• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scribblenauts

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Falcon Punch?, "YOU MUST RECOVER!!!?", I wonder if any pokemon or video game characters will appear? If you could call upon Kratos, all the chalenges would be easy.
They already said you won't be able to summon anything that's copyrighted.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Some guys at neoGAF decided to make a representation of characters that didn't get into the game. Beware 56k'ers for this is really, really, large. And awesome.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There's no Medic in there. Love the spy, Optimus and L4D ones.

and don't quote a huge picture just to post a one liner.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
When I first saw the title, I thought it was about astronauts.

This looks genius though.

Hope it can meet expectations.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
It makes me wonder what word you use to summon a light saber. Light Saber, Beam sword, and Beam Katana are already copyrighted intellectual property, but you know there's got to be a light saber word somewhere because it's Scribblenauts.

D

Deleted member

Why aren't more people paying attention to this revolutionary game?

Darkurai

Smash Master
This game has the best ESRB summary ever.

Rating summary: This is a puzzle game in which players navigate a series of traps, puzzles, and enemies to collect stars scattered throughout the colorful levels. Players have the ability to summon different objects by writing/typing in the word (e.g., bike, spaceship, lion) and watching it come to life. If multiple words are entered in a sequence, different whimsical scenarios can be triggered: a bicycle can be used to jump over a baby; a bulldozer can clear away a shark; and cabbage can be fed to dinosaurs. Players can elect to summon "cartoony" versions of bats, bombs, guns, and flamethrowers. These types of items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items (e.g., a club can be used to hit an animal; steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions; rockets can be lobbed at a man). These triggered animations are minimally depicted and are usually accompanied by popping, musical sound effects; bright, star-shaped flashes; or small puffs of smoke. If players wish to, they may type in the word vomit, which causes a beige-colored lump to appear on the screen.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Why aren't more people paying attention to this revolutionary game?
I dunno. Maybe because it's in the same vein as Drawn to Life?

It needs a strong marketting push. Advertisements involving robot zombie squashing with the dinosaur you got with your time machine, a war between Pirates and Ninjas, and a Light Saber duel against a Narwhal.

This game has the best ESRB summary ever.
Yes, I noticed that.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Honestly, I think this game will be fairly niché. I have shown non-gamers and casuals, and they thought it was cool but unappealing. I think the issue is A. lack of solid marketing that will ramp up soon, and B. the odd premise.

Hopefully, it works out because it looks cool.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Honestly, I think this game will be fairly niché. I have shown non-gamers and casuals, and they thought it was cool but unappealing. I think the issue is A. lack of solid marketing that will ramp up soon, and B. the odd premise.

Niche? I guess.

I agree with both marketting and odd premise being an issue. Personally, I think the solution is to make it a mainstream title. Scribblenauts has everything, and thus, can be made mainstream by the virtue of a huge object library. However, getting a star out of a tree using anything you can think of is boring sounding, it is the job of marketting to show that anything mean Ninjas, robotic dinosaurs, God, and a nuclear warhead.

Personally, I would strap the nuke to the robot dinosaur, have the ninjas attack, and summon God to protect me when the bomb goes off which gets the star out of the tree.

Was Drawn to Life niche?

Darkurai

Smash Master

Are you sure it's not just the people you've shown it to?

Everyone I've shown it too has loved it. Though I suppose it could just be the people I've shown it to.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
http://kotaku.com/5312263/how-about-scribblenauts-on-other-platforms-eh - THIS could really open the game up.

PC gamers and iPhone users are generally more open to new and inventive ideas. I could easily see this being a hit with those two platforms. Nothing confirmed though.
iPhone users are generally open to new and inventive $2 ideas. Are there any (popular) iPhone games in the $30 range?

Although I do agree that making the game as available as possible will help.

So, how about a list of things to test in Scribblenauts on the first post? Personally, I want to try:

Awesome Sauce
All Your Bases are Taken
Keyboard Cat
Light Saber (Curious as to how the copyright was circumvented)
Narwhal
Shoop Da Whoop
It's over 9000
It's a trap
Internet
Failboat
Maxwell
Starite
EDIT: Post 217
Neogaf
Everything

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I hope 5th Cell stays on the DS only thing they've been doing so far. But hey, if it makes money, there's no reason to stop them on other platforms. Sadly, this is the game that is making many people want a DS. Without it being exclusive, the DS gets the bottom end of the deal...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
So, how about a list of things to test in Scribblenauts on the first post? Personally, I want to try:

Awesome Sauce
All Your Bases are Taken
Keyboard Cat
Light Saber (Curious as to how the copyright was circumvented)
Narwhal
Shoop Da Whoop
It's over 9000
It's a trap
Internet
Failboat
Maxwell
Starite
EDIT: Post 217
Neogaf
Everything
I'm going to try:

Cthulu+Unicycle+Bazooka

Ninja+Narwal+Arm Cannon

Chupacabra+Butterfly Knife+Baby+Brass Knuckles

Other than combinations, I'm gonna see if they have every Yokai in this game.

E:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ds/scribb...s/a-2009071010352125064/g-2008121016220156089

LEEROY JENKINS, RICK ASTLEY AND GIANT ENEMY CRAB CONFIRMED! :O

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
I'm gonna try:

SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP
SHOOP DA WHOOP

Did I say SHOOP DA WHOOP?

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Wow Mic showed this to me a few days ago and it looks awesome, It's so different as in it encourages you to be extremely imaginative. I don't often look forward to games but this I am eagerly awaiting. I even saw someone spawn chuck norris and a roflcopter.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking forward to the level building because you could make things act differnently than they normally do. Example: A bear can eat a plane. I'm probably going to make the American Revolution as my first level, what are you guys going to make?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to the level building because you could make things act differnently than they normally do. Example: A bear can eat a plane. I'm probably going to make the American Revolution as my first level, what are you guys going to make?
I am going to make God and Death protect eachother and kill Maxwell. Then I'm going to glue the starite to Death.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wouldn't someone be able to just walk up to death and take the starite? You should also have enemies that aren't damaged by normal weapons.
I couldn't think of any enemies that would be tougher than God and Death. I was kind of hoping that you wouldn't be able to take the starite until you killed Death and God, and couldn't think of a way to make that condition otherwise with my knowledge of the level editor. If God and Death are merely between you and the starite, you could just jet-pack over them.

Idea number 2: You put a black hole between the Starite and Maxwell. You anchor both maxwell and the starite to the stage, so that no one complains about insta-deaths.

Top Bottom