• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for Rosalina

DatChrizma

Smash Rookie
I really need help with rushdown characters and just characters that are fast in general. I've heard luigi is a good choice, but I don't really like him. If anyone could help me out that would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Luigi is a good choice, but I personally use Captain Falcon as a secondary. Because he is a zone breaker, it helps me with rush down characters.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
Rosalina's worst matchup is Yoshi. Pikachu is also very problematic simply because he's a better character and his advantages aren't called into question by Rosalina. Anything else you can power through (including Sheik).

There's no counter to Pikachu, but I've heard Yoshi has a very tough time with Captain Falcon, so I'd agree with the above poster. He's also easy to use outside of positioning (he's too damn fast), which makes him definitely appealing.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
First, I like your spunk. Second, your argument doesn't negate his statement. Third, this thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-match-up-analysis-r2-yoshi.404697/) says otherwise.
It's a weird matchup. Both sides think they have it bad. I'll see if I could find a thread where Yoshi mains are talking about it.

EDIT:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-nose-knows-yoshi-mu-portal.371672/page-7

Ya Its this. Just look at the bottom of page 7 and most of page 8.

EDIT 2:

I found another one. Both sides think it's negative.

http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-match-up-analysis-r2-yoshi.404697/#post-19368557

Wait... that's the one you gave a link to......... sorry... I guess? IDK I'm knew.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It's a weird matchup. Both sides think they have it bad. I'll see if I could find a thread where Yoshi mains are talking about it.

EDIT:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-nose-knows-yoshi-mu-portal.371672/page-7

Ya Its this. Just look at the bottom of page 7 and most of page 8.

EDIT 2:

I found another one. Both sides think it's negative.

http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-match-up-analysis-r2-yoshi.404697/#post-19368557

Wait... that's the one you gave a link to......... sorry... I guess? IDK I'm knew.
It's all good. Thanks for posting that first link. It's interesting to think both sides have a disadvantage. Makes me wonder if this match up is actually even and it depends more on the opponents skill then anything inherent to each character.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
I think it's pretty close to even too. Whether people think it's (usually slightly) advantageous or disadvantageous seems to depend on personal experience, I'm happy calling it even in light of the differing opinions.

That said, in regard's to OP's question, given Rosa's quite a top tier, she only struggles vs a select few characters. So a good secondary is either one of those above her (like sheik), or characters that cover matchups you personally find difficult or aren't good at. I think the best choice for a secondary varies from person to person for Rosa

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
im trying to pick a secondary, for me its between dark pit, sonic, and marth. Who would be best?

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
just out of curiosity why do you guys say sonic? how does he do against zss,sheik, and pikachu? I find those the most important mu`s to worry about. I like DP because he has an actual reflector and has quite a few similarities to rosa with all his disjointed hitboxes, good recovery that doesnt have hitbox, zoner.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
just out of curiosity why do you guys say sonic? how does he do against zss,sheik, and pikachu? I find those the most important mu`s to worry about. I like DP because he has an actual reflector and has quite a few similarities to rosa with all his disjointed hitboxes, good recovery that doesnt have hitbox, zoner.
First, your secondary, IMO, shouldn't play like your main. The purpose of a secondary is to handle the match ups your main struggles with. If your main is a defensive zoner, what good does a secondary do if they are also a defensive zoner ? (For the record, my secondary is C. Falcon)

Sonic is a zone breaker. He can get inside and deal great combo damage. He has a good recovery and great frame data.

Dark pit, while having some disjoints, he lacks good frame data. He has laggy moves that can be punished. Also, since his recovery lacks hit boxes, he can be intercepted, like Rosa.

Edit: one more note. If both your main and your secondary play the same, your opponent doesn't have to change his strategy much. If they are used to being on the offensive because you play a defensive zoner, they don't have to adjust much. Whereas if you change to an offensive character, they have to change their play style a lot to accommodate.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To continue on, Dark Pit fights pretty much the same way as Pit, so what applies to Dark Pit also affects Pit. Of course, the differences between Upperdash Arm and Electroshock Arm can make you think otherwise.

Still, Pit and Dark Pit are for the most part, all-around fighters, so it's not like they offer much, if any coverage that Rosalina doesn't already cover. What does help them is their higher weight though, so at least they're less vulnerable to getting KO'd quickly.

negaposi-continues

Smash Rookie
Rosalina used to have a pretty hard time dealing with Diddy before the nerf, but now she can power on through. I know Sheik can give Rosalina a bit of trouble if you aren't patient (even with the Luma Warp and Star Bit), but for the most part I think that matchup is pretty even. I know Pikachu tends to be a bit of a problem, though I haven't played enough Pikachu players to give my own personal experience of it.

