cripple most heavies, although Bowser's problem is a propensity to being spiked.

1.2*1.2=1.44 Multiplicative damage benefits Ganondorf more than anyone. Allowing him to be threatening to ZSS with this nerf.

You want ZSS to be more broken? She's not a grappler and has far too many benefits already, so her grab must be weak. Same deal with Marth. It's poor balance though because it linearizes play. Her grab is still rewarding on reads.
All the damage in the world means nothing if Ganondorf still can't touch ZSS reliably. Ground speed is looking a lot more important with the new dash cancels, just look at what they did for Little Mac.

But I digress. A flat increase in damage taken from all sources isn't balancing, it's spite. Weight is the supposed to be the stand-in for stamina, not overall defence.

David Viran

Smash Lord

Ok, if you want to nerf her then think of something that reasonable nerfs her actual kit and not some blankets nerf.

Did you read that last part of my post? I never once stated I wanted zss to get her grab confirm at high percents back. I was just talking about how much that nerf affected her.

Marth is an awful comparison to add. He has some throw combos and some 50 50s. He also has has a kill throw and doesn't eat a charged smash attack for whiffing a grab while being one of the top 10 lightest characters in the game. He may not get as much out of grab but it's a significantly safer/ faster option than zss's except at high percents where marth's grab has more reward without the huge risk.

Last edited:

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
Mewtwo was never low-mid tier, he was underrated. Instead of letting the meta settle, Nintendo buffed his everything (including the more important air speed) and made him blatantly OP like Bayonetta. It's not a coincidence. Nintendo was selling pay2win.

Weight is the supposed to be the stand-in for stamina, not overall defence.
First off, you make too many assumptions on what the designers intended. Second, it clearly doesn't work. Bowser and Dedede are the only heavies I've played who seem to live slightly longer (some like Ganondorf live much shorter!), and even then it only works when not being kill combo'd by the top tiers. Even without combos, it's not hard to land a kill move on a heavy. In other words, knockback scaling cuts the benefits (as well as making percent less meaningful). Plus, designated kill moves are a serious balance/design problem alone, forcing further gameplay linearization. This very feature is part of the reason post-nerf Sheik is no longer #1, due to her limited pool of kill options (her grab is one of very few that NEVER kills). I'm not saying I want Shiek to be stronger (she needs to be weaker), but characters need to be versatile for the game to not get stale.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yes, a tall character with middling speed and frame data, weight barely higher than Jigglypuff's, and questionable hitboxes (not in a good way) is absolutely top tier material. The pay-to win argument generally falls flat when you look at Roy.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Mewtwo was never low-mid tier, he was underrated. Instead of letting the meta settle, Nintendo buffed his everything (including the more important air speed) and made him blatantly OP like Bayonetta. It's not a coincidence. Nintendo was selling pay2win.
I agree he was underrated and not a low tier, but he was in no way above mid tier and not even close to "blatantly OP like Bayonetta" now, he is more or less 10th place, not 5, 3 or 1, 10th.
Now I don't remember a buff on his air speed, but you may be right there, I don't think that's important enough for me to go check now.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
Roy 'ain't pay2win (he's mostly hampered by his physics). I'm not sure about Lucas, but he seems average. And those 2 are the only DLC chars that aren't amazingly powerful. 5 of the 7 DLC characters (71.43%) are above tier 13 and 2/3 of the S tier is DLC. Any reasonable person would agree that's pay2win. Hopefully Ultimate doesn't repeat this poor business.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nooo, clearly they need to come out non-functioning and useless so they that we have more underdogs to campaign buffs for, or completely average so we can ignore them.

It doesn't matter what the average tier position of the DLC is, if your argument is that is what was done to sell them, it doesn't hold up when even one less-than stellar example exists. Roy and Lucas could easily have been made OP if the devs really wanted to, same with anyone, but they didn't. What they do want is for everyone to be the best they can be while remaining as true as possible to their identities. You have to be very careful considering nerfs, because alienating players of a certain character just to appease other's complaints isn't a winning scenario.

Also love how we've completely derailed the actual topic of the thread and no one cares to course-correct it.

Last edited:

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
Well, they seem to have already nerfed MY main into the ground (Bowser)...
it doesn't hold up when even one less-than stellar example exists.
Boy, you need to learn about statistics. A couple offset data points don't mean much. The evidence suggests that DLC characters are, on average, much stronger than other characters in the game.

