• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seeking puff help!

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
For the first time in forever...I feel the need to find answers I don't have. I'm by no means new to puff or this game, but I've noticed some things that really end up trolling my puff when my friends and I get together for matches...especially recently.

Why does puff get so ****ed by down throw combos? I used to dominate a friend's entire character roster (IC,Sheik,Fox,Marth,Peach) but lately, I've noticed he now solely plays keep away and goes for down throws. Can anyone clarify how to escape the following?

Sheik's Dthrow on puff just sort of seems to destroy her in any situation. It sets you up for an easy Uair,Fair, Bair...is there any amount of DI in the cosmos that would let jigglypuff float too far to follow up on? Do I really need to just NEVER touch the ground in this match? Why will Sheik's Fair trade with Jiggs' Bair? What's the best angle for attack to properly pressure her without setting myself up for a slap?

Fox's Dthrow techchase is just annoying as hell. If it isn't an Usmash waiting for you from a stationary tech/missed tech, it's more techchase until fox can go for his favorite Uthrow>Uair combo. The Uairs don't scare me. I can smash DI the first hit every time to escape the stronger second hit...am I making the mistake of going for my own easy-street uthrow combos on spacies and making myself grab bait?

Marth's Dthrow>Tipper gives him a nice lead from 0%. Surprisingly, I do quite okay against Marths. I've played against good ones for a decade and I find the Sheik matchup much harder to deal with. Also, Marth's Bthrow>Tipper...I'm always DI-ing away from Marth wherever he throws me, but sometimes it just looks like I'm not DI-ing at all. Do I need to start holding both sticks away AFTER he grabs me instead of before? Is there any SDI that helps to avoid the tip of that sword?

Peach and IC's don't scare me. I typically win that match 7 times out of 10. IC's are pathetically easy to rest when they're dash-grabbing at me as their only approach and Peach...well if I do miss rest on Peach she'll toss a turnip above me and charge Usmash next to me so I'll get knocked into it. I can't consistently SDI it for some reason. It feels like if the turnip is more on one half of Puff's body she get's knocked at least some distance in the opposite direction, which is what makes that setup work.

I'd appreciate all and any help. I'm gonna go read through some DI-guides since I must have overlooked something to be losing to this BS.

Puff lovin.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
fox's dthrow techchase is pretty scary..

how is sheik grabbing you? are just not crouching enough?

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Apparently not! I had to watch all the vids to see how other puffs went about that match-up. Keeping low is something I didn't know guaranteed safety from grabs. Now all I have to put up with during that match is Bair wars...

Thanks.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, the big trick is not getting grabbed. It's definitely hard, especially vs really good foxes. Staying in the air a lot helps, and try not to land on front of their shield unless you can safely wd away or read their grab with something like a spot dodge.

One thing I love to do vs sheik is nair them and land right on front of their shield and then crouch, they go for grabs all the time and it's a free rest. After you make a sheik scarred, they'll try to like dsmash or short hop when you do that, so I'll do the same thing but instead of crouching to get the rest, I'll land of front of their shield and utilt to catch them with it.

Marth is hard to deal with. Just be very defensive and as safe as possible. Stay patient and you'll be fine. Hit and run wins the MU; staying in the air close to him is bad because his tilts are so good and being on the floor leads to grabs and other shenanigans. It's also notable that you can crouch Marth's standing grab but not his dash grab, but most good Marths jc their grab anyways so it's fine. Remember how huge Marth's grab range is though, so don't get too greedy with the rest and go for an fsmash on ducked grabs if you're too far.

And remember with spacie's dthrow techchases, not teching is an option and usually throws off their momentum. Just don't do it frequently cause they'll just go a standing smash or jab reset.

Top Bottom