• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Second Jump Properties

ethadream

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow Yoshi players! This is my first post, but by no means am I not apt at Brawl. I recently became obsessed with Yoshi when I played Yoshi's Island DS. Obviously, he is way cool in Brawl. So let's get to the point, shall we?

Back in Melee, we could cancel the double jump, resulting in fast and long-ranged aerials. This is gone in Brawl. I realize that people have begun to invesitgate the new opportunities of NOT being able to cancel the double jump, for instance:

The rising aerials, especaily Nair, can be deadly. Since diminishing returns have been greatly buffed up in Brawl, staple moves like Nair and Bair becomes comboing moves after a while. With rising aerials, Yoshi (and Ness and Lucas) might be able to combo like no tomorrow.

I once pulled off an impromptou combo: Egg Lay, timed it (luck mostly, :p), up-tilt, sh Uair, jump Uair, double jump Uair ---> pretty standard juggling, even for other character. The point here is: I was still gaining height. I lost control though and didn't get the follow-up Fair.

Also, I noticed, (I apologize if someone has posted this before), that after Yoshi's second jump, his fall speed drastically decreases - you can even see his stubby arms flapping about. This, along with rising Eggs, can easily trick opponents.

On the ground, Yoshi's Egg can put pressure from opponents far away. However, how can Yoshi handle a situation in which the opponent is close, but not close enough to attack directly, and not far enough to Egg Toss? What about a RAR tail whips? Maybe an Egg Lay just for the heck of it.

Speaking of Egg Lay, I need to try double jump Egg Lay, wonder what that would turn out. So what do you guys think of the potential of Yoshi's second jump, or his air game in general? Also, what's his potential on the ground?

Hopefully we can harness the full potential of Yoshi in order to embarass the enemy while they falter in our tongues!

Until then,

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Welcome! The Yoshi boards can get slow : )...........

HEHEHE.. anyways, on the ground I abuse tilts. Ftilt especially and dtilt has more range now... or well it seems. His smashes are also fast and have decent knockback. Dsmash suffered though. Usmash is a great launcher and Fsmash has KO power. All have fast startup time. Try egg roll now and then.. it's a lot better and can get you a quick 20% or more sometimes.

In the air.. just a few things for now. People I think are doing RAR bair to pivot grab. I feel like that's a great answer to bair to utilt or whatever you do out of bair. This is also known but I jump off of stage when someone is trying to get back.. without DJC you can aerial them as they try to get the ledge. I personally like to chase them off stage and DJ nair them and land safely back on stage. It's pretty effective, especially since Yoshi has some super armor in his second jump. That strategy is actually from the Yoshi Combo vid someone made if you haven't heard/seen it yet.

Uhhhhh also, I've been experimenting with egg lay as well. If you're facing one direction and you are falling/floating down, tap the opposite direction and then b. You'll do an egg lay facing that direction. I don't know if this is Melee old, but it's useful sometimes. Keeps him unpredictable.

Top Bottom