• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scav's Obsolete Happy Fun Release Date Experiment Scavenger Hunt

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
So I know you poor would-be (will-be!) Brawlers are suffering from a lack of news. So, lets have a little Scav-enger Hunt.

You know all of those Release Date Rumors that Mic hates so much? I want to put them all in one place. There are a lot of retailers and rumor sites out there, so I can't hope to get them all by myself. That's where you all come in.

Post up every link and website you can find regarding Brawl's release date. Articles where "Sakurai Sez," Stores who have a release date to allow preordering, articles speculating on its release... the more unofficial, the better.

Retailers are a good place to start (Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City, Gamestop, Walmart). News sites might have interesting results (IGN, Gamespy, 1up...). Various gaming blogs probably have some rumors. And apparently, Game Informer recently penned Brawl's release as June 1st. Any magazine, website or paper with a release date (March 25th, or 1/15/09, or Q4 2007) will do.

Depending on how much information we get, we can plot a fun little graph to keep track of how wrong everyone is.

Get hunting, and post your links here along with the dates.

Sensai

Smash Master
Neat idea. I won't be contributing (now), but I'm sure that it won't take long for this to fill up.

Maybe later, or definitely if I see any ones that I would think are 'obscure'.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
My official prediction has been and continues to be late-November/early-December. However, if I have to pick a date, I say November 29, 2007. :p

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
1UP says : 06/01/2007

http://www.1up.com/do/search?st=super smash bros brawl

Bestbuy.ca says : 30 Mar/07

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10075836&catid=24348

Bestbuy.com says : 3/15/2007

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...mash+bros+brawl&type=product&id=1142300186624

Futureshop.ca says : March 30, 2007

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10075836&catid=24310

By the way, links or it didn't happen. :D

EDIT: My prediction for the release date is in the winter of 2007.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My official prediction has been and continues to be late-November/early-December. However, if I have to pick a date, I say November 29, 2007. :p
Ssshhh! You're going to start a chain reaction of tons of other personal predictions that aren't even backed by facts!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Just so everyone knows, from here on out you're only allowed to post your own prediction if you post a link to a rumor as well :p

Good stuff so far!

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, Game Informer itself hasn't written down a release date for Brawl. Its parent company, Gamestop, has. In the "Buy it Now" section of gameinformer.com, they simply use the same page from gamestop.com, the one that has June 1st on it. But if you search for Brawl within the Game Informer site and look at the description, the slot for "release date" is still blank.

Here is the Gamestop page I speak of:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000233

Which is used on the game informer site here:

http://store.gameinformer.com/product.asp?product_id=T000233

And here's the actual game informer page with no release date:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/info/info.htm?CS_pid=T000233

KidHellion

Smash Apprentice
Dear god I HOPE it comes out for Summer. I need something to do over the break, and unlocking a bunch of crap in Brawl would definately keep me and my friends enterntained.

Still, I'd have to bet on fall/winter. I'm just not that lucky.

Scav Edit: :mad:

ROYIO

Smash Rookie
I went into EBGames not too long ago and the employee said that he talked to the Nintendo Rep and that he said probably after christmas or around there.

Croco

Smash Lord
I am guessing late winter..
Late November or mid-December.

I can wait.. the longer it takes the more they can put into the game.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Not bad so far at all, guys! We need more information for a decent graph, though. Here are some other ideas for locations:

Nintendo Power
Famitsu
Gamepro
Gamespy
Joystiq

Circuit City
Rhino Games (?)
Toys R Us
Walmart
Target
Costco
Blockbuster
Hollywood Video

Obviously some will be harder than others to dig up information, if there is even any posted :p but I'm interested in digging up some international sites, which is why I need y'alls help. What are Chinese magazines saying about Brawl? French? Canadian? German? Australian? And of course, Japanese?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
1Up claims another June 1st, 2007 release date.

Is it somewhat depressing that I'm more excited to hear an official release date, rather than the actual game itself.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
How would they know a release date if nintendo hasnt said anything...

E3 will reveal all... (hopefully)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Supposedly Shigeru Miyamoto is speaking at some game convention in March.

