• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
It doesn't follow ground techs, but if Peach players are just going to let themselves get hit by it, I guess I'll have to start taking advantage of that.
No, I meant it'll hit me before I touch the ground at an extremely wide percentage range if I DI away from the fthrow. Marth is one of the few chars that can consistently land long and inescapable combos on Peach at low percents. However, you can very rarely kill from them and all form of comboing stops at around 80% or so. After that it's focusing on keeping the Peach in the air and staying below her fat *** and just "oh look I hit you with my sword randomly at high percent and you happened to DI terribly lololol".

Zelda, on the other hand, doesn't have this problem. She's extremely mobile and combos Marth like crazy, and just an overall better character. I like that match up better.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
If all goes well, I will be heading to the lodge at around 3 with a set-up. I'll be there until 5, but I will gladly leave my set-up if people show . If some of you are playing elsewhere, send me a text message and I will head over. Posting in this thread also works.

Also, dudes, all you have to do with Marf is space his sword swingy thingies. Don't get hit and grab tsometimes (or a lot depending on the character).

A taunt after a tipper or down air is good too.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
I just wanted to say that Little Fumi's yoshi is really neat. Also, SD's really cool and we were talking about just coming down to hang out with you guys on a non-tournament day. :D

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to say that Little Fumi's yoshi is really neat. Also, SD's really cool and we were talking about just coming down to hang out with you guys on a non-tournament day. :D
You guys should come down this friday/saturday. I'm pretty sure most of us are busy during the week. (Plus someone has to bring back the Fusion GC)

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who have commented, I know I was playing the match-up wrong, and I know the match-up extremely well in theory. I haven't choked so hard in over a year lol

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
loool have u tried ky's place??
Haha. This should be the rule. If you go to the lodge and no one is there, try Ky's place immediately afterward. I will probably not be at the lodge at 3 or 3.30. 4 seems the most likely possibility, but writing assignments are always difficult to judge.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Just wanted to say - and I'm not speaking for anyone else here but myself - but voicing opinions is a privilege that is earned. People like to spout what they think because "everyone has opinions" and because "opinions are never wrong", but that's total bull****. NOT everyone should be giving advice. There's a reason people listen to KirbyKaze and not RandomScrub999, because if everyone was equal then you'd have to sift through 30 pages of bad advice before finding anything useful, and even then you won't even know it's useful because it's just one post in a million.

But you guys are all cool so it's all good =)

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Just wanted to say - and I'm not speaking for anyone else here but myself - but voicing opinions is a privilege that is earned. People like to spout what they think because "everyone has opinions" and because "opinions are never wrong", but that's total bull****. NOT everyone should be giving advice. There's a reason people listen to KirbyKaze and not RandomScrub999, because if everyone was equal then you'd have to sift through 30 pages of bad advice before finding anything useful, and even then you won't even know it's useful because it's just one post in a million.

But you guys are all cool so it's all good =)
This is why I don't really like to give specific advice unless I am just sharing what more skilled and experienced players have told me. I keep my own personal ideas to myself and see whether or not they have merit. I'm not sure I am at the point where I understand the game well enough to confidently give advice.

I feel like some in SD do have the knowledge and experience.

SNG

Smash Journeyman
Loll. Kira. Thats a good point you put up.

My bad if I dont know what Im talking about. Im a noob. Those were just some things I noticed in the vid. Lol.

:-/

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
But even then, good players don't even always know what they're talking about, either because they just play the game without really thinking about it, or because they don't know much outside of the characters they actually play. I've received some pretty bad misinformation from some pretty good players over the years, from Marth having an advantage over Sheik, Fox not being able to chaingrab space animals, to a recent gem on youtube about Marth and Peach killing each other quickly.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Advice should be assessed on its own merits.

MacD

Banned via Administration
Loll. Kira. Thats a good point you put up.

My bad if I dont know what Im talking about. Im a noob. Those were just some things I noticed in the vid. Lol.