Back on topic, I think we can all agree the heels need to go. Even just rocket boots without heels is fine IMO (despite the lack of canon).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Doesn't mean you have to try and drag everyone else down with you. (Although I'd withhold judgement until new strategies are explored if I were you).

Boy, you need to learn about statistics. A couple offset data points don't mean much. The evidence suggests that DLC characters are, on average, much stronger than other characters in the game.

Back on topic, I think we can all agree the heels need to go. Even just rocket boots without heels is fine IMO (despite the lack of canon).
Which probably means that while the DLC characters did get more care and proper testing, it has more to do with being able to focus on them rather than some hidden agenda. We have no proof either way.

Literally almost every female in the game is fighting in heels, why don't you get on their case for impracticality too?

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
For the last frigging time, laser whip is not canon either, and Samus can morph into a freaking ball, but god forgive her if she tries to fight using heels, which also does not go against the original design of the Zero Suit, because that design was made to be weared underneath the Power Suit.
If anyone want to complain about canons being brokens, then start yelling at Sakurai to remove ZSS from the game already, as she has no Power Suit transformation to justify the use of the Zero Suit in the first place.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
For the last frigging time, laser whip is not canon either, and Samus can morph into a freaking ball, but god forgive her if she tries to fight using heels, which also does not go against the original design of the Zero Suit, because that design was made to be weared underneath the Power Suit.
If anyone want to complain about canons being brokens, then start yelling at Sakurai to remove ZSS from the game already, as she has no Power Suit transformation to justify the use of the Zero Suit in the first place.
First, I didn't complain about the lack of canon (she could still have rocket boots). As others have mentioned it's more of a tonal problem. Second, you should read the first post of this thread. The heels clearly go against the original design of the Zero Suit. ALSO, the morph ball only exists because the developers of the first 8-bit Metroid didn't know how to make a crawl animation. I'm shocked at how many poor arguments are thrown at me; if you're trying to bore me off the forums it might work :bee:.
Literally almost every female in the game is fighting in heels, why don't you get on their case for impracticality too?
RIGHT. There are 10 distinct humanoid females in Sm4sh (12 if you count Sheik/Zelda and the Samus's separate), and only 4 of them have high heels. Additionally, one pair is being used to holster guns on a character who is designed to be ridiculous, while 2 more are worn by goddesses that float. So that just leaves Peach as the only impractical heels. Peach was never a fighter; she is the classic damsel in distress. Her heels are part of her long lasting design/tone/canon and reflected in the 7th slowest walk and 10th slowest dash. (Peach also has 5 butt attacks, the most of any character in any game. Buns of steel!:laugh:)

The only reasonable argument that could be made is that Palutena's walk speed is too fast. Must be featherweight magic or something...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You're free to not like a particular design, I just hate it when someone acts like they know a given character more than the people who develop them. If the Smash devs want ZSS to be a little more ridiculous in the silly world of Smash, they can. It doesn't in any way disparage her character because it is pretty much unaltered from the majority of her appearances. Just look at the closing sequence of Ridley's trailer. Yes, it is very unlikely to play out that exact way in the actual Metroid universe the way things are now, but I totally believe it could if she had access to those Smash tools. And they went so far as to steal Ridley's thunder just to do it.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
The heels clearly go against the original design of the Zero Suit.
I addressed exactly that in my comment, the design says "no heels" because that suit was made to be used underneath the Power Suit, but ZSS never wears the Power Suit in Smash 4 and Ultimate, therefore that "rule" does not apply there.
You say "poor arguments", but you haven't really refuted any of them. The real life reasons why the Morph Ball exists does not, in any way, refute the claim that we shouldn't be worried about Samus fighting on heels when she can turn into a freaking ball.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
If everyone complained about characters being 100% accurate to their source game, no one would like anyone. It really isn't a big deal and honestly you'd be better off complaining that ZSS is consistently top tier while her canonically more powerful armored self is consistently bottom tier.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
But that's not what this thread is about (and the imbalance is already widely known). Also, post buff Samus is pretty good (if not awesome) aside from her grab. If I manage to spotdodge that thing with good timing I get a FREE DROPKICK. She'd otherwise crush Bowser.

the design says "no heels" because that suit was made to be used underneath the Power Suit.
Where'd you read that? That makes sense, but why would Samus choose to wear rocket heels outside of the suit? I've never seen such an item in the games. Her paralyzer and physique should be enough for (speedier) combat, as it was in Brawl.