Though he's not in charge of SSBB, he might mention a thing or two about it.

If not SSBB, then a least SMG.

Black/Light

Smash Master
^^^IDK just how much he is doing in this game but I do know that he has some/ alot of say in it and is working (and has worked in the past 2 games) with Sakurai on Brawl.
I hope he says something about it in March (my birth month).

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64601&page=2
Sakurai states that he has been told that he can say it will release in 07.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/737/737632p1.html
He says "Smash Bros. Brawl will definitely see Japanese release in 2007".

http://www.smashbros.com/en/main.html
He says "All of us on staff are working very hard, but it will be a little while longer before you can play it!"
(Which, if it comes out in Q4, is a VERY bad use of the words "a little while".)

Vibratic

Smash Cadet
http://press.nintendo.com

The very first source on the internet to have SSBB's release date is going to be Nintendo's press site. But you need a nintendo-issued account to get in.

And since that says TBA (no, I will not tell the date once they do post one) then I can guarantee all sites are only guesses.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
And since that says TBA (no, I will not tell the date once they do post one) then I can guarantee all sites are only guesses.
We already know that-- if you read the first post, Scav said this was basically just to kill time until then. And so we can laugh at the fact that half the internet is ********.

Vibratic

Smash Cadet
We already know that-- if you read the first post, Scav said this was basically just to kill time until then. And so we can laugh at the fact that half the internet is ********.
Sounds like a good plan!

I must have missed that in the first post.

Zink

Smash Champion
Nintendo Power
TBA, I read the latest one.
lol I can't read Japanese
Brawl don exits!
TBA 2007
No date mentioned.
Circuit City
SSBB don exits!
Rhino Games (?)
Subsidiary of Gamestop.
Toys R Us
Super Smash BB don exits!
Smash Brawl Super Brothers don exits!
BBSS don exits!
SBSB don exits!
Blockbuster
Blockbuster's video games thing, Gamerush, is unsearchable and presumably unhelpful for unreleased games.
Hollywood Video
No Brawl.
As you can see, amny of them refused to create an entry for Brawl, presumably to aviod commiting to a date.
Do I win the Internet?
Oh, oops, sorry Scav, I kinda killed the entertainment for the rest of the year. Heh.

iharfor

Smash Journeyman
I know we are supposed to have links that show possible release dates, but I have a question and instead of making a new thread and have Mic or Scav lecture us once again I'll ask it here. Do you think we will get an official release date during the GDC 2007? So I'm guess I'm looking for a release date for the release date.

And just to make the Mods happy

Amazon says: June 30, 2007

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-Wii/dp/B000E6BVOE

And yes, I know amazon was already posted.

BaconXBits

Smash Rookie
The most recent issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly has Brawl and Galaxy in the Fall 07 category. Dunno whether to trust them, it's only one source.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Zink, you've earned 2.5 internet cookies :p great work!

iHarfor: it's all speculation at this point. The thing is, even getting an official release date at this point wouldn't be all that reliable. After all, we had an official date for Zelda for going on 2 years.

Frankly, I don't think we'll get one at GDC. Maybe at the "new" E3.

Wrench

Smash Apprentice
HA! I GOT TO KMART.COM FIRST! AND THEY HAVE NOTHING!
I'd like the game to come out in summer, but do games sell better during school years?

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to take back what I said about Game Informer not having a release date set. Just read the latest issue, and the date is indeed set at June 1st, 2007. Why GI would do this is beyond me. Usually it says TBA for games with no official release date. I guess it might have to do with the fact that Gamestop has the release date listed at June 1st. Still, as great as a summer release would be, it's most likely speculation.

oddgloat

Smash Cadet
I was just checkin the web today for the release date because I pre-ordered brawl from best buy and it said 3/15/07. I know someone said that the stores are just "estimating" that as the date, but don't you think that they might have a little better idea than gaming sites, as they are planning on receiving shipments and satisfying customer requests (such as the pre-order)? One would suspect that they are in touch with the game manufacturers so that they can set an arbitrary date and not just blindly guess. If not, at least it's helping me sleep at night. :urg:

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I was just checkin the web today for the release date because I pre-ordered brawl from best buy and it said 3/15/07. I know someone said that the stores are just "estimating" that as the date, but don't you think that they might have a little better idea than gaming sites, as they are planning on receiving shipments and satisfying customer requests (such as the pre-order)? One would suspect that they are in touch with the game manufacturers so that they can set an arbitrary date and not just blindly guess. If not, at least it's helping me sleep at night. :urg:
Heheh. They're just guessing a date so they can start pre-orders. With this popular a game, those five dollar bills start to add up.

