• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Smash 4 Thread

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I only recall calling it a beta once Friday cause I got bored of calling it a demo and K prime said anotha good word to replace demo. Still doesn't change that it's a demo tho.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
One of the after effects of the San Japan of recents as I recall calling out his matches.

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Weeklies info is now on the second post of this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/san-antonio-smash-4-thread.371315/#post-17713877

Here it is in case you can't view it atm:

Weekly's will be on either wednesday or thursday nights. The community will decide which date.

The location as of now will be Valden's House. I'll edit the post with his info soon.

5:30pm | Set-Up Begins
6:00pm | Sign-Ups
6:30pm | Smash WiiU Singles
11:30pm | Clean-Up
12:00am | Doors Close

Entry Fees:
Smash WiiU Singles: $3
Venue Fee: $2
($5 will cover both; please bring 1 dollar bills if possible)

Payouts:
1. $12
2. $6
3. $3

All remaining pot goes to Season Final Tournament.

1. LOS Weekly’s will be implementing an ELO system for rankings. After every weekly the bracket will be submitted and the updated ranking will be posted. These rankings will provide seeding for all future weekly’s and potentially monthly’s.

2. Weekly’s will be organized into 4 month seasons.

3. At the end of a season, one final tournament will be held. All of the collective entry fees taken throughout the season (with the exception of the $19 paid out to top3) will be the pot. This means the pot will be dependent on how many entrants there are throughout the entire season.

4. The final tournament will be for the top10 ranked players from the ELO Rankings. The players must also have entered at least 50% of the weekly’s in that season to enter the final tournament. This means that players can’t travel to 2-3 weekly’s (Out of city players are a good example), farm enough points to get in the final bracket, then win it and rob the pot from those who’ve put in the time.

5. If a player in the top10 rankings cannot enter the final tournament (due to >50% of weekly’s entered or for personal reasons), the next player in line will replace them. (Rank 11 from the ELO Rankings and so on)

6. The bracket format for the Final Tournament will be seeded like this: link

7. Venue is not yet confirmed, but I am looking potentially at a movie theater.

8. Seasons (4 month periods):

• January-April
  • May-August
  • September-December

Ruleset will not be out until December.

In the next few months I will be purchasing a large amount of tv's so that we will always have setups, but that will take a little more time. Everybody please bring setups if possible!!! The more setups we have, the quicker the tourney will run and we can have more time for friendlies.

the facebook and twitter links on the bottom are ready. Still working on a twitch and youtube channel, gonna retire sodaddicted :(

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Whoever helped steal my post is it possible to delete the triple post Denti posted and give me the first one he did.

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
Been waiting for the owner of ooples to get from vacation for 2 weeks now :( When the venue is confirmed I'll made the thread for the first monthly. Date will be either January 3rd or January 10th.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Can I attend weeklies remotely? Will probably be too sleepy if events run past 9 oclock need to be in bed for worky job
Nope.

I also am a grown up work and will rarely be able to attend. on the plus side i will be seeded poorly and it will cause much salt.
That's why they're happening weekly. If you can't make one, then try to make another. If you can't make that one, then wait for a week where you can. That's all there is to it. If you somehow, someway, can't make any of these, then there will always be the monthlies on the weekends for you to play at.

Everyone will be seeded poorly at first. That's why the weeklies are such a good idea.. Helps divvy up the players for Sm4sh tournaments more efficiently.

:applejack:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of weeklies and having a seasonal tourney.

I know as a noob, I won't get close to payouts but I think having a better incentive than a one dollar profit for second place will help though. Especially if you want 10 people committing 8 out of 16 weeks.

Maybe 50/30/10 and 10 for seasonal? Idk, I haven't really checked out numbers yet. Just trying to look busy at work before I get off.

Last edited:

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, the weekly's feeding into a monthly isn't a terrible idea... actually, it offsets my biggest gripe about normal tournaments. But I'm not sure if I'm completely sold on it.

Say: First weekly gets 20 entrants. That's an extra 41 dollars put into the pot for end of season.
Next week is 18 entrants, and so on, with the worst week being 9 entrants(breaking even), and the best being 20ish. That's a sizeable chunk for a playoff pot.

But being what it is, you're asking very little for an entry fee to a competitive tournament, which I love. 10 dollar tourneys are a terrible way to bring in fresh players imo. 5 dollars is much nicer. Top 3 payouts normally shaft anybody who's not top 8 anyways, as the top 3 players are normally non-changing.

My suggestion is make your Season Ending tournament a top 8 payout for the 10 entrants. That way there's an incentive to keep playing all season long for everybody and much more competitive in nature.

If only top 3 get paid out in the final tourney, you're still asking people to donate to a pot they don't really have a shot at earning. But if you re-tool the final payout, you have a real incentive to make that playoff bracket(earn back your season monies), and therefore play every weekly you can.

Another option, is not have a Top 10 bracket at the end of the season, and instead have a Top 8 payout based on season points, which I like less, if only because I haven't thought it through as much. In this method, having a player consistently be ranked high would be more valuable then someone who wins the last tourney(preventing bad breaks/seeding). This also would prevent the Top 10 having a possible scheduling conflict. It would suck if someone couldn't make the playoff tourney because they worked or were otherwise indisposed.

Long story short, your plan for Weeklies is fantastic, your season plan with points and attendance is great. Your finale/payout is in need of a re-work. Monthlies could also count for attendance/points, but the payout should be for only that day(not feeding the season pot). Provides out of towners reason to come, and local players reason to take it more seriously.

If you wanna meet up to talk about it over food, I'm down. I'm starving tonight actually. q.q

CCCM89

Smash Ace
I'd think even having the payouts be around 15 10 and 5 form 1st 2nd and 3rd would be enough. we're paying $% to get in, so as long as 6 people show up, whoever's hosting, should it just be at someone's house, will break even, if not make a profit, since there's likely going to be a lot more then just 6 people showing up. At any rate, as long as the third place prize recoups the cost of entry, whatever the rest of the prizes are should feel more substantial.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
I kind of like the increase seasonal payout. At first I immediately discredited it, but the more I thought about it the more it makes sense.

Weeklies could have 30% for the seasonal, 40% for first, 20% for second, and 10% for third. With a minimal of 10 entrants that equals your current payouts, except it isn't capped and the players who really drive these weeklies can benefit.

The season tourney paying at least top 5 will also help weekly retention for players who want to have a shot at making money at the end of the season.

Just my two cents.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I'll make a big reply later but I did want to say that the last final tourney was paying out to top8. I do appreciate the thoughts though.

Top Bottom