• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
ANY idea as to what time? and is anyone else going?

Also, for David Chao, I will not be able to make it to smash club this week so if you want to use my set up and get back yours let me know soon. Im going home this weekend and I am planing on leaving on wednesday night. So let me know what you want to do about the set ups.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
I am going. The CS guys are going. It will be at night. If you are leaving Wednesday night, then will you miss class on Friday? Tell me and what Caleb's ringtone is.
I dont have class on friday.

"Night" is not a time btw. Just for that Im not gonna tell you what Caleb's ringtone is...

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Why did you leave out :212: when you quoted my post? Night is a time. Just because you don't know what time "night" is does not mean "night" is not a time. If you don't know what time the CS Club considers "night" is then you should ask instead blindly assuming things. Also :045: wants to know what Caleb's ringtone is.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Questions you asked:

1. What time on Wednesday?

2. ANY idea as to what time?

Asking what time is not the same as asking what time "night" is considered at the CS Club, so your argument as to the fact that you claimed you did ask and that I didn't specify a time is invalid. Even :212: agrees.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
What time on wednesday?

I know what Caleb's ringtone is.
ahahaha. I see what you did there.

Huy stop arguing semantics. How would you like it if someone did to you what you're doing to David? Would you like it if I said "hey everyone smashfest at my house on friday!"

Huy: "What time?"

Me: "Daytime."

Huy: :c

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I was not arguing semantics. There is an inconsistency in your argument, Dante. I would have asked you what time is considered "daytime." David did not ask me, Jonathan, nor Raymond what time is considered "night." Now had he asked me what time is considered "night" I would have told him so. These are two completely different situations in which you are comparing. John, I can play with you this weekend in teams. :212:

The conversation would have went like this:

Huy: "What time?"

Me: "Daytime."

Huy: "What time is considered "daytime" according to yourself?"

You cannot reply, "Daytime" again since I had already asked you what time is considered daytime. In my conversation with David, this was not the case since David did not ask me nor members of the CS Club, what time does CS Club define as "night time."

CS Club is planning on playing at Jon's (not John Zobac) on Thursday at 7 PM if you are interested.

:212:

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
Huy, you're arguing about how to interpret the word "time." That's a semantic argument. David wanted it in terms of hours and minutes. You gave it in a very vague answer that, honestly, didn't help at all.

I'd also like to point out that in your hypothetical conversation about how it "should" go, it was between you and you.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
huy you should really cut back on your spam posts though. Helmet and cape dont really go on these boards because of these meaningless wall of posts and its safe to say the same with joey.
Just take it easy dude.

And again youve always had a problem specifying where and when smashfest are. Just put a place and exact time and there wont be any problems. And you couldve asked me what my ringtone is when you talked to me on google, instead asking over and over again in 10 posts.

its called coconut.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
Thank you SB for explaining that to huy. We wont going into explaining to him how to argue though. As Caleb said this board has enough spam as it is.

Btw Caleb are you (or anyone else) going to the smashfest on wednesday? If its at 7 i probably wont make it but i just wanted to see if I could give you my controller at some point so you can replace the control stick. (Pleeeeeeeease)

its called coconut.
Really? hmm I didnt actually know that. =D

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
1. The sun rises and set at specified times of the day depending on certain factors such as location, time of the year, etc. so the time is actually specified by the use of "sun rise" and "sun set." My argument is based on specific versus unspecific and "sun rise" and "sun set" are specific because they are depended on latitude, longitude, time zone, altitude, etc. which are your independent variables.

2. CS Club is planning on playing at Jon's (not John Zobac) on Thursday at 7 PM if you are interested. You signed off before I had the chance to ask you.

3. Dante knows how to fix controllers.

4. This is how the conversation hypothetically would have went if it continued until a rationale is reached:

David's scenario:

A: When is the smashfest?

B: Night time.

David stopped right here when he should have continued.

A: When is night time defined by the CS Club?

B: The CS Club defines night time as 7 PM which is when the smashfest starts.

Dante's scenario:

A: When is the smashfest?

B: Daytime.

A: When is daytime?

B: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sunrise+santa+barbara

A: Aha, so sunrise in SB on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 is at 6:26 AM PST (where 626 is David Mendez's area code). Thanks, for the information. I will be outside your house at 6:26 AM. Thanks for inviting me.

B. Thanks for coming.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I'm gonna stop arguing with you huy because as others have said, you've turned this thread into the Huy-practices-arguing-semantics-with-sb thread. But suffice it to say, you're

1.wrong semantically
2. wrong logically
3.just plain old wrong.

I'll just leave it at this and then abandon this conversation (I promise to actually do it this time).

Ask yourself this (again, this a is a rhetorical question, please don't actually answer it in this thread):

If the logical conclusion of the conversation, as you say it is, is you eventually telling David the exact time, then why should David have to go through the pointless trouble of continually digging through decreasingly vague articulations of time? Why should anyone?

