• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
You don't need money to achieve the goal of not losing money. You can prevent yourself from losing money by not wasting money in the first place which is more efficient. Doing so is better than spending money with the hopes of making back the money which failed (as seen from last year where Smash Club lost a significant amount of money). There is no guarantee that you can make enough money back to cover the costs. You would actually need to charge everyone at least $5 assuming there are 16 entrants each week. Most new people who do not go to tournaments are hesitant to spend that much amount of money on a weekly basis. Regarding the food, spending money on the food is upfront where you know how much you will spend right on the spot whereas venue fees and spending has tricky hidden costs and policies (I was discussing this with David at late night which I just came back from). My argument is based on cost and does not actually have any bearing on the food or the venue itself.

Your 3rd argument where "you talked to everyone" and surveyed opinion where you concluded that "they preferred the old venue and time" and not care the pizza assumes that the cost of the extra 2.5 hours of Smash is equivalent to the cost of pizza for everyone which is not true. The costs of getting the extra 2.5 hours outweighs (by far) the costs of pizza so your argument is still invalid where you tried to trade the pizza for the extra 2.5 hours. The extra cost from the 2.5 hours actually does not come from the extra 2.5 hours itself but rather the decrease in funding we would have to receive from somewhere else that is not After Dark. After Dark is the best funder we got right now.

Also even though we are suppose to stop using the TVs by 11 PM, they won't collect back the TVs until morning so we can actually stay until 4 AM if we need to.

:212:

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
I don't even know if I'm going to the LPT so I'm not going to vote on what the fee will be.

As for the state of the club, I couldn't care less about the club providing pizza for everyone, especially if people try to give IOUs in exchange for food and it costs the club money it doesn't have. Like Dante said, I think we're all capable of finding our own food before the club starts, especially if that's going to be at 9. The building doesn't matter as long as there's room for everyone and it's not a pain to get setups to.

Next quarter, David can work on getting After Dark to fund the club, even if it starts earlier than 9. It really shouldn't even be an issue since we're planning to be there way past that, but whatever.

Tournaments are easily the best way to get funding, given the huge turnout for the one back in spring quarter last year.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
You don't need money to achieve the goal of not losing money. You can prevent yourself from losing money by not wasting money in the first place which is more efficient.
that's unrealistic. of course you're gonna need to spend money on smashclub unless you can get a free venue, and in order to spend money without netting a loss, you need money.
My argument is based on cost and does not actually have any bearing on the food or the venue itself.
that doesn't make sense. of course it has to do with the food and venue. those both cost money so you need to take them into account when planning.
Your 3rd argument where "you talked to everyone" and surveyed opinion where you concluded that "they preferred the old venue and time" and not care the pizza assumes that the cost of the extra 2.5 hours of Smash is equivalent to the cost of pizza for everyone which is not true. The costs of getting the extra 2.5 hours outweighs (by far) the costs of pizza so your argument is still invalid where you tried to trade the pizza for the extra 2.5 hours. The extra cost from the 2.5 hours actually does not come from the extra 2.5 hours itself but rather the decrease in funding we would have to receive from somewhere else that is not After Dark. After Dark is the best funder we got right now.
I never said I talked to "everyone" whatever that means. And I never "assumed" what you say I did. You're the one that said
Even if we did had more money from hosting tournaments, putting the money to have Smash Club start at an earlier time would be a waste IMHO. I'd rather have the money be used for pizza or something.
and I responded that the two aren't mutually exclusive. you made it sound like you can either have one or the other, which I dispute. I was talking about priorities in that part, not cost, as I stated.
Also even though we are suppose to stop using the TVs by 11 PM, they won't collect back the TVs until morning so we can actually stay until 4 AM if we need to.
again the people I've talked to would prefer starting earlier because they don't WANT to stay that late.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
1. Staying late is a sacrifice we have to make if we want to have more time to play without spending money that is not already given to us.

2. Sorry, "you talked to everyone" was suppose to be "everyone you talked to." I worded it incorrectly. You said that instead of pizza you would rather have extra time, but what you did not know was that the extra time gained by not having the pizza is not worth it. It would be 30 minutes based on the costs David was telling me. I actually am making it sound like one or the other and the two choices are actually:

A. Pizza
B. an extra 30 minutes of Smash

not

A. Pizza
B. an extra 2.5 hours of Smash

I'm arguing that the amount of extra time we get is not worth the amount of money spent from After Dark and this is assuming we have extra money.

3. We actually don't spend any money on the venue. After Dark pays for the venue. We the members, officers, etc. actually don't spend anything besides the registration fee. So my point still stands. Spending actually only happens when we pay for stuff out of our own pockets. Even if you count After Dark funds as "spending," then it is still irrelevant since my argument is based on costs vs. losing money. We actually don't need to take into account anything when planning since they give us money based on the stuff we are running not a fixed amount so your statement regarding "that doesn't make sense. of course it has to do with the food and venue. those both cost money so you need to take them into account when planning" is invalid.

