• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sega Vs. Everyone (Zamus and Marth entry complete)

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I did the IC one so yeah. I also saw some for Yoshi and Link, should I put those up or should I wait for the weekly thread for them?

Tenki

Smash Hero
sawp.

So yeah, regardless of how long and seemingly lagless Lucario's F-smash is, you can actually run in and grab him in his ending lag. Fun stuff.

Just something I noticed while someone was screwing around and spamming F-smash.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats only because the forward smash has a startup time, it has no lag, if he dodges after the smash you cant grab, spamming forward smash is a very good baiting manuver. trust me, i second luc, and my doubles partner mains him

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
put this on the front page

MARIO - Character Matchup 1

Introduction
"Nintendo's ubiquitous mascot, the red-capped Mario has been hurtling over barrels and stomping Goombas since 1981, and his fighting style largely mimics those antics. As the most balanced fighter in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, like in Melee, Mario has no great strengths or weaknesses, but he does boast several useful aerial attacks, making an air game ideal for anyone using him."
It's a rivalry as old as they come. Nintendo vs Sega. Battle of the mascots. Alex the Kid couldn't handle Mario, which heralded the creation of the worlds fastest hedgehog. And as far as video games go, this is the first and so far, best chance of resolving the rivalry. Each player has their well-defined strengths and weaknesses in this matchup. Mario has a well established air game and priority advantage while Sonic has his speed, ground range and gimping. Both are quite adept on combos as well. It makes for a close fight. So let's get into it.

Behaviour:

-Mario will camp using his fireballs. He can full hop, short hop while approaching or backing off while grounded fireballs will be used to stop easy approaches. Fireballs are Marios way to control the game. They successfully slow up the match, and cause selective approaches with most characters. Though they don't have a fantastic range or damage, they are a great tool to rack up damage without any risk to Mario.

-Marios' air game is very well-developed in Brawl. Mario's N-air and B-air both have quite large priority and give Mario a big advantage in the air. Reverse aerial rushed B-airs will be used as an approach, keeping in mind that a Mario can pull out two B-airs in a short hop. Also, his f-air will be used as a spike as an off edge technique. Mario will do his best to pressure you at close range using SH nairs and advancing Bairs. Marios d-air wont be used as commonly, its priority is a lot less than Mario's other aerials. Mario's generally can afford to play aggressively in Brawl. He is a well balanced character and has enough priority to hold his own in attacking. This leads to comboing. Marios combo ability is pretty fantastic. He will use his jabs, tilts and throws as means to get into combo situations. His U-air is largely annoying and great at comboing in and out of. Their B-air can makes a semi wall of pain by short hopping it continually. Luckily Sonics spring can get us out of mario air comboing.

-This having been said, Marios ability to juggle in the air can do just as well as Sonics. And with his large priority, it really wins out.

-Mario ground game is not as strong as his aerial game. Much like Sonic, he will generally confine his smash attacks just as KO moves after racking up enough damage, with the exception of his D-smash, which comes out hard and fast, and is used in spot-dodge wars. His jab is average and can be pretty easily shield grabbed, similarly with his dash attack. Jab faking to d-smash can also work for Mario.

- Mario is a terrific gimper. The cape, F.L.U.D.D. and his F-air can all end a characters life at very low percentages. Fortunately Sonic isn't a character he can gimp easily, as will be outlined in How to Win.

- As for general gameplay, a Mario is very smart. They will play defensively (ie shield, back off) and shield grab into an bunch of aerial moves as soon as its possible. And as soon as play starts swinging against him, his cape can give him time to get out of sticky situations or simply jump out into another fireball spam session.

