• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SC POWER RANKINGS *Discussion*

Thunder865

Smash Apprentice
Can we... let this thread die? As Devin has illustrated many times, we don't need a Power Ranking, and if we're not careful, this topic is just going to degrade into frantic e-peen waggling, which it unfortunately kinda already has.

"I'm better than <insert person here>" is such a relative, self-centered topic anyway. People get better, people get slack. Why don't we all just say "We're good at this game" and leave it at that?

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
What about me??? There was a tourney last year in like November or something here in North Charleston that had more than 30 people. It was called "Smash Breast Cancer" and it was held at a Best Buy shop. I placed well there (mained Yoshi at them time though). I'm pretty sure SC has good smashers, you guys should know who. I'm sure SC Players really wouldn't care who is better than who. We just want more Smash Scene activity. PR can make people want to be more active and get more Smash Scenes to be known/listed in the PR, which is what SC wants - more activity. I personally don't really care who is better than who in SC, most people in SC shouldn't. We're not that much of a competitive state anyway. I'm confident to think that SC can develop a PR, we just need more tourney hosts and players (we already have some of those good players though). If SC really wants to get a good Smash Scene and to get better, we need to at least have some hype and stuff to make that happen. =D

Area_6

Smash Journeyman
I agree with plasma.

Sc needs something to get hyped. IF its the same old oh Yay's gonna win and dev places second then its no competition.

I wanna hear ppl saying im better than this one and that one and placing MM's at the next tourney what ever is needed for competition.

Example: Yay 5$ MM at plasma's i asked you at Rc but you denied it lets get hyped N****

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Wait a second, lol. When did Bo ever play my Snake in a ditto - ever? I've never played him in a Snake ditto because they're ********, I'm sure he can come and vouch that we've never played a ditto, not that it matters...
lol i was talking about in those doubles at RC's. i saw him out play you on smashville.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Gotta defend my brother here:

I know for a fact that Bo's record against JMan is largely in his favor—don't you remember all those f-smashes you ran into trying to perfect shield that aura **** for the grab? I do. In fact, I think the entire time we were playing at Adam's, he outplaced, all but once.

I think Bo and Crio run even as far as win-loss records go, but Bo does consistently place higher than he does in tournaments. If Brandon took the game seriously, he'd outplay/outplace both of you—I've seen his Falco conquer Sonic time and time again, while his Fox continues to molest Lucario.

If we're looking at raw data, which is what JMan based his first post off of, then Bo definitely has the advantage over you guys. Especially in the new year. Not to mention, he's picked up Snake, so he's going to continue to rise now. We've all seen what switching from a decent character to a top tier character can do for good players. Hard example? ARS's Falcon vs. ARS's Snake.

Not to mention we're all half a decade older than he is, and we all know age has a huge impact on a player's skill level. He's yet to mature into the level of play that comes with age, but given time and a better character, things can't help but look up.

But, like I said—we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the subject of a PR in SC hadn't come up. Since Brandon's around, A6, he can tell you that I put a lot of time/work into getting all of the data together and prepared for our first attempt at this, but it just wasn't enough—and still isn't.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Yeah, SC's never been much for PR. back in Melee days we knew never to try it but someone came out of nowhere with like year old tourney data and made an inaccurate list...

I imagine the situation now is a lot like then, SC is so spread out and not together enough to know everyone's skill enough. Plus, heck, there just aren't enough of you?

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Random note: Who is this Brandom dude, because my name happens to be Brandon too.

But really, I have to agree with Dev now. Maybe eventually, like by the end of the year, we might be able to have a PR. I guess there really aren't enough people and data. We're starting to have more tournaments though, which is a good start.

Do you think that it would be a good idea to have a thread for SC Players to post their tournies results for everyone else to keep track of? Sorta like what some of the characters are doing. It won't be a PR thing, but it would be nice to see the Tourney Results our SC Brethren are getting and who they lose to.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Listen to TRC, he's warning us to learn from the past so that we may not repeat our mistakes in the present!

@Pikmin--Brandon is Criosphinx, he's a random main—plays a little bit of everyone... even Gdorf and Yoshi.

Also, I've got all of the results from all of the SC Brawl tournaments for this year. I haven't missed any yet, and I don't plan to, so I'm just going to keep saving them up and maybe we'll have something to support this kind of movement later on this year—as of now, we just don't have what we need.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I guess the decision for this whole PR thing is that we don't do one as of yet. Possibly in the future, but not for right now.

I still sorta want to do the Tournament Placings/Results idea though, but that's up to you guys. =/

Lareit

Smash Ace
Power rankings even in states with plenty of people to choose from is only about Epeen.

What spot are you. Who did you beat on the top. Who did you move up over.

Waste of time.

Ban snake. He's so boring to play.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Power rankings even in states with plenty of people to choose from is only about Epeen.

What spot are you. Who did you beat on the top. Who did you move up over.

Waste of time.

Ban snake. He's so boring to play.
You, sir, never answer your phone... :(

I been trying to get you back startgate, and get u Mirror's Edge

And no... i don't think brandon beats me with Falco.. .he HAS beeten me... his character that has tourney wise owned me... has been Diddy

And no to Bo as well. Im usually top 5, furthermore, top 3. Bo has beaten me, but Lucario. He's good, and Lucario has the matchup advantage. But i would say Bo and i run pretty even.

Even more to the point... i would delve deeper into ROUNDS vs just placings. Almost always, R3. Were close. Lots of us are. But this is all just to the point

Since were SOOO SMALL, we boil down to who gets seeded where in tournies. Since some of us have "colorful" selections, it largley effects our placings. But hey... what do you get with a 10 man tourney, AMIRIGHT???

