• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Senior Prom

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Prom, is what you make of it, it's up to you if you want to go or not, I went because my love interest at the time wanted to go, however it turned out we had much more fun at dinner before hand, went to the dance for like 40 minutes, and we went back to my house, and me, her, and the other couple we went with played brawl. Granted, I *****, but I got to teach her how to play while hugging her, twas a good night. Then when everyone finished up at the dance, we went to go eat together again. Some people's proms consisted of the dance, others, like me, it was just being with the girl, and some friends in a different setting.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Good for you. I didn't. I'm not saying you should go to prom. And I'm just saying that I went and I'm glad I did, even if I didn't enjoy it.

If you don't want to go, then don't. It's as simple as that.
All I'm saying is that isn't a valid argument in my situation. Not necessarily directed at you, but just the whole situation.

Ah ha. Yep... and lemme guess none of your other friends will be going to Prom either, right?
You didn't read much of this thread, did you? :p
All but maybe one or two of my friends are going to prom.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
All I'm saying is that isn't a valid argument in my situation. Not necessarily directed at you, but just the whole situation.
You're absolutely right, it's not a valid argument. And it's not one of the reasons I went to prom, but it was a good chance for me to do so.

And believe me, there are better ways to spend your money.

prosmash

Smash Rookie
i wasn't sure about going to prom, because everyone made fun of me and thought i was a loser, but after thinking about it for awhile i decided to go.

there was a problem though i didn't have any money, so i thought of a pretty good idea: i decided to start a limeade stand. i thought this was a good idea because everyone else has a lemonade stand. after several months of saving from that, and money from mowing the lawn and other chores i finally had enough.

there was this girl i liked and i was really nervous about asking her but after all the hard work i put into saving for it i decided to go for it. long story short, she rejected me and publicly humiliated me. i was kind of mad but i decided to stop thinking about that and not let it get to me.

prom day came around and i had everything ready. i got inside and everyone started making fun of me because of the incident with the girl and other stuff that happened that i don't want to get into. then this mean guy comes out of nowhere and throws some food on me and his friends all laughed at me, i got so upset i told the teacher but he didn't do anything.

so maybe i was made fun of, thrown food at, and no one would go with me, but one things for sure... it is a night i will always remember. you should definitely go, take it from me, somebody that knows what prom is.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
i wasn't sure about going to prom, because everyone made fun of me and thought i was a loser, but after thinking about it for awhile i decided to go.

there was a problem though i didn't have any money, so i thought of a pretty good idea: i decided to start a limeade stand. i thought this was a good idea because everyone else has a lemonade stand. after several months of saving from that, and money from mowing the lawn and other chores i finally had enough.

there was this girl i liked and i was really nervous about asking her but after all the hard work i put into saving for it i decided to go for it. long story short, she rejected me and publicly humiliated me. i was kind of mad but i decided to stop thinking about that and not let it get to me.

prom day came around and i had everything ready. i got inside and everyone started making fun of me because of the incident with the girl and other stuff that happened that i don't want to get into. then this mean guy comes out of nowhere and throws some food on me and his friends all laughed at me, i got so upset i told the teacher but he didn't do anything.

so maybe i was made fun of, thrown food at, and no one would go with me, but one things for sure... it is a night i will always remember. you should definitely go, take it from me, somebody that knows what prom is.
...I have been convinced. I take back everything I say.

promrulez

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You didn't read much of this thread, did you? :p
All but maybe one or two of my friends are going to prom.
no, I read it all, lol... the sardonic tone (apologies if it seemed directed at you) is because a lot of the folks in this thread can't seem to wrap their heads around your stance or attitude. me though, i totally can relate. prom IS fun, if you're into that kind of thing, ya know... playing dress up, pretending to be a celebrity with limos and ****, "partying", hanging out with all the people that matter nothing to you, save the small handful of half-friends you might see, someone you may have sat with at lunch once or twice, who sits in the corner the whole time and went "stag"... meh, just another excuse to go get drunk and/or get into trouble, right?

that said, I had a blast at mine, lol and my wife sometimes laments not going to hers when she had the chance. hindsight is 20/20. you may feel resolved to ditch the event, but 10, 20 even 30 years from now you could very well regret the decision. at least if you DO go, you can say you did. if you don't you've gotta live with that fact also. c'est la vie.