* There has been alot of discussion on whether the behaviour of Mario outplays Sonic or visa versa. Fireball usage and avoiding as well as ground games and aerial games of Mario against Sonic have also been discussed alot. For a Mario point of view feel free to check out this thread : HERE

Commonly Used Moves:

-Fireballs: Used commonly in a jumping approach. Clanks with our spindash/charge and gives Mario a little lag.
-Cape: Luckily there aren't too many useful applications of this move against Sonic, other than to avoid a hit.
-Up-B: Lots of priority on this move. One of the main reasons it is hard to gimp a Mario, not too many others uses against Sonic though.
-B-air: Marios love it. No one else does. Comes out really fast and has great priority and only a small lag on landing. Used alot in approaches and in combos. Avoid at all costs. Spacing is important here.
-F-smash: There's been alot of discussion on this move. So far, it does have more range then ours and has great KO'ing properties (knockback/damage). Again, avoid it at all costs and watch your spacing.
-U-smash: His other big ko move against Sonic. One of the many reasons we should stick to the ground in this matchup. Please don't fall into this.
-N-air: Just as useful as his b-air. High priority makes it difficult to avoid. Used in appraches commonly.
-U-air: Possibly the greatest aerial, capabale of mega-juggling in the air

How to Win:

"Avoid fireballs
Keep him grounded as much as possible. Utilt trades hits with his bair so it might encourage them to use it less.
Running Pshield aerials that come your way. Try if you can do shieldgrab to dthrow, it gets him in the position you want him to be (not above you)
Once he's on the ground, space with ftilts and dtilts, the former being most important because it has more range and does more damage.
Punish spotdodge or roll abusers with Dsmash, the same holds true in any match up though.
Keep either bair or fsmash nonstale for a kill at a reasonable percent.
Go for the dair gimp, it is possible, hell, even a footstooled Mario can't make it back to the edge if you do it even when he's just slightly below."
ROOOOY!

Keep it to the ground: mario aerial game is very very good. That u-air will slaughter. So try and keep it on the ground. Sonics tilts outrange and come out faster than anything mario can do effectively on the ground. So space your self and put little bits of damage on this way. If you get stuck in mario's aerials, spring out of their and spot dodge down (or if u feel confident, dair). Another alternative is to space yourself after recieving a hit and get him with the range on our b-air, but this is very situational

Gimping: at least try. There is a bit of dispute over how much sonic can gimp mario. But imo i think we are more than capable. Mario's recovery is extremely average and isn't hard to HA from either underneath or a jump out and HA to whack them off the side. From above can be risky because the odds are they will super jump punch before you can get a chance. Also if you can run off that edge after a d-throw its possible to gimp with a double fair. Its all about pickin the right gimp for the right situation. (dont go overboard and kill urself) P.S.: unfortunately these gimps can be very situational, but not at all impossible.

Other quick things: shake up your approaches. dash attack is fairly safe as it is grounded. spin shot or spindashhop depending on what kind of fireball pressure you got comin at ya. last thing to note is dont b scared to use aerials to catch them unaware. sonic is fast and has the possibility of throwing one out before mario even thinks about gettin his hi priority move out.

"Keep in mind that Mario's U-smash punishes too well, and you don't want to be in a spotdodge>d-smash war against Mario, so instead, if you end up spotdodging at the same time, jump out of the dodge or run away. If you want to attack, use tilts."
Tenki

HERE is a video of a Sonic gae vs Mario who shows the style that I am talking about. Unfortunately it's old, and the Mario isn't great, but if you had no idea what we were talking about, this shows appropriate tilts and fairly safe playing. Not great though. If you have any better vids of Mario vs Sonic, you would be a legend in my books.

Recommended Stages:

LUIGI'S MANSION: This one does favour Sonic. I soon as I started playin this matchup here I notice Mario's inability to hop and float around like he does so well. Give Sonic a higher chance of hit with SDR. Killing is the only, issue but it's like that on any level with Sonic. The building also provides covered for fireballs while you charge...taunt....whatever.

LYLAT CRUISE: It has a particularly high ceiling which counteracts Mario's U-smash and according to Matador does not really reduce the effectiveness of Sonic's U-air star Ko's. Fireballs aren't as good here because of the stage and Down-angled Fsmash offstage is harder to punish Sonic's upB when recovering low because the stage often tilts away from it. I've played Matador on this level and it really seems to either disadvantage Mario or give Sonic a massive hand. The Platforms seems to be at perfect height, the only thing to watch is make sure you don't let Mario under you, as you options can be limited.

FINAL DESTINATION: A completely nuetral level. Fireballs are easy to predict in this one. It has a relatively high ceiling and gives Sonic free reign to run around Mario a fair bit. Also the lip has potential to gimp Mario, so overall it's in our favour. Just watch Mario though, because he doesn't have any obstruction in his fireballs and you can't really come from underneath any platforms, so the priority issue is still a big one here.