The real life reasons why the Morph Ball exists does not, in any way, refute the claim that we shouldn't be worried about Samus fighting on heels when she can turn into a freaking ball.
It does refute your claim. You claim the outlandish heels are OK because the morph ball is also outlandish. But if we replace <morph ball> with <crawl> then your argument doesn't work. Crawling is not outlandish. It's clear as day that Samus was meant to be a realistic bounty hunter, and high heels go against that vision.

I haven't played the newer Metroid games but perhaps the franchise vision has changed? I heard some fans don't even consider Other M canon.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I don't have a huge problem with them, but it almost seems like a Sakamoto plug because it's exactly the kind of weird thing he would do. We know that Sakurai takes aesthetic suggestions from developers (like with Wii Fit Trainer), and I don't think the heels are something that Sakurai would have included out of nowhere without input from anyone. So yeah it does seem to be another one of those weird "Sakamoto things" that give me flashbacks to his embarrassing Other M interviews.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Honestly with Dark Samus and Ridley in the roster i sometimes forget Zero Suit Samus is even there, Samus returns design was the way to go for her and regular Samus too, such wasted potential since those are the best designs, but nope, it’s Other M hell again.

Hopefully Prime 4 also has great designs so maybe they are taken into account for a future Smash installment.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Honestly with Dark Samus and Ridley in the roster i sometimes forget Zero Suit Samus is even there, Samus returns design was the way to go for her and regular Samus too, such wasted potential since those are the best designs, but nope, it’s Other M hell again.

Hopefully Prime 4 also has great designs so maybe they are taken into account for a future Smash installment.
I would even take Smash 4 Zero Suit over the abomination in Ultimate. :(

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
A woman has freedom to wear heels if she wants to. And it's justified that they are jet boots with fuel in the heel.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Or, just spitballing here, some of us considered Brawl ZSS plenty fun and the heel change to be fixing something that isn't broken and making it worse.

The only change Smash 4's ZSS kit got that wasn't purely aesthetic as a result of the heels was her upB. Fsmash got two hits, but otherwise, there's nothing differentiating it from her Brawl Fsmash. Some of us not only prefer the heel-less Prime look, but also would prefer the mixups her previous upB offered instead of the high risk high reward chasing off the top of the screen.

I'd main Brawl-type ZSS again. Ultimate ZSS? Eh.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Or, just spitballing here, some of us considered Brawl ZSS plenty fun and the heel change to be fixing something that isn't broken and making it worse.

The only change Smash 4's ZSS kit got that wasn't purely aesthetic as a result of the heels was her upB. Fsmash got two hits, but otherwise, there's nothing differentiating it from her Brawl Fsmash. Some of us not only prefer the heel-less Prime look, but also would prefer the mixups her previous upB offered instead of the high risk high reward chasing off the top of the screen.

it's understandable to not like the direction zss's playstyle went after brawl but that's like your preference. I played brawl and 4 zss and I like 4 better playstyle wise and aesthetically. Either way the heels are not what changed her playstyle but because it was a different game with different mechanics. Smash ult zss's playstyle is different from smash 4 just like brawl to smash 4 zss.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
it's understandable to not like the direction zss's playstyle went after brawl but that's like your preference. I played brawl and 4 zss and I like 4 better playstyle wise and aesthetically. Either way the heels are not what changed her playstyle but because it was a different game with different mechanics. Smash ult zss's playstyle is different from smash 4 just like brawl to smash 4 zss.
The whole point of my post was showing preference =/= objectivity. So. Thaaaaannnnks.......?

But the one thing that isn't subjective is that there were significantly more changes to ZSS in both mechanics and aesthetics from Brawl to For than from For to Ultimate. The subtle changes made to her in Ultimate, combined with the recycled design, isn't going to win back anyone who dropped her from Brawl to For.

David Viran

Smash Lord
The whole point of my post was showing preference =/= objectivity. So. Thaaaaannnnks.......?