And...um...Game*****...I mean Gamefaqs says TBA 2007 everywhere.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
It won't come out in March anyway, Nintendo just released their Q1 schedule, and no big Nintendo names are there, let alone Smash Bros. Now, at the very earliest , it will be a Summer release.

And I may as well ask this here: Has Smash Bros. Brawl even been confirmed for 2007 in the U.S.? I know Sakurai said it would definately be ready for Japan in 2007, but does that mean early 2008 is a possibility for the U.S.?

Eaode

Smash Champion
It won't come out in March anyway, Nintendo just released their Q1 schedule, and no big Nintendo names are there, let alone Smash Bros. Now, at the very earliest , it will be a Summer release.

And I may as well ask this here: Has Smash Bros. Brawl even been confirmed for 2007 in the U.S.? I know Sakurai said it would definately be ready for Japan in 2007, but does that mean early 2008 is a possibility for the U.S.?
that would suck, hard.

BTW, weren't MP3 and SMG supposed to be on the Q1 schedule?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
.And I may as well ask this here: Has Smash Bros. Brawl even been confirmed for 2007 in the U.S.? I know Sakurai said it would definately be ready for Japan in 2007, but does that mean early 2008 is a possibility for the U.S.?
I don't think it has been confirmed that US gets it in 2007 but if we look at a few things such as:
-SSBM came out in Japan with all the English stuff in it and was released in the US only 2-3 weeks after the Japanese version.
-A lot of Nintendo games are coming out in the US within a month or two after the Japanese date. (Mind you TP and the Wii came out in the US first.)
-Mr. Sakurai has mentioned that he's taking all the regions (at least for Japanese exclusive characters) into consideration when picking characters so we know he's concious of the popularity everywhere.
-In general, games take a shorter amount of time to localize nowadays anyways.
-Also, the SSBB site has been updating simultaneously for the English and Japanese sides. Which I read as having something like the SSBM near simultaneous launch.

But, alas, 2008 is a slight possibility for the US.

that would suck, hard.

BTW, weren't MP3 and SMG supposed to be on the Q1 schedule?
MP3 and SMG are rumored to have been pushed back to later in 2007. MP3 went from being a lauch title to first quarter and now it's TBA 2007 though I believe it is still supposed to be coming out before SMG and SSBB. SMG was supposed to be out before March 31st but now it seems to have been taken off that list and is TBA as well.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Do you think we will get an official release date during the GDC 2007?
Like Scav said, even if Nintendo of Japan themselves gave us a release date I wouldn't trust it. You wouldn't either if you've been a Nintendo fan for the last 15 years. You learn to count your blessings when games eventually ARE released.

AxemRed said:
Has Smash Bros. Brawl even been confirmed for 2007 in the U.S.?
Actually, come to think of it, I've never seen it explicitly stated that it will come out in '07 in the US. '08 MAY still be a possibility for us.

That said, it is EXTREMELY unlikely. The holiday season moves a LOT of merchandise each year in the United States, and that definitely includes video games. When was the last major Nintendo release you can think of that came out in the first quarter of a year? Nintendo plans major releases for the holiday season... or they push it back until the NEXT holiday season. Brawl is definitely coming out this year for us.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Two things I don't have the time to check:

The English versions of the Brawl trailers. I'm quite sure either one or both of them say 2007.

I'm also quite sureit's been confirmed repeatedly that they're going for a nearly simultaneous launch worldwide. That being said, it'd be redundant to state "yes, that means US 2007, PAL 2007, Japan 2007, etc.".

Neither of those things I have the time to source right now though.

Top Bottom