NOT BATTLEFIELD: The amount of ease Mario has with aerials and fireballing is ridiculousing. Generally steer clear of this one.

Matchup Summary: 55:45 Mario

"Thou art merely a scrub, for thou only chooseth Marth. Had my controller not laggethed, I would surely have been victorious." The Gospel of No-John
Last edited by Greenstreet; 08-29-2008 at 06:56 PM.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
put this in the OP as well

these first two are from greenstreets matchup thread
DK....Donkey Kong is HERE

Introduction

"Donkey Kong is the protagonist from the Donkey Kong series. In his first appearance, Donkey Kong, he was the antagonist of Mario, but he soon starred in his series of games which depicted him as the hero, though he remains a featured character in Mario spinoff games. He has appeared in all three Smash Bros. games to date."
He is a big fella, but this doesn't mean that Sonic can necessarily own over him like he is Bowser. He has powerful moves, powerful tilts and powerful throws. But we have a few things over him, like gimpability.

Behaviour:

-DK is pretty mobile. His run speed and air speed are both above average. And because Sonic isn't a projectile camper, he can't really stop DK from approaching with his B-air, which is fast and has huge range. - A2ZOMG

-DK's tilts are all fast and have crazy range, making it fairly unsafe to stay close to DK for a long period of time. His grab range is also very good, which speaks for itself really. His D-smash while a little unsafe to use comes out fast, and if you normal shield it will push you away a decent distance. A2ZOMG

-Dk can juggle fairly consistenly with his aerials if you don't pay attention, only a few hits from his u-air and b-airs will have give you an extra 40% like that. DK's know this. DK's abuse this.

-Where DK mind games come into play is with the Giant Punch.
When DK charges it up, every player in the world goes into Turtle on Crack Mode(tm). You run around being wildly defensive, trying to make DK waste the punch. DK wants you to freak out and get close and shield. That sets you up for a grab, and DK's grabs are ridiculously great. The <throw is going to send you off the level and is a potential killer. The >throw is of course the Cargo Hold and a perfect setup for either throwing you into the abyss, Kongocide or one of DK's 3 spikes while you're recovering.

-Terrydactyl

-Spot-dodge into Down smash will own Sonic's fair and most other short-hopped aerials. Mightn't be too commonly used by a DK, but you still have to consider this when approaching

-DK's play an odd style, it's neither offensive or defensive, it is simply reactive, they will act according to what you do almost completely. This is because of their blind spot perhaps, or laggy moves, but they'll react to what you do, so getting into patterns is very bad in this matchup.

-Spot dodging and air dodging- it'll happen alot, so learn to charge a fsmash to counter his spotdodge, or even u-tilt if you think your timing sucks.

Commonly Used Moves:

U-tilt: It's very ease for Dk to combo in and out of this move, and it is very quick with decent damage. Approaching DK from behind will result in Sonic being mashed by this. Enables effective juggling.

D-Smash: Comes out like lightning and it will hit you really far. DK's can use this after shielding/spot dodging your attacks and it will kill.

B-air: This is the other pain move. It sucks. COmes outfast and knocks back a decent distance for a b-air. Can be combo'ed with. Unexpected and good priority.

F-tilt: Owns pretty much any Sonic recovery and they'll pretty much spam it alot of match. Be careful not to get hit by hit as it'll rack up a couple of hits whichll be like 40% in no time.

Spot-dodge: DK's live off it, because they are so big, they'll use it heaps to avoid and counter attacks, and it works too.

How to Win:

When approaching from the front, just watch out for:

- 10-charged punches, since super armor will counter and destroy you. Also keep in mind if he charges his punch but isn't flashing. It's most likely a 9-charge punch - no super armor, but ungodly knockback.
- Up-B. It also has super armor (or is it invincibility frames? I think it changes depending on grounded/aerial up-B) during the beginning, so it can be used to counter and rack up some un-wanted damage. It IS possible to smash him or grab him out of it, but it's usually safer to wait until post-attack lag.
- Sakurai Combo. 'Nuff said. Too many times have I gone in, expecting DK to tilt or something so I'd tap shield, and as soon as I let go, get slammed into the ground...
But really, B-air/headbutt hurts your shield pretty badly too.
- Ground Slam - clangs with/outprioritizes SDR's.
- Grab. This is where you'll need 1337 teching skills. at 40%+, DK can cargo-grab you, walk off the edge, and stagespike you with a throw. Good luck on this one ;__;. Ripple also posted a video of what to do to people who get caught doing reflexive teching (throw them under the stage/away from it and lol as they airdodge). However, Sonic is rather safe from this since he has such a large recovery range.

