• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scribblenauts 2 FEATURES AND INFO CONFIRMED

mysticwolf

Smash Journeyman
Scribblenauts was a breakthrough in handheld gaming. The sequel will be even better, with hundreds of new words, adjectives, better controls, and better levels.

The Scribblenauts sequel features over 10,000 adjectives that you can use to modify objects. Examples: Obese cow. Petrified cow. Burning cow. Robotic cow. You can even combine them to get an obese, petrified, burning, robotic cow. Or you could create an undead, hungry, robotic, flying, feline, winged, frozen tree. Also, typing "furious pear" will result in a pear that will actually attack Maxwell. "Supersonic tomato" creates a tomato that flies around the screen.

In the previous game, if you wrote "bridge," it would normally be too short to be useful.. Now you can write "long bridge."

If you want to ride a kraken through the ocean but don't want to get devoured, you can create a "friendly kraken."

Another feature called the Adjective Toolbar will remember what adjectives you've used and allow you to select from the list any time you want, which saves you the time of repeatedly writing adjectives that you've already used.

Here is another example of the use of adjectives: In one level, you must rescue a chocolate starite before it eaten by sugar-craving kids.

The use of adjectives allows more interaction between objects. "You could write 'magnetic tree' and 'metallic skunk' and then they would be attracted to each other instantly," says Scribblenauts creative director Jeremiah Slaczka.

Jeremiah also says that he wants to make an arcade machine that you can actually play.

120 all-new levels. The first Scribblenauts had 220 levels. Instead, the New Scribblenauts has levels that are much more in depth. For example, in one level Maxwell must sneak into a formal dance, meet up with his contact to get a key card, disable a security camera and deal with the guards, gather loot from a safe, and then make a clean getaway (all in one level). A new feature called the Universal Feedback System tells you if you've completed objectives or not. The levels will no longer be divided between Puzzle and Action. Instead, they will be mixed together, with a much stronger emphasis on the puzzle-solving types, since those are the levels that encourage the most creativity and diverse item use.

In the sequel, the levels will no longer be divided into themed worlds. The developers now feel that the themes limited level creation.

Also there is a much better level editor, allowing you to make levels completely from scratch. You can also make puzzle levels. In the previous game, you could only make action levels.

Minor details and fixes that make the previous game better. For example, the jetpack no longer runs out of fuel, and you don't need to wait to recharge it. You can now load many objects, like hamsters, into a cannon.

You may be familiar with the Scribblenauts title screen. It allows you to freely mess around and create whatever you want, without any objective or limits. In the sequel, the game will automatically save whatever you have on the title screen. If you have a blue, lycanthropic ambulance on the title screen when you turn the game off, that same blue, lycanthropic ambulance will be there when you turn the game back on.

Improved controls: There are now two control schemes. You can move Maxwell directly using the control pad, and use the touch screen to move the camera and do stuff with objects. Or you can use the previous control scheme, but improved. He wont move when you don't want him to, and you can use a button on the screen to automatically snap the camera back to Max.

Objects have more weight, so Max won't accidently knock them over.

You can attatch glue and ropes to any part of an object or the environment, instead of only at specific points.

The "par" system has been removed. The developers thought that it reduced the players' creativity.

Many more merits (eg. "Use a sea animal as a vehicle") have been added.

Also added is an optional hint system.

There will be more stuff to purchase, like new playable avatars.

The Scribblenauts sequel is currently scheduled to be released fall 2010.

SOURCE: Nintendo Power Volume 253

Citation:

Nintendo Power Apr. 2010: 46-51. Print

Here's a link to some Scribblenauts 2 screenshots:

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/gamescreens.php?id=40824

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Is there an actual game this time or is it just a toolbox again?

Tacel

Smash Lord
It looks and sounds amazing.

I'm looking forward to a rainbow chainsaw.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
you'd be surprised as to how many challenges in the first game can be completed with the following tools:

Death - kill off stuff
Dragon - kill off bigger stuff
Unicorn or Helicopter - to fly
Grappling Hook - to grab and carry stuff
Dynamite or bomb + fire - once in a while explosive.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I was really excited for the first game, and then, after a week with it, I realized the game was basically just a game engine demo. It really wasn't even that fun.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Ouch.

And I hope you can actually move your character more easily in this game. I hated only using the touch screen to control Max.
Dont get me started about that poop...

There's a dragon in a pit about a screen away from me, I don't want to go closer otherwise i'm dead, (obviously). I spawn a bomb and drop it beside the dragon. Now I type up a match, which is a small object, and just as I proceed to grabbing it to drop on the bomb, the screen moves back to max causing me to miss the match and then it interprets it as me telling max to go there causing him to jump into the pit with the dragon...

I cannot tell you how many times the screen moves away right when i'm going to grab something only to have maxwell move and get himself into a load of bullocks.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
This was by the people who made Drawn To Life, right?

At least that game played remotely well.

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
I was really excited for the first game, and then, after a week with it, I realized the game was basically just a game engine demo. It really wasn't even that fun.
I know,right? Scribblenauts was so boring. When I play scribblenauts the only thing I do is use time machine or teleporter and that's it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I know,right? Scribblenauts was so boring. When I play scribblenauts the only thing I do is use time machine or teleporter and that's it.
The boring part came in the realization that the puzzles were made easy do you can solve then in "creative" ways. Unfortunately, it will become quickly apparent that there are a set number of ways. So, I get the quick sense of being overwhelmed and underwhelmed.

Finally, sometimes items just would react the same way everytime.

I'm not really interested enough to give them a second chance.

Alzi

Smash Master
They should do one on wii kinda with the same graphics as A boy and His blob on wii.

Would look pretty cool but then controls would be a issue once again.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
They should do one on wii kinda with the same graphics as A boy and His blob on wii.

Would look pretty cool but then controls would be a issue once again.
Biggest issue I'd see would be typing. On the DS, it wasn't that bad, but typing everything with the WiiMote would get old fast.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
that's when you plug in a wireless keyboard. it made my life a lot easier when i plugged in my old wireless keyboard into the ps3 to PM people

Soda_POP

Smash Rookie
Sounds very interesting. All the changes listed seem to be for the better. With the new adjective system it should be a lot better then the first one was.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Eh, I liked Scribblenauts, it was clunky but certainly interesting.

Scribblenauts has a ****load of potential to be an amazing game, so let's hope things turn out right this time round.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I actually liked the first game.

Though most of the time I was either

A. typing up a nuke
B. typing up the swine flu (yes you can type swine flu and a germ pops up :p)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Anyone here get the game? I did, and I'm loving it so far.

Being able to control Maxwell with the d-pad is a great addition and I love using adjectives.

@ Fuelbi: I always type 'nuke' too. xD

Top Bottom