What happens when i play ARS Snake, and Dev's CG er... D3 my first two matches??? R3, i likley loose.... :/

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
lolz, Brandon, I've heard about you from some of these guys, I really wanna Brawl you someday. Hope you don't mind Olimar mains. =)

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I agree with plasma.

Sc needs something to get hyped. IF its the same old oh Yay's gonna win and dev places second then its no competition.

I wanna hear ppl saying im better than this one and that one and placing MM's at the next tourney what ever is needed for competition.

Example: Yay 5$ MM at plasma's i asked you at Rc but you denied it lets get hyped N****
I told you I actually don't do money matches. :p I've done a total of two in my entire life, one was with ChuDat and one was with Fullmetal. I don't have to do money matches to get people wanting to beat me more, I just open my mouth and start talking trash...that usually does the trick :D

Area_6

Smash Journeyman
NAH **** THAT lol

me and you in a trash talking money match!

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I, on principle, am always available to MM people. I love them.

Area 6, $1 mm when I see you? (Plasma's tourney maybe?)

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
lololol. I was wondering when this situation would arise.

It's cool, he mains Young Link in melee. lol.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Umm... i could give a rat's *** who (*JMan*) is... my tag has ALWAYS been JMan8891. Not just smash.

Frankly, it would be pretty ******** to change it for that.... >_>

I got by JMan, NOT Jman, NOT J-Man, and NOT J-man. JMan

Im all Sonic, im Atl South... im my own force.

Deal, or step up and change yours... im PS3 JMan8891, any game i play, its JMan8891

Edit:

For teh lulz, are you the Jman who mains Young Link???

Small world, for ever since Melee came out, i mained Link, then switched to Young Link like...3yrs ago.

Went to one tourney at Gamecrazy in Rockford, IL on 07'

Took 4th. It was a no0b tourney. They had items on high... the winner was a mario who spammed them rather than throwing them away.

In friendlies afterwords, i went undefeated. That was back when i was GOOD at Melee, xD

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
so i'll just play brawl and be better then u

then u just be a nobady LOL

O I 4GOT u r a nobody u dont win any big tourneys

i did not want to be a jerk but u asked 4 it

Lareit

Smash Ace

Translated

"So I'll just play brawl and be better then you. Then you will be a nobody, LOL. Oh, I forgot. You're a nobody who doesn't win any large tournaments. I did not want to be a jerk, but you asked for it."

Much easier to read without the ******** between the lines.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American

Then do so. Agsin, i don't CARE about you. Done. Man up...

Butthurt is butthurt >_>

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
And Khoaz has yet to prove anything to me that his Sonic is better... so that idea flies out the window too.
For the most part, I agree with this statement. Neither of us can judge the other since we've yet to encounter each other in tournament, or friendlies (though I personally don't count them) at that. I mean, I've been to one SC tournament so far and a total of 2 in the Southeast (4th at one, 5th at the other).With more results we'll be able to even consider comparing, but not until we've either played each other or play in the same tourney.

Not to mention i was best in the midwest b4 i moved... and there actually is/was a Sonic at UNCC, that came to a few tournies and a few ppl tried to say was better... but seeing as a:) i beat him, b:) i won 2/3 matches, and c:) I placed WELL above him in EVERY tourney.... im better :)
who was this?

Sorry... i take that **** personally... i go all Sonic, all day, and dammit, im the ATL SOUTH BEST!!!
Can't at all argue with this statement (explained above) mainly because we don't have much evidence to argue that I even come close, and because I personally dont know any other sonics here,besides Umby (dont quit him Umby!:( ) and Tenki.

From what I've heard and seen (mainly through old youtube vids. lol) though, Jman plays a legit sonic. :)

N3XUS

Smash Apprentice
SC plays Brawl?...
lol I only looked for possible SC events that would occur around the time of my bro's graduation. I thought the same thing at one time, I'm glad I was wrong.

Even though the idea might be dead, I think you guys should do the power ranking thing. I keep reading how power ranking systems only bring about pissing contests and how it's just a waste of time. Keep in mind that this behavior doesn't come from the PR system, it come from immature players in that area. There are good things that come from PR systems like being able to better assess one's self realistically without bias. I also feel that being on a PR list is like another little accomplishment. It gives players something bigger to strive for instead of just winning/placing at whatever tourney. However, due to the apparent small size of your community, one proving one's self to be the best in SC smash may not be as great of an accomplishment as being the best in CA, FL, or NY but who says you gotta be the biggest scene in the world? Just do you own thing. Long story short, just don't be immature douche bags and use the PR system to grow as smashers......that is all. :)

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
For the most part, I agree with this statement. Neither of us can judge the other since we've yet to encounter each other in tournament, or friendlies (though I personally don't count them) at that. I mean, I've been to one SC tournament so far and a total of 2 in the Southeast (4th at one, 5th at the other).With more results we'll be able to even consider comparing, but not until we've either played each other or play in the same tourney.

who was this?

Can't at all argue with this statement (explained above) mainly because we don't have much evidence to argue that I even come close, and because I personally dont know any other sonics here,besides Umby (dont quit him Umby!:( ) and Tenki.

From what I've heard and seen (mainly through old youtube vids. lol) though, Jman plays a legit sonic. :)
The Sonic in question was Rotimer

And no, i have never seen you play, so don't take it as arrogance, but it DOES piss you off to not get the credit you deserve. I've been putting it down since i came here... Seriously.

Snap peeved me when he said i had to beat you to prove what i have already established. I've nothing to prove was my point. If any, its the other way around

But i heard good things, so im legit amped :)

Top Bottom