-Tenki

You cant let DK breathe, but you also have to be aware of the super armor on some of his moves and the alarming speed of his tilts.

The fact is that even with good DI...a D-smash is gonna kill u @ 110%. D smash is nearly instant OOS. His up-tilt kills in the 160% range. His Up and Foward smash kill before 100%...so even though u can work him over with low knock back moves for obscene %....once it comes down to getting the kill things get alot tricker. The only thing I have reliably done is if I block a D-smash, I shield drop stutter step F-smash and it hits. That works rather reliably.

A big mistake that people make is assuming his smash attacks aren't safe. It's SONIC! DK can throw out F- smashes all he wants....whats he gonna die to a dash attack? Or an up-throw (Not until 200 with good DI)? or an up-smash? DK players have this logic....same as DDD....the risk vs reward is just so uneven.

The risk vs reward for his smash attacks is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. The risk is AT BEST sonic can get a grab. The reward is you do obscene knockback and probably kill your opponent before 100%.

-MalcomM

-I think that it comes down to approaching. When that ape jumps, be aware of his blindspot infront of him and f-air, itll rack up damage fairly well and even string into a HA, or an asc/sd.
Approaching with a SH'ed ASC could be disasterous from behind him, because of his tilts, so a SD is more advisable, do to it's priority frames in the beginning of the move. In spot dodge wars, it could even pay just to jab him out, if not escape, rather than try to beat him into a smash move.
With any styles of approach other than aerial (too an extent) DK will have a response. Ground approach/Ground pound ; ASC: u-tilt ; Spinshot/b-air.
So this is why it's important to be very different in your approaches, and make sure DK cannot predict what will happen next.
Play defensively in that you'll have to avoid DK's smashes if you want to stay alive for over 60%.

Like Dedede, rising/lagless B-airs can totally screw up your approach game. It's also one of DK's best approaches/spacing tools, and can even KO. A running P-shield can sometimes screw up his spacing if he's doing a falling B-air, and you can proceed to grab him out of it. It's much easier to do this on laggy landings, but I'm pretty sure you can grab him straight out of the aerial if you shield the attackbox.

-Tenki

If he's not Ground Pounding then aerials are probably the most effective way of approaching but still not great. F-tilt > All Sonic's approaches except for fair seemingly, SH fair was a life saver in this match-up.
His SH aerials (except for his fair which is awful) are decent GTFO attacks, with bair and uair having notably good priority.
-ROOOOY!

Recommended Stages:

LYLAT CRUISE: I'm not sure but i think this could be a good option. The curvature of the level will make DK jump higher when jumping across, making Sonics aerials easier to connect with. I just find this level flows better in this matchup.

LUIGI'S MANSION: Same reasons as Mario's it seems. It'll stop his great aerial game alot (coz he can barely fit in that house) but will make approaching a little more difficult for Sonic, but its nothing that cant b over come by SH ASC's.

NOT BATTLEFIELD: Again lol? I'd avoid Battlefield, I got ***** on it earlier. Battlefield really limits you to a ground approach only and considering DK's range, that sucks. He can really pressure you with bairs/uairs/nairs if you get stranded on platforms too.

-ROOOOY!

Matchup Summary: 60:40 Donkey Kong
Last edited by Greenstreet; 09-03-2008 at 12:24 AM.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
we should have vids of these ideas in action as well, we should connect this site to the blue blur cinemas thread, or at least use their vids to describe the things we talk about here. for example:

when/ if you put the mario thing on the front page put this link under it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgo3un_2aI - Boxob (Sonic) vs darkNES386 (Mario)
so people can see the things we talk abouut in action

Tenki

Smash Hero
thats only because the forward smash has a startup time, it has no lag, if he dodges after the smash you cant grab, spamming forward smash is a very good baiting manuver. trust me, i second luc, and my doubles partner mains him
Touche on the startup lag + spamming F-smash.