I also sense you're proud you're not going, that you and your other nonconformist friends are abstaining this social norm. this blog was meant to be cathartic, but as such it serves to help convince yourself you're making the right choice.

Oh and if you're really wanting to know what the "point" of Prom is, well:

http://www.prettyforprom.com/prom-history.html

You may find there isn't a real point anymore, just that its tradition.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
no, I read it all, lol... the sardonic tone (apologies if it seemed directed at you) is because a lot of the folks in this thread can't seem to wrap their heads around your stance or attitude. me though, i totally can relate. prom IS fun, if you're into that kind of thing, ya know... playing dress up, pretending to be a celebrity with limos and ****, "partying", hanging out with all the people that matter nothing to you, save the small handful of half-friends you might see, someone you may have sat with at lunch once or twice, who sits in the corner the whole time and went "stag"... meh, just another excuse to go get drunk and/or get into trouble, right?

that said, I had a blast at mine, lol and my wife sometimes laments not going to hers when she had the chance. hindsight is 20/20. you may feel resolved to ditch the event, but 10, 20 even 30 years from now you could very well regret the decision. at least if you DO go, you can say you did. if you don't you've gotta live with that fact also. c'est la vie.

I also sense you're proud you're not going, that you and your other nonconformist friends are abstaining this social norm. this blog was meant to be cathartic, but as such it serves to help convince yourself you're making the right choice.

Oh and if you're really wanting to know what the "point" of Prom is, well:

http://www.prettyforprom.com/prom-history.html

You may find there isn't a real point anymore, just that its tradition.
Please stop referring to me, or my friends, as the "non-conformists." That's not me, and that's not my friends. When I think of the "non-conformist," I think of the fool who thinks he's being cool and rebellious because he dresses differently (you know what I mean). That's not me. Please stop referring to me in that way, I take offense to it. Also, like I said, nearly all of my friends are going to prom. All but one that I'm sure of.

And no, I am not "proud" of myself not going to prom. I seriously and honestly just don't care, and I think other people care too much about me not going, and prom itself. I think people have made prom into more than it is, and I feel that there are better ways to celebrate the end of your high school career with your friends.

It's really not something I'm going to look back on in 20 years and think "what the **** was I thinking, I was such a dumb kid." I really don't care for it. My mother didn't go to her prom, she still does not care about it. I am the same way. I don't care for it now, I won't care for it later.

But, please, you're inferring things and completely getting the wrong idea of my thought process and me as a person.

It's actually kind of funny... I get the feeling that some people here feel like they have me "figured out." Like they know me on a deeper level. Not at all, haha.

M.K

Level 55
80% of my school is black.

They don't play any white people music.

I'm white.

I'm going.

You have no excuse.

^Joke. But srsly, don't believe all that "omg get a date blah blah be with someone" crap. You can go with a big group of boys/girls/fish/waffles/birds and still have an awesome time.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wow, struck a nerve, did I? *cackle*

