• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus vs Falco shine combos

Mars-

Smash Champion
I was hoping to get some input from a few pros on how to vs falcos shine combos. I try to dair them but for some reason their dair still hits me, and then they continue comboing me. Any help?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Don't use dair on a Falco coming from above you. I'm guessing that you meant to type uair though, and you're right, it's outprioritized a lot of the time and won't even trade hits. The best thing to do is learn to DI the shines well (although you're probably going to eat a bair, it's much better than another dair) and try to smash DI left or right when you get dair'd (especially at low %s and near the ground) so that the next shine won't hit you. Beyond that, you can try upBing the dair, as that trades hits more often than the uair and has the same effect. More or less though, Falco is crazy with combos and sometimes a cycle or two of a pillar is guaranteed.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I was wondering, if I let them dair me, and then I Up B cancel the spike, would that work?

TSK

Smash Apprentice
You can't meteor cancel Falco's dair... Like Aftermath said I would go with smash DI'ing left or right (and possibly upwards as well) and then try to nair them. *waits for a more knowledgeable samus to come in and offer better advice*

StuperDuperMan

Smash Journeyman
use you shield. if he hits your shield, up B. if he laser approaches, move with your shield up (aka shielddash). When he comes up to you with the last laser and hes trying to shffl dair, WD outt shield back with a ftilt/utilt. This should be one step to getting the combo started. If he is low, and you get the utilt, you can get a dsmash or ftilt if you feel its too late and you didnt respond fast. spam up B basically on all but platforms. Dair works best from above, and they will come from above a lot. good news is, if they come from above, shield up B is too good. this matchup, much played like fox, is a dsmash hunt--> edgeguard. once you get them off the stage, do your edgeguard thing i.e. ftilts, utilts, fsmash if they phantasm high, etc. bomb to stop phantasm on ledge, forcing up B, edgeguard with utilt or dropped sex kick etc etc too many options too many situations. also, grabs ****. think about it, if he is gonna get random pillars/smashes on you throughout the match, then whatever, youll live. but if you get that grab, that is too good. uthrow to nair/bair is more valuable to samus than most stuff falco can do to a samus who missed a grab at a smart percentage to miss a grab at. if you have a blast, thats even more ownage haha. so anyways, learn to grab, if youre good you wont miss too much. if you did miss, whatever... haha its a good gamble.

note: also if youre already getting pillared, wtf lol falco doesnt have pillar combos on samus, he dairs you, shines you, you go up, then he diars and you go down, you tech it, end of combo. if thats not how it works, just post specific stuff that falcos do to you, but yeah, if you just hold away from the falco when getting shined you should be fine.

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
After he shines you and on your way down from his dair you can sex kick on the way down and kick him in the head. Then do whatever afterwards.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
Drop bombs or do a A-tilt in the air? Thats what i usally do.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
the way i do it. is let them shoot lazers at my light shield, and as soon as he does an nair, or a dair i just upb out of shield. or another thing that helps is if you get knocked him in the air start using your bombs to really throw off the drill shine combo. if you get to a point where you can spam missles. spam it until the falco gets close and hes most likley going to grab or jump. if you do a short hop nair you'll most likely get him

co_and_me

Smash Lord
stuper had really great advice. The one thing I might try to add in is using missles to set up some stuff. If falco is really really laser campy u can sheild dash trying to get closer but if u can full hop FF MC then sheild. Hopefully u get the missle off and that is your time to get in on him. IF u are really lucky u shot the missle and then u powersheild the laser. Anyway you get the missle off. Then if u are close enough u can try to punish his reaction to the missle. Alot of decent falcos are heavy on the agressive side and when u make them be just a little defensive they are predictable. They will shine, sheild, roll, or jump. The two most common ones are shine and sheild. IF you expect a shine just SH out of your sheild and dair him. You have a number of options from the dair. If you expect the sheild WD from your sheild and grab him. If they roll or spot dodge the punish is pretty obvious. If you expect him to jump out of the way try to meet him with a nair. Likely he wont be attacking you but trying to avoid the missle and thus your nair should work. Just hope he isnt a really smart falco and nairs your missles or actually thinks when he plays. good luck

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
As a Samus player turned Falco, I'll let you in on what I hate about Samus players =P

1) Up-B out of shield while I pillar. Mmm, if you do it right, even if I am 100% perfect with my SHFFL, which usually doesn't happen while pillaring because it's easy to get your hands out of synch, you can Up-B before my shine comes out.

2) Samus, in general, is too floaty to combo half the time, at least with shines, and even utilt comboing is difficult.

3) Samus's edgeguarding skills with utilt and homing missles hurt. (I used to MC a smash missle -> homing missle or vice versa. If the opponent is above your smash missle range, MC the homing missle and see if you can lol from hitting Falco with a homing missle and drop him into the smash missle. Remember, Missles **** Falco because he falls so fast and his firebird sucks so badly).

One last thing, if you learn to do it right, bomb -> dair -> bomb -> dair for 2-3 times can be a nice quick spurt of damage, it occurs around mid damage, so like 35 or 40 to 60 or 70. I used to love doing that, and if he techs out or DIs out then you can just DI away from him after laying a bomb or waveland the Dair if you notice it that quickly.

Top Bottom