I retested holding shield (since shield comes out instantly, right?) and found two things:

1) You can run past Lucario before and/or as the shield comes up (you have enough time to reach him)

However, at the speed it comes up, Lucario can probably dodge before you touch him, so you got me there.

but, all is not lost.

2) Lucario's hitbox is extended considerably while his hand is sticking out

This means you don't actually have to get up next to him, meaning you don't have to run as far, either - This means you should have enough time to grab him out of F-smash.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
try it against a luc main, im pretty sure they will dodge you everytime, it looks like it the move should have lag, but it just doesnt and luc mains know this better than anybody, and the have the timing down so they can bait with it and not be touched

also
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190059
this is the diddy kong thread there was no over all synopsis made, but there can be if someone wants to put all of the the thoughts together.
or we could just put a link on the front page what ever you like

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice

I retested holding shield (since shield comes out instantly, right?) and found two things:

1) You can run past Lucario before and/or as the shield comes up (you have enough time to reach him)

However, at the speed it comes up, Lucario can probably dodge before you touch him, so you got me there.

but, all is not lost.

This means you don't actually have to get up next to him, meaning you don't have to run as far, either - This means you should have enough time to grab him out of F-smash.

yeah i use to grab my friend from a decent distance away when he was lucario and was spamming his f-smash. but thats an interesting question becuz i don't remember him spot dodging that much (it was when the game was out for like two weeks)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

but, all is not lost.

That is dependant on how far away you are from lucario. As long as you 2/3rds into the fsmash hitbox you grab him

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
so over the corse of a week my bro has taken up the IC, and can pretty much zero to death me as anybody with exception of two characters, MK (tornado spamming :D) and believe it or not Sonic!

wow Sonic has like the best approach against the IC, im not even joking man. All i do for my main approach is AC'ed Fair, but what iv noticed about it is that it's able to make a WOP (wall of pain, meaning you can do anything you want because it's animation ends before you touch the ground). So from learning about Fair's WOP I stared to approach the IC with Fair, to spring, to Dair, then while landiing run or roll (anything to get away, because at that height Dair's lag cancels out), then repeat. Why this method is sooo effective is because it allows the IC to not be able to Shield grab you at all! totally ruining their highly exploitable technique. Also why this is an amazing approach is because it's such a good shield breaking technique, and Fair's hitbox extends to Sonic's feet, allowing you to even Fair behind the opponent allowing less chances for a shield grab. If your opponent is smart enough to let up on the shield and your Fair actually hits the IC, it also seperates them allowing for a quick Nana gimp, then for the sake of being badass grab the hell out of Popo then gimp. But as a couple rounds went by my bro started up some blizzards, which of coarse out prioritizes Sonics Fair, in which case I started to mindgame with dash dances and grinding techniques until he blizzards, at which time i'd punish.

Other than blizzard, Sonic (in my experience) takes out the IC EASILY

just my opinion but I thought it should be shared

Sonic Is Too Good

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
****, mah boi, a non Sonic main saying Sonic is good and might actually have an advantage?!
What is this madness? It must be the steak.

Blizzard ***** Sonic's approach, but it's really easy to seperate the Ice Twins and kill them offstage.
Neutral/tiny advantage Sonic, I think ;o

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
****, mah boi, a non Sonic main saying Sonic is good and might actually have an advantage?!
What is this madness? It must be the steak.

Blizzard ***** Sonic's approach, but it's really easy to seperate the Ice Twins and kill them offstage.
Neutral/tiny advantage Sonic, I think ;o
yeah i know that's why I said the blizzards the only problem if you guys can find an awesome way around it, post it!!

but as I said man blizzard has insane lag if it doesn't hit, i usually jump behind them and Bair them, then of coarse side taunt

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Mix up approaches. Sheild cancel side B. Sheild cancel ASC. Spinshot.
Ice blocks make you have to approach, but they aren't much of a nusiance.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I think I'll write up a quick Game and Watch one soon. I know that matchup like the back of my hand.

Top Bottom