Look here, yo... literally 1/5th of my post was about "you and your ways" and yet you gone and dump all this, I ain't tryin' to call you out or nothin, I honestly don't care, I just think this blog means more to you than you're letting on and why that is, is because you aren't convinced you've made the right decision. Now that I've clarified what you were saying, dude! All but one of your friends are going? So what, you two gonna hang out and be all "yeah, we don't care! we ain't there" WTF, lol why aren't you going???? I'd TOTALLY understand if no one was going that you cared about, but like, haha I dunno it just don't make sense to me, I don't wanna bug ya about it. I know tho, one of my buddies was in this exact situation and we all came over to his place after the dance (it was a semi formal in the fall) and he was like same old self, but had we not gone over to see him, sure he'd prolly been ok and all, but what if. what if he felt so alone he cried that night. maybe -we- couldn't live with ourselves if that was the case so we went over to allay our own feelings... he still appreciated the visit, but I think he knew why we were there, and he definitely had to keep repeating "yeah, I'm fine, no biggie, glad you enjoyed yourselves" and all this. anyway, I do apologize if I offended you. no harm intended, I just felt your OP was trying to say something like "why should I go, it's just a stupid meaningless tradition."

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
High School is a time of making huge deals out of small, insignificant actualities (**** joke!).

So you're right, there's absolutely no reason for you to get excited over the prom. Objectively, the prom is a massive waste of time.

The reason there's so much hype over it is because kids WANT it to be a big deal.

Objectively, there's no appeal. But as a high school student, it's practically your birthright to GIVE it appeal. Of course, you can always reject the birthright, especially when your inheiritance is a senior prom.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

Look here, yo... literally 1/5th of my post was about "you and your ways" and yet you gone and dump all this, I ain't tryin' to call you out or nothin, I honestly don't care, I just think this blog means more to you than you're letting on and why that is, is because you aren't convinced you've made the right decision. Now that I've clarified what you were saying, dude! All but one of your friends are going? So what, you two gonna hang out and be all "yeah, we don't care! we ain't there" WTF, lol why aren't you going???? I'd TOTALLY understand if no one was going that you cared about, but like, haha I dunno it just don't make sense to me, I don't wanna bug ya about it. I know tho, one of my buddies was in this exact situation and we all came over to his place after the dance (it was a semi formal in the fall) and he was like same old self, but had we not gone over to see him, sure he'd prolly been ok and all, but what if. what if he felt so alone he cried that night. maybe -we- couldn't live with ourselves if that was the case so we went over to allay our own feelings... he still appreciated the visit, but I think he knew why we were there, and he definitely had to keep repeating "yeah, I'm fine, no biggie, glad you enjoyed yourselves" and all this. anyway, I do apologize if I offended you. no harm intended, I just felt your OP was trying to say something like "why should I go, it's just a stupid meaningless tradition."
Not as much as you probably think, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea of who I am.
I didn't post this blog to "convince myself." This is you inferring things against and getting it wrong, please stop. I posted this just because I felt like putting it down somewhere else. I was bored, someone was bugging me about prom again, so I felt like posting how I felt about it somewhere else, and maybe see how other people felt. You're looking into it too much. This isn't something that means a lot to me, it just seems like it because... it's the topic of this blog, and I feel obligated to correct people on how they are perceiving it.
Again you start inferring things that are completely wrong. Yes, me and my friend will probably hang out on prom day, but neither of us are going to be talking about it like you think. Neither of us care about the prom. We feel similarly about its significance (or lack thereof).
But even if I was on my own, that's fine too. There's nothing wrong with relaxing by yourself for one day. That doesn't make me a loser, haha.

I still get the feeling that you think I'm someone that I'm not, and that annoys me. I'm sure you would be annoyed, too, if I was convinced that you were a pessimistic, anti-social, "non-conformist," when in reality it's nothing like that. Even when I try to tell you that you are getting the wrong idea about me, you continue to infer things and invent this whole persona for me, and apparently my friend. But as annoying as it is, I also feel that at this point you are completely convinced that that is who I am, so whatever. I'll stop trying to explain myself now.

I do want to know why it's so difficult to understand that I truly just don't care. Literally... I just don't care about the prom. I don't care that I'm not going, I don't feel I'm missing out on something I would otherwise love, and I'm not going to regret my decision. The friends situation isn't a big deal to me, because this is just one day, and I have countless of other opportunities after and before prom to see my friends before we leave to college. That's the honest truth, despite what other mindsets you may want to invent for me.