:-/
but you do know what you are talking about so it's all good

ugh, i've tried thinking of differenet ways to respond without sounding like too much of a jack***... so basically, radical dreamer, listen to kira

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The notion that being able to voice your opinion is something you need to earn is completely absurd. That said, nobody is obligated to listen to anybody's opinion, and views that are ill-informed don't warrant much attention.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
ugh, i've tried thinking of differenet ways to respond without sounding like too much of a jack***... so basically, radical dreamer, listen to kira
I won't bother trying not to sound like a *******. There are videos of Armada getting out of fthrow - dash attack, and that's not just my opinion. So basically, blow me.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
And the exact same thing could be said to the Peach players crying omg dash attack inescapable. But I don't think any lines of reasoning have been used here.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, asserting whether somethings works or doesn't isn't very fruitful. Actually showing whether something like this is inescapable/escapable under certain conditions beyond all doubt typically requires looking at the game in a frame-by-frame environment. This is actually something I could check later this week, although I'd reckon that somebody somewhere has already done this.

Kira-

Smash Champion
This is why I don't really like to give specific advice unless I am just sharing what more skilled and experienced players have told me. I keep my own personal ideas to myself and see whether or not they have merit. I'm not sure I am at the point where I understand the game well enough to confidently give advice.

I feel like some in SD do have the knowledge and experience.
Yeah I don't like giving much advice either, I just tell them what I like to do but I make sure they know that it may not work for everybody and it may not be the best thing to do. I mean who knows, maybe a new player will find out something that pushes the metagame to the next level. So who am I to tell them they should or shouldn't do something. Also I'm not mango ><

The notion that being able to voice your opinion is something you need to earn is completely absurd. That said, nobody is obligated to listen to anybody's opinion, and views that are ill-informed don't warrant much attention.
You're entitled to voice your opinion as much as you're entitled to stroke your own ego and look like a fool.

I realize a lot of people show off at home when they're playing friendlies with friends (I'm guilty of this u_u), but I'm mostly talking about those people who spam up the Official Tier List thread and the rest of the melee discussion threads in hopes that anyone will actually care.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
You're entitled to voice your opinion as much as you're entitled to stroke your own ego and look like a fool.
That is, you're completely entitled to voice your opinion; anybody can say whatever the heck they want to say as long as it doesn't violate any rules surrounding the conversation. Keep in mind that I'm not encouraging people to be vocal nutcases, but if they think they have something to add, then they shouldn't be reluctant to do so simply because they don't have a famous name.
I realize a lot of people show off at home when they're playing friendlies with friends (I'm guilty of this u_u), but I'm mostly talking about those people who spam up the Official Tier List thread and the rest of the melee discussion threads in hopes that anyone will actually care.
While I agree that many people there do tend to be obnoxiously dumb, their views should be viewed as dismissed because they are poorly thought-out, not because they come from a stupid mind; doing otherwise amounts to an appeal to authority.

MacD

looks at join date

i started learning advanced techniques january or so of my junior year of high school, went to tournies and eventually made an account

i was at OC3, played ken in pools haha

oh then started playing less near the end of my senior year, officially quit when i moved off to college, played brawl with my hallmates at the end of the first quarter and missed melee. posted on the boards asking if anyone wanted to play while i was back home for winter break, they asked me to take them to WCSL, been hooked ever since then

MacD

i wonder if you saw my edit, since your post appeared like 1 sec before i was done haha

and it's weird being called old school, i remember calling others old school

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
I wonder if Jun ever looks at June join dates

and thinks

hey look

that's me.

and @ Peach vs Marth, Marth was Zhu's first main and therefore the first character I learned to play(/hate). I've been hating that match up for many years and trying to find ways to get out of his utter bull****, but to no avail. I'm almost completely sure that whenever Peach gets out of fthrow -> dash attack, it's because:
a. they DI'd in (in which case the Marth can fsmash or at some percents, regrab)
b. the Marth was slow
c. they weren't at the right percent (under like 25ish and over 80ish).

Also, the tourney didn't finish not because of the format lol. It was because no one really cared and we just stopped playing matches and played crews instead.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
Also, the tourney didn't finish not because of the format lol. It was because no one really cared and we just stopped playing matches and played crews instead.
I see. Wasn't that the same day that epic irvine/sdsu vs san diego/ucsd crew battles were gonna go down?

Next saturday i'm gonna go and am gonna **** peach players with my marth
just kidding i suck

Top Bottom