One of the things we learn in engineering (which I am sure you are well aware of, but this applies to communication in general, heck it applies to pretty much everything) is to be as concise as possible. When you don't give straight, concise information, it makes people frustrated or confused. A lot of the time people will misunderstand what you're trying to say, or eventually just ignore you altogether, because it becomes far too tiresome to try to extract information from someone who doesn't know how or doesn't want to give it. Just reflect on this for a while. When someone asks you a question or when you post in the future, think to yourself, "what information is relevant to the topic at hand? Is what I posted more appropriate for another circumstance or means of communication (aim, pm or email)? How do my posts come off to other people?"

again please don't respond to this post, at least not in this thread. if you want to continue this conversation, pm me or aim me.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
No more wall posts please, AGREED. The pokemon are cool though (two per post...).

Anyway. Huy I'd be glad to team with you IF you agreed to do some teamwork like letting me setup rests with my upsmash/tilt/grab/dthrow and IF you agreed to work on a strategy that involves me being the center-stage holder while you do WoP's or follow me for the 2v1's.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Caleb has a cool ringtone. I've heard the ringtone looped at least 60 times by now.

http://www.youtuberepeat.com/watch/?v=upJvx99yTcA

Dante was actually the first person to reply to be my teammate for this a while back but if he changes his mind and does not want to team with me or cannot attend the tournament due to a recital or a performance, then I can team with you. Actually I have a midterm on Tuesday so I may not attend this tournament, so Dante needs a back up teammate. Also electrochemistry is not on the midterm Wednesday right? I sent you a message on Google Talk but you did not reply. :( Dante, do you still want to team with me at the LPT if I do go?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
You are actually forced to flake out if there is a recital or a performance since you are not allowed to skip one unless there is an emergency. Also John, is electrochemistry on the midterm tomorrow? You didn't answer my Google Talk message. :( Also what is everyone's reason for entering tournaments? Lucien asked this in the NCPR thread. My reason is to see how much I improved.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Anthony is my first priority for teammate, just saying. Don't know if he knows that himself or not. :love:

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Yeah ever since double ganon with David/Anthony I don't know if I can have a chance at a teammate and opportunity to win that tournament anymore. It's too bad because I was sure I'd pull a 1st/2nd given the skill levels in the club and what I was willing to train.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I am honored that Lucien is actually read our thread for a second. :) Anthony may not show up so you still have a chance. There is also Andrej since Caleb is not going. There is also Dante in case I am not going. Also payout is also to third place. What is your rule set for the Brawl side of the tournament?

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
You seem like you are concerned about money by making that post. If the case is money, then there is an inconsistency in your motives. You want to make the entry fee low to attract more SB locals (particularly the students) yet you want the second placing person to get more money percentage wise than usual by contemplating to change the payout structure which may detract some players due to not having a 3rd place prize. If the goal is to attract players, then the money should not matter. Jason made the entry fee $2 and had payout extending to 5th. Jason actually extended payout to 5th place to attract more players and it worked out for him since both of his Arcadian tournaments had over 70 entrants. He did not care if some of the top players wanted to break even from their gas costs. He wanted the community to have a good time. Granted, Jason's entry fee was only $1 higher than your anticipated entry fee. What is your rule set for the Brawl side of the tournament?

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
My issue is that I do not understand where to get started. Huy is it you or David that knows the people, and who should I talk to to confirm I am running Brawl?

and Dante NICE image, fit the situation perfectly "NO NO NO"

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Yes to both questions. Also I have a strong feeling this tournament:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290869

will have as few entrants as this tournament:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289120

and this tournament:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274739

meaning there will not be Melee doubles.

You still haven't learned.

yes there will be doubles.

remember to ask yourself those questions I posted: "what information is relevant to the person asking me the question?"

(I'll give you a hint, it's a time [exact numerical time] and place [exact place] for both smashfests)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I only have two things to say at the moment.

If you can bring a TV to San Nicolas...I'd love to know.

More importantly for the LAN party, assuming David brings John's TV, my TV, and his TV, we have 3 of the four TVs needed to run Melee and Brawl doubles simultaneously. I'm assuming that one more person here could tell me if they have that one extra TV I need.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
San Nicholas Resident Hall only has 4 outlets so power strips will be necessary. John and David should make the rule set for Brawl and rule sets for both Melee and Brawl should be printed out like Andrew's tournament.

The time for both smashfests has already been confirmed. Now we just need to vote for a location. You cannot expect me to post the location prior to voting. That's like saying I didn't make dinner when the people have not told me their preferences yet.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
San Nicholas Resident Hall only has 4 outlets so power strips will be necessary. John and David should make the rule set for Brawl and rule sets for both Melee and Brawl should be printed out like Andrew's tournament.

The time for both smashfests has already been confirmed. Now we just need to vote for a location. You cannot expect me to post the location prior to voting. That's like saying I didn't make dinner when the people have not told me their preferences yet.

you are the chef at a soup kitchen. we are hobos. now feed us. :bee:

we're not picky, I promise.

Top Bottom