• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus vs falco good matches, but you be the judge and direct me to perfection

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
Nice color choice :)

first match:

nice shielding

nice attempt for that charged dsmash...

dang falco is good

nice combo at 0:39...

too bad falco died...

nice edgework

At 1:48, you just bombed... it seems like it would have been better to wait for him to recover and then fsmash. I mean, you knew that you ftilted him off the edge so you knew where he was going to go, and it was either an up+b (bad choice), or side+b, and usually when making fast decisions like that, it's very possible to miss the edge... and... yeah, I guess. Just saying...

I think bomb-cancelling the grapple is pointless, but that's just me.

At 3:08, though it's tempting to just recover and tilt him off the edge, an up+b probably would have been the safer choice...

Nice Samus!

match 2:

mm... 1:22 - missed op. for charge shot... but you used it at 1:46 for the kill, nice...

again, nice shielding and spacing and tilt-work... or so I think it's nice at least...

unfortunate death at 1:57 - perhaps just being a little too... hasty? i'm sure you knew the safer route there though... oh well...

i see you trying to fastfall into those Uairs... lol. nice.

I kind of feel those bomb-combos... like they're not really working for you. in both matches. hm...

3rd match:

in all three matches i've seen you dair while coming back down, and while it's safer on falco than it is on fox, it still doesn't seem like the best of ideas... I mean, the chances of you hitting just right... well it's really risky. it seems like it would just be better to bomb to the side and then fastfall a sex-kick to get inside, or maybe try to recover from the side of the stage, horizontally.

but then again, I don't know how much you normally do that, and so if you're trying to mindgame by doing that because you normally don't, then.. well either way I guess...

at the beginning, like 20 seconds in, you hit him off the edge and he does up+b - it doesn't seem like you're being aggressive enough at those times. if you shoot a homing missile right after you knock falco off, the homing missile will cause him to fall and that's basically death. otherwise, a sex-kick has enough priority/hitbox to be able to hit falco while he's up+b-ing, and so it seems like you're not taking enough advantage of those situations, in these 3 matches at least. also, you could try to predict his recovery and prepare with a timed fsmash, or jump up, tricking him into recovering below you, then dropping to sex-kick or dair. I'd usually go for the fsmash, or just wait and see what happens.

it seems a couple of times you're running up and dtilting when it might be a little better to dash attack, but i'm not too sure. your discretion I guess..

at 1:13, ahh, after the ftilt, why the jump to dair? an fsmash would have been great there...

hah, nice jabbing at 1:35 or so

unfortunate deaths.

so yeah

i think your samus is pretty cool. i don't know, your play style doesn't seem weird to me...

overall, i'd say get rid of bomb-cancelling the grapple, and think more about dtilt to turn around fsmash combos, heh.

also... it's hard against falco since he's so aggressive, but maybe a little more evasive action? i don't really know, but, maybe a little more patient game... something. yeah.

anyway, that's all the info i can offer...

/noob samus

Mars-

Smash Champion
All I'm going to say is that you gotta learn when falco can and can't come back. You were rushing towards the edge when he clearly wasn't coming back, when instead you could be charging up a shot. Other then that, nice solid samus. I wish I could play fast fallers like that...

Flavor_Flav

Smash Journeyman
I was too busy watching that Falco... Hes fast but too offensive and needs to work on pillaring... Okay now on to you lol... here it goes:

First Match:
UpB outta shield more, that will garanttee you not getting hit as much with those spammed dairs.
MC strong missles not those krusty homing missles.
Change your Ledge tactics, you used Fair almost every time, a smarter player woulda caught on to that and punished you. Switch it up.
Your samus is effective but I just dont like it lol. You play like my cousin does. You're good Im not sayin you arent, just you use bombs from your dodge/shield alot and Dtilt alot :S. It works though so keep it up :S. Incorporating Dashdancing and Wavedash out of shield will help you in the long run.

Second Match:
Substitute your double aerial game for single aerial game (i.e: Dont Uair + Nair {just an example}, FF your aerials so you can punish harder with your tilting and smashes).
You did good on using UpB this time; like I tell everyone, if they are "all up in your grill" then UpB their as.ses.
Practice your short hopping so you can do it at will, I saw mucho full jumps...

Third match:
Playing defensive against a Falco like that guys is a must lol. All he is gonna do is Dair Dair Dair Dair Dair Laser Dair.. Just UpB all day if you must.
If you connect with a jab do something afterwards, Im guessin you were just hesitating at the end due to high damage, I do that alot too :S.
More Dsmash, you used it once or twice the whole match. Dsmash will be the death of Falco, trust me on this one.
Utilt edgeguard, nuff said.

Hope this info helped a little bit. Again, youve got a pretty solid Samus man, keep it up.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
That Falco was spazin out man! And WOAH, your Samus is weird.

I usually just shield camp the crap out of falco.

I dunno what to tell you, UpB tons more, and stop being weird :p lol. Your Samus is awesome though.

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
wow, lol. thanx? i definetly aggree with you on the need to upB part. i don't know whats wrong wit me but, i just hate submitting like that to falco, lol. atleast thats how i feel. i try to keep up with his speed, and i guess thats definetly my down fall. i wont promise anything, but ill try and do it more often lol.

and to, Saymus, yes, im glad you noticed. i try to fast fall to upair sucessfuly, but always mess up on the L-cancling to down C-stick if you've also noticed, any advice? and the bomb thing, i know it seems usless for now, but somehow i don't see me even coming close to wining if i don't. i honestly think i owe any close matches, let alone wins, to the bomb technique.... idunno, just the way i play i guess. and i really appreciate how detailed you guys advice's were, they definetly helped. later.:)

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
That Falco was spazin out man! And WOAH, your Samus is weird.

