• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Say "Fuzzy Pickles." Ness Video/Critique Thread

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Well I got 7th out of like 17 people. I probably would've done better if I had a bit more matchup experience against the p:m characters. Charizard and Squirtle threw me for a loop (though Squirle looses to Peach hard XD, Charizard vs. Peach though...). I got somebody to practice with now so I will probably do better next tournament. I just need to get all these new matchups down.

Edit: here are the 2 matches with my Ness.

http://www.twitch.tv/beastmodeny/b/539704594

3:50:47 is for vs. Squirtle
4:07:25 is for vs. Charizard

Last edited:

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
up to date as of today
@ Akhenderson Akhenderson @ SpaceJello SpaceJello
you're twitch archives are dead, were they uploaded anywhere?
Yeah, they weren't uploaded anywhere so that kinda sucks ;_;
I would like to be able to upload them, but they're not my footage and I don't exactly know how to upload them on youtube without doing some weird shenanigans.
Here's yesterday/today's weekly I joined and got 2nd (watch before they become dead'd~): http://www.twitch.tv/jackkenney/b/540961929
Against a Captain Falcon at 5:29:44
Against Pit at 6:40:33 (Don't mind me when I switched to Snake, I was totally free and completely terrible which, afterwards I switched back to Ness.)
Against an amalgamation of characters on Grand Finals (Marth, Fox [mostly Fox], Captain Falcon, Bowser and Mewtwo) at 7:04:34

JTMerrell

Smash Journeyman
This is the first tournament where I have won against Moist. Pretty proud of myself takin' first place since... I think the second CSTT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32QMpQ-oTms vs Shapular (Mario)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4uHuRCaHCE Vs Moist (Captain Falcon) Winner's Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_E4sOxDdp4 vs Shapular (Mr. Game & Watch, Mario) Loser's Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhA5Nwdx67E vs Moist (Captain Falcon, Link) Grand Finals Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNj6daeSAnY vs Moist (Falco) Grand Finals Part 2

There was another match I had, but I went Ivy for fun.
Wouldn't mind a little critiquing.

Last edited:

SoggyEagle

Smash Journeyman
This is our local Ness player, Magic. We had him chair our first 'Hot Seat' where he was basically in an endless boss rush kind of series of sets against our other available players: http://www.twitch.tv/eaglesmash/b/543011334

The entire recording will likely cease to be available until we get things posted onto youtube, but for now, if there are any tips or praises that could be provided to Magic (and he has been watching Calabrel), I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
if you like cool technical stuff with ness check out my vids http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/543950095
first match is 2:56:17
seconed match is 3:09:33
third match is 3:52:30
give me some feedback

edit: they've deleted the vod again -___-. i swear they're doing this on purpose

Last edited:

JTMerrell

Smash Journeyman

twinx

Smash Cadet
I've got some new footage and would like to know of some habits that need to be ironed out or play that should be incorporated.

Vs Kirby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiCHIabqAA&list=UUuzA0Y8Sc0SRHZ0E0R8CsgQ

Vs Roy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdtRe_fERY&list=UUuzA0Y8Sc0SRHZ0E0R8CsgQ
you always opted for the same tech chase option,Dair. either bait a getup attack,and then dair. or,you can wait for the roll and bair/fair. you seem to have real solid play though.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Here's one of our best local Ness players wrecking a bunch of people for 50 minutes, figured you guys would like to see it.

Though some of the people he plays against aren't exactly...the best. At least I didn't get completely destroyed >_>

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
Calabrel's Ness be like:

Magnet Magnet Magnet Magnet Magnet Magnet

He's fun to watch but he kinda overuses magnet in places where other extenders would be better, and more practical.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Calabrel's Ness be like:

Magnet Magnet Magnet Magnet Magnet Magnet

He's fun to watch but he kinda overuses magnet in places where other extenders would be better, and more practical.
Yea im a fan of flashy play styles, though it looks like he's toned it way down

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
vids from last tourney. got some pretty good stuff on here but of course the stream stopped working my best set.
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/548266137
first set vs a mario. its really choppy so id just skip to last game at 10:00. the rest is unwatchable
the second set is on here http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/548275396
and starts at 2:39:16 against falco. def need some help/feedback if any of you can. what do you guys do against spacies besides chain grabs?

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
choknater, in the falco mu you should try to use youre magnet more for the lasers. if you can wavedash out of it reliably its very good for not allowing him to pin you down. that combo was sick af though. im gonna have to try that later :)

QraQ

Smash Ace
I'll be uploading vids of my Ness soon. Been trying to perfect him for months to finally have an end in sight!
Of course I'll need extensive feedback. I like my playstyle for Ness (light frame SJC all day) but I'm always open to see holes in my play.