Sonic can be really obnoxious for me, since he requires a lot of patience to punish him properly. He gets in and he gets in fast, and he's hard to punish unless you know your openings, so if you want a rushdown character, I'd recommend him or Sheik for sure.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I've actually been here a bunch of times and I've never answered this question. wow.

The answer is Sheik. Simply because Sheik has no bad matchups. The answer is always Sheik. For any character you like to use. Learn Sheik and you're set for everything.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
you can main the worst character in the game and then secondary sheik and still cover pretty much all the matchups, I don't think sheik really counts as the best secondary, because matchup wise, she ALWAYS is.

In my opinion the characters Rosalina loses to are:

Meta Knight
Yoshi
Olimar
Pikachu
Sheik

I would say watch out for ZSS as well.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Little Mac may also be a problem in a default only match, since he's fast and hits hard, which is bad for the Luma, as well as Rosalina. And because Little Mac has Slip Counter, that enables him to counter any of Rosalina's aerial attacks, which pretty much makes his atrocious aerial game quite irrelevant.

DatChrizma

Smash Rookie
What do you guys think about yoshi? He seems to cover Rosas matchups pretty well (from what I can tell.)

Morbi

Scavenger
I doubt this applies to most Rosalina players, but I use Fox as a secondary. With Rosalina, I struggle with extreme rush-down AND projectile zoners. Honestly, I feel as though Rosalina should have an advantage in those (zoner) match-ups, but I do not utilize her tools the best in those scenarios and her aerial mobility is somewhat lacking. I enjoy Fox as he can also dictate the pace of a match and avoid projectiles with relative ease. I suppose he is more aggressive with his zoning, those lasers add up and his reflector, in my opinion, is safer than Rosalina's gravitational pull. No one can bait it out of me, but I get baited into the gravitational pull because I do not want Luma to take a lot of damage. His recovery is also less predictable which helps against those rush-down opponents.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
ZSS, Sheik or Lucas?
Sheik. Always Sheik. You could play the worst character but use Sheik as a secondary and you have every matchup covered. She's the only character in the game with no bad matchups.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
fine in that case is it alright to play all the characters because I love playing all of them, plus sheik gets nerfed with every patch in some way where ZSS and ness haven't been touched therefore lucas probably won't be. Plus I play Sheik in melee

Last edited:

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
I joined SmashBoards to get some input from more than one person, so as the title suggests, I'm looking for suggestions for secondary choices. I play Rosalina defensively, so fast characters and rush-attackers (sonic, ect...) are a problem. Just so you know, I can also play Charizard, but most of his matchups aren't very good.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
I joined SmashBoards to get some input from more than one person, so as the title suggests, I'm looking for suggestions for secondary choices. I play Rosalina defensively, so fast characters and rush-attackers (sonic, ect...) are a problem. Just so you know, I can also play Charizard, but most of his matchups aren't very good.
Sheik

Lust for Glory

Smash Cadet
How well does ZSS cover Rosalina's bad MU's? I pick ZSS over Sheik since I'm already used to the character from pervious smash iterations and mods, and I honestly cant see myself not using her in a game where she is a top tier threat.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
Doesn't Sheik cover EVERY matchup? I thought Sheik was just a character that has advantages against the majority of characters.

Edit: Sheik gets nerfed all the time, so maybe she isn't the best choice... I don't do well with her anyway due to her fast-fall. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One could argue that Sheik is the best character in Smash 4, but that does require you to be very quick on your reflexes if you want to utilize her offensive skills at their fullest potential. Some people just don't have the reflexes to pull that off.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
One could argue that Sheik is the best character in Smash 4, but that does require you to be very quick on your reflexes if you want to utilize her offensive skills at their fullest potential. Some people just don't have the reflexes to pull that off.
I'm one of those people. XD
I've seen Sheik used competitively in multiple situations, but they all play the same way. (F-Air, F-Air, F-Air, Down-B) I've also tried Falcon, since he was listed as a good secondary, but he also doesn't work for me. His attacks are too close-ranged for my liking.