Yeah, it probably does sound like you really struck a nerve, but again, not as much as you think. I'm just trying to be abundantly clear. That combined with a little annoyance would sound like I'm super-angry, but I'm not, don't worry.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
Looking back, my HS dances (I'm a senior right now, too) had their ups and downs. On one hand, it was fun being with all my friends. I had my first kiss at junior prom :)

On the other hand... I don't dance. Neither did my gf. We stood around awkwardly while our friends danced and had fun (those were mostly single ladies). Also, everyone grinds and it makes me ashamed to be a teen.

I'm single right now. I will definitely go if I start dating again. Otherwise, I may just ask an old friend if a lot of my buddies go. I think dances are most fun if you hang out with a bunch of friends the whole time.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
it's pretty simple then. just dont go if you wont have fun.

i went to 3/4 possible proms in hs and each one got progressively better as they went (namely because im still dating my senior prom date :)) But to each his own.

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Prom is really what you make it. It can mean nothing if you want it to, or it can be the final dance of your high school career. I went during my junior year with a bunch of my senior friends, and I thought it was pretty fun. It's a good last hurrah with your high school friends in my opinion...

By the way, I think it's pretty cute that your friends made a facebook group to get you to go. Why not just tag along? You said you won't regret not going, but are there really any reasons you'll regret going?

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I didn't go. I don't miss not going. I didn't even think about it until this thread started lol

It sounds like well..sorta what you're arguing it's not..If your friends all want you to go, do you feel like you should go because most of them want you to? If I had friends that went and that wanted me to come along, even if I didn't really care about it myself, I'd probably have gone for a little while and just left as soon as I was bored of it. But that's just me.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I didn't go. I don't miss not going. I didn't even think about it until this thread started lol

It sounds like well..sorta what you're arguing it's not..If your friends all want you to go, do you feel like you should go because most of them want you to? If I had friends that went and that wanted me to come along, even if I didn't really care about it myself, I'd probably have gone for a little while and just left as soon as I was bored of it. But that's just me.
Most of my friends who are trying to convince me to go simply can't understand the fact that I don't care about the prom. To them it's magical fairyland, and I'm absolutely bat-****-insane for not wanting to go. I tried explaining rationally how I'm simply not interested in going, and I get the "YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET THIS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" speech. I explain how I won't, but they won't have it. So I just tell them it's because I hate honkies now. For the record, I'm white.

...but boy do I hate honkies.

Prom is really what you make it. It can mean nothing if you want it to, or it can be the final dance of your high school career. I went during my junior year with a bunch of my senior friends, and I thought it was pretty fun. It's a good last hurrah with your high school friends in my opinion...

By the way, I think it's pretty cute that your friends made a facebook group to get you to go. Why not just tag along? You said you won't regret not going, but are there really any reasons you'll regret going?
I must be in an uncommon situation, because (as I have explained) I have countless opportunities to have my "last hurrah" with my friends before we leave.

And I don't want to say I would regret going... but I wouldn't have a good time. Well... I wouldn't have a bad time either, but it would just end up being me talking with a bunch of friends. The only difference between prom and a normal day is that it would be in suits, in a loud room, with well over a thousand people around us. That plus super-awesome-high school-drama. Do not want.

Tickets are also somewhere around $80 (something ridiculous like that), so I would never want to waste money like that only to leave 30 minutes in.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts:

I went to mine, didn't want to go to mine, but good grief if my English teacher didn't threaten not to make recommendation letters if people didn't go.

So, I went. I went as a nervous wreck (no really, I sat in the car for about 30 minutes trying to talk myself out of it), and came out... well, not so nervous and not so much a wreck. I'm still going to say that my money could've gone elsewhere more worthwhile though.

My highschool classmates didn't really like me, so it was another reason I wasn't going to go. Really, the not-having-a-date deal wasn't even a factor.