4. My argument is based on costs since the costs only concerns me when it comes from our pockets. The costs of After Dark does not actually concern David nor me. Since David and I are not paying for the venue the costs don't actually affect us. It only affects us when we want to start the club early to have more time to play (which is what you are hoping for). Our funds are just barely enough to cover the costs from 9 PM onwards. The costs only affect us when we push for an earlier time.

5. If you want to risk money on having Smash Club start at an earlier time, then it would have to be on your own where you collect the money from the tournaments without Smash Club's help since Smash Club does not want to proceed with such a risky plan.

6. You argued that regarding priorities Smash Club should have more time over pizza but I pushed for pizza rather than time since it is a safer option since the amount on pizza would be upfront unlike the hidden costs from venue fees such as price increments, etc. In other words, we know how much we will spend for pizza before we spend it. The same is not true for extra smash time.

My entire argument is based off of risk vs. cost not how to divide the costs / spending.

:212:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
As I said earlier, next quarter I believe will be better. I'll talk to After Dark about having earlier meetings. And hopefully by then, we will know who all the new members are, and we can appeal to more people for setups as well.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
- David worked hard and this is all we could afford if we want setups and a free room.
- Given we have no money but the money AS provides and the money right now that After Dark provides, since we are not paying out of pocket, we have to use this room because
1. Setups brought to LPC make the most sense given that it's the shortest trip for about everyone on and off campus in general, and that need to bring setups (including myself in Santa Ynez)
2. Not many rooms were offered because of the issues we had registering the room

- Meetings start at 9PM because it is the earliest After Dark specified time we can start. Unofficially they fund things from as early as 8 or even 6 sometimes. The problem is they are very undependable when we start before 9PM because more often than not they give us a "screw you" minimalist budget, since they don't even have to fund anything unofficially within the time in the first place.
* David will talk to them and establish that funding will occur at an earlier time, and only then can we move back to our original (or somewhere around there) time

- Food won't be happening except with the Smasher system (everyone ponies up for their own domino's) or UC Smasher system (lol nickname: everyone ponies up for portions of Costco pizzas that are shared)

- Huy and Dante there's no reason to argue. Tell the facts, then agree on the best available option
Walls of text unnecessary

- Huy, stop posting *corrections* like me needing to update the facebook page on here. This is public. Talk to me about it and I'll fix it (like in the two seconds I did after I got on gmail and saw your conversation messages)

- David and I will be hosting Metaknight Banned SBR-derivative ruleset for Brawl at the LAN tourneys, the fairest thing possible basically. I will be entering doubles for both events, and need a partner for Melee still.

Is there anything else that needs clearing up?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
metalreflectslime said:
you're not even making sense anymore. You're just stating your opinion and then saying "so your argument is invalid." that's not how it works, my man.

@crackle: thanks for clearing that up dude. I don't want it to seem like i'm just a complainer who doesn't appreciate what you guys have done, although that's how it comes off sometimes. I just wanted some answers lol, and huy wasn't exactly helping by injecting his opinion and value judgements into what should have been a report of the facts.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
What am I voting on? If its that tourny thing ill play for $1

Also anyone want to play tonight? I cant host but i think i can bring a set up some where

DanteFox

Smash Champion
we're playing at David Chao's right now. Same place as before. It's in Manzanita, call me if you can't find it.

edit: I'm not actually there yet, but cho told me that it's happening.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Huy and I are already here. Huy did not see Dante's edit, so he came here at 3:05.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
2 of the TVs from Kerr Hall are already here. Also Caleb, what song is your cell phone ring tone from? Also Caleb and Dante complained how 9 PM is too late, but we're setting up and playing in 5 minutes and they are not even here yet.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Whoooooo, good stuff. Thanks to everyone who showed up! Post a shoutout if you got home safely.

If the meetings get better as I anticipate they will, we'll be having another great year.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Had a great night. Thank you melee players for being in the good mood regardless of the competitiveness of most of the stations!

Brawl players thanks for being fun the entire night as well!

Shoutouts to Duncan, Sam, Sebastien and SRK for being ridiculously good teammates.
Also to Random Fox dude I played with at the beginning of the night for being good enough to ridiculously make comebacks against Dante's team three times in a row!
Shoutout to David and Anthony for double ganon fever. That **** was stupid!
And to Dante, Helmet and Caleb for hopefully ****** Ganon socks all night!

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Psychic wouldn't help :150: find out the name of Caleb's ringtone. A better Pokemon ability would be that one ability from the 5th generation that reveal's the opponent's held item or something but the name of that ability is eluding me at the moment. Can David help me with this Pokemon ability? SB is already holding a tournament on the 20th but the entry fee is currently set at $1. Would SLO want a $5 entry fee?

Stev

Smash Ace
Psychic wouldn't help :150: find out the name of Caleb's ringtone. A better Pokemon ability would be that one ability from the 5th generation that reveal's the opponent's held item or something but the name of that ability is eluding me at the moment.
Caleb's ringtone is not a held item, nor is Caleb a pokemon. Your point is moot.

:150: uses mind reader on Caleb before self-destructing, taking his knowledge to the grave while laughing at MRS

It appears that you only have 6 badges and your lvl 100 Mewtwo disobeyed you.

Top Bottom