@ Bryonato Bryonato You're the last Idaho Ness I have to play to become Top Idaho Ness =D (for what that's worth! lol)

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
choknater, in the falco mu you should try to use youre magnet more for the lasers. if you can wavedash out of it reliably its very good for not allowing him to pin you down. that combo was sick af though. im gonna have to try that later :)
i'll try it. normally i just try to jump and avoid them to retain my mobility. will the magnet hitbox hit him out of his approach if he tries to laser -> dair or something?

keep in mind this was tournament, which makes it scare to experiment. maybe if i played a good falco in more friendlies i'll try it out.

quite a few vids of me on that channel btw

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
i would not recommend approaching him with the magnet. its very easy to get hit out of it and trades with alot of ****. when i played him the magnet traded with a d-smash and i was above him :p. that falco i was playing against in my vidis one of the best pm falco atm so i have alot of practice against good falcos but i still feel like this mu is some bs. the only advice i can give you is knock him off stage and pray to the psi gods that you can get the edge guard

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
no i didn't mean approaching with magnet

i meant if he is approaching with something like laser-dair, will absorbing the laser give us a hitbox good enough to stop his approach?

Bryonato

Green Hat
YOOO! Qraq your Ness is sick dude!
-I can see that you're experimenting with different movement options and I love that. Your movement is certainly good.
-I see you missing a lot of L-Cancels. Not sure if it was just an off day or whatever but not sure if that's something you think you should work on.
-You opt for DJC uair a LOT vs Fox and while it's a great punish I don't think it's best to default to that move every time. Automatically defaulting to it out of 1 uthrow imo sacrifices a lot of extra % you could get my simply going for another throw. Generally vs. spacies I do uthrow -> uthrow -> djc uair -> uthrow -> djc uair -> djc uair -> uthrow -> bair. Usually good for about 90% and a kill on stages with smaller sides. On stages like Yoshi's something you'll see me/Gmaster/Octorok do is uthrow -> WL -> tech chase regrab.
-That said, I really like your punish game even if your combo options could be a tad better. Seriously, this is really good stuff.

QraQ

Smash Ace
YOOO! Qraq your Ness is sick dude!
-I can see that you're experimenting with different movement options and I love that. Your movement is certainly good.
-I see you missing a lot of L-Cancels. Not sure if it was just an off day or whatever but not sure if that's something you think you should work on.
-You opt for DJC uair a LOT vs Fox and while it's a great punish I don't think it's best to default to that move every time. Automatically defaulting to it out of 1 uthrow imo sacrifices a lot of extra % you could get my simply going for another throw. Generally vs. spacies I do uthrow -> uthrow -> djc uair -> uthrow -> djc uair -> djc uair -> uthrow -> bair. Usually good for about 90% and a kill on stages with smaller sides. On stages like Yoshi's something you'll see me/Gmaster/Octorok do is uthrow -> WL -> tech chase regrab.
-That said, I really like your punish game even if your combo options could be a tad better. Seriously, this is really good stuff.
Yeah my L-cancels are shaky when it comes to DJC. Especially when getting hits or shield pressure timing.
Yeah I was opting into djc uair a lot. I use it as a failsafe to not always understanding the best option. Never thought of grabbing out of the hitstun on uair though. I always just choose to keep the hits going rather than reset that combo.
I still trying to find options for uthrow when they DI onto platforms. So far the only consistent follow-up I've gotten is djc dair onto the platform to a tech chase grab or reverse dsmash, for spacies that is.
I've also recently worked psi-magnet into my platform chase game. I usually rise and ride my head right below the platform, then wait to perform a djc aerial on tech. Thoughts?
I appreciate your input and praise, it helps a lot.

Bryonato

Green Hat
yeah magnet has a lot of interesting uses on platforms. I'll be updating my adv. technique guide tonight around 7ish. i talk a lot about platform options. check it out!

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
In addition, you go for djc aerials a lot once you land a pk fire, which racks damage really nicely and is a great option, but some of those times you could go for an easy grab into back throw kill or at least a set up for an edge guard. This is just a little nitpicky thing haha your tech and djc knowledge is really solid, I would just use fair more

QraQ

Smash Ace
In addition, you go for djc aerials a lot once you land a pk fire, which racks damage really nicely and is a great option, but some of those times you could go for an easy grab into back throw kill or at least a set up for an edge guard. This is just a little nitpicky thing haha your tech and djc knowledge is really solid, I would just use fair more
I know this sounds like a moral high-ground or something but I really don't go for grab kills ever. But I should be setting up grabs more after racking djc hits off early pkf. I just get carried away with the dmg output of djc! Takes a stronger man to resist lol.
Regardless, thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I like how you always go for the more ambitious and difficult to execute option though, lol. I should do that just to further my own skills, I take the safe route too much

QraQ

Smash Ace
I like how you always go for the more ambitious and difficult to execute option though, lol. I should do that just to further my own skills, I take the safe route too much
Yeah, I constantly try to push the extent of combo games outside of the already registered options, thanks for noticing.
The safe route is the optimal choice when the match is important. Trying these kinds of options more and more during training makes them safer in competition.

Top Bottom