I usually just shield camp the crap out of falco.

I dunno what to tell you, UpB tons more, and stop being weird :p lol. Your Samus is awesome though.

yeah, thats my boy, ADHD. i promise if he wasn't so good, my samus would have looked alot better in this vid, lol.

thanx t3h truth.

by the way, to the sonic guy who says " i need to learn when and when not falco is coming back", im working on it. later peeps thanx again for the advice.:)

Watty

Smash Lord
Im not gonna read what every1 else said i watched 1 of the vids. CC usualyl a bad idea when they pillar you as well as that bird did. Shield up b learn it live it love it

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
You have an effective "signature samus" in that there's nothing I can really take from it.
Your play style is awkward but at least you're the only one I've seen who plays like that and you were able to defeat the Falco.

So, nice job.

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
and to, Saymus, yes, im glad you noticed. i try to fast fall to upair sucessfuly, but always mess up on the L-cancling to down C-stick if you've also noticed, any advice? and the bomb thing, i know it seems usless for now, but somehow i don't see me even coming close to wining if i don't. i honestly think i owe any close matches, let alone wins, to the bomb technique.... idunno, just the way i play i guess. and i really appreciate how detailed you guys advice's were, they definetly helped. later.:)
I think you need to l-cancel a little earlier maybe - I mean it's her shoulder that's hitting the ground, and the hitbox seems a little awkward there I think, so maybe it's just that. (I think... I'll double-check tomorrow)

But if you're going to use the uair like that, wait until higher percentages, because you're not going to be able to knock your opponent up high enough with the uair at those low percentages (I saw you do it at like 30%) - they'll be able to recover too quickly. Once you do knock them high enough, though, make sure you come out with that fast attack (jab, or sometimes dsmash). Try experimenting on a cpu? I'll try some things out tomorrow and get back to you on that...

Also, just again some things I was noticing:

When you dtilt, it puts fast fallers into a perfect situation to just turn around and fsmash, so take advantage of those situations if you don't know what else to do.

A lot of times I saw you using the dsmash a lot hoping for an attack, but you kept missing - try either charging for the dsmash for a weird mindgame, or maybe a dash attack instead, or perhaps just waiting.

With that, when falco comes at you with the lasers and dair and he gets just out of reach of you (he misses his dair or whatever), try sneaking in a dtilt right there if you can - falco will come down onto your dtilt, setting you up for whatever. This is usually if you're not close enough to up+b out of shield and not too far away to just dodge the attack a different way... (I think...)

Last, you say you feel guilty or something about spamming the screw attack like that... well, you should still learn to up+b all those times, but if the ground game is getting to you, take it to the air. To me it seems that falco has a harder time in the air, especially since he controls the ground so well, so try and bait those platforms, or try staying in the air more. I guess just experiment with that...

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so...

fastfalled uair --

1. yeah, l-cancel a little earlier, it can be deceptive

2. jab, dtilt, dsmash, and ftilt all work out of it

3. if falco doesn't CC, turns out you can hit him at pretty much any percent. at low -mid percents, dtilt to fsmash. at around 60% or higher, dtilt to bair, and if you're over 120%, dtilt or ftilt will work. ftilt might be the better choice...

4. if falco CCs or shields (which is probably what he will do...), well, it's generally just safer probably to not use this move at all until 60%, heh, because around 60% is when CC stops working for falco for that move. otherwise, if falco shields, CC your jab a bunch to get him out of grabbing range...

btw, jab to dtilt doesn't work because the uair doesn't hit him high enough, so don't even try that one...

glad to help...

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
****, very helpful man. can't believe you actually went and checked but, thanx

Mars-

Smash Champion
Why use a FF Uair anyways? Better off with Nair or Fair, they are better...
FF uair is a snazy way to hit people off the ground, but at the same time not hit them anywhere. I think you can even follow it up too, but I don't do it enough to actually know.

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
It's mostly one of those moves that you normally wouldn't use much, but still has its applications... and yeah, you can and you gotta follow it up or else you'll be open for attack.

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
yeah, im working on it right now, actually. ill get it down.

3Years

Smash Lord
I was too busy watching that Falco... Hes fast but too offensive and needs to work on pillaring... Okay now on to you lol... here it goes:

First Match:
UpB outta shield more, that will garanttee you not getting hit as much with those spammed dairs.
MC strong missles not those krusty homing missles.
Change your Ledge tactics, you used Fair almost every time, a smarter player woulda caught on to that and punished you. Switch it up.
Your samus is effective but I just dont like it lol. You play like my cousin does. You're good Im not sayin you arent, just you use bombs from your dodge/shield alot and Dtilt alot :S. It works though so keep it up :S. Incorporating Dashdancing and Wavedash out of shield will help you in the long run.

Second Match:
Substitute your double aerial game for single aerial game (i.e: Dont Uair + Nair {just an example}, FF your aerials so you can punish harder with your tilting and smashes).
You did good on using UpB this time; like I tell everyone, if they are "all up in your grill" then UpB their as.ses.
Practice your short hopping so you can do it at will, I saw mucho full jumps...

Third match:
Playing defensive against a Falco like that guys is a must lol. All he is gonna do is Dair Dair Dair Dair Dair Laser Dair.. Just UpB all day if you must.
If you connect with a jab do something afterwards, Im guessin you were just hesitating at the end due to high damage, I do that alot too :S.
More Dsmash, you used it once or twice the whole match. Dsmash will be the death of Falco, trust me on this one.
Utilt edgeguard, nuff said.

Hope this info helped a little bit. Again, youve got a pretty solid Samus man, keep it up.
i watched 1 of the vids. CC usualyl a bad idea when they pillar you as well as that bird did. Shield up b learn it live it love it
they pretty much nailed it on the head

Top Bottom