Last edited:

KirbyKillz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nihabz
What are some good secondarys for Rosalina that can counter rush down and substitute well for Rosalina mirrors that doesn't have a high skill cap. Reason being is a majority of my practice is invested in Rosalina

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
What are some good secondarys for Rosalina that can counter rush down and substitute well for Rosalina mirrors that doesn't have a high skill cap. Reason being is a majority of my practice is invested in Rosalina
Sheik

Cyrrona

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyrrona
Little Mac may also be a problem in a default only match, since he's fast and hits hard, which is bad for the Luma, as well as Rosalina. And because Little Mac has Slip Counter, that enables him to counter any of Rosalina's aerial attacks, which pretty much makes his atrocious aerial game quite irrelevant.
Echoing this. His super armor also prevents Luma rescue attempts from interrupting a handful of moves. Little Mac is the main reason I picked up Pit, actually--down B is a fantastic way to gimp Mac's recovery, and Pit's good grab game helps him get Mac offstage pretty easily. As a perk of the secondary, I can use Dark Pit and his Luma-killing side B for Rosalina matchups now if I'm not feeling the mirror (and I'm usually not).

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
I was originally going to post this in the Fox forums, but decided this was more of a Rosalina issue.

Greetings, I'm Effay, a Fox player. I use Rosa as a secondary. Just wondering, does that make sense if Fox is my main? She's clearly a better character.

I was in a 30 man tournament a few days ago, and decided my Rosa needed more experience. I used her throughout the whole winners bracket, and found myself on the winners side of Grand Finals, and got matched up with a ZSS player. So, Grand Finals were ZSS vs Rosa). The first set went to game three, but the ZSS player took it, and we had a bracket reset (all was best of three, even grands). He then took the first game of set 2, so I switched to Fox, taking the next 2 games, and the tournament.

That's the problem though. Should I even prioritize her if my Fox is better?
Pls help me, Rosa forums >_<

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
In short, yeah, I couldn't think of a better secondary to pick. It's eerie to think about, but many of Rosa and Fox's aerials, normals, and specials fulfill nearly identical purposes, and playing Rosa aggressively will often have very similar inputs as a fox. Aside from their kinda similarity, the Rosalina player is at a significant advantage against anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience against the character. She has a ton of character specific weirdness that might be easy to understand while playing her, but is quite confusing to play against for the first time.

On the topic of making her your main...it's up to you. You'll likely do fine just making her your secondary, but the character does have a lot of quirks that take a lot of practice to understand. She's a character that's pretty easy to pick up and do decently with, but getting the most of the character takes time.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
If I had trouble against Sheik, Zero suit Samus, Fox, Pikachu, and Yoshi as Rosalina, then the characters who I go to will be my mains or second secondaries. This is my personal experience with the MUs, but for those with my mains are :4luigi:,:4mario:,:4pikachu:,:4kirby: and secondaries are:4myfriends:,:4falcon:.

:4sheik::Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby are my go to for this MU because if I struggle with Luigi and Rosalina, I would use those three. Camping needles won't work against those three characters that much, and Mario and Kirby can kill better. Sheik can get combo by them too because of her falling speed.
:4zss:: Pikachu and Kirby are her worst match ups because of their small size and crouch. Mario, even MU because of his combos, Cape, and better koing. I'm not sure why people think ZSS is a big problem for Rosalina, but I guess its because of her speed, Juggles, combos, and edgeguarding.
:4fox::Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby will be my to go along with Captain Falcon, but Luigi is a very difficult MU for Fox because of his combos, damage output, superior ko options, and edgeguarding. However, Fox still have camping lasers and speed going for him. Three of them can combo him and edgeguard, but Pikachu's and Kirby's edgeguarding are better though.
:4pikachu::Luigi will be his worst match up. Mario is part of it, but the MU is even and Luigi can more difficult though. As for Mario. Even though Pikachu's recovery is better, Mario will not let you get back on stage for free and deliver pressure with his Cape, Fludd, and Up-smash if you don't mix up your recovery options.
:4yoshi:: I will use Luigi and Captain Falcon against the dino, but I also heard Zero suit samus can be a problem for him as well. I don't have a lot of experience with the MU Captain Falcon and Luigi because I mostly use Pikachu and Kirby for the MU and Yoshi beats them both.

As for Ike, he may have even MU or so against Yoshi, but against the rest on top, he can struggle.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
I thought about this a bit more and I came to the conclusion that besides picking the top two chars in the game (Sheik and Pikachu), Yoshi is a great choice. Circumvents the problem of the ditto (though it raises the problem of how to deal with another Yoshi) and he is even with both Sheik and Pikachu. He just covers all of her negative MUs. And vise-versa: pretty much all of his negative MUs you can just use Rosalina for anyway.

murdey

Smash Rookie
I use King Dedede as a secondary, he's of good contrast to rosa because he is super heavy, he still has a hard time with rushdowns, but getting two or three hits in against a falcon/zss/pikachu when they mess up quickly evens up percents and possibly takes stocks.

He benefits heavily off of good reads, as all heavy hitters should.

Top Bottom