• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SB Game Fest - Santa Barbara, CA - 04/26/08 (Brawl w/Cash Prizes)

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Introduction

I just wanted to take this opportunity to invite all the smashers in Southern California and further to come on over to the central coast for Santa Barbara's first big gaming event. Santa Barbara Game Fest is SB's largest LAN party with support for over eighty computers and a multitude of console tournaments and other events. Feel free to bring your PC or try out other tournaments as well but this post from here on is specifically for the Smash Brothers Brawl tournament.

Details

Who?

Everybody is invited and we hope to see as many of you as possible.

What?

Singles Tournament | Double Elimination | Best of 3 | $5 w/ Cash Prizes (The more participants, the larger the payouts.)

Friendlies all day until the tournament starts.

When?

April 26, 2008 | Santa Barbara City College Campus Center | 3:00 PM (Doors Open @ Noon)

Where?

Santa Barbara City College (East/Main Campus)
721 Cliff Dr.
Santa Barbara, CA 93109
Google Map

Registration and Match Rules

Registration

Registration will be available at the event. Doors to the event open at Noon. Additionally, look for preregistration through www.sbgamefest.com which will be complete around the middle of this week. This will reserve your spot without going through the hassle on the day of. You'll just show up, show your ID which we'll check against the list and you will pay then. Cash only for the $5 entry fee.

Match Rules
Bracket Type: Double Elimination
Match: Best 2 out of 3
Finals: Best 3 out of 5
Stock: 3
Items: None
Time: 7 minutes

Character Selection
1st Game: Double Blind
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-Pick**

Stage Selection
1st Game: Neutral Stage - If one can not be agreed upon, it will be random from the neutral stage list.
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-Pick**

Time-Out Decisions
1. Most Stock Left
2. Least Amount of Damage
3. 1 Stock Sudden Death

Neutral Stages
1. Final Destination
2. Battle Field
3. Smashville
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Lylat Cruise

Counter-Pick Stages
1. Luigi's Mansion
2. Delfino Plaza
3. Castle Siege
4. Battleship Halberd
5. Frigate Orpheon
6. Brinstar
7. Jungle Japes
8. Pokemon Stadium 1

No Stage may be used twice.

**Losing player may either change their character or select the stage. If they change their character, the winning player selects the stage. Winning player may not switch his character.

Santa Barbara Game Fest Information

Like I said, SB Game Fest is the first of it's kind in Santa Barbara. The LAN party alone supports up to 80 computers and we encourage you to bring your own. We are also providing 40 computers for attendees to use on a first come, first serve basis. PC games include CS, CS: Source, Team Fortress, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and more. In addition to PC gaming, we are having a multitude of tournaments and a casual gaming corner for all your DS, Wii, and Rock Band needs. The first of these tournaments, you've just read about. But they also include Halo 3, Guitar Hero 3, and Street Fighter: Third Strike. We have a lot of room, support from the school, food and drinks, a lounge area, and a view of the ocean from the center. Come hang out on the central coast for one full day of gaming from 12:00PM - 9:00PM, April 26, 2008.

You can find further information at www.sbgamefest.com or on the forums at www.sbvgc.org (Santa Barbara Video Game Club).

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
single elimination, are you serious?

look at the counterpicks
1. Lylat Cruise - should be a neutral
2. Luigi's Mansion -mabye
3. Delfino Plaza - totally fine
4. Castle Siege - totally fine
5. Battleship Halberd - totally fine
6. Pokemon Stadium 2 - NO NO NO NO NO
7. Shadow Moses Island - are you serious? lol
8. Mario Circuit - see shadow moses, 1 grab from dedede and sometimes falco=stock

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
single elimination, are you serious?

look at the counterpicks
1. Lylat Cruise - should be a neutral
2. Luigi's Mansion -mabye
3. Delfino Plaza - totally fine
4. Castle Siege - totally fine
5. Battleship Halberd - totally fine
6. Pokemon Stadium 2 - NO NO NO NO NO
7. Shadow Moses Island - are you serious? lol
8. Mario Circuit - see shadow moses, 1 grab from dedede and sometimes falco=stock
Thanks for the input. I will indeed be moving Lylat Cruise to Neutral. I am in charge of the event as a whole and decided to post the tournament here but Smash is not my specialty. We have a tournament director who's specialty it is but he's out of town this week and I wanted to get it posted on Smashboards far enough in advance for the event.