So basically, make up your own mind about it.

EDIT: EIGHTY DOLLARS?!? Ok, REALLY make up your mind about it. Oh, and if those people keeping asking you to go, tell them to make it WORTH that $80 for you to show up.

§witch

Smash Lord
****ING THIS!!!

I didn't go to prom in my senior high school year.
In fact, a bunch of my friends just decided to get together and do what WE wanted to do.

That was more of a blast than what Senior Prom could've ever been.
You can get together with your friends any night.

§witch

Smash Lord

I love you man <3

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Jeez laweez, man, just go to the prom and have a blast with your schoolmates while they're still there. You'll thank yourself for the memories instead of just sitting around doing stuff you can do on any other night.

Go out there and be with your people from school, it's obvious they care about you.

Skler

Smash Master
Don't forget that you have to rent a tux, possibly a nice ride and pay for a woman! I also opted to save the $200 it would have cost for the whole night. If your goal is just to get laid (and about 50% of the people there will be focused on that) just remember that prostitutes are cheaper than prom night and you don't have to dance with them.

For those who can't tell, I really didn't like high school very much. I only stayed in contact with maybe 10 people from high school out of my class of 400. Don't be worried about the prom, you'll never see most of those people again. College is very different and fairly awesome.

Can't wait for people who enjoyed the prom to tell me how I was a loser in high school and totally wasn't asked to the prom!

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Jeez laweez, man, just go to the prom and have a blast with your schoolmates while they're still there. You'll thank yourself for the memories instead of just sitting around doing stuff you can do on any other night.

Go out there and be with your people from school, it's obvious they care about you.
Can we stop bringing up the same point over and over again? This must be the fifth time in this thread.

I'm not going to explain again, but I'm just going to ensure you that this isn't the case for me.

Can't wait for people who enjoyed the prom to tell me how I was a loser in high school and totally wasn't asked to the prom!
That's another thing that really annoys me. Somehow people get the idea that just because I don't want to go to prom, I'm an anti-social loser. That's so ridiculously wrong.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Calm down now, it's just prom.

It's pretty cool imo. You get to wear fancy clothes, eat nice food, and drink champagne.

Those are reasons enough to go, scoring with people and all that nonsense are just bonus points.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
LOL I thought this blog was dead!

There's nothing wrong with relaxing by yourself for one day. That doesn't make me a loser, haha.
Actually it does... cause it's not just "one day," it's THE day (well night, actually)... of the Prom.

I would have less fun. Significantly less fun. Less fun for, like, $90.
This is a valid reason for not going. (your only valid reason)

My issue is how superficial the prom is.
This is not, unless you're a, how'd you say, now....

pessimistic, anti-social, "non-conformist,"
that... but you said you aren't that and I believe you, so I cannot simultaneously believe you have a problem with The Prom's seeming superficiality. They are in contradiction.

I do want to know why it's so difficult to understand that I truly just don't care. Literally... I just don't care about the prom.
Honestly? Because it's impossible to 100% "not care" about the Prom, or -anything-. period. You do care, technically. You care not to go. If you didn't care AT ALL, then the default action is to go, for the benefit of those who want you to go. You choosing -not- to go, means you care more about yourself and your needs (to not go), ergo, you do care.

I'm not going to regret my decision.
Hopefully...

The friends situation isn't a big deal to me, because this is just one day, and I have countless of other opportunities after and before prom to see my friends before we leave to college.
Not the point of Prom. Obviously you have other chances to see them, even beyond starting college. The point is to see them -at prom- like everyone else, and as tradition dictates. "I'm not a non-conformist." Ok, then you're out of excuses :p Tradition dictates you go, so you either go, or you are a non-traditionalist. Which isn't bad, but don't pretend you're someone you're not. Don't lie to yourself, mainly, but don't lie to me, either.

