• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Scared to get Smash on 3DS XL.

Coolgeigei

Smash Rookie
I really want to get smash, I had the GC version and then the Wii version but sadly I won't be playing WII U ever so it's going to be 3DS.

It's been like 7 years since I touched a console but I'm getting the 3DS literally tomorrow (whichever the current XL version is in Target) and Alpha Sapphire is a lock in for sure and I can get one other game. I want SSB4 but I've read that circle pads are getting broken like no tomorrow when playing that on the 3DS. (I have friends who play it on 3DS tho)

I will try to be careful but I feel like it will break regardless. What do you guys think? Should I still get it? Have yours broken before and how did you fix?

Some people say you shouldn't press downward hard that breaks the connection. Other people say put your thumb solidly in the center so you aren't titling the pad that much. Which one is true or are both true or both bull?

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It only wears and breaks if you're rough with it. I've had my 3ds years before smash and even after getting it and becoming competitively active on 3ds my stick works fine.
Worst thing that's happened to my stick is the adhesive keeping the actual grip cover on it's rod wore out, but you can easily hotfix that with more super glue.

In terms of holding the stick, just don't flick and smash from side to side sporadically from it's neutral position. Guide it.

Coolgeigei

Smash Rookie
It only wears and breaks if you're rough with it. I've had my 3ds years before smash and even after getting it and becoming competitively active on 3ds my stick works fine.
Worst thing that's happened to my stick is the adhesive keeping the actual grip cover on it's rod wore out, but you can easily hotfix that with more super glue.

In terms of holding the stick, just don't flick and smash from side to side sporadically from it's neutral position. Guide it.
Could you elaborate on guiding. So if it's neutral, do I lightly tap or something to get a smash? Or do you mean full 180 degrees from full right to full left smash is a nono?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Could you elaborate on guiding. So if it's neutral, do I lightly tap or something to get a smash? Or do you mean full 180 degrees from full right to full left smash is a nono?
Full 180 wouldn't register, but what I'm referring to is lightly tapping / sliding while keeping your thumb at rest on the stick.
Just get a feel for the stick really.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smash 3ds is the version I play the most so far. However, my old 3ds circle pad did broke eventually, but not really just because of Smash. MK7, Kid Icarus, MH etc… can also wear down the circle pad as well.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Just get a decent refund policy from your store; EB Games typically offers very good warranties for not much money, for example. I wouldn't generally tell someone to skip a great game because they're worried about hardware.

Top Bottom