• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SCSA West Coast Circuit 5 (1/30/10) Results on first page and THANKS FOR COMING

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
hey hey, some SD folk represented at SCSA #4. but I have two midterms next week so I think I'm going to sit this one out (and i think i was the best bet for a ride for some UCSD people)

-sunny
yeah pnoy. i think hes going to the next one .. if hes not lazy

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
oh my bad lol i dont know a whole lot of the ucsd smashers. the only ones i know are like.. jun and george lol

Powered-By-Sex

Smash Apprentice
I'm one of the UCSD smashers that came to the last SCSA.

Some food for thought.. you guys can bash if you want but..

We all want to represent SD in some way, but some of us have midterms and other stuff. But mainly I want to address something.

The last SCSA was by far one of the worst tournaments I've ever gone to. The power outage, the giant *** delay, hell... grand finals didn't even finish.. what's to say this won't happen again?

Travelling all the way to Irvine isn't that big of a deal, but in all seriousness, why is the venue fee so ridiculously expensive when it's subpar to the Winter Game Fest venue? I really doubt renting a venue for a day costs that much. If a minimum of 100 players come for both melee/brawl, you guys are pocketing $1000, which I doubt will all go towards the venue. Food for thought.. don't flame me too bad. Just being honest.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Yup definitely some discrepancy going on here

Champ says venue is over $1000 and 10 dollar venue fee will barely cover it
Venue changes to something that is said to be $500 or less
Nezumi posts that $10 venue venue fee will barely cover it

Not saying Nezumi is lying... but if the cost gets cut in half... the price should be cut proportionally

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
For people concerned about the math:

we paid $750 for our new venue, the same as the original cost of the burbank hotel. The hotel decided at the last minute they were going to charge us an additional $400 to hire security guards because the event catered to people under 18 years old. They also decided they'd kick us out at 9pm because of minors being present and curfews. I don't know about you guys, but coming up with a spare $1150 is not easy.... even coming up with $750 is not easy. So I understand you all assume we're trying to steal from the community like every other big tournament... but I don't know how to better assure you it's not the case.

if we were to make venue fee $5, we'd need about 150 people in attendance to break even with the cost of the venue. (and don't forget there are a bunch of discounts available that have to be subtracted, so more like 180+)

Since we cannot know for sure how many people will be attending, this is a gamble we've made, trying to get a better venue to suit the communities needs. Though we know $10 is a lot to ask, I know people who've spent much more for far worse venues. hell, I had to pay $75 to spectate at OC3 with ammonium on the shelves.....

I know times are hard, and we're sorry if any of you find this unreasonable, but the venue fee is going to be $10. If you all can come to an agreement about lowering the singles and doubles costs for melee, then we're fine with that as I explained in an earlier post but venue fee has to be what it is.

Sorry, and hope this has clarified some things for everyone.

SNG

Smash Journeyman
why don't some of you just call the place and ask them how much the average venue costs for one day? and then you guys can make your call on the high venue fee.

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
why don't some of you just call the place and ask them how much the average venue costs for one day? and then you guys can make your call on the high venue fee.
yes you're all welcome to call the place and ask how much we're paying, or I'd be happy to show you the receipt and contract.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
People should really stop *****ing about the venue fee. It is what it is, and it's not going to change. It's already said that the money is going be used to pay off the venue. And if people still think it's expensive, then why not contribute a bring a full set up? Otherwise, shut the **** up and pay the full venue like everyone else.

Thanks for being upfront and honest Clair. Really appreciate the great venue.

The tourney is gonna ****.

Edit: Adam, I'll MM your Marth for 5$.

Charoo

Smash Champion
i miss the old days where we had 5v5 crew battles. It was so much pride and every1 go crazy for stuff. Maybe I'll make it an event for MJ2

so yeah, I apologize for all the fuzz and I hope people can still make it. It's going to be fun and Sheridan and I will make sure it's gonna be good

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
People should really stop *****ing about the venue fee. It is what it is, and it's not going to change. It's already said that the money is going be used to pay off the venue. And if people still think it's expensive, then why not contribute a bring a full set up? Otherwise, shut the **** up and pay the full venue like everyone else.

Thanks for being upfront and honest Clair. Really appreciate the great venue.

The tourney is gonna ****.

Edit: Adam, I'll MM your Marth for 5$.
Nobody is really complaining anymore. You're just adding fuel to the fire.:urg:

Adam M!

Smash Lord
hav u taken boxing classes b4? cuz i'd do it unless you've taken the classes, I'd get ****ed up XD
nah, just been working out a lot. in a couple weeks i'll have some headgear tho, which will be safe whether i eff you up or not =P.

come on michael why dont you come get at my fox too =)

or mm my falco for $3 (less price cuz you'll win, but i really like that matchup)

i don't think i mentioned this but i will only do mms according to the following rules:

1. pound 4 ruleset
OR
2. neutrals only (stage striking)

im never playing on dumb stages like corneria/brinstar/rainbow cruise/poke floats again.

as long as lucky/lovage/macd/kouryuu/jdm/squidster/s2j/stabbed agree with that then it's all good!

also champ, im not entering anything so i won't have to pay venue, right? but i will be bringing a setup just so my mms don't slow down the tourny =P

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
P i'd take you up on your noob mms, but im not going to SCSA 5. if MJ2 is in irvine i'll most likely be up. if youre going to MJ2, i'll get at your falco or something then if youre down

JDM

Smash Champion
Fox(me) vs Marth

1st map its FoD and I reset. 2nd map goes to Yoshis.

Fox(me) vs Puff

1st map is FD and I reset. 2nd map goes to Dreamland.

Pretty gay imo.

pockyD

Smash Legend
basically, when game 1 is "randomly" selected, the random result can have a drastic effect

just for the sake of explanation, consider how yoshi's story and dreamland are typically complete opposites playstyle-wise; however, they are both equally likely to come up on random... now why should effectively the roll of a dice have a chance to determine the outcome of a close set?

GSUB

Smash Lord
It's in place because we all know how important it is to win that first game (because then they counter-pick, then you counter-pick, and then win).

So stage-striking starts the first round on THE MOST EVEN STAGE for the two of you (on a stage that you are both either okay with or don't hate).

Which is usually why it ends up on Battlefield. (ex. Marth vs Falcon: Marth takes off FD, Falcon takes off Yoshi's, Marth takes off Dreamland, Falcon takes off FoD: Left with Battlefield)

also eliminates the "randomness" factor

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
because the outcome is determined by the end (people's counterpicks, etc) and not the first stage. i can see from anthony's post how you can just get gayed by the random stage after resetting. its nice getting everyones views of it

edit: my comment is directed at pocky

pockyD

Smash Legend
the CP system used for games 2 and 3 is geared towards providing the CP-er with an advantage - game 1 is the only game where "fair" is a goal, I don't know the actual numbers so I'm making these up, but I'm guessing that probably 95% of the time, whoever wins game 1 wins the set and at least 70-80% of the time, the winner of a 2-1 set was the player who won game 1

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i see. the only problem i see in what youre saying is that theres no guarantee that you'll win on your cp

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't see why that's a problem specific to this system (or even a problem at all)

stage striking isn't perfect; it's just better than the random system

Top Bottom