So yeah as it turns out your only real reason to not go, isn't because you don't care, or are irked by the sheep mentality of your peers. It's because you don't wanna pay good sums of money to be in a situation you expect to be un-fun. And this reason I can not only accept, but fully support. The rest is detritus.

Mewter

Smash Master
Why do something optional and boring to you when you don't enjoy it?

Do whatever you want. :)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Actually it does... cause it's not just "one day," it's THE day (well night, actually)... of the Prom.
According to your point of view. As many people have said, it is what you make of it. Glad to know that you think I'm a loser, though.

This is a valid reason for not going. (your only valid reason
Valid reasons? More like opinions. I'm sorry that I can't prove to you using empirical data that I don't want to go to prom. My bad.

This is not, unless you're a, how'd you say, now....

that... but you said you aren't that and I believe you, so I cannot simultaneously believe you have a problem with The Prom's seeming superficiality. They are in contradiction.
I can't think that the prom is superficial and also be social, optimistic, and... myself? Superficial means insignificant, insubstantial, shallow. You can't see how one could think a single given social event is superficial, and also still be social? It's pretty simple.

Honestly? Because it's impossible to 100% "not care" about the Prom, or -anything-. period. You do care, technically. You care not to go. If you didn't care AT ALL, then the default action is to go, for the benefit of those who want you to go. You choosing -not- to go, means you care more about yourself and your needs (to not go), ergo, you do care.
Please, let's not play the word game. I don't care about the prom in that it is not an important event in my mind. I don't care that I'm not going. I would care if I did go, because I would be forcing myself to do something that I don't enjoy. Obviously.

Is it me being selfish? Maybe a little. But my friends, and I hope you would too, understand that it is not something I want to do. I do things with my friends that I'm not fond of enough (go to concerts for bands I'm not interested in, for example), but luckily for me they understand that it would be rude of them to force me into something I don't want all the time. In that sense the money factor does play a little role in it. They, and I, know that it would be pointless to cough off $100+ to go do something I don't want to, and probably leave half-way through. I mean, I wouldn't feel like much of a friend if I forced someone into going to a Smash tournament and making them pay entry and venue, knowing that they have no interest in Smash. That makes sense to you, right? Very similar situation with me and the prom. They respect my opinion, I respect theirs. The whole Facebook group and whatnot is mostly just poking fun at the situation. I really hope you can understand that.

Hopefully...
Definitely. You don't have to believe or understand me.

Not the point of Prom. Obviously you have other chances to see them, even beyond starting college. The point is to see them -at prom- like everyone else, and as tradition dictates. "I'm not a non-conformist." Ok, then you're out of excuses :p Tradition dictates you go, so you either go, or you are a non-traditionalist. Which isn't bad, but don't pretend you're someone you're not. Don't lie to yourself, mainly, but don't lie to me, either.

So yeah as it turns out your only real reason to not go, isn't because you don't care, or are irked by the sheep mentality of your peers. It's because you don't wanna pay good sums of money to be in a situation you expect to be un-fun. And this reason I can not only accept, but fully support. The rest is detritus.
There are many traditions that dictate a lot of things that you and I don't do. It's not a tradition that matters to me, because I chose not to take part in "high school traditions." This isn't me being a non-conformist, this is me choosing to not do something I'm not interested in. It's a very simple concept that you're looking way too far into. I'm not lying to anyone, you're just continuing to infer and misunderstand my point of view.

Sheep mentality of my peers? What is that? I completely respect my friends' decisions, and I whole-heatedly hope they have a good time, as they more than likely will.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Glad to know that you think I'm a loser, though.
-I- don't, lol I think you're pretty cool, from what I've seen of you 'round here. I was speaking more in terms of what 'loser' means. Loser=someone who abstains from social events/norms for whatever reason. At least that's what the definition was back in my high school days...