But the one thing that isn't subjective is that there were significantly more changes to ZSS in both mechanics and aesthetics from Brawl to For than from For to Ultimate. The subtle changes made to her in Ultimate, combined with the recycled design, isn't going to win back anyone who dropped her from Brawl to For.
The post you quoted was talking about people who actually want zss to be nerfed so she's weaker than suit samus for the only reason being canon. Strength in canon has nothing to do with how good a character is in game. No character been balanced like this besides joke characters like jigglypuff and pichu, they are not even bad in every game either, so it makes no sense to apply this to zss.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord

Don't forget the Final Smash in Brawl forcing you to change into the original Samus for the rest of the match. Zero Suit Samus mains had to avoid the Smash Ball in Brawl. In Ultimate, she only wears her Power Suit as a temporary aesthetic for the attack and we can keep playing as Zero Suit Samus for the rest of the match. And I'm fine with the heels. It gives her a better Up-B than a copy of her Up-Smash, and heels are very appropriate for girls. No one's complaining about the Mario princesses wearing heels. Has Samus ever stated that she hates heels in the Metroid games?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Don't forget the Final Smash in Brawl forcing you to change into the original Samus for the rest of the match. Zero Suit Samus mains had to avoid the Smash Ball in Brawl. In Ultimate, she only wears her Power Suit as a temporary aesthetic for the attack and we can keep playing as Zero Suit Samus for the rest of the match. And I'm fine with the heels. It gives her a better Up-B than a copy of her Up-Smash, and heels are very appropriate for girls. No one's complaining about the Mario princesses wearing heels. Has Samus ever stated that she hates heels in the Metroid games?
Has she ever once worn heels in Metroid games? Namely the highlighter yellow hooker variety that gives her jets? And don't get me started with you on the "appropriate for girls" comment. I'm not going there.

My point in my post wasn't to argue the aesthetics or canon of the design. My point is that some of us legitimately prefer Brawl ZSS's gameplay, and not just her design. Smash balls aren't even used in competitive play, so the change to Samus has never been a concern, and the idea of which upB is better is entirely subjective. As is my point. I preferred the mixups of her previous upB, and I was a ZSS main before Smash 4. It's simply coincidental, and convenient, that I also happen to hate the heel redesign.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just... don't like the jet boots.

Basically instead of making her jet boots Chun-Li, make her more Jill Valentine.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
I just can't believe people still talk about this. They're shoes, guys. Relax. They're just shoes.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I just can't believe people still talk about this. They're shoes, guys. Relax. They're just shoes.
No need to be dismissive of a legitimate complaint.

What if Bowser or Olimar suddenly got rocket powered neon yellow high heels out of nowhere for no benefit but an altered upB? I feel like their communities would carry a bit of a "wtf" reaction.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
It's an opinion. It's as legitimate as any other, including mine. People have been talking about a fictional character's footwear for several years now like it's a major social issue. They get really into this discussion and that's the only remarkable thing about it to me.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Has she ever once worn heels in Metroid games? Namely the highlighter yellow hooker variety that gives her jets? And don't get me started with you on the "appropriate for girls" comment. I'm not going there.

My point in my post wasn't to argue the aesthetics or canon of the design. My point is that some of us legitimately prefer Brawl ZSS's gameplay, and not just her design. Smash balls aren't even used in competitive play, so the change to Samus has never been a concern, and the idea of which upB is better is entirely subjective. As is my point. I preferred the mixups of her previous upB, and I was a ZSS main before Smash 4. It's simply coincidental, and convenient, that I also happen to hate the heel redesign.
I play with items turned on, so yeah the Final Smash does matter to me. And I don't want to have to turn off the Smash Ball for when I use ZSS and have to turn it back on for a character with a Final Smash I like to use, like Super Sonic. And I also collect Trophies and the Zero Suit Samus and Power Suit Samus trophies required me to play through Classic and All-Star as Zero Suit Samus. I don't think you can turn off items for Classic and All-Star, can you? And the same for regular Samus, I need to use her without transforming in Classic and All-Star to get the Samus and Zero Laser trophies. Last March, my Wii U died so I had to send it back to Nintendo for repairs. They fixed it, but they couldn't restore my save data so all my progress between 2010 and 2018 is gone and I had to start over with all of my Wii and Wii U games. At least I unlocked all the characters in Brawl and Wii U and I've completed both Classic and All-Star with Zero Suit Samus, but man I need to catch up on my old games. And in Brawl, I still need to go through Classic and All-Star with regular Samus and a whole lot of other characters that I cleared on my lost file. Thankfully, Zelda/Sheik and Pokémon Trainer is easy because I could just not use Down-B, and if I do by accident I can change back (though I would have to get three trophies for the Trainer). But Samus needing the Smash Ball to transform is bad and I'm glad Smash 4 removed that problem. Anyway, her jet heels give her a much better recovery than the tether and she does have an excuse with the whole heel having an exhaust port thing.

Top Bottom