Anyways, I know Lylat Cruise should be moved to Neutral and I am going to update the original post to reflect this. What stages would you reccomend for the counter-pick besides whats listed as okay. I look forward to hearing your input.

Additionally, I look forward to seeing both of you there and I will update this topic when the preregistration is up.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
it's alright, sorry if i was sharp. i've been to maybe 7 brawl tournaments since the game came out and was a competitive melee player for a while before that (there's some credibility)

First of all, the rule set. 3 stock, 4 takes WAY too long, also make sure there is a 7min time limit on all matches. More importantly, DOUBLE ELIMINATION. There's no way I'm driving up to SB, paying 5 bucks and have to fight DSF first round and then the tournament is over for me. Single elimination is a horrible way to run a tournament.
As for maps:

Neutrals
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1 - this level has caused some controversy. i was at first very wary of it, but after several tournys where it was a neutral, I think its fine as that.

Counterpicks
This is the biggest area of debate, here's what I think should be allowed
Delphino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes (melee) - debatable
Brinstar (melee) - I don't see why not

so what do you guys think.

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
it's alright, sorry if i was sharp. i've been to maybe 7 brawl tournaments since the game came out and was a competitive melee player for a while before that (there's some credibility)

First of all, the rule set. 3 stock, 4 takes WAY too long, also make sure there is a 7min time limit on all matches. More importantly, DOUBLE ELIMINATION. There's no way I'm driving up to SB, paying 5 bucks and have to fight DSF first round and then the tournament is over for me. Single elimination is a horrible way to run a tournament.
As for maps:

Neutrals
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1 - this level has caused some controversy. i was at first very wary of it, but after several tournys where it was a neutral, I think its fine as that.

Counterpicks
This is the biggest area of debate, here's what I think should be allowed
Delphino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes (melee) - debatable
Brinstar (melee) - I don't see why not

so what do you guys think.
I took your reccomendations for removal. I did decide to keep Luigi's Mansion and I added your suggestions.

Also, the reason for the original selection of Single Elimination was a time constraint because we had to start later in the day due to having to use projectors. However, with that said, I just got done negotiating with Audio/Visual and we have secured the usage of four 52" LCD TVs. Because of that, the tournament has been able to be moved back to 3:00PM instead of 6:00PM and the format has been changed to Double Elimination.

Just stressing that the time has been changed to 3:00PM starting and the format to double elimination for anyone who has not reread the edited post.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
sounds good...my hometown is santa maria so itll give me a reason to go home for a weekend

S2

Smash Lord
I'll be there. I'm living in SB right now, so it'll be nice to not have to travel to a tournament.

Just to clarify, the items (including smashballs) are off right? I'm assuming they are, since they are pretty imbalanced.

Your current rules setting looks pretty standard now. Its good to see a tournament run through a school event run with correct rules.

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
I'll be there. I'm living in SB right now, so it'll be nice to not have to travel to a tournament.

Just to clarify, the items (including smashballs) are off right? I'm assuming they are, since they are pretty imbalanced.

Your current rules setting looks pretty standard now. Its good to see a tournament run through a school event run with correct rules.
Yes, all items are off including smash balls.

S2

Smash Lord
Sounds good.

If you guys have time you should do double's as well (with team attack on). But its understandable you don't considering how big this event is.

I'll be there, I'm really looking forward to this. Probably play Warcraft 3 as well.

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, preregistration is up at http://www.sbgamefest.com

Just go to the site, click pre-registration and fill in the info. Check all that apply. You'll receive a confirmation e-mail with an authorized edit link as well. From there, just bring your ID to check in and the cash to pay.

You don't have to pay during preregistration. It just allows you to skip registration and go strait to check in at the event.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
btw...im new to the competitive scene...what does double-blind refer to in terms of character selection??

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
We haven't determined all the games available for open gaming but I wouldn't be surprised to see Melee. Our Brawl tournament director Matt is adamantly in favor of it.

S2

Smash Lord
Well I registered. I'm bringing a friend as well.

For the PC game registration, how does that work? Since all they had was for "bring your own PC". Given my PC weighs a ton and since I'm going primarily for Smash, is the pre-loaded machines first come first serve?

I ask because I'm good at War3 and plan to enter that too, but Smash comes first.

The Game II

Smash Champion
A couple questionz and these might be dealbreakers:

Both related to Mario Kart

I think I read that there was going to be a DS station somewhere. So will there be an opportunity for a Mario Kart DS competition?

Also, is anyone going to have MK Wii? I know it comes out Sunday, but I might get it on Friday, so if you all get it, will you hold a tourney for it?

thanks for the responses

--GCII

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I took so long to respond to the last couple messages but I have been super busy. It's the last week, aka crunch time, and of course a hundred hurdles come up only now. Lol.

But if you get there at 4-5, it shouldn't be a problem. The day is going until 9:00PM. As far as Mario Kart and the DS, everybody has Mario Kart. If you want to get a tournament going, we wholly encourage it and will help you as much as possible.

As far as MK Wii, we talked about this extensively. If we can get a copy of the game on Friday or Saturday rather than Sunday we will for sure be setting up some sort of tournament on the fly. I love Mario Kart but was not optimistic of getting it ahead of time because it comes out the day after the event.

As for the last question, the preloaded machines are first come, first serve. However, if they are full, we will create a waiting list and institute some sort of rotation. There are 40 computers provided by us, preconfigured and preinstalled.

Also, a little bit of other news: We worked with the distributor for the school's arcade machines and have negotiated to get them on free play. Nothing cutting edge but we do have some cool ones like Guilty Gear, SVC Chaos, Tekken, and Dance Dance Revolution. They will all be on free play for the event in order to provide more people with more things to do.

S2

Smash Lord
The only problem with a Mario Kart (Wii) tournament is that no one is going to have any skill at that game, so its basically not a test of skill since no one will be used to the mechanics. DS on the other hand might be interesting.

Also, my friend is probably going to bring Candyland, because we play competitive Candyland at a tournament level. This is probably not going to be endorsed by the tournament staff because technically its not electronic, but if you want to see all the tech skill and mindgames of high level Candyland play, feel free to join.

BTW, this is classic Candyland (late 80's early 90's) for the purists (the one where Plumpy and Lord Licorice still look like they lure in children). We do not play revised Candyland (2000's edition) because its not as deep.

The Game II

Smash Champion
The only problem with a Mario Kart (Wii) tournament is that no one is going to have any skill at that game, so its basically not a test of skill since no one will be used to the mechanics.
No johns. I have the game and so do a lot of people. Matter of fact, I think I'll play it right now.

eh, I thought there'd be an established MKDS tourney, so I guess I won't be going. Maybe next time.

--GCII

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Haha, good games Foop. I couldn't handle the stress. haha. You are good with Wario for sure. I hope we get to play again.

-Babz

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to thank everyone that came. We had a turnout of over 160+ (some unofficial counts had us hitting the 200 attendee mark) people and everything went off without a hitch. By the end, I was practically dead on my feet because I got there at 6:30 to set up but the finals were great and everyone I met from this board and elsewhere was awesome.

I'll get the hundreds of photos and videos (including the finals) up as soon as I can. Also, those last photographs we were taking together were for the local newspaper. I did an interview with them and they are going to talk about me and the volunteers I assembled, the event as a whole, and especially the Smash tournament and it's 50 participants. They said they hadn't seen anything like that before. Especially the crowd of like over a hundred spectators cheering for some game. I am sure your pictures will be featured prominently so I'll post the article as well.

I hope to see everyone next year for Game Fest '09. Plans for it are starting as soon as possible. We'd like to at least double attendance to over 300-400 people and we will be at least doubling the number Smash Stations for next year's big Smash main event.

Well, back to the venue I go to finish tearing everything back down and setting everything else back up.

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Any word on when/where those vids are getting up?

I don't know if any of my matches got taped, but I'd love to have them.
I just managed to track down my firewire connection earlier so I should have it ripped by tonight and converted and online by the weekend some time.

Top Bottom