I can't think that the prom is superficial and also be social, optimistic, and... myself?
To believe the Prom is superficial is to believe against the grain, in other words. It's the unusual choice in this regard. Most folks think Prom's not only fun, but necessary in the development of their early life. You however feel the opposite. You are not.. conforming, to normal belief.

Is it me being selfish? Maybe a little. But my friends, and I hope you would too, understand that it is not something I want to do. I do things with my friends that I'm not fond of enough (go to concerts for bands I'm not interested in, for example), but luckily for me they understand that it would be rude of them to force me into something I don't want all the time. In that sense the money factor does play a little role in it. They, and I, know that it would be pointless to cough off $100+ to go do something I don't want to, and probably leave half-way through. I mean, I wouldn't feel like much of a friend if I forced someone into going to a Smash tournament and making them pay entry and venue, knowing that they have no interest in Smash. That makes sense to you, right? Very similar situation with me and the prom. They respect my opinion, I respect theirs. The whole Facebook group and whatnot is mostly just poking fun at the situation. I really hope you can understand that.
This this this. This would have been 10 times more succinct as your OP than what you did write. I wouldn't have even challenged your conviction had you just come right off and said this. But you didn't (or I didn't get that anyway), that's why I even got into this with you. This paragraph tells the real picture, and makes perfect sense. In fact if you recall my first response to your OP was on your side, it wasn't until I started reading some of your other replies that I began to suspect something was up, but this paragraph does in fact clear any doubts in my mind that you really believe what you're saying.

That and I figured I'd get you to type pron if I made you reply to me enough times :p j/k

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
-I- don't, lol I think you're pretty cool, from what I've seen of you 'round here. I was speaking more in terms of what 'loser' means. Loser=someone who abstains from social events/norms for whatever reason. At least that's what the definition was back in my high school days...
Well, I guess that makes me a selective loser. :p

To believe the Prom is superficial is to believe against the grain, in other words. It's the unusual choice in this regard. Most folks think Prom's not only fun, but necessary in the development of their early life. You however feel the opposite. You are not.. conforming, to normal belief.
Maybe, but my issue with this is that when I think "non-conformist," I think of the guy who purposely avoids things that are popular just for the sake of being different. This, in my mind, is no better than doing things that are popular just because they are. In fact, I believe in many cases it's worse. But this isn't me. Maybe some of my views and decisions are "against the grain," but I don't do this to be different or anything. I just happen to think that way about certain things. I'm not really trying to make a statement (although I do think that some people need to see prom in a different light) or anything. It's just how I feel.

Yes, I do sometimes come off like I'm trying to prove a point or something, and to an extent (which gets exaggerated when I type) I am. I would like for other people to consider things from a different viewpoint instead of accepting it. For the prom situation, this is based on my experience with how people try to convince me, as you know. It's the whole "you have to" mindset that I see so much.

This this this. This would have been 10 times more succinct as your OP than what you did write. I wouldn't have even challenged your conviction had you just come right off and said this. But you didn't (or I didn't get that anyway), that's why I even got into this with you. This paragraph tells the real picture, and makes perfect sense. In fact if you recall my first response to your OP was on your side, it wasn't until I started reading some of your other replies that I began to suspect something was up, but this paragraph does in fact clear any doubts in my mind that you really believe what you're saying.

That and I figured I'd get you to type pron if I made you reply to me enough times :p j/k
Well, then I'm glad we got to that, haha. I probably should have made that clear from the start, you're right. Poor thinking on my part.

Oh, sorry if anything I said came off as rude. No hard feelings at all.

4nace

Smash Ace
Think of it this way. When you're older you're going to look back at your high school from rose-colored goggles and even if prom sucks now, you will remember it very fondly and be happy you went.

Prom is part of the high school tradition, and you shouldn't skip it just to skip it, or make up excuses for why you can't go. Just go and have as much fun as possible and don't worry about anyone else other than you and your date.

I know I had fun at prom/Jprom =P.

Top Bottom