• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SB Game Fest - Santa Barbara, CA - 04/26/08 (Brawl w/ Cash Prizes)

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Introduction

I just wanted to take this opportunity to invite all the smashers in Southern California and further to come on over to the central coast for Santa Barbara's first big gaming event. Santa Barbara Game Fest is SB's largest LAN party with support for over eighty computers and a multitude of console tournaments and other events. Feel free to bring your PC or try out other tournaments as well but this post from here on is specifically for the Smash Brothers Brawl tournament.

Details

Who?

Everybody is invited and we hope to see as many of you as possible.

What?

Singles Tournament | Double Elimination | Best of 3 | $5 w/ Cash Prizes (The more participants, the larger the payouts.)

Friendlies all day until the tournament starts.

When?

April 26, 2008 | Santa Barbara City College Campus Center | 3:00 PM (Doors Open @ Noon)

Where?

Santa Barbara City College (East/Main Campus)
721 Cliff Dr.
Santa Barbara, CA 93109
Google Map

Registration and Match Rules

Registration

Registration will be available at the event. Doors to the event open at Noon. Additionally, look for preregistration through www.sbgamefest.com which will be complete around the middle of this week. This will reserve your spot without going through the hassle on the day of. You'll just show up, show your ID which we'll check against the list and you will pay then. Cash only for the $5 entry fee.

Match Rules
Bracket Type: Double Elimination
Match: Best 2 out of 3
Finals: Best 3 out of 5
Stock: 3
Items: None

Character Selection
1st Game: Double Blind
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-Pick**
Time: 7 minutes

Stage Selection
1st Game: Neutral Stage - If one can not be agreed upon, it will be random from the neutral stage list.
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-Pick**

Time-Out Decisions
1. Most Stock Left
2. Least Amount of Damage
3. 1 Stock Sudden Death

Neutral Stages
1. Final Destination
2. Battle Field
3. Smashville
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Lylat Cruise
6. Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter-Pick Stages
1. Luigi's Mansion
2. Delfino Plaza
3. Castle Siege
4. Battleship Halberd
5. Frigate Orpheon
6. Brinstar (Melee)
7. Jungle Japes (Melee)

No Stage may be used twice.

**Losing player may either change their character or select the stage. If they change their character, the winning player selects the stage. Winning player may not switch his character.

Santa Barbara Game Fest Information

Like I said, SB Game Fest is the first of it's kind in Santa Barbara. The LAN party alone supports up to 80 computers and we encourage you to bring your own. We are also providing 40 computers for attendees to use on a first come, first serve basis. PC games include CS, CS: Source, Team Fortress, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and more. In addition to PC gaming, we are having a multitude of tournaments and a casual gaming corner for all your DS, Wii, and Rock Band needs. The first of these tournaments, you've just read about. But they also include Halo 3, Guitar Hero 3, and Street Fighter: Third Strike. We have a lot of room, support from the school, food and drinks, a lounge area, and a view of the ocean from the center. Come hang out on the central coast for one full day of gaming from 12:00PM - 9:00PM, April 26, 2008.

You can find further information at www.sbgamefest.com or on the forums at www.sbvgc.org (Santa Barbara Video Game Club).

Eazyseph

Smash Cadet
I'm in.
This will be my first tournament ever!
So make it good, future legend in the making.

~Eazy Duz it

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
I'm in.
This will be my first tournament ever!
So make it good, future legend in the making.

~Eazy Duz it
I'm glad to hear it! I just wanted to make sure you knew that the tournament has been changed to a Double Elimination bracket and starts at 3:00 instead of 6:00 now on Saturday, April 26, 2008. The reason it started so late was due to projectors and glare from the sunset. However, I have secured four LCD 52" TVs from my Audio/Visual department and the tournament times have been moved back to allow for Double Elimination and a more competitive atmosphere.

neo_sporin

Smash Cadet
BLEARGH!!!!!
For the first weekend in like 3 months I am given a saturday shift, and then we have a tournament in my hometown...i hate you all, and you shall perish to my GW key of doom at a later date.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
My three buddies and myself, which I think we are dubbing ourself as "SLO Crew," will be attending. I really hope some competitive brawlers (and recognized brawlers) come.

Will there be video capturing of the semi-finals, winners finals, losers finals, etc? That would be very cool.

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
There will indeed be some sort of video capturing of the semis and finals. Additionally, the TVs are fairly high end so they output to each other and ultimately to a switch so that the finals can be shown on all four 52" LCDs as well as possibly the projector being used for the brackets.

Also, pre-registration is up at www.sbgamefest.com if you'd like to save the hassle and help us gauge interest. Just check all that apply (Bring Your Own Computer, Smash Tournament, etc.) and submit. You just have to check in by showing your ID and paying the $5 at the event.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Is anyone else from smashboards planning on going to this? I'm curious as to what type of competition will be there...

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
I just signed up online and unless something big comes up, I plan on being there! :)

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Had a ton of fun at the tourney—thanks SBCC for putting it on!

I suppose if I had one suggestion, it would be to work a bit harder toward the goal of starting on time ... but everything worked out well in the end. :) Thanks again!

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Yeah, the event went great. At it's peak, we were around 170 people and most things went excellently. The tournament was awesome, the LAN party was packed and the arcade and open play games were a success.

As far as starting on time, that was caused by the fact that we blew up (literally) 8 Xbox 360s and shorted all the power 30min before the event started so it was a cluster****. I was running around trying to fix everything but we managed to only be delayed by an hour which I hope was not too bad for everyone.

The Smash tournament had around 50 players and with the losers bracket, that was a pretty intense battle for $200. I'll have hundreds of pictures, the videos of the finals, and the newspaper